SOCL's Website

SOCL

Guest Scathane

The modern transcription of æ is 'a' as in hat, the longer version of which can be found in hand. The œ has no transcription in modern day English. It can be found in German, though, in words such as Göttingen and shön...

Alles klar?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modern transcription of æ is 'a' as in hat, the longer version of which can be found in hand. The œ has no transcription in modern day English. It can be found in German, though, in words such as Göttingen and shön...
Interesting.... Well, if æ is meant as 'a', then why has it been used for such things as Caesar in place of the ae (as well as many others words to replace ae)? Same for œ. I mean, could it be used in place of ae in modern words? Instead of Praetorian, have Prætorian, and instead of Caesar, have Cæsar? :?

Guest Scathane

You're confusing two things... The Old-English æ was phonetically similar to hat and hand, whereas the Lating æ is phonetically equivalent to way or say...

Moreover, in the German language, the e is the same as the ", i.e., Mädchen can be written as Maedchen and shön can be written as schoen.

For the rest, yeah æ is probably interchangeable with ae, the reason that it isn't done that much probably lies in the fact that æ is the phonetical symbol for the sound in hat and hand...

You're confusing two things... The Old-English æ was phonetically similar to hat and hand, whereas the Lating æ is phonetically equivalent to way or say...

Moreover, in the German language, the e is the same as the ", i.e., Mädchen can be written as Maedchen and shön can be written as schoen.

For the rest, yeah æ is probably interchangeable with ae, the reason that it isn't done that much probably lies in the fact that æ is the phonetical symbol for the sound in hat and hand...

Interesting who I predicted you would be the one to know this information (thus my saying learnèd, which was a reference to you). Thank you, again, Scath! :D So, would it be improper for me in my story to interchange ae for æ in only proper nouns and such, or is it one of those things that if I use it for one I should use it for all? Same question applies to œ....

12:55 AM CST, Monday, July 7, 2003:

-Added more to Part 2 of "Magical Lies" where you're at last introduced to the main character
    -Updated the Dramatis Personæ (Field Marshal Cæsar von Asch)
    -Updated the Abbreviations list
    -Updated the Praetorian Guard to Prætorian Guard
    -Updated Aeolus to Æolus
    -I'm still looking for a Good Samaritan to host my stories
    -I'm still looking for a better title for "Magical Lies"
    -I'm still looking for opinions and feedback on the story

As you will notice that certain proper nouns containing the letters ae in them have been updated to give the story a more Latin feel. I did this because I feel Latin is significant to the story in two ways. The first, it signifies the Roman Empire, which relates directly to the Imperium in the story. Secondly, Latin--though considered a dead language--is considered the universal language and I feel that by that it signifies a more international and open outlook on all things. It may not signify such things to my readers, but at least I know that is what it signifies and means to the story.

I said you're at least introduced to the main character, Adrian Ray, but you are probably wondering: "The main character? This last in the story?!" Well, you see, the way I look at it, the main character in this story is the one who struggles the most, not the one who appears the most. Along with that, he is really the only one you will get insight into, unlike the others who you read as if you were talking to them and get very little on their thought process. The only other person who could possibly qualify for the position of main character is Colonel Lee, the Imperator's aide-de-camp, because of his continous observations. In this addition to the story, he is only mentioned, but the next time, you shall truly get to meet him and who he is.

The added parts to "Magical Lies" also includes the introduction of two new prototype desert mobile suits. You see, the original two prototypes were very basic and were unable to take the harsh conditions. You may even recall an engineer in Part 1 commenting about problems with the intakes and the optical sensors due to the sand and dust. In response, two new models of the desert mobile suit were engineered, the YDMS-03 and the YDMS-04. The -03 is called "blue" because of the prototype colors, the other is "squat" because of its design. Well, I'll finish this up. I don't have a picture/drawing of exactly what the -04 looks like, so I found what would sui best and so it looks some-what like this, this, and this.

Edited by SOCL

Guest Scathane

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I', learnèd.. although I did pass my exam! :D:D:D

With regard to your question of using Æ, æ and œ: even if it weren't technically correct, you still have poetic license... :)

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I', learnèd.. although I did pass my exam! :D:D:D
You're being modest, my friend. :D

With regard to your question of using Æ, æ and œ: even if it weren't technically correct, you still have poetic license... :)
I do...don't I?... :twisted: Very well then, I shall use them, but only in proper nouns (and other special occasions) to give the story a unique and open feel.

