Shiplist

Gank

They don't care for this game (anymore?).

Anyway, that's a thing I also missed. I somewhat countered this by slowing down research by giving no character the ability for R&D and putting all things not available at the start into research (like Rebel Dreadnaught, you don't have any at the start but can build them). Slowed things down so the SSD did not become available at day 900 as it always did before.

OK, let's get things done. All these small discussions lead us nowhere. Since it did not work putting up too many things for discussion at once, let's do one thing after another.

What about Corvettes and Nebulon-B Frigates? Modified or original version.

Modified would justify putting them into research and thus making the technical progress slower. They are more powerful and would not so easily be blasted by all the new ships that are going to be included.

Original would mean more flexibility from the start and would fit the canon better since the unmodified versions are more common than their modified counterparts.

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Good luck, I once tried to raise them to get some infos on the savegames, but the webadmin, or WebJedi didn't even bother answering...

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

The first shiplist is on page one (by Gank). I picked it up one or two pages after that to make some suggestions.

Rebels would be using a modified Strike Cruiser with gravity well projectors like the one seen in XvT:BoP.

What about those Corvettes and Frigates?

I won't go away until I get some straight answers! ;)

My vote is for modified...if my vote counts! :D

They have to be able to survive!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Oh, sorry...I was talking about modified Corvettes and Frigates...

I kind of jumped over a few posts. :oops:

Yes, the standard INT is perfect for the Rebs.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

There is a problem with the standard INT. Since BOTH sides would have to have it, it would become available to both sides simultaniously, with the same stats etc.

We can't make the INT only available to the rebels since it was one of Thrawns major advantages in the war.

I dunno when the New Republic finally began producing the INT (When did Sienar Fleet Systems join them, anyway? Did they ever?), but it's far off in the future. Just for timeline's sake, it would be OK to leave the republic without an interdictor for a long long time, but balance wise it would be just horrible.

Nemesis has a good point on the Mod Strike Cruiser though. There was only one ship completed, a second destroyed during construction.

But the rebels are not supposed to having interdictors at that time. All the stuff about gravity well generators first having to be stolen from imperial ships etc. would justify making the ship available relatively late and for a high cost.

Rebel Star Destroyers are covered with the upcoming Republic and Nebula Class ships.

Trejiuvanat is right about the Nebulon-B2 frigate. It only has about 80% of the original's power. On the other hand, it's only half its size. :)

In terms of power, the original would be better, so I would agree to Modified Corvettes and Nebulon-B frigates.

Guest JediIgor
I think Tsunami explained most of it.. but if the Rebels get the INT, they would get it right away (because it was already designed by then). The imps on the other hand would be stuck without a ship with gravity wells until they researched the Dominator. Alternately, both sides could get the INT.. but then what fun would that be? :(

I see two, maybe three distinct possibilities:

First of all: The Imperials get to have the INT. There is no way around it. :)

First one: New Republic gets the INT, too, at a later point in the game, on a different card.

Second: Republic gets the Mod Strike Cruiser, just for diversities sake.

Third: Republic only gets the Dominator (the imps get it, too) and is thus at a disadvantage, which might make balancing the whole shipyards issue a bit easier since the imps can chose their fights up to that point.

Both sides should get the Dominator.

OR: Only the Rebels get the Dominator (not the original one, more like the ISDs Mon Mothma and Elegos A'kla from NJO); the imperials have their second interdictor in the Eclipse/Sovereign.

Ok guys I'm posting the 2 shiplists in the private forums for a bit of discussion there and we'll get them to you soon. The ships I've put there were chosen for there appearance in the books and soon after and the economic and political situations of both sides. As for the modified versions of corvette and frigate, both were around before the battle of Endor so they're not really good choices for research. Plus the stock versions appear in the book and look 10 times better.

There are near infinite versions of those ships; at least one of them was not already researched during the Thrawn period.

I, too, don't like the idea of researching those ships, but otherwise there won't be much to research. The game would be boring because you have reached max techlevel at day 600.

Of course the first rule is to stick to the Expanded Universe, but if it makes the game miss out on possibilities, we have to stray from that rule.

Anyways, how do I get access to that "private forum" (my membership has been pending for two months now...)? And why discuss it there? Only registered users can view the forums, and although there are 1.5k of them, most don't drop by very often. So why bother?

No matter which side you play as in Balance of Power, the Rebels escape with at least one Modified Strike Cruiser. In the raid mission you do near the end as an Imperial, one hyperspaces away before you can get to it (no matter if you dump all energy to engines). If you play as Rebels, everything turn hunky dory. The Rebels can reproduce the technology easily from a model, and they have it.
Hello

Guest JediIgor

Are you a staff at a group? Perhaps helping Gank's modelling group, Monsh's card group, or the_mask's DLL entries group? You need to be one of those to access the Members Only section :wink:.

The reason we did it in there is that it would have less discussion (because less people have access there).

I know waht you mean Igor: Less people with fewer opinions to get together. And since they are the 'insiders' they are the ones really interested who post useful stuff.

But why then even bother with this forum?

Gank: Could you send me those shiplists, so that I can at least say what I don't like about them (not that it matters, anyway)?

is balance of power any good Knightcrawler? I keep meaning to get it bu can never actually get down to it. And the ideas that we have so far are good ones. I guess if the Rebels don't get to have an INT then they will have to get some other advantage because they will not be able to defeat the empire outright. They will have to trick the AI into thinkiong that they have a beter chance and you will probally loose alot. The empire will just run if your numbers are too great. That seems to me as unfair.
The Force is one and all

Balance of Power is good, but my old video card isn't compatable with my new motherboard, so I am running video off the motherboard. That means no 3D acceleration, which in turn means no LucasArts games from the past 7 years. That and I lost the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter CD, and I even had an original mislabeled disc. :P But Balance of Power is a great addition to X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, especially if you have friends to play campaigns with you. Playing a mission on either side and in different craft is pretty fun, and all the missions are challenging. Of course, it's incredibly difficult to get the best ribbons for each mission, so it can keep you playing a long time.
Hello

I can't find BoP anywhere, and i've only got the XvT from the set with Xwing and Tie Fighter as well, which apparently is the wrong version. :(

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away