Star Wars Rebellion - x64 Installer (Beta 4)

budious

E2K links... you should be cautious with spreading them arround here.

I am very happy with an installer like this, since I got my x64 working.. only to find out it sucks. But well, it's ok for my workstation.

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hadji - I just saw your post. I'm in irc room now and will stay there for the rest of the afternoon.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Would it sound incredibly stupid if I asked what x64 is? :?

OMG... J00 H4V3 N0 1D34!

Alright... lets take a journey through time.

Software

Windows 3.1 w/ Dos 6.2 - 16-Bit operating environment on 16-Bit operating system.

Windows 95/98/ME - 32-Bit operating environment on a 16-Bit operating system ~ Rebellion was designed for Windows 95

Windows NT3/NT3.5/NT4 - 32-Bit operating environment and 32-Bit operating system

Windows 2000/XP/2003 (NT5 variants) - 32-Bit operating environment and 32-Bit operating system

Windows XP-x64/2003-x64 (NT5.2-x64 source code) - 64-bit operating environment and 64-bit operating system

Hardware

Intel 386/486/Pentium (60MHz-100MHz) refered to as x86 architectures - The last of the purely 16-bit processors that operated with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.x systems.

Intel Pentium Pro (90MHz-200MHz) - The first 16-bit and 32-bit hybrid processor from intel. Capable of running Windows 95/NT.

Intel Pentium MMX/Pentium II/III/IV AMD K6/K7 - Modern processors that are designed with 32-bit performance in mind, but retain 16-bit functionality.

Intel Pentium IV-EM64T/AMD64 (commonly refered to as x64) - Processors capable of simultaneously processing 32-bit and 64-bit instructions. 16-bit functionality is obsolete. Modern operating systems XP-x64 and 2003-x64 or Linux 64-bit Distros are the primary operating system market for these chips.

Edited by budious

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

If I'm not making stuff up, x64 is a 64 bit program (such as the unreleased Windows Longhorn OS). There aren't too many right now, as there aren't too many OSs that can handle them (no current Windows that I know of, not sure on Mac or Linux). Win XP is 64, but still runs 32 bit programs. There are a few 64 bit processors though, at least one AMD that I know off.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Budious: I will be (active) in the irc channel at around 2:30 Central time (When I'm finished with school for the day), I'll send you a private message if you're still in the channel.

• 8 months later...

Hey budious,

I posted a while back about hosting the x64 installer on my ftp site, but it wiped out when the site went down I think. Anyways please PM me if you can get the installer to me so I can throw it up on the site. I don't have IRC so we'll have to try something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post updated on November 9, 2006

The installer is verified to operate under Windows Vista x64 RC2 (5744) However, at this moment the game will not run because of DirectX incompatibilities. Installing DirectX 9.0c Redistributables does not appear to fix the problem in Vista x64.

If you have Vista x86(32bit) I would be interested in knowing if you were able to install the game with either the default installer of my x64 installer and if so did the game function afterwards.

Get Directx 9.0c

To request a copy of the installer, please leave a reply to this thread with a valid email address capable of high volume storage (70mb) such as a gmail account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by budious

ok folks, the x64 installer is up on my ftp site for your downloading pleasure. thanks to budious for all the work, I just ran the game fine on my copy of 64 bit windows.

the ftp address is: kastor.dnsdojo.com

u: reb

p: darth

please be patient its not a high-bandwidth server, but it should work. any problems just PM me.

Will this patch work with regular old windows xp? I got nostalgic and tried installing my Rebellion and I get a 16-but Subsystem error about C:\windows... autoexec.nt and not compatable...

if it does, (and I'm terrible with ftp sites, it simply says "beginning FTP transaction" and doesn't seem to do anything) send to devonhickey@eastlink.ca

Gemini, your provide email does not have the required qouta for me to send all seven segments of the file. Download the ones you got and delete the emails and I will send the rest through, or sign-up for a free gmail account with 2.7gb of storage 8O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebellion in Vista - 11/13/06

I have tried every possible work around I can think of for Vista x64 and have not found a working solution. I believe the problem is related to how Windows Desktop Management (Aero) removes Directdraw direct access to video hardware. Disabling WDM did not appear to fix the problem. In addition, the SysWOW64 lacks several critical DirectX Directdraw dll's which have been removed from Vista implementation as compared to XP x64 SysWOW64 system folder. (SysWOW64 is the folder in which the 32-bit software emulation layer resides on 64-bit Windows systems).