So, anyone want to share what they think of "Magical Lies" thus far? Maybe questions or comments on what is posted on my site thus far? I'm open to criticism as well (just try to use tact, please).

Guest Scathane
You're being modest, my friend. :D
Okay, let me drop that modesty for just once and quote the description of the exam I have passed:

The NIMA-C diploma is the highest degree in marketing attainable in the Netherlands. The
    examination can be positioned at an MBA level. The study is at a level of post-graduate
    higher vocational or University education in marketing.
    The candidate should be able, starting from the marketing angle and based on the
    objectives of the company, to devise a market and competitive strategy and to indicate
    how, within this framework, the marketing activities of the organization should be set up
    and implemented. The examination is geared to a marketing management function.
    NIMA-examinations are state-recognized and are taken under the supervision of a government-
    appointed examiner.

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

MBA
The Men's Basketball Association? 8O:wink:

The study is at a level of post-graduate

Post-graduate? 8O Meaning, about, doctorate level or some where right before it?! 8O 8O AWESOME!!!

The study is at a level of post-graduate
    The candidate should be able, starting from the marketing angle and based on the
    objectives of the company, to devise a market and competitive strategy and to indicate
    how, within this framework, the marketing activities of the organization should be set up
    and implemented. The examination is geared to a marketing management function.
    NIMA-examinations are state-recognized and are taken under the supervision of a government-
    appointed examiner.

Well, now it has been confirmed, thou art learnèd!!! :D

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And an angry crazy. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back after my computer decided to mysteriously not allow me to visit SWR. It stumbled me, Scath, Evaders, Jahled, and Trej, but no worries now since...well...here I am! :D It's interesting to see the changes. Antilliles' spamming has paid off and now he's a grand admiral (and what an appropriate avatar, at that!). :roll: I'll be posting like I usually do soon enough, and no worries, for those of you who read my story, I will post more soon enough, but I have been unable to have my editor look over it so henceforth, the story is subject to quite a bit of change. No worries, though, I'll post if I make any major changes to already posted parts to the story.

Oh, I updated the pictures of YDMS-04 and the AMS-01A on this page of this thread.

By the way, I know the people who read this thread, but who reads the story itself (out of pure curiosity)?

Guest Scathane
Oh, I updated the pictures of YDMS-04 and the AMS-01A on this page of this thread.
Which page is that? :?

By the way, I know the people who read this thread, but who reads the story itself (out of pure curiosity)?
I've been meaning to, but I haven't come around to it... :oops:

Which page is that? :?
When I posted it started a new page in the thread, so actually I meant the page before this one in this thread. :oops:

I've been meaning to, but I haven't come around to it... :oops:
Uh huh, sure. :wink:

So everyone knows, I'll be updating the webpage that includes the story. I've figured out how to make more than one webpage and will move everything else other than the story to another page and I'll make the page you guys have been viewing (I hope) as the story page. to make it simple: I'm going to update the site, it'll be easier to navigate through and read the story...no worries! :mrgreen:

I updated the picture of the mountain mobile suit back on the first page of this thread. I also added another picture on the page before this one to further illustrate the what the YDMS-04 looks like.

Well, all this mobile suit stuff is probably confusing more than one of my three or four--maybe five--readers (of both the story and/or this thread), so after I update the site and add the next part to the story, I'll make a post devoted to explaining the mobile suits in their entirity. I'll post pictures of all the mobile suits introduced to date and give some specs over them (each and broadly). So what does this mean to you, the reader? Well, it means that I will be explaining more stuff, but hopefully destory some of the confusion you may have over mobile suits in the story (though I'll probably create more, instead)...after all, I am the Grand Imperator of BEAK®. :twisted:

Okay, the little "www" button will no longer take you to the page that has "Magical Lies" on it, but instead will take you to my Home Page. At the bottom of that home page is a link that will take you the page called "SOCL's Desk" where "Magical Lies" is located and being updated. So, if you want to read "Magical Lies" go here. And don't worry, to make it easier, I'll also put it in my signature. :D

10:17 PM CST, Thursday, July 17, 2003:

-Added more to Part 2 of "Magical Lies" where you're introduced to the Allied Nation's Bermuda garrison's secrets
    -Updated the Dramatis Personæ
    -I'm still looking for a Good Samaritan to host my stories
    -I'm still looking for a better title for "Magical Lies"
    -I'm still looking for opinions and feedback on the story

Highlight on, but be warned that the below are spoliers of the story, so I would suggest reading the story before highlighting.

