Flatlanders

How do you people do it? How is it that you can stand to live without hills? I lived in Illinois for 3 years. I became depressed partially as a result of the landscape there. Why would you chose to stay there? Why is it that people are willing to look out their window and be able to see for miles on end? I look out the window in my dorm room and can see for 300 yards before a hill or lots of trees obscure my line of sight. I don't understand how it is that people can survive without that.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh its not that bad.... in some cases you can look about three hundred feet and see a wall of corn :) now that's depressing.... but yeah the lack of hills part really blows mainly cause i luv to snowboard so i have to make many trips up to Wisconsin... but on campus in champaign and in my hometown of Peoria.... they both are decent sized cities of 150k each so im in the city most times so it isnt that bad...... but if I lived in farmtown, IL I'd probably go insane too

- But it was so artfully done..,

I never had a problem with the wall of corn. It was the lack of said wall that about killed me. As paranoid as I am I still have issues with being able to see more than about 500 yards, unless I'm on top of a BIG hill. The "Big M" comes to mind.....

Let's get some other voices around here too. Even if you're not a true flatlander (someone from Illinois) you can still offer your thoughts.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

what´s that for a topic ? muahahahaha

I live here in flatland too. I´m not depressed anyway. I like it, but I´m always waiting for Giro d´Italia, Tour de France and Vuelta a Espagna to see HUGE mountains. looks preety nice there.

Sachsen-Anhalt : Wir stehen früher auf !

Guest Scathane
As for me, the country may be flat but it's quite small, isn't it... I can get to mountains in under an hour... :D

At first when I read the title I took it as the 'Known Space' meaning for Flatlander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatlander_%28Niven%29

It's fairly flat where I live but there's anough trees, forests, subdivisions, lakes, swamps... ridgelines... the river ridgeline...

Nevermind it's not that flat where I live.

http://www.canab.com/graphics/mainpages_graphics/music_awards/2004_profiles/LorneCardinal/thumbs/CornerGas01.jpg

From the TV Show 'Corner Gas'

Cop1: What are we doing?

Cop2: Watching for speeders.

Cop1: shouldn't we be closer to town then?

Cop2: If we were closer to town people would see us!

No, Def. I was using the term as most Wisconsinites use it. It refers to anyone from Illinois.

I may have to think about getting a copy of Season 1 of 'Corner Gas'. It sounds like something I might enjoy...

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I live in Switzerland so being somewhere without hills tends to get me depressed rather quick.

rofl

Do you know Martin Elmiger by the way ^^ ?

Martin what?!?

Where does he live?

I shall post a pic of the view from the top of a hill about 5 minutes away from where i live.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Well if you are going to do that then I need to get out to the M and get some pics there. I completely agree w/ you about getting depressed when away from hills.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Martin what?!?

Where does he live?

I dunno where he live and I´m not interested in it. That shows you´re not interested in cycling ^^ Elmiger is the national champion of Switzerland.

I thought the flatlanders were a band... :?

The Flatlanders ARE a band. A country band. If you notice though, the name of the thread is "Flatlanders". I was going to make it "FIBs", but decided that wasn't a broad enough term.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

If you guys want to see what you're missing with that "wall of corn", just say the word and I'll hunt around for a picture of my yard in Lewiston, Idaho (before I moved to South Dakota). Absolutely beautiful view right out my window, and what's even better is that as everybody on the edge of town had such a view.

Corn is no substitute for mountains. Nor are hills, ditches, ravines, bluffs, or city buildings. You can see mountains even if you are in the city (unless its a very major city with big high-risers, anyway). You actually have to twist and turn when driving up a mountain. Nobody much builds on them, so they usually sport great camp grounds, wonderous hiking areas, or just plain crisp air. The only thing that can help soothe the wound of having no mountains is trees/parks, but even these are no replacement...

I love mountains. The only thing better is forested mountains. :D

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Yeah nothin really beats the mountians, I love the Appalacians (yeah cant spell) when I road trip to New York.... granted theyre worn down compared to other mountain ranges but they still are kool and I havent been able to see the Rockies yet.........

- But it was so artfully done..,

The Rockies are awesome. Great for all sorts of activities, be it snowboarding, skiing, fishing, or just plain walking around. Just don't drive around too fast if you're prone to motion sickness. :lol:

I really want to visit the Andes as well, I suspect they would be fun and very beautiful. But I haven't gotten around to it yet.

*Wanders off to find a good picture, just because he misses the view*

EDIT: Here ya go. I'm a little disappointed in the image quality (it's a scan), but if you look close you can see the yellow/brown ("Goldish Brown" for you poets) wheat field behind my house. You can also just see the local part of the Rockies in the upper-left, directly above the trampoline and beyond the farm hill. Somewhere around here I have a better picture, but this will have to do until I find it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/masterxan/Scenery/backyard.jpg

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Need a new/different pic Xan. You can see too far into the distance in that one. More mountains, or hills, or...something...

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I shall post a pic of my mountains When the storm clouds that have been hanging about here for the last few days will have cleared up.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance