sign in here

Guest JediIgor

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be kidding me!

Scath, he's not joking; it's true.

Same deal for Australia and New Zealand. It's kind of like the Royalty rules the countries and just happened to have taken capital in Britian (but not truly). :? Okay, that made no sense . . . but what can you expect when I try to explain something?

Wormie, I take it that you were eventually able to recover from the knee injury?

Yeah, but it's still not the same, I can't run for a long time without it hurting, and it hurts when it's damp outside aswell. 24 years old and I have a minor form of arthritis that will only get worse with age. :cry:

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Wormie, I take it that you were eventually able to recover from the knee injury?

Yeah, but it's still not the same, I can't run for a long time without it hurting, and it hurts when it's damp outside aswell. 24 years old and I have a minor form of arthritis that will only get worse with age. :cry:

Ouch . . . sorry to hear that.

Did the Airborne training still linger in the unit while you were there, or was it just normal infantry training? (I'm quite curious)

It was just normal Infantry training, nothing special, 16 weeks of pure hell. :wink:

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

WORMIE, RUN! The nurses are pure evil!

16 weeks of pure hell, ehh? Sounds awfully familiar to what the guys here go through too, but they probably whine more than the Canadians. :lol: How did your unit move about? Ground vehicles, helicopters, airplanes, etc?

Mostly ground vehicles, but we did use planes on the odd occasion. I don't know aboot Canadians whining less, there were an awful lot of whiners in my platoon as well. :lol:

Sounds like a military personnel characteristic (the whining).

As far as ground vehicles went, what were they: wheeled trucks, track vehicles, etc?

Sorry for asking sooo many questions, but I'm VERY curious (when I find a foreign soldier, I ask as MANY questions as I can think of before they yell at me to stop). :lol:

Guest Scathane

Okay, in the Netherlands the structure is as follows:

The queen hasn't any real political might. Anything she does or says is the Prime Minister's direct and personal responsibility. However, after we've had an election, the parties that want to make an attempt at forming a majority and to form a coalition for governing the country, are guided by a man called the Informator. This Informator-dude is appointed by the queen. Likewise, if the government falls untimely, the Prime Minister resign to the queen.

I imagine that Britain's sort of got the same thing. I would understand any formal ties between the British Royal House and Canada, Australia and New Zealand, but that's about it. And if you ask me, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all technically and constitutionally have autonomous governments, which haven't got any formal or political ties to Great Britain or it's Royal House than have EU or Benelux countries.

Sounds like a military personnel characteristic (the whining).

As far as ground vehicles went, what were they: wheeled trucks, track vehicles, etc?

Sorry for asking sooo many questions, but I'm VERY curious (when I find a foreign soldier, I ask as MANY questions as I can think of before they yell at me to stop). :lol:

ARGH!!! STOP ASK ALL THOSE QUESTIONS!!!!

ROFL there you had it :P J/K btw ;)

Jedi Corran Duchai at your service.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no death; there is the Force.

We used wheeled trucks. And do't worry about all the questions, I don't mind sharing what I know.

Okay, in the Netherlands the structure is as follows:

• The queen hasn't any real political might. Anything she does or says is the Prime Minister's direct and personal responsibility. However, after we've had an election, the parties that want to make an attempt at forming a majority and to form a coalition for governing the country, are guided by a man called the Informator. This Informator-dude is appointed by the queen. Likewise, if the government falls untimely, the Prime Minister resign to the queen.

I imagine that Britain's sort of got the same thing. I would understand any formal ties between the British Royal House and Canada, Australia and New Zealand, but that's about it. And if you ask me, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all technically and constitutionally have autonomous governments, which haven't got any formal or political ties to Great Britain or it's Royal House than have EU or Benelux countries.

We do have an autonomous government but the Queen does still have veto power over our laws, though she doesn't use it. She also has a represntative in our government called the Govener-General, who speaks on behalf of the Queen.

What weapons did you guys use? Like, as far as primary assault rifle, did you guys use the Canadian version of the M16A2 (I think it's called the C7 or the C8) or another weapon?

I beleive it was the C7, that sounds familiar, though I could be wrong, it has been 6 years since I was there.

We do have an autonomous government but the Queen does still have veto power over our laws, though she doesn't use it. She also has a represntative in our government called the Govener-General, who speaks on behalf of the Queen.

I believe Australia and New Zealand are the same way. I wonder, though, what would happen if a monarch came to power and suddenly decided to start exercising his or her powers. . . .

Makes for the plot of a very interesting story. . . .

What weapons did you guys use? Like, as far as primary assault rifle, did you guys use the Canadian version of the M16A2 (I think it's called the C7 or the C8) or another weapon?

I beleive it was the C7, that sounds familiar, though I could be wrong, it has been 6 years since I was there.

Sorry, the other C was meant to be C8, but the combination of 8 and ).

I suspected it was the C7. I imagine your platoon was commanded by a lieutenant of some sort, correct? (like a second lieutenant . . . I believe your ranking system is the same as the U.S.'s, at the junior officer level)

No it was actually a Captain who commanded my platoon. Compared to the Seargent and Master Corporal who handled my basic training he was a pushover :wink:

Guest Scathane
Sheez! What incredible nonsense. That just goes on to prove that laws are hopelessly behind reality. :roll:

Sheez! What incredible nonsense. That just goes on to prove that laws are hopelessly behind reality. :roll:

Those darn descent-of-monarchy-governments. :roll::wink:

Well, I suppose it's all rooted, not in reality, but more so in tradition and formalities.

Guest Scathane
Well, it's not that I am a fervent opposer of monarchies but still... If you think about it, it's pretty weird that a free country should have a formal head of state who's in this position by means of heritage... :roll:

I don't think that many people here think of ourselves as part of a Monarchy, as you said, we are a free country. The only thing that reminds us of being part of the Monarghy is the Queens face on almost all of our Money.

Guest Scathane
I don't think that many people here think of ourselves as part of a Monarchy, as you said, we are a free country. The only thing that reminds us of being part of the Monarghy is the Queens face on almost all of our Money.
We still have that thoo, although now that we have the euro, we're constantly reminded of the fact that our money is an invention by politicians... :?

I agree that most of don't regularly think of ourselves as part of a monarchy... That's the disturbing part of it... :(