What is your favorite lightsaber duel?

Sinister

What is your favorite lightsaber duel?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite lightsaber duel?

• Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul (Episode I)
    • Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Count Dooku (Episode II)
    • Yoda vs. Count Dooku (Episode II)
    • Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Count Dooku (Episode III)
    • Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous (Episode III)
    • Mace Windu vs. Darth Sidious (Episode III)
    • Yoda vs. Darth Sidious (Episode III)
    • Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (Episode III)
    • Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (Episode IV)
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Episode V)
    • Luke vs. Darth Vader (Episode VI)
    • other

Personally,

Mine absolute favorite is Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader in ESB. This duel is classic. Vader is so calm and collected throughout most of the fight. He uses his force powers, and cuts off Luke's hand. And of course, there's the startling revelation at the end of their battle. IMO, it the best and most memorable.

Runner up...

Obi Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader in ROTS. It's fast paced, and very emotional, especially at its end.

Note: Under the choices, I put "other" in case someone wanted to choose a duel from a game, book, etc.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose the Maul vs. Obi and Qui gon as my runner up... I honestly though Ep. I was pretty good even if the acting sucked... hated Ep. II with a passion, so none of that... My actual choice, though, was Yoda vs. Sidious in Ep. III- pretty dang awesome watching Yoda flip all over like that :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I couldn't NOT pick a Yoda fight. I didn't feel that the Yoda vs. Dooku was epic enough to make it though. Had to go with the ultimate battle of the masters. Much as it pains me to have to agree w/ Tofu, I still went Yoda vs. Sidous. My runner up isn't a TRUE lightsaber duel though. I'm thinkin Luke, Jacen and Jaina vs. Shimrra and his body guards whose sole purpose was killing Jedi.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I'm yet to decide which is my favourtie. In Episode I, Obi Wan and Qui Gon vs. Maul was a great specticle. Awesome fight scene, with a lot of sword work and flare

The later two of the prequels saber duels were equally as impressive, though I've leaned torwards the original trilogies fighting.

Episode IVs lightsaber fight was lack luster, though had a lot more character - you can see neither are trying to make the first attack, rather just quick jabs trying to start the other off. And after watching Episode 3, it shows why both wouldn't be going all out against each other. But, it can't really be my favourite because so little happened in the actual duel, it was too much of a stand off.

Like Sinister, I really liked the Episode 5 saber fight. Luke's off balance most of the time and really trying, Vader on the other hand is taking it casually, fighting one handed for most of it and then combines some dirty fighting with the force.

Then there's Episode 6, the lightsaber fight there was good again. A more catious and calm Luke fights well, though again with little flare compared to the prequels. The best part is when he looses control and gives into the dark side for a little while and starts battering Vader - that has to be one of my favourite scenes in the series.

So, I'm tied between Episode 5, and 6 at the moment :? Episode 6 is on tonight, so that'll probably be a pivital decision maker for me :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I have to agree woth sinister: the fight in ESB was the best! :D

"Woth"??? Scath, what gives? 2 BEAK's in a 24 hr period.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

In the prequels I loved the Qui-Gon & Obi vs Maul fight. Maulk is just so cool and fits perfectly in to the Dark Sith warrior type.

My second favorite is the ever famous ESB fight.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

I have to go with the Qui-Gon & Obi vs Maul fight. Two Jedi (padawan and should-be-Master) vs. a Sith, how awesome! All AoTC duels sucked bantha dung. Although I liked Yoda showing up for Dooku, it just didn't pan out eloquently. RoTS had nice duels though. My runner ups are definitely ESB and RoTJ (Luke & Darth Vader). Although Luke wasn't a full "Jedi", those duels laid out the ground work for all others to follow.
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I had to go with Luke vs. Vader in RotJ. It's the most moving if you really consider the circumstances. A son fighting his father, cutting off his arm as was done to him, yet learning something of himself in doing so, seeing the path he nearly took, but turning away from the lure of power not only for his sake, but for his fathers. Everything comes full circle. That, and in the end Vader is redeemed when he sacrifices himself for his child... perhaps this is a reflection of Padme. You mgiht be able to say she sacrificed herself for her children also.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Much as it pains me to have to agree w/ Tofu, I still went Yoda vs. Sidous. My runner up isn't a TRUE lightsaber duel though. I'm thinkin Luke, Jacen and Jaina vs. Shimrra and his body guards whose sole purpose was killing Jedi.