In the story, during the assault by Londo Belle on the island in the Bermuda Islands, the Allied Nation's secret is revealed. That secret comes in the form of a mobile suit, but a mobile suit unlike any other. I won't give away anything else, but I only provided a brief description of it, which includes the fact that it is mostly white and has a gold "v" on its forehead. Well, it's actually white, blue, red, and yellow/gold, which are the official prototype mobile suit colors of the Allied Nations. Well, if you're wondering what it looks like, here are a few pictures. This is what it mostly looks like (body wise), except for the gun over its left shoulder and the gun it's holding. Here is a picture of it from behind, except for the gun over the shoulder, the gun it's holding, and shield it has. Along with that, it also has some characteristics of this one and this one. To explain a tad, the "v" on the forehead is an advanced sensors antennae. The one in the story looks mostly like the first two pictures, has the shoulders and standard shield of the third, and the double beam-swords of the fourth. It's a little hard to imagine, so I'll try to get a clear picture of what it exactly looks like.

I'll explain everything about all the mobile suits in better detail in a later post.

ABOUT MOBILE SUITS

Okay, as promised, I would make a post that explained mobile suits in a tad more depth than the story gives (since some of the background is included in the prequel to "Magical Lies"). Now, I'm quite sure that my four or five readers are probably think: the Grand Imperator of BEAK is about to strike again, and...well...you're right, I am. :twisted: Well, hey, hopefully this one will help you understand the hardware behind the story a tad more. Just a note ahead of time, most of the specs are quite broad and general as I don't like getting too specific for it ruins things for myself (no joke) and then I end up getting miserable with the story and no longer have an interest in it. So, to make sure I don't lose interest in my own story, I won't get specific about everything. And trust me...I can get more specific.

Let's get some of the broader specs out of the way. All mobile suits are 18.0 meters tall unless otherwise specified. They all carry a standard shield, as seen attached to this mobile suit, and is carried the same way on all of them, unless otherwise specified. They all a standard built-in weaponry of twin, head-mounted 60mm Vulcan automatic cannons on either side of the main optical viewscreen. They also have at least one beam-sword that is stored on the ventral part of the left forearm. They all also have a wrist mounted .50 caliber machine gun and/or 60mm Vulcan automatic cannon on their right wrist. All carry a standard M145 100mm carbine, which can be stored on their pack for easy carry. Their packs is also a rocket-pack that allow the mobile suit to "fly" and "jet" about as the pilot desires.

YMMS-01: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for mountain testing. This model had the cockpit in what was considered traditional: the head. It is a standard model and looks identical to the YMMS-02, YDMS-01, and YDMS-02. It was put into combat testing along side the YMMS-02 with JUGGERNAUT under the command of Field Marshal von Asch during the Northeatern Campaign.

YMMS-02: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for mountain testing. This model had the cockpit in the torso, which was considered safer for the pilot because of its unobvious location; this sort of cockpit would become standard in all mobile suits. It is a standard model and looks identical to the YMMS-01, YDMS-01, and YDMS-02. It was put into combat testing along side the YMMS-01 with JUGGERNAUT under the command of Field Marshal von Asch during the Northeastern Campaign. This model would prove to be the most successful and would be the basis of the mass production moutain MS model.

YDMS-01: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for desert testing. This model had the cockpit in what was considered traditional: the head. This unit was tested in Fort Irwin, California. It, like its sister model--the YDMS-02--incurred problems with the dust and sand in the intake filters and the optical sensors, which rendered the models null and void.

YDMS-02: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for desert testing. This model had the cockpit in the torso, which was considered safer for the pilot because of its unobvious location; this sort of cockpit would become standard in all mobile suits. This unit was tested in Fort Irwin, California. It, like its sister model--the YDMS-01--incurred problems with the dust and sand in the intake filters and the optical sensors, which rendered the models null and void.

