Balance and ideas

EvilleJedi

Eh, I'm not really favorable towards that "ship" addition (not sure whether you can call it a ship or a platform with hyperdrive). It's just kind of a box with four legs that can apparently shoot lasers from....somewhere. Oh yeah, and it can harvest. I'm sorry to bring a negative light to this creation, but it's just kinda big, clunky, and hard to look at. I haven't really read many of the star wars books, so I only knew about this thing after reading the previous threads. I know it's probably going to stay in there as a buildable ship, so if I have a problem with it, I'll just not build it. But still......I mean come on, it's a floating shoebox that launches torpedoes and fires lasers out of god knows where...is that really that necissary?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SWR Staff - Executive
It is specifically designed to churn out Tie Drones. Wonder if Eville's found a way to get this into the game. It would be interesting to see... much like the Kadeshi swarmers.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• SWR Staff - Executive

In terms of its usage in being a war machine.... obviously they didn't tell the Imperial scientists that when it was created. :)

It was used against the Mon Calamari and they had to counter with the V-Wings.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Hmmm I remember the good old days when I did counter it in a V-Wing with it's rapid fire lasers on Rogue squadron 3D was probably a highlight of the game.
No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

World Devastators....what book is that in. Ill go out and find it this weekend. I noticed there were marked as red in the ship list meaning they were just put in not really textured or anything so that explains the shoebox lookalike. When are the Hapan ships coming in?

world devs are in dark empire, realy should order that book, always wondered what luke skywalker would be like if he went to the dark side (if i just spoilt the main plot for ya oh well, but its much more complicated than that)

Jacen Solo: "What happened to the war?"

Pellaeon: "It went away."

• SWR Staff - Executive
heh world devies are basically large shoe boxes , so it won't get much more than a texture and weapon placement touch up. they are mobile factories that build themselves out of scrap and raw materials and are theoretically capable of being as powerful as an allegiance destroyer with the ability to build frigates and other support ships on onboard factories.

Except i would say the allegiance has a extremely vunerable back side unlike the world devestator which is just teaming with turreted laser platfroms and concussions missle batteries :D
No Archibald you cannot fly me home! Especially because that which you are sitting in is a tin foil covered, card board box.

oh yeah, by the way, just wondering if those medium transport ships are gonna be put in. You know, the ones that transported the people off of hoth. oval shaped with two grey hulls on either side? Just wondering if that's going in anywhere

While it would be nice to see them in there, I don't believe they were actually armed, and they serve no other purpose than to transport things around. They'd be about a useful as an 18 Wheeler in C&C Generals.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

they were definitely armed, they used them in the battle of endor. Probably heavily modified though, but if anything it could be a breaching ship? possibly? Granted they are pretty big, but yeah, resupply, healing, any of those would work for it too

• 2 weeks later...
If there is nothing to discuss it will be quiet until something happens or there is a develepment with the mod etc. So until then this may be a quiet forum however there will be post just need to get into the right discussions as now this post is off-topic :P Have a look around in the general discussion people most definately post there.

Gallofre Yards Medium Transport

Armament two dual laser cannons. Not much.

I've been trying to download this but my connection is horrific, so before I play here are my opening thoughts...

What I'd like to see would be the addition of subsystems to the ships in game, that would really make it much more interesting. Perhaps making some vessels capable of having upgrades (Strike class, Corellian Vessels).

Excellent job EvilleJedi, just making a mod such as this is quite an accomplishment.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Okay, after playing the mod for awhile I've been rattling around a couple ideas in my head, so here it goes...

What gets me is just how undergunned the VSD II is in the mod, surely they would have greater armament, those 80 CMs really make the VSD a devestating opponent.

Also, to my eye, the ISD seems to move much slower then it does in the films, maybe its just me, but shouldn't the ISD be able to keep pace with ATRs and such.

Speaking of ATRs, why can you build more corvette squadrons then fighters? Shouldn't it be the other way around.

Are there any plans to change the way research is done in the game. I'm asking because it seems it would make more sense for research to be along specific ship design lines.

For Example:

Kuat Drive Yards :arrow: Victory Star Destroyer :arrow: Imperial Star Destroyer :arrow: Victory II... and so on.

Are there any plans to split shields into their component areas, Dorsal, Ventral, Bow, Stern, Port, and Stardboard. If you did it would make for a different style of tactical gameplay, especially if you have smaller forces.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

All of your ideas sound good in theory however to implement them in the game (i am guessing) would be ectremely time consuming for Eville and isn't what i see as a priority just yet. Maybe when this mod is 'released' he will then address certain things that could improve the gameplay, however i think although the idea of seperately shielded components sounds good it may hinder gameplay in the process, although i'm not sure i'm just speculating and trying to read Eville's mind.

storm...

