SoGE Map Thread

Ludo Kressh

In this thread we'll detail the progress had on certain maps to be used with SoGE: Rebellion. Post all updates, questions, comments, ideas here.

The goals:

A) Convert the current vanilla SoSE maps for use with SoGE.

B) Create maps based off of existing Star Wars astrographic charts and maps as closely as possible.

Here are my proposals for the Star Wars maps:

Post any other suggestions below for discussion! :D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As supercaps are no longer in the capital ship section, I'm considering letting people get the first capital ship free for maps now. Thoughts?
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

I think it would be a good idea on larger maps to let players get a good foot hold on larger maps where contact with the enemy maybe takes a little longer. Smaller maps Im always a little scepticle of the idea as basically once you both bump into each other and one gets wiped out the winning team from that battle usually rolls the map quickly afterwards. But that is just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
All the Randoms are ready to go. Seems I didn't have to do any work with them like I thought i would have to. Also fixed up Interconnected and Interconnected Trio.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21973345/Galaxy.rar

They are all in the rar folder, they have been slightly sorted and tweeked from the first set I posted up. They have all been made using the new Galaxy Forge so are fully usable in there. I have two other maps underway Hutt Space and Chiss Acedancy but progress is slow atm as Im real busy with R/L Stuff will try get some more time next week.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21978966/The+Chiss+Ascendancy.galaxy

Hey I think I'll just dump this here :)

3 player map Chiss Acedancy all finished and ready to roll :) Please note this has not been tested much at all, so any mistakes please elt me know. Fingers crossed I may get the Hutt Space map finished tomorrow too.

Ok its finally here ... Hutt Space. All finished, it is a big map approx 100 planets. I have made it with upto 7 players with random starting positions, Can you eliminate the other Hutt tribes to become head of the Hutt clans and ruler of Hutt Space?

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21985060/Hutt+Space.galaxy dwonload link.

Let me know if there is any problems with any of the maps so far, all the maps have been made in the new Galaxy Forge and can be loaded in it no problem.

I've dl'd them, haven't been able to get a look at them yet. Will do so before the next patch goes out, so I can include them in it.

interesting that you put a star within a star... I didn't think of that. x.x two edits I know for sure is Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda, should be Large High Swamp and Dwarf Rusty I think. Purposely made those two types for those planets. >.>

interesting that you put a star within a star... I didn't think of that. x.x two edits I know for sure is Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda, should be Large High Swamp and Dwarf Rusty I think. Purposely made those two types for those planets. >.>

Np ty for the feedback, I will change them over. Sometimes I forget which planet types are designed specific etc and its a case of which looks right first. Nova do you fancy a quick look over Chiss Acedancy and give it some feedback also, wasn't sure what yuo had in mind for Csilla ?

lol Csilla is ok. High Ice was designed exactly for Csilla. :P

Cool, cheers. I know a lot of the bigger/more important planets have specific planets designed for them it just sometimes becomes hard to remember them all lol. One I was racking my brains out for was trying to remember Kessel ? I'm sure there is a specific one which looks bang on, but could I hell remember it.

One question I was going to ask, when it comes to planets which are barely described other than maybe military base or defensive planets etc would that all be covered by the bastion moon ?

I like that you liked the stars within a map, I thought it was a cool idea for some small systems with more than one important planet or location, in the hutt space map there are Barab and Da Soocha systems within. In future maps especially larger maps there maybe a few of these as they play out well, I was also thinking if I ever do another large scale map it might be a good idea for different sectors/systems etc. One thing I did notice by doing it though was the height position of the stars were different, with the main star being lower than the other two, not exactly sure why?

One thing I did notice by doing it though was the height position of the stars were different, with the main star being lower than the other two, not exactly sure why?

The game engine randomly determines a planet and star's position in the z-plain.

One thing I did notice by doing it though was the height position of the stars were different, with the main star being lower than the other two, not exactly sure why?

The game engine randomly determines a planet and star's position in the z-plain.

