Alien Life

Darth_Rob

• SWR Staff - Executive

You consider how long it takes for light to travel to us from all the stars, there must be new star systems created every day that we would not see light from for millions of years. I doubt we would every be able to locate all of them. But given there so many, I think life has a chance on a world besides our own. :)

Intelligent life? Well maybe it depends on what we define as intelligence. Or we can play conspiracy and say a higher intelligent life is already hiding among us. ;)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take one look at any history book, and you will realise why if there is any intelligent life out there, it will try it's hardest to keep us in this solar system.
I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Guest Scathane
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is a warning sign at the edge of our solar system "No intelligent life herein. Proceed at your own risk (Don't say we didn't warn you!)" :lol:
Scientists have lately discovered that the sign got turned around by a solar wind... They now believe it's a warning sign for life forms from outside our solar system... :lol:

Intelligent life? Well maybe it depends on what we define as intelligence. Or we can play conspiracy and say a higher intelligent life is already hiding among us. ;)
Bingo! That's exactly what I meant. With regard to not recognizing alien life, I didn't mean they might be under disguise...

What I meant was that you have to realize that the definitions of life and intelligent are only relevant in a human/earthly context. For instance, we might not perceive it because of being quite unable to do so in a perceptionary sense. It may even lack physical form or a compatible form of communication. And last, the worst possible option conceivable: what 'it' defines as life is exactly the same thing that we define as 'death' (in a scientific sense)... :roll:

On a more humorous note... There's a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon that states it quite nicely. Looking up at the night sky, Calvin sums up all of the world's man-made problems from poverty and famine to wars and pollution and then says: Perhaps the best sign that there is intelligent life out there is that it hasn't tried to contact us... :lol:

I hear talk about intelligent life outside of our solar system quite often, or so it seems. It is my opinion that we need to stop looking outward for intelligence and concentrate on making those people who are already here intelligent. If there is intelligent life out there, they won't waste their time coming to a rock populated by idiots.

I have a VERY low opinion of the human race in general, just in case you haven't noticed yet...

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Really, Mitth, we had no idea :lol::wink: So now we are kind of forced to wonder if that stone that we skipped across the lake is really a sentient being attempting to achieve enlightenment by not being distracted with the outside world, thus deaf, dumb, blind, and completely feelingless... The poor bugger cans still taste, though... :(:lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

no offence but this thread is a joke. We already have proff that they exist. darth TOFO! anyway yes I belive there is other life

Must... Refrain... From... B.E.A.K.ing... In Scath's place... Must... Refrain!

But really, how am I proff of alien life? Its not like I use Linux or anything!

12/14/07

I have a VERY low opinion of the human race in general, just in case you haven't noticed yet...
How so?

What do you mean Scath? You're going to have to elaborate if you want an intelligent answer from me. Do you want to know why I have a low opinion or are you asking if I'M the real alien on the forum and I just haven't been impressed by what I've seen during my time on Earth?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

... So confused...

It was your first post here ever.

Hey, uh, I like just signed on to this website, so I don't know very much about it (I'm a newb! Gah!) Anyways, i play Rebellion on a computer that I have upstairs with no internet access or cable link ...

That would be my first ever post... Hell, when I first signed up I didn't even know what linux was!!!!

12/14/07

Terra is another name for Earth, thus the people living on Terra would be Terrans :)

Latin.

Terrans > Earthlings, any day.

When I look at the sky, at all those stars, when I look at pictures like the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, where every single point of light is a galaxy containing hundreds of millions, if not billions, of stars... There's no bloody way we're alone.

Guest Scathane
What do you mean Scath?
Well... Let's do this step by step, so you don't lose me....

1. You wrote: I have a VERY low opinion of the human race in general, just in case you haven't noticed yet...
  2. I then asked: How so?

We can split my question up into two elements. The first is so, which would refer to the question you asked. Since your sentence can be split into two parts as well, however, we'd have to know which part it is referring to. Let's see if we can find out...

You said you had a low opinion of sth. and you explained for what reason you were telling us this. Since the latter is an addition to the first; i.e., you could have posted just the first part, whereas it would have been regarded as anomalous (and not to say strange) if you had only posted: Just in case you haven't noticed yet... So, we can safely assume that telling us that you have a VERY low opinion is the subject of your sentence.

Since so is the subject of my sentence, we can now see that it refers to the subject of your sentence. And, furthermore, because there is a question mark at the end of my sentence, we can assume that I am unclear about the subject of your sentence. What would it be?

Hmmm..., let's see. You explained that you had a low opinion about sth. This means you explained what you had and what you had it about, so I can't be unclear about those. Then perhaps it's something you didn't explain but what could it be? Let's see if my sentence can provide us with the answer.

We haven't addressed the first part of my sentence yet: how... Remember I was unclear about the subject of your sentence. Since I added how as a qualification of the subject of my sentence, it is also a qualification of the subject of your sentence. Let's try this:

how? + I have a VERY low opinion = how do you have a low opinion?

Wow! 8O That went rather okay, I think. Just remember that the question mark at the end of my qualification transfers to the end of your subject (!!!). Let's see if we can now come to a complete conclusion of what it was I asked, if we add what you said it about:

How did you come to have a VERY low opinion about the human race in general?