• SWR Staff - Executive

In the case of the VSD II, just because its a newer ship does not mean it is always 'better'. VSD II's were built because VSD I's were too expensive and were also built when the Republic needed a patrol ship instead of a planetary bombardment platform. think of the VSD II as a victim of cost cutting, it doesn't matter because ISD I's came with in a year or two anyway pretty much making it useless.

I personally would like to make the ISD I faster, but then all of the rebel destroyers would be faster(all ships liberty and beyond were as fast as an ISD I). Since we can't do newtonian physics the ships have to have a maxmum top speed and right now the ISD I is the second fastest destroyer behind the republic destroyer.

more corvettes than fighters is a bug

the reason research isn't done along those lines is that then you will be able to quickly access very powerful warships, since most of the warships at lower tech levels are old and out dated you would never use them, also organizing along manufacturing lines is difficult, if anything this research would be added to the existing research

segmented shields are impossible, or at least are so buggy that they are not worth doing. (also since you have very little control over attack vectors it is useless)

And Lucasarts is sufficiently dumb, they'll never make an official game with properties like Warlords, let alone one with all the features we'd want, so thank you.

I'm not so sure witht he VSD thing, if you read some of the offical stuff it says that allmost all VSD Is were sold or retired by Yavin. Considering over two hundred of the things were sold to planetary governments the idea that a VSD II is less powerful doesn't make much sense.

I always thought the primary difference between the two ships came down to speed and armament. A VSD II is faster then a I, its still slow, but not horrendously slow. In terms of armament the VSD II was given ion batteries where the I wasn't. Maybe part of the reason for that was that the missiles could be intercepted by well drilled gunners, and that without ion cannons a VSD doesn't make a very good patrol or customs ship. You can't capture crooks if you can't disable their ship.

In speed I think most of the ships are slow, but when it comes to manueverability, I think at least for the imperial ships, you've got it right on.

I'm not sure about the rate of fire for the ships. Its quite clear that turbolasers can fire relatively rapidly from footage of the death star runs, but if thats true for ship based and weapons of different types is unsure.

Having some of the high end imperial warships strikes me as overkill, but hey, the imperials specialized in overkill.

I understand the problem with newtonian physics in a game, moreover I realize that playing a game with realistic physics like that would cause all sorts of trouble, especially with the smaller craft, like fighters and transports.

What I'd really like to see would be a single player campaign for the addon, and I know that it would be an absolute ton of work. There would be no way EvilleJedi could accomplish a complete campaign with the time I think he has.

Signature:

I'm not so sure that a single player campeign would really be worth it. From my experience the Homeword 2 singleplayer is pretty linear, and you can't select your faction. Even if you were able to have multiple factions, what would you do for th Empire? If you have the win the Battle of Yavin, Hoth doesn't happen. If you skip past Yavin and start after the DS I is destroyed, you pretty much have to skip to Endor, and you don't have much after that if the Empire destroys the Rebel fleet. I think that it's best to keep it with just multiplayer

Woo, 1000 :D:D:D

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Admiral you confused me with the 'Wooo 1000 :D:D:D ' bit explain please. (yes i realize this is off-topic but i'm curious).

storm...

I'd like some single player missions - maybe not campaign style, rather a choice of doing different battles. This way there'd be no impact on future games, you play either side and you still get to be part of the action.

Some battles that I'd like to see:

Escape from Hoth

Battle of Endor

Battle of Coruscant

Battle of Bilbringi (against Thraw, and here he doesn't have to die :twisted: )

Battle of Yavin (not with the Death Star - the one with Daalla)

Something involving the Mon Remonda

Battle of Mon Calamari (World Devestators, not Daala's sneak attack)

Hmm, actually after readying the NJO a lot of Imp vs. Alliance battles avade me :?

P.S. Congrats GAT on reaching 1000 posts :D

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

• SWR Staff - Executive

thequick point on the VSD is that if you look at its lasers it is useless, but the missiles are exceptionally powerful, I think they were removed because of both imporved fire control to shoot them down, limited range, and expense, the VSD I

as for single player the following is planned (but scripting is very difficult until we get a decent template built up)

historical battles (pretyt much any random cool battle you can find that involves a few capital ships)

Hoth campaign. (starts at hoth and then a few missions)

Dark Empire campaign (this is what I eventually want to work on)

these are pretty much written out, the problem remains getting them to work in the game (and no one is helping me)