Ah well thats fine no problems, I think one of the maps Im currently doing I may do using this new way. Basically by making X map of a Sector for example I could use one star to house everything within the sector, but then every seperate system within that sector would have its own star. Yes it will take a little longer to create each map but should make for good fun, I think with a more diverse and random set of planets etc. I like the idea of having one fleet per system guarding all its planets :) makes me feel like a proper imperial moff etc. Obviously some systems only have say one or two planets where others may have 6 or 7.

Thoughts ?

The maps, in particular Hutt Space, are quite nice. Admittedly they need some work, for example all the starting planets in Hutt Space are not properly set up to be a capital world, but the planet placement itself is all excellent. I'm putting them in as is for now.

• 1 month later...

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22177783/Galaxy.rar

Thats the link to the 5 maps so far, they have all been updated to include proper starting locations as requested (Every starting planet is now set to HomeClass). Ifs theres any other problems please let me know. I will try to get a few more maps done maybe this week or next should be slightly less chaotic then, any particular requests ?

Ok finished a small map pack it inlcudes 3 new maps. They are:

Mandalorian space shootout: A 4 player map, decently large approx 50 planets, starting locations Mandalore, Taris, Bandomeer and Boordii, random starting locations.

Taris Defence: A 2 player map, starting location Taris, Approx 30 Planets.

Mandalorian Invasion: A 2 Player Map, starting location Mandalore, approx 30 planets - reversed Taris Defence.

Download Link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/22181864/Mandalorian+Map+Pack.rar

Had a very quick play around which everything seems to be ok. All the planets are correct, however I did not have a detailed system by system map to use for the mandalore space so soem systesm may be slightly off within the sectors though all the systems are correct to that sector and thus the map. If there are any more detailed maps I would update accordingly but tbh I dont think there too far away in anycase and should make for better gameplay. Any problems please let me know ASAP. Gordian reach should be next but it may take about a week, then I was thinking maybe a core worlds map ?

Ok finished a small map pack it inlcudes 3 new maps. They are:

Mandalorian space shootout: A 4 player map, decently large approx 50 planets, starting locations Mandalore, Taris, Bandomeer and Boordii, random starting locations.

Taris Defence: A 2 player map, starting location Taris, Approx 30 Planets.

Mandalorian Invasion: A 2 Player Map, starting location Mandalore, approx 30 planets - reversed Taris Defence.

Download Link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/22181864/Mandalorian+Map+Pack.rar

Had a very quick play around which everything seems to be ok. All the planets are correct, however I did not have a detailed system by system map to use for the mandalore space so soem systesm may be slightly off within the sectors though all the systems are correct to that sector and thus the map. If there are any more detailed maps I would update accordingly but tbh I dont think there too far away in anycase and should make for better gameplay. Any problems please let me know ASAP. Gordian reach should be next but it may take about a week, then I was thinking maybe a core worlds map ?

Can you tell me what settings you're playing with to get these to load? I'm running into an issue that no matter what map I start on the game I am defeated instantly, as are any other players I start in the game. kinda frustrating as I'd like to test this alot :/

Go to Victory Options and disable EVERYTHING but Allied victory.

In response to this and the other thread, it happens in the random maps as well as the pre-made maps like Hutt Space or Interconnected. I've tried with Allied victory only, All Victory off, and with Allied and Capitol Victory. Also happens with new maps created with the in game forge. Also tried those three new maps just uploaded, no dice. I'm wondering if I have some remnant of an old SoaS install somewhere, but I thought I got it all. So some other weirdness, not sure if it's related, but my cap ship crews are 999 and my fleet is 0, metal and crystal selling/buying prices looks like they're at their max negative value, and I can't zoom into view anything.

Irksome as this is a fresh install of Reb off Steam, and I've done a verify game cache and re-downloaded all the files via SVN twice now.

Maps for me at least seem to running fine @ 1.04 and revision 909. I do however have a galaxy.manifest file within the Core installation, that should be the only one. Mine currently only has 11 maps enabled, if needed I can send a link to my manifest file and also my galaxy folder with all maps included, if this would help? Please make sure there are no other instances of galaxy.manifest dotted around which could be affecting the one you use for SOGE. I do not use the default one or any of the default or old maps as I found some of those were causing problems occassionally.