I had to go with Yoda vs Sidious as well... though I feel the scene could have been done better, it was still awsome. My true favorite isn't a lightsaber duel (hence it becomes my runner up, even though I liked it more). The final Shimrra battle was cool, but I liked one of the other NJO scenes better. Forget which book, but its when Jacen kills all but one of the dhurams... dyhrams? I can't spell at all. The 12 precursers to the World Brain. Anybody who has read the book will surely remember Jacen using the amphistaff grove, taking the YV warriors' own weapons to fashion armor, and proceeding to decimate everything in the whole area, only to be stopped by his teacher's tears (the symbolism just kills me).

Edited by Master_Xan

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

That was a truely awesome scene as it played out in my head as well. Thanks for reminding me of that one Xan.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

my thanks too ^^

but my favourite is definitely the fight obi-wan against darth vader in episode 3, it´s just the most spectacular and most emotional fight which is - in my oppinion - very good underlined by the music

Sachsen-Anhalt : Wir stehen früher auf !

Qui Gon and Obiwan vs Darth Maul...

and runner up would be Empire Strikes Back.

Obiwan vs Anakin in ep.3 was a bit... over the top. Actually so were any of the ones with Yoda too.

i had to go with Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Maul (Episode I) that fight made the movie. its worth watching an hour and a half of jar jar binks to get to that duel. not only was the duel awsome but the music also makes it the best god bless john williams.

John Williams is the best there is.

I'll second that!

Actually you're thirding that... And I'll fourth it!

12/14/07

Didn't John Williams do the music for Jaws also? I love that movie. Hated all of it's sequels.

Juuun-jun, juuuuun-jun, jun-jun, jun-jun, jun-jun.....

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

As much as I love the duel with Maul, Obi, and Qui-gon, and the duel with Luke and Vader in ESB I love the duel in ROTJ with Luke and Vader the most. I don't know why, but when you look at the way Luke swings he has a very forceful, angry attack and well I just think it has a cool feel. Plus when he engages Vader after the "Then perhaps she will" line and the emporers music is on while they are fighting it is cool... I don't like the in between with Luke talking at Vader on the catwalk but it can't be helped.

ESB comes close those, I love how Vader turns his lightsaber on and it is slow, and drawn out. The whole duel is badass but it's missing something for me... Also it is the only duel that uses a force power other than lightning, speed, or jump.

god bless john williams.

John Williams is the best there is.

Try listening to Dvorak, and Stravinski... Gustave Holst as well... You'll find the similarities between them and Williams to be striking... The Death Star firing theme song(The end of ANH) is almost completely stolen from Holst's piece "Mars"... It's absurd. Granted that he only had two weeks to write the score, I still don't like him that much...

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

ESB comes close those, I love how Vader turns his lightsaber on and it is slow, and drawn out. The whole duel is badass but it's missing something for me... Also it is the only duel that uses a force power other than lightning, speed, or jump.

Wrong. AOTC Dooku uses push on Anakin. He also pulls the ceiling down trying to cruch Yoda, as well as throwing wall fixtures at him. ROTS Dooku uses choke and push on Obi-Wan. Sidious later throws entire balconies (for lack of being able to come up w/ the right word...) at Yoda. Yoda threw one back. There was a lot of pushing in all the ROTS Duels.

NOW, all of these battles used lightning and/or jump, but the way you worded your post that doesn't disqualify any of them. Also if you meant that it was the only duel that ONLY uses a Force power other than lightning, speed or jump you are wrong again. Luke uses jump to get out of the carbon freezing hole.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Oh for crying out loud- Lay off, Mitth! I personally like just laughing at the ESB duel for the "That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!" clown face on Luke... That and the fact that when he scores Darth Vader's armor at one point, Vader yells "Hoooooooooooooooly **********************"... it's protracted, hense the need for several stars. It's right around when Vader hacks through the duct taped pipe :)

12/14/07