In short, if you are a Rebellion fan, do not plan on upgrading to Vista anytime soon or partition a segment of your hard drive for an XP installation. The scope of this problem is beyond my ability to solve. Perhaps more knowledgeable members of the legacy gaming society will find a way, but I am doubtful because of Microsoft's lack of implementation for some of the critical directdraw dlls for Vista.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• SWR Staff - Executive
I believe all the test releases of Vista did not have a full, backward-compatible DirectX 10 yet. The dropped support of DirectDraw is not surprising, since its already been integrated into Direct3D. I expect there will probably be some emulation mode that allows pre-DirectX 9 to function.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

As of DirectX version 8.0, DirectDraw was merged into a new package called DirectX Graphics, which is really just Direct3D with a few DirectDraw API additions. DirectDraw can still be used by programmers, but they must use older DirectX interfaces (DirectX 7 and below).

I was reading through a bunch of this stuff and forget the other links but the jist of the conversation is, well for instance above. DirectDraw is in DX7 interfaces. I believe at the moment Vista RTM is only compatible of native support back to DX8. Though all DirectX versions should be inherently backwards compatible, Vista has broken the mold because of the fundamental changes in how it handles access to the video hardware.

The other bit of information I picked up somewhere was that in April 2005 release of DX9.0c that all the DirectDraw support was dropped completely and moved into the Windows Platform SDK. As of the 2006 release DirectDraw was removed from the SDK as well.

• 2 months later...
Check the first post, first page. I added simplified directions for a manual installation using a supplied *.reg file. I think there were some similar directions here before the forum crash and all the posts got lost but I think that file was wrong, this one came direct from x64 so I know it works. Should work to install Rebellion under Vista x64 as well, however as far as know the graphics "retained mode" of direct draw is no longer supported in any Vista version and the game graphics will not work as the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry folks, but the FTP site for the x64 installer that I listed earlier in this post is down for good. My ex-roommate had the server at his new place, but he decided to move again. Just thought I'd let you all know so you don't keep trying to connect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sent!

Remind everyone this only works on XP x64. Microsoft decided to cut the graphic rendering mode support required for Rebellion with the release of Vista. I so far have no work around to get Rebellion running under Vista x64.

Users of Windows Vista 32-bit take a look at the thread - http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3795.html.

Related projects...

PC-BSD: I hope to put together a .pbi installer file of Rebellion for PC-BSD. PC-BSD is a FreeBSD operating system with KDE preinstalled and package management system which utilizes packaged installer files in the .pbi format. These files when double-clicked from the desktop launch a self-installer providing a graphical interface for each step of the installation - A great translational feature for Windows users looking to learn BSD. In addition, this system is very flexible allowing multiple versions of programs to coexist installed on the same system since each has it's own directory in /Programs. Windows programs can be installed using a localized WINE configuration specific to the application installed through the .pbi format. This means as an end user you can run Windows applications on BSD without needing to know how to configure WINE. Visit http://www.pbidir.com for a complete listing of available .pbi files including popular applications such as Photoshop 7.0, Dreamweaver MX, and Grand Theft Auto 2 all running under localized WINE. And of course, all your favorite GPL/GNU software - Open Office, FireFox, and more! Also available are .pbi packages for bsd (linux compatible) native games such as America's Army 2.5, Enemy Territory 2.60b among others. And if all that is not enough don't forget the 16000+ ports and packages available through the traditional FreeBSD sources.

ReactOS - in it's infancy (denotes alpha quality) but aspires to be a clone of the windows operating system with complete subsystem compatibility. The DirectX (ReactX) implementation is nearing completion up to DirectX 8.0 compatibility. In the current release 0.3.1 my Rebellion port is not so far operational but it should be noted that the 0.3.1 release was a code cleanup and rewrite release and other members are telling the game work in previous releases. Of course these problems will be fixed by the next release and bring the O/S back to the same compatibility as previous versions plus new features. A specific port may not be needed though, at some point the native 16-bit installer may become completely compatible with ReactOS as well. For more info, skip over to http://www.reactos.org

Update: Added some pages to the SW Rebellion Wiki - Please discuss your problems or changes to posted solutions to the original forum thread. Refinement of the wiki documentation will be updated as deemed necessary.

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Windows_XP_x64

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Windows_Vista

http://www.swrebellion.com/rebedwiki/index.php/Wine_on_Linux_or_BSD

• 1 month later...
I can't find a backup of it. I don't have x64 installed at the moment or I would regenerate it for you. I can email the beta installer if you have a gmail or another high capacity storage email account.