Again, remember that the question mark transfers to the end of the sentence. Well there you have it... I'm sorry but as the founder of the Beak Imperium, I really couldn't let this one just pass... :twisted:

You're going to have to elaborate if you want an intelligent answer from me.
I'm afraid it's going to take a lot more than that... :twisted::wink:

Do you want to know why I have a low opinion or are you asking if I'M the real alien on the forum and I just haven't been impressed by what I've seen during my time on Earth?
I think I just answered that, now go on and amaze me with your intelligent answer! :lol:

Guest Scathane
The problem when i see all those pics is that it makes me want to be up there and explore it all.
Indeed!

What do you mean Scath?
Well... Let's do this step by step, so you don't lose me....

1. You wrote: I have a VERY low opinion of the human race in general, just in case you haven't noticed yet...
  2. I then asked: How so?

We can split my question up into two elements. The first is so, which would refer to the question you asked. Since your sentence can be split into two parts as well, however, we'd have to know which part it is referring to. Let's see if we can find out...

You said you had a low opinion of sth. and you explained for what reason you were telling us this. Since the latter is an addition to the first; i.e., you could have posted just the first part, whereas it would have been regarded as anomalous (and not to say strange) if you had only posted: Just in case you haven't noticed yet... So, we can safely assume that telling us that you have a VERY low opinion is the subject of your sentence.

Since so is the subject of my sentence, we can now see that it refers to the subject of your sentence. And, furthermore, because there is a question mark at the end of my sentence, we can assume that I am unclear about the subject of your sentence. What would it be?

Hmmm..., let's see. You explained that you had a low opinion about sth. This means you explained what you had and what you had it about, so I can't be unclear about those. Then perhaps it's something you didn't explain but what could it be? Let's see if my sentence can provide us with the answer.

We haven't addressed the first part of my sentence yet: how... Remember I was unclear about the subject of your sentence. Since I added how as a qualification of the subject of my sentence, it is also a qualification of the subject of your sentence. Let's try this:

how? + I have a VERY low opinion = how do you have a low opinion?

Wow! 8O That went rather okay, I think. Just remember that the question mark at the end of my qualification transfers to the end of your subject (!!!). Let's see if we can now come to a complete conclusion of what it was I asked, if we add what you said it about:

How did you come to have a VERY low opinion about the human race in general?

Again, remember that the question mark transfers to the end of the sentence. Well there you have it... I'm sorry but as the founder of the Beak Imperium, I really couldn't let this one just pass... :twisted:

You're going to have to elaborate if you want an intelligent answer from me.
I'm afraid it's going to take a lot more than that... :twisted::wink:

Do you want to know why I have a low opinion or are you asking if I'M the real alien on the forum and I just haven't been impressed by what I've seen during my time on Earth?
I think I just answered that, now go on and amaze me with your intelligent answer! :lol:

... Scath, I didn't even bother reading all of that. I can shove my head in a meat grinder and get the exact same effect minus the excruciating pain that the post gives me.

12/14/07

I'm sorry but as the founder of the Beak Imperium, I really couldn't let this one just pass... :twisted:

Don't say you're sorry Scath. You have no reason to be sorry. I dropped my BEAK Guard. If anyone is to apologize to anyone else, it should be me apologizing to myself for allowing you (or anyone really) to BEAK me.

The more time I spend around people, the more certain I become that, as a whole, the human race is stupid. Granted there are exceptions, but for the most part they are few and far between. The time I spent living in the Flatlands of Illinois convinced me that there is no hope left for this misserable planet. That's why Q-Branch was built in the moon.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Guest Scathane
The more time I spend around people, the more certain I become that, as a whole, the human race is stupid. Granted there are exceptions, but for the most part they are few and far between. The time I spent living in the Flatlands of Illinois convinced me that there is no hope left for this misserable planet. That's why Q-Branch was built in the moon.
I can understand that, but what specific kind of actions or words are responsible for drawing your conclusion? In what sense is the human race stupid?

I believe the human race is actually quite intelligent. We're quite handy with tools, we haven't wiped ourselves out with war yet, and it honestly doesn't look like we're going to. Technologically speaking, we've created machines that enable us to work fewer hours and enjoy more recreational activities. The fact that I'm sitting here typing on a computer, making a post that can be read and ignored by thousands of people who can comprehend this abstact concept is evidence that we're intelligent.

I'll admit we have our problems: overpopulation, disease, religion, war, but I don't think thats enough to label us as stupid. Rather, I believe "immature" is the word to use. Perhaps ignorant. We're definately intelligent, we just haven't learned to play nice.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

My two bits: The human race as a whole can not be judged. Each person is unique and, as my father enjoys constantly saying, "There is a very distinct line between being stupid and being uneducated"

12/14/07

"There is a very distinct line between being stupid and being uneducated"

Very good saying.

You aso have think about what you consider as intelligent.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

http://www.Darwinawards.com as well as Bill Engval's Here's Your Sign bits are the only ones I'm coming up w/ at the moment. Part of that is probably because my brain is pretty well fried from the calc test I took tonight. I'll edit this if/when I think of more examples.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"