• Obi Wan Kenobi
    • Anakin Skywalker
    • Qui-Gon Jinn
    • Yoda
    • Mace Windu
    • Plo Koon
    • Adi Galia
    • Luke Skywalker

I think Sidious financed him to make the clones plus extra for himself. Dooku's wasnt the best guy, but why would he randomly start a war? It doesnt add up, Sidious must have said take the money start a war, when its over, youll come out unscathed, and youll get to keep a little for yourself.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be too banal for Dark Sith Lords to be interested in the money, their only pursue is power. The Armies, Republic and Separatists are the only a way for Sidious and Tyranus to obtain the necessary power in the galaxy.

Dooku serves Palpy, much as Vader later does, so if Palpy tells him to start a war, he'll do so.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Yes, b ut to pursue power, one must have funding somehow. They would have had to use the banking clans to help fund both armies. What a bill! Sidious was behind both the clone army AND the droid army! Talk about expensive. 8O

"Be at peace, for the force is my ally and I shall not let anything happen out of my contol."

-Barkoa

Well, they only have to fund the clone army since the droids are funded by the Trade Federation. Plus, the droids were the means to an end. Without their threat the clone army would never have been accepted by the senate or the Jedi Council.

I think I already mentioned htis, but I doubt that you would have to pay up-front for the clone army. You'd want to be sure it was suitable for your needs. More likely Sidious hade it ordered, through Sypho-whatever, and then created the threat of the droids to force the Republic to pick up the tab.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

True paying for both armies would be expencive but considering the fact that its nat actually his money that he is spending I dont think he will care all that much. only after he starts making armys as the leader of the imperials does he actully start using his own money. I think that darth sidious just started the war to firstly kill jedi in battles and secondly to provide cover for his sith armies and power to grow.

The war was an excuse for Palpatine to take absolute power, or "emergency power" as he put it. It's very similar to what Hitler did. Take emergency power, says he'll give it back when the crisis is over, but just keeps it and declares himself Emperor.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

But the weird part of this war is that he was behind both sides. This seems stupid. The only logic i can put to that is that that way, he would definitely win. Hitler didn't start a war with himself! :)

"Be at peace, for the force is my ally and I shall not let anything happen out of my contol."

-Barkoa

Guest Scathane
Unless he had said amount of money previously saved, or he was financed by outsiders (trade federation, techno union, etc..)

Or he laundered money from the Republic through his oen cunning or Palpatine.

O yeah! Sure! Another explanation could be that Syfo-Dias posed as George Lucas in our world and thus generated the much needed funds for the clone army by setting up a movie company!

But the weird part of this war is that he was behind both sides. This seems stupid. The only logic i can put to that is that that way, he would definitely win. Hitler didn't start a war with himself! :)
True, Hitler didn't start a war on himself (although one could argument that is just a matter of how you look at it) but I don't see why Palpatine involvement in both sides is either weird or stupid. Why do you think that Episode I is called The Phantom Menace? It's pretty simple isn't it? Palpatine wants to usurp power. He needs an army, a big army. Of course, neither the Senate nor the Jedi Council is going give him the green light on this. So, he instigates a threat that ensures him of getting that army... Or is it just me?

O yeah! Sure! Another explanation could be that Syfo-Dias posed as George Lucas in our world and thus generated the much needed funds for the clone army by setting up a movie company!

Are you mocking me? Or are you making some kind of backhand slap at GL, one would be funny, one would irk me.

Palpatine wants to usurp power. He needs an army, a big army. Of course, neither the Senate nor the Jedi Council is going give him the green light on this. So, he instigates a threat that ensures him of getting that army... Or is it just me?

Exactly right. Kind of like Hitler, but Hitler didnt have to start a war to become powerful, he just needed WW1 to end and leave Germany crippled. Oh well, they are both quite cunning and clever. No qustion evil, but clever.

Guest Scathane
Then let's just say, for you only, it's both funny and irksome. For the rest it's all funny... :twisted: (Gee, Trej, are you following this? We're getting back to our old selves again).

Where'd the topic go? I seem to have misplaced it somewhere!

I'm disappointed to see noone voting for Adi Galia! :cry:

-Barkoa

I think that most SW fans, with the exception of Dinochick and a few others, are male, and while hormones have a lot to do with it, most men don't like femal heroes (heroins). I am almost ashamed to admit that I find it difficult to connect with the female charcters in the SW novels, and when an author makes it blatantly obviouse that they are trying to put the females in lead roles, I find myself getting annoyed. Maybe it's the imbalance of it all. I've always found Luke and Mara's relationship to be the most tolerable, because there is no impalance of power.

I tend to agree with those feelings. I'm not sexist but heroins aren't quite the same. That covers not just SW, but other areas as well. It might be because as you say, it's hard to connect with them. I do like Adi Galia, but, like Plo Koon and others, they make such a minimal appearance that you're not sure how much you like them.

-Barkoa

Guest Scathane

This must be one of the best refocuses on topic I've ever seen.

Tending to identify more with heroes of the same sex isn't sexist at all. Rather than that, it's probably natural to identify with someone who's closer to your own makeup albeit that this aspect is primarily biological.

Moreover, don't forget that the very basis of Star Wars was the concept of a male brain. So, obviously, women are second plan to the men in the story and its universe. Of course, one could argue that there are a lot of important women in the SW universe, such as Leia, Padmé, Mon Mothma or even EU characters such as Daala and Mara-Jade - women without whom the course of history in the SW universe wouldn't have been the same or even, for that matter, would have turned out completely different. Firstly, however these women are the lesser in numbers to their male counterparts. Secondly, these female characters tend to have a more of a somewhat passive role in the story or, if you want, a more passive role.

