SoGE Map Thread

Ludo Kressh

That might be helpful, but I can't see where I've got anything set wrong. Maybe I have some graphics option or some other interface option set wrong? I've tried both everything low and everything max, neither helps. I've tried just loading the CORE mod and nothing else, I still get the same insta-defeat.

I can get vanilla Rebellion to work just fine, as well as the SotF mod, so it's not my install, but obviously something isn't right with my SOGE install. I'd re-download it but that'd be like the 4th time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might be helpful, but I can't see where I've got anything set wrong. Maybe I have some graphics option or some other interface option set wrong? I've tried both everything low and everything max, neither helps. I've tried just loading the CORE mod and nothing else, I still get the same insta-defeat.

I can get vanilla Rebellion to work just fine, as well as the SotF mod, so it's not my install, but obviously something isn't right with my SOGE install. I'd re-download it but that'd be like the 4th time.

You havent added any maps to the default galaxy.manifest within the default SINS install ? Or there aren't any other files in the default install which could be causing it ? The maps are located within the Galaxy Folder within only the CORE folder ? None of the others ?

Im seriously scratching my head ... all my in game settings are default ? it couldn't be an old galaxydefscenario file causing a problem ?

Which maps have you got listed in your galaxy.manifest did you say soemthing like 84 ?? I think that maybe way too many for what should be in the one for the mod .. though I would like that clarified tbh as Im not 100% sure.

You havent added any maps to the default galaxy.manifest within the default SINS install ? Or there aren't any other files in the default install which could be causing it ? The maps are located within the Galaxy Folder within only the CORE folder ? None of the others ?

Im seriously scratching my head ... all my in game settings are default ? it couldn't be an old galaxydefscenario file causing a problem ?

Which maps have you got listed in your galaxy.manifest did you say soemthing like 84 ?? I think that maybe way too many for what should be in the one for the mod .. though I would like that clarified tbh as Im not 100% sure.

I added them to galaxy.manifest within the CORE folder, and the maps themselves within the galaxy folder under CORE. I noticed that the entity.manifest was referencing some entries that don't exist, and a few entities in it didn't have spaces or carriage returns to split them up. when I did so, sins dumped, but I"m guessing that's at least part of the issue.

I saw in the other thread that you have a bunch of red ! on your folders, that typically means you've got stuff in the folders that don't match the repository, I'm wondering if that's what's letting you load those maps successfully.

When it comes to maps, I wouldn't suggest adding them to the Galaxy folder, that screws with your SoGE install. Instead add them to your Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion\GalaxyForge folder; you can still load the maps the same way, they'll just be under the "Galaxy Forge" section in the map menu.

I'd suggest reinstalling the latest build of TortoiseSVN and rerunning SVN Checkout; there's a small chance that it's the SVN program itself causing issues. I'm really at a loss to explain your issues.

Also, I'm home now, so I'll take a better look at 1.04.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Been busy getting the mod uptodate and working on the capital conversion project, haven't been able to look at 'em.

np m8, It was just a general question to everyone :) I know we cannot ask you to do absolutly everything Lavo :)

New 5 player map, welcome to The Gordian Reach including Yavin etc. Rougly 40/50 planets, a few systems, random starting points, no pirates.

Download link http://www.gamefront.com/files/22210763/Gordian+Reach.rar

Please leave me feedback, out of interest how do people feel about there being no pirates in most of the maps I make ? Good/Bad ?

Newest map files available here:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22224577/SOGE-Maps.rar

Hutt Space has been updated as per NovaCamerons suggestions for Nar Shadaa and Nal Hutta. All maps that had the dodgey starting positions should be sorted now and be classed as Home planets.

Also two new maps:

1> Ardan Cross > Much smaller version Gordian Reach, 2 player, random starting, 20 planets approx.

2> The Deep Core > 6 player map, a lot of planets 50+, random starting, lots of systems.

Please leave any feedback good or bad, then I can update accordingly.

Im currently working on 4 large maps: The corporate sector, Modell sector and neighbours, Greater Javin and Arkanis Sector.

Ludo are you still around m8? If so which maps you working on, the list doesn't seem to be present anymore?

Lavo, would you include these in the next update/revision for people to try, then let them leave feedback?

Yes the maps are as correct to canon as can be with some slight tweaks to make them play well within the game. Every planet is researched via wookiepedia and placed accordingly by using available maps, some maps do contradict each other though.

If theres any mistakes let me know and I can change them as needed. As for the star systems please let me know if you like it or not? It is a feature that can possibly be used more or less depending on feedback, personally I quite like it as some systems have more than one inhabitable planet thus grouping them together makes sense and also allows travel between systems without having to daisy chain your way through every planet if not needed. There are some cons to the systems too, but I would like to know what people think? The newest map with lots of systems The Deep Core may need changing at some point as I was not entirely satisfied how it looked, but please let me know.

Out of interest is anyone ahving any issues with the zoom level on any of the maps ?