AMS-01A: This mobile suit was developed for amphibious type operations with Naval and Marine forces. This model had the standard cockpit in the torso. These are the most expensive of all the mobile suits because of the water-proofing equipment it requires, the extra underwater rockets, the water-proofed M145 carbines, among many other things. In addition to the other built-in weapons, it also carried an optionally electrified net launcher in its right wrist developed for captured of vessels or submarines. It also has quad torpedo tubes on its chest, double torpedo tubes on each shoulder, and quad torpedo tubes on its back. The first of these units were deployed with task forces such as Londo Belle. They look like a cross between this and this.

YDMS-03: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for desert testing. This model had the cockpit in the torso. It was a vast improvement over the YDMS-01 and YDMS-02 with protected intake filters and an added visor that could be brought down over the optical sensors to protect them from the dust and sand of the desert. This unit conducted trials against the squat YDMS-04 and succeeded in being selected as the desert MS to be mass-produced.

YDMS-04: This mobile suit was a prototype developed for desert testing. This model had the cockpit in the torso. A particularly intersting mobile suit, proving to be a vast improvement--if not, vast change--over the YDMS-01 and YDMS-02 with protected intake filters and a whole new system of optical sensors reminiscent of the very original mobile suit plans. This MS did not carry the standard shield and M145 carbine. Instead the armor was doubled, causing it to have to ride lower and thus "squat", and the carbine was integrated into the right hand. This unit conducted trials against the more traditional YDMS-03, but failed to be the victor and would not be mass-produced.

Allied Nations' "white mobile suit": This mobile suit was developed as a prototype for a multi-purpose role instead of specializing in one particular field. This model had the cockpit in the torso. It was developed an armor that was forged from a mysterious metal. Not much is known about this mobile suit, except that it apparently spent much of its testing time in the Bermuda Islands on a secret Allied Nations garrison. It is known to carry a carbine much like that of the Imperial mobile suits, but that also includes a "grenade" launcher underneath the barrel that fires explosive 180mm rounds. It stands 18.2 meters to the tip of its "v"-shaped antennae and carried double beam-swords in its pack on its back. Its body looks like this and this. It's shoulders like the one on this one. And its pack of double beam-swords is like this one's.

Other mobile suits that are known to exist for the sake of the others:

YAMS-01: The prototype amphibious mobile suit which the mass production AMS-01A was based off of.

There are other mobile suits that will be introduced along the way (throughout the story), as well as more details on the Allied Nations' "white mobile suit".

I hope that wasn't too confusing and was actually helpful to some people.

By the way... I'm halway through Part I of "Magical Lies".
YIPEE!!! :D:mrgreen::D:mrgreen:

What do you think of it thus far?

By the way, as far as the long mobile suit explanation goes, if anyone has anyone questions or comments regarding it, feel free to post them.

Guest Scathane

I think it's rather good. You've got some great characters running around. I especially like:

* Colonel Weber
    * The Imperator
    * the Secretary of Defense

I think it's rather good. You've got some great characters running around. I especially like:

* Colonel Weber
    * The Imperator
    * the Secretary of Defense

My editor took an interest in those three as well, along with Colonel Lee and later characters. :D Well, it's good to see that I have succeeded in making some of the characters I wanted to have the greatest impressions have done so. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D:mrgreen:

4:00 PM CST, Monday, July 21, 2003:

No update on the story as of yet, but I do have an update regarding the wepage SOCL's Desk (last link in my signature). You see, I had an image of "Master Plan/Evil Gimpy", but decided to change it to another one. The new one is a GIF, so it may take a little longer to load the page. Originally I wanted to have it at the bottom of my signature, but there wasn't enough room (too many characters)....

Next up, I have recently--through my sister--been able to regain contact with my editor. Thus, she--my editor--will be able to review the story and help with some less than satisfactory scenes. :D

I'll have an update on the story itself soon.

Guest Scathane
:? I'm a tad confused....
Aren't you always? :lol: A while ago, you asked me to make you a new Gimpy gif; it had something to do with a trophy and the emperor...

Copyright (c) 1999-2022 by SWRebellion Community - All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. Star Wars(TM) is a registered trademark of LucasFilm, Ltd. We are not affiliated with LucasFilm or Walt Disney. This is a fan site and online gaming community (non-profit). Powered by Invision Community