Episode II Death Star Reference...

Jahled

As I was wandering around my local supermarket this afternoon my mind slipped off, as it does when my partner starts talking about her job, and I was wandering what significance George Lucas was hinting at when he referenced the Death Star plans at the end of AOTC. Will the Death Star be referenced in Episode III? There's an awefully big time gap between III and a New Hope! What do you dudes and dudettes reckon?
http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JediIgor

I reckon Lucas is an idiot for not listening to any advice when making the prequels.. that is why they suck btw.

According to TFN's encyclopedia, they were merely the original plans and were actually designed by Tol Sivron .. maybe it's kinda how the VSDs are based on the Acclamators.

I agree with your assessment Igor. Had Lucas taken the EU into acocunt when making the prequels, the reslut would have been a more interesting story.

he probably was just stubborn and didn't want to rethink his whole plot.

For years I always believed that the clones were the bad guys, right from the start. I would have never imagined a Republic without an army, and I had expeceted there to be a million Jedi at least.

I would have wanted to see Nejaa Halcyon, Ylenic, Jorus C'Baoth, Kinman Doriana, Garm, and all other chars in the movies, and not in novels that are trying to tie the prequel story to the post ROTJ-EU.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Dudes! Bare in mind the opening lines of A New Hope in the book, explaining how the Old-Republic was undermined by corruption and political self-interest, thereby enabling Senator Palpatine his rise to power!

I'm actually not going to knock the two prequels so far, because as far as the larger picture goes concerning the Empire, and how it came to be, the story line George has given us is actually quite good. Check his smug grin watching his clones march onto his Acclamators...take into account his schemeing to get himself elected in the Phantom Menice, and you grasp the cunning of his plans...

Despite feeling glum leaving the movie theatre after episode I, hearing Imperial March in the final scene of episode II left my whole body awoken with static when I realized the deviousness of the Emperor's designs to power....

To my original point, Igor, i'm presuming that's http://www.theforce.net you're using as a referance? Is that official?

Is the Death Star going to be a feature in episode III, and if so, in what way?

Probably the Death Star plans have to be taken to the shipyard were they will be built, I don't think we'll be seeing much of them.

BTW, there was an earlier appearance of the Death Star in rogue planet, Apparently it was designed by Raith Sienar and Bevel Lemelisk. THen it was give to a younger Wilhuff Tarkin.

Guest Scathane
The Death Star didn't take thirty years to build did it?

I'm not sure, although the second Death Star was operational within three years after the first Death Star's demise. It seems that a time gain of 27 years is an awful lot.

The Death Star didn't take thirty years to build did it?

I'm not sure, although the second Death Star was operational within three years after the first Death Star's demise. It seems that a time gain of 27 years is an awful lot.

Which is why i'm curious as to why George included it in Episode II! He can't just ignore this reference in Episode III!

The plot thickens...

Oh, and Swarmer dude,you quite right! The Emperor was one crafty so and so, representing Naboo one moment, Emperor of a galactic Empire the next, whilst exterminating the Jedi Order in the process....devious or what!

Guest Scathane
do we know when the second was started - the emperor was a devious man...

:arrow: The EU databank just implies that work on the Death Star II was started after the demise of the first. Beside that, the second DS was bigger than the first, so there were design improvements, which makes it seem unlikely that the Empire worked on both at the same time. You could argue that the Empire incorporated a Product Leadership strategy, but this seems unlikely when you look at Tie Fighters and other mass produced units, which more or less tells you the Empire is all for Operational Excellence. :lol:

I don't know whether the plot will thicken, Jahled... In my opinion, Lucas is a whimsical man who often discovers that his latest 'great' idea is in conflict with previous 'great' ideas. So he (or rather, they) adjust, and adjust, and adjust, and so on.