For instance, Leia’s primary feats are being Vader’s daughter/Luke’s sister, being an important character in the resistance and being the love of Solo’s life as well as mother of their twins. Opposed to this, Luke’s jediness is vital to the story, whereas, throughout Episodes IV – VI, Leia’s force-sensitivity isn’t important at all. Correspondingly, Padmé’s primary role is being the love of Anakin’s life and her giving birth to twins. Mon Mothma is completely inactive in the movies and characters like Daala an Mara-Jade are absent in them. And, last but not least, there isn’t one single female Jedi who can claim any role of consequence in Episodes I & II.

Your views are welcome.

Edited by Scathane

That's absolutely true, but there were more influential captains in the NJO series (holding positions as Captains in both Imperial and Republic fleets) than in any of the other books.

Another interesting thing I've noticed, and that you've hinted at above, is that the major females never have the same "importance" as their male counter-parts. Leia is very close to being equal to Han, but without Han's piloting skills, there wouldn't be any one left in the universe (ok, a bit exadurated, but you know what I mean). Padme doesn't really do anything, where as Anakin, well, destroys the Republic. Daala fails at her attempt at vengeance agains the New Republic, where as Taarking destroys a planet and will forever remain infamouse. Heck, even Mara isn't as important as Luke, and she wen through an illness and a pregnancy. C-3P0 takes a back seat to R2... oh, I guess 3P0 is male, isn't he. The only female that is more important than her male counter part is Jaina. Fell just doesn't match up to her.

To bring this full circle, the female jedi that Lucas creates just wouldn't be a interesting as the male jedi to the male viewers. There may be female fans who are interested, but, as they make up the minority, unfortunately they will never really get to see more of them in the movies. They'll have to read the books.

Those of you who have dealt with me before have probably figured it out already but...

Go Mara Jade!

:lol: While I do understand some of the comments about connecting more with the male heroes for us males, there's something very important that many of the Star Wars characters lack, complexity and depth...Thank you Timothy Zahn for giving us something other then a two dimensional sheet with all of the characters in your books. It's kind of obvious that Jade is one of, if not the most, complex characters ever created for Star Wars. Maybe thats why most depictions of her not from Zahn fall flat on their face.

Keys to Mara's coolness:

A cold and calculating mind and some extreme emotional attatchments (Her ship, Luke, Ben, etc...)

Very definite and real combat skills... (Doesn't Padme seem a little out of place with a blaster?)

Self reliance rather then a constant reliance on Jedi skills.

Oh and all those witty retorts. :roll:

Edit: Thank you GAT for those comments but the problem with importance of female characters seems to come from whose actually writing the works. In Zahn's books it seems that Luke is given almost second burner to Mara or at least they're exactly equal. It's not really that Mara is less important in the NJO, but that most of the writers seemed to have trouble putting together how Luke and Mara worked in their marriage. (Thats probably partly because Survivor's Quest hadn't been released until part way through the NJO.) If the authors had put Mara in the same light as Zahn did in that book a lot of the books would be a lot different.

Personally I hated most of the depictions of Mara in the NJO with a couple of exceptions, mainly Destiny's Way (Becuase Mara's counter espionage training finally came out in the open and that Mara is not always by Luke's side.)

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

NIIIC understand people don't live only for SWR. It's not because we can get on it often that everybody can. And from what I understand SM is a student. students study and may not have time to write long stories on forums.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

*SNAPS HIS FINGERS AND A SQUAD OF STORMTROOPERS ARRIVES*

Now now, don't make me make them use their blasters.

Whoa, don't even think about it Mit'thraw'nuruodo. This is no place to make idle threats to anyone, even NIIIC.

The whir of a cloaking shield disengageing fills the room as a pair of Raporan Droideka'kar decloaked. Seconds later a trio of Raporan Warrior slid silently through the door behind Stellar and raised their Plasma rifles.

I suggest you call them off and lay down your arms, all of you.

Now back to the topic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Hmmm, definitely not good. But hey, with a fleet above me, I'll blast those lizards into space dust.

SNAPS HIS FINGERS AGAIN, THE HOLO-PROJECTOR THAT WAS TRANSMITTING HIS IMAGE DISENGAGES.

I can't win them all :D . I guess since htis isn't an RP, we really should get back on topic... so... yeah... GO LUKE!

For an RP featuring the Rapora go to Rapora War (Introductory RPG) or the OOC discussion for the forum. (Its a sad time for the Empire of the Hand thus far, Parck is dead, the Hand of Thrawn complex has been destroyed...you get the picture?)

Actually I think that a lot of the Books kind of, mess around with Luke. I mean they make him less like, well, Luke. And the comics with the Emperor's return, would Luke really be that stupid?

(Did I mention my personal Vanguard Fleet of six cloaked Karlur class Raporan Cruisers cloaked amongst your ships?)

Signature:

Yea, Luke was always weakened in some way in the books, so I get the impression that we've never really seen his full potential. I think that he would at least be on par with Vader power wise, and a far better swordsman. I'd like, just once, to see look portrayed fairly.

(An impressive fleet, but no match for 40 ISD IIs, 20 VSD IIs, 10 Lancer Frigates, 2 Interdictor Cruisers, and the SSD Chimaera's Revenge. That is, of course, based on my current Rebellion game :twisted: )