I have found a few issues with them on a couple of the maps, the issue stems from teh different systems(stars) being on different heights than each other. If this is a problem for others I can set at changing this immediately by removing the different systems instead sticking with only the one star. I find having space battles within planets of different systems that the zoom level is not right and I cannot see my ships until I zoom right in.

Is anyone else noticing this ? Is it worse on maps with more systems ?

Had a few problems with this, but not worth changing. I could always rotate around and get the view I was after.

Cheers for the feedback zoommooz .... but too late :) Already changed them, it was annoying the hell out of me last night especially the deep core map.

All the maps which where effected by this have been sorted and changed to a single star map. This should eliminate this annoying bug, in future I will stick to the singular star route.

Download pack for the maps to update with is here, could you please add them to the SVN Lavo when possible ? Thanks.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22279410/Galaxy.rar

Any plans to eventually try to make a Galaxy Map again?

Yes, I did have an idea about doing one recently full of systems/sectors etc but unfortunatly have put that on hold. I will probably do an updated version of the previous galaxy map. Im not sure if the previous one will be able to be updated easily to Rebellion rather than copying out a brand new one.

Out of interest was there any problems or mistakes on the previous map, which could be improved on in any new version ?

It has been a while since I last played it but I would say it's important to have chock points in key sectors. Otherwise it becomes impossible to defend your empire against an invasion fleet even if they take a while to travel from one planet to another. Why waste resources on defenses when you can build a massive fleet and roll around the map instead. People will always go for what is more efficient.

If I was designing it I would break up the map into the various major sectors. They would each be an "arm" of the galaxy. Some small, some massive. Obviously there would be some interconnection between the larger sectors but mostly they would be their own regions. This way you can carve yourself out a piece of the galaxy if your enemies are overpowering and try to make a stand. It would give a reason to build defenses and you can guarantee to see major fleet engagements instead of just taking a fleet and rolling around a map fighting 1-2 ships at a time.

Anyway that was my takeaway from the map design. It's basically a "if you build it they will come" strategy. If there are no chock points then it's the same ole same ole.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the core worlds. You would need to design the core worlds as their own region or split it into two regions since they would be the most prized planets in the galaxy. Their downside would be either no chock points or having to deal with many of them which means if you plan to hold anything you better have ridiculous defenses. Assaulting them should be equally daunting.

Im not sure if the previous one will be able to be updated easily to Rebellion rather than copying out a brand new one.

It's probably easier to update the old map to Rebellion standards. I can do it, but I'll need time, mainly due to being swamped by school.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Im not sure if the previous one will be able to be updated easily to Rebellion rather than copying out a brand new one.

It's probably easier to update the old map to Rebellion standards. I can do it, but I'll need time, mainly due to being swamped by school.

Ok, if your busy with other stuff Lavo don't worry for now. R/L is always more important :) I may just have a go at re plotting it all onto a new version. I would need to list all the planets>types>position then place them the same. It wouldn't take too long really probably a week or so max if I can find the time between other stuff.

If I was going to update it, is not a case of adding an extra couple of lines in for each planet ?

2IRRC> Yes I hear what your saying in one sense, however the problem is I think keeping all the basic hyperlanes as cannon or as close as is essential to making it feel right. I think there are some valuable choke points if memory serves me right but with there being so many planets it always seemed to reach a long way out into the galaxy > at least for me from memory. It always seemed to take a good while into the game before encountering any true AI fleets.

I think a couple of things could be doen to overcome this A> Add more players to the map make it maybe 12 players, downside is it may cause it to slow quicker- not sure. Or B> Give players a starting empire of planets to control.- I had plans to release 4 versions of the map which would have been 2/3 players with starting empires one from the clone wars era and one death star era either 1ABY or 4ABY with one being available for each of the major sides in the conflict. So REP vs CIS, CIS vs REP, EMP vs REB, REB vs EMP.

Or C> the other thing I thought of was give pirates a much more significant role in the map, I know I often overloook pirates and barley ever include them in maps etc, but on a really huge map like this maybe strong pirate forces would make key defensive planets a must to stop invading forces.

Out of memory key defensive planets from empires POV were Dorin to the North, Yag'Dhul to the South if you get that far, Brentaal to the East and Denon to the South East. That always closed off the entire Deep/Core Worlds to everything outside.

To the North also there was a nice area around Imperial Space and the Corperate sector which could be easily closed off.

With all the newer maps I have been doing recently there is scope to add a tonne more planets in which could as suggested create little mini sub sectors etc, just I'm not too sure hwo well Rebellion would handle any more planets added, is the whole lag issue a thing for anyone ? TBH I havent had lag on this for a long time now BUT I havent tried playing a map this size in a longtime.

If everyone thinks it would be a good idea I will put the ball in motion, just please give me some ideas and thoughts to shoot at. Does anything I have mentioned sound good/bad please tell :) Is there a demand for this map to be back ?