In this respect, I can't help but wonder what Lucas will do after Episode III. It is said that he won't make episodes VII, VIII and IX, but on the other hand, Star Wars is just too commercially interesting to give up on..... :?:

I'll whole-heartedly agree with you on your last point! The more George gets back into the whole Star Wars saga, the more he gets richer; the more he's going to realize he'll be staring into a void after Episode III. From the very beginning in 1977 when the first movie came out there was talk of nine episodes. Our mouths watered even in the seventees! I don't reckon he'll call it a day after Episode III, even after the DVD project he says 'will take so much time.'

Jahled thought.

The original cast are, however, getting on a bit though....

Guest Scathane

Forget the old cast. Apart from Harrison Ford for Han Solo (who, by the way, would ante up the costs for the movies considerably) or all other who are either covered under three layers of makeup OR behind a mask of some kind, I for one am not waiting for Mark Hamill to make his comeback to the big screen. Or for Carrie Fisher, for that matter.

Nevertheless, it isn't to say he would do the last three episodes..... He has an entire expanded universe to delve from. And, taking into amount that Jedi and Sith seem to have considerable attraction to large audiences, I would say he could go for something like KOTOR. Especially with actors of renown in the cast!

Something like KOTOR would be nice.

The Republic existed for a thousand generations, there is still a lot to develop there. Episodes VII, VIII, IX, would be a pretty bad idea since they have already been developed, unless he would look into a farther future and tell us of the death of Luke, Leia and Han. But the risk of messing up are enormously high.

Guest JediIgor

He could make a movie about the Yuuzhan Vong trilogy.. he's creative I am sure he can sum up 20+ books in 3 movies :)

Besides Lucas is so rich hiring Harrison Ford would be a cinch for him :roll:

Guest Scathane

As you guys may have understood by now, I have never, ever in my life, read a Star Wars novel. My knowledge comes from 5 Star Wars movies, some games, a Thanksgiving Star Wars televison movie with Wookies and the EU Databank.

Considering my total lack of knowledge as displayed above, would a lot of people get angry if I say that, from what I've read in the EU Databank, I do not quite see what's so ineteresting about the Yuuzhan Vong?

From what I've heard about Eps. vii, viii, ix,(if they are to be made) they are supposed to be about Ben Skywalker, which would explain the drastic age difference for the original SW characters... but don't quote me on this.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Guest Scathane
From what I've heard about Eps. vii, viii, ix,(if they are to be made) they are supposed to be about Ben Skywalker, which would explain the drastic age difference for the original SW characters... but don't quote me on this.

Who's Ben Skywalker?

Wow! Where did you get that information dude?

BTW: Ben Skywalker is Luke's & Mara Jade's kid, right guys?

Yes, Ben Skywalker is Luke and Mara's kid, he was born in one of the Edge of Victory books.

Him and the Solo Kids, Jacen and Jaina. And Chewie's son, and Corran's and Wedge's and the son of the aunt of the manicurist of the righthand man to the chief assistant of the lousy ensign that served on the emperor's private yacht.

Packing the twenty books from NJO into Three movies couls be done. Three hour movies, though.

movie One: Vector prime and parts of the stackpole books, and agents of chaos.

movie Two: edge of victory, Start by Star, traitor, rebel dream and rebel stand.

movie three: Destiny's way, final profecy and unifying Force.

Guest Scathane
Interesting. Still I tend to agree that Lucas would first make a movie and then the books, beit for commercial purposes only...

Maybe that's why there have been no books about him, just the Solo twins.

Also heard that before the NJO books are finished more main characters will go the way of Chewie and Anakin Solo

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

Guest Scathane
Maybe that's why there have been no books about him, just the Solo twins.

Also heard that before the NJO books are finished more main characters will go the way of Chewie and Anakin Solo

That's an interesting notion. You're saying that Lucas deliberately hasn't made any novels on Ben Skywalker for the purpose of future films?!

Exactly!!

I also think that when Mark Hamill first signed on to play Luke , he signed a 4 movie deal.