SoGE Map Thread

Ludo Kressh

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which map is this? I've been running the Deep Core personally; I haven't seen an issue with Supercap Foundries spawning. It's laggy as balls though.

The huge galaxy one, which tbh I always had fears it would be too laggy to play. Anything even close to 100 planets and the maps struggle like hell. Not too sure on the reason for the supercap factorys not being there tbh, everything looks set right in galaxyforge ?

Lavo I was going to ask is there anyway of having more than one supercap ? I know I have asked this before just not sure what the reply was ? I was thinking maybe two/three executors at anyone time ? I am sure there's a line by princess Leia during return of the jedi "there must be hundreds of command ships throughout the galaxy" referring to the superstar destroyer they pass in shuttle Tyderion. If this is hard coded or not do-able then fair do's just thought I would ask, some bigger maps would be nice to have thise as the ultimate command ship of say a couple of fleets.

Yes, it's quite easily done, you just need to make the player start with additional planets, each of which have a Supercap Foundry. For example, if took one of the Extra Planets random maps and put a Supercap Foundry on the Asteroid and Low Terran you start with; a player could have three Executors.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Yes, it's quite easily done, you just need to make the player start with additional planets, each of which have a Supercap Foundry. For example, if took one of the Extra Planets random maps and put a Supercap Foundry on the Asteroid and Low Terran you start with; a player could have three Executors.

Cool got it m8 :)

Thanks for the Deep Core fix, I somehow managed to get it to work. I'm switching Vulpus with Kins though; this is mainly so the AI doesn't conquer the planet and then sit still while it waits to get the research done in order to colonize said planet. Personally I'd suggest making either Nur or Vulp Minor the focal point of that system, as Terrans are much easier to dig into. Though I must admit, Vulpter, if you are a human and can get it early enough, made an excellent, impenetrable focal point, as I've discovered in my current game.

Also, maybe you should play around with the metersPerGalaxyUnit setting of the map? I've noticed they all use 25000, which is pretty large. That setting is what determines how much space there is between planets, aka. how large the map is. Also, it seems that you can actually load my edited maps into the GalaxyForge, even without those fancy hyperspace edits; one just either needs to remove those settings after the edit, or make them all larger than 0, for the map to load in Rebellion.

Also, you've got some fans! A few people have commented positively on, and enjoy, your maps.

Cool thanks for the feedback :)

Im going to try do another one soonish but Im a bit busy in the coming weeks as my TF2 team are starting to play highlander again :) And they need some organising :)

If theres any problems just let me know and I can try and fix them as quick as possible :)

Phaeda was the other starting planet that doesn't show any shipyards.

I don't know what's going on.

Btw I fixed the map crashing by giving my system a 1GB page file. Go figure.

Update: I re-downloaded the entire mod and there is still no shipyard at any of the starting planets. Does anyone have a Titan factory on the big galaxy map?

So it's the Star Wars Galaxy Huge Free For All map that you are having this issue on? Please confirm what map that's giving you trouble so we can look into it.

Edit: I see the issue; the starting planets were defined as Terran planets, and not TerranHome, so they are not spawning with the correct modules. Will fix.

Cheers Lavo for the fix, I didnt realise the starting planets had to be TerranHome planets, I thought adding the home planet prefix to the planet type would automatically sort the issue. I will take note in the future :)

No, that's a different thing, however it's necessary as well. You'd have to modify the planet's template/starting items in the GF if you want to use anything other than TerranHome or DesertHome as a starting planet.

In the Gordian Reach, wouldn't Yavin 4 be better represented by a Jungle or High Jungle planet?

Hmm TerranHome I guess I originally had it planned as a starting point and forgot to go back and change it.

I have changed it to a Jungle planet > I was thinking of going forest there isn't much differance between the two. I decided against HighSwamp as isnt that for highly populated planets ?

In anycase heres the link to the new version:http://www.gamefront.com/files/22497846/Gordian+Reach.rar

Enjoy, thanks for the feedback :D

Played a 6 hour game on the big Galaxy map. Things start slowing down once you uncover about 40 planets. It's a game engine issue I think because turning everything off, and I mean everything, has no impact on performance. I then jacked everything to max to see if it's worse and it wasn't.

I like the occasional high industrial planet and Bastion Moon you threw out there. It helps create a border for your empire. I learned that once you get a certain number of planets you start making an insane amount of resources but it becomes increasingly impossible to protect said planets due to the very many hyperspace lanes. I think that's fine as going out of your comfort zone should have some risk / reward thing going on and this way it does.

Going to play a much longer game this time from a different starting point and see how it goes.

The big galaxy map will slow down due to the sheer amount of planets it has; it's due to the game engine's 32-bit limitations.

This is so true and honestly probably holds the map back so so much :(

I will probably at some point do a re-release closer to the roiginal without so many planets and certainly remove any excess to help with gameplay issues, really the very max planets you can use without taking too much away is probably closer to 150 - 200.

I would suggest, instead, to just make a second version of the map; keep the one with the current number of planets, and just let people choose if they want to deal with the lag or not.

I played for 4 and a half hours today and stuck to only 6 planets to see what happens. The game starts to degrade around the 2-3 hour mark. I think it has to do with the NPCs unlocking more and more planets and eventually it's just too much.

This is just unplayable because it turns into a slideshow so you can't enjoy it anymore. I also noticed that the game, from the moment you start the game, very randomly enables the AI so your ships refuse to attack or move toward the enemy. Once it becomes "work" it stops being a game.

It's unfortunate, and I've seen the same myself. In all truth, SoGE is really optimized for multiplayer; much of the big changes that were made in the transition from the 1.01+ beta to 2.0E were based on, and tested in, multiplayer games. The recent capital conversion project was made to try and make the AI more formidable, which it has, but the AI is still limited by it's seemingly hardcoded shortcomings and ineptitude.

It's unfortunate, and I've seen the same myself. In all truth, SoGE is really optimized for multiplayer; much of the big changes that were made in the transition from the 1.01+ beta to 2.0E were based on, and tested in, multiplayer games. The recent capital conversion project was made to try and make the AI more formidable, which it has, but the AI is still limited by it's seemingly hardcoded shortcomings and ineptitude.

But it works just fine in a map that is limited to say 90 planets. I have only ever seen an AI failure in this massive 500+ planet map. I don't understand why the AI doesn't function from the get go. Maybe it has something to do with how memory is used in the game and with so many planets it just crowds out the AI.

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone, hows things going long time no see :)

Well I am unfortunately very busy in RL atm so haven't been here for ages it seems.

So how are the maps coming along I know mick was going to do some rescaling on some of them, correct? Is there any work still to be done or any map requests anyone has ? I would be willing to make a couple of new maps if they were wanted ?