Balance and ideas

EvilleJedi

It is possible that they are running an older version of the game or, you may be. It is also possible that multiplayer is not supported on GameSpy at this time...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on there RIGHT NOW. So if you see this within the next ten or so minutes, GET ON THERE!

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I was just looking at the shiplist, to see what new vessels to expect in the next release version. Anyway, I noticed that the Empire can/will be able to build several Corellian warships - Corellian Destroyer, Corellian BattleCruiser, Corellian Light Cruiser and Corellian Battleship. Why not make it so the Alliance can build them for faireness, it gives the Alliance another super capital, pair of cruisers and another destroyer helping to level the gap between the sides large warships. If these vessels are able to be contructed early on, ROTJ or earlier, for the Empire perhaps you could allow the Alliance to build it in a later time scope ie. Dark Empire or pre- NJO - after all, story wise, the New Republic would be able to get Corellia to build the warships if need be due to them being the new dominant goverment etc.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Guest JediIgor

Suggestions (mainly balancing, not really new features):

1. Tweak zoom so when you're in strategic mode (press SPACE) it does zoom out a lot slower. If possible make it so you can hold a button and move the mouse up/down to zoom in (like you can hold shift to move the ships up/down.. except for zoom!).

2. Tweak the AI if possible, I played them on Hard (will try Expert now) and all they ever build is at most a Dreadnaught while I'm already running around with a Vengeance-class Super Star Destroyer.

3. Make the difference between some ships more clear (or point me in the right direction, cause I don't seem to see the difference between a TIE Fighter and TIE Vanguard for example except that the TIE/V has a squad of 3).

4. Make it so you can dock on most ships, I mean why the hell can't I dock on an Vengeance-class Star Destroyer when it's so big there's gotta be a few hangars.

That's about it, I'll come up with a few more suggestions once I get better at this game :).

I only play on expert... and it can give ya a good game. I went up against 5 opponents and they send a couple Execetors and Vengeance class ships at me. They seem to prefer the Vengeance. Probly cause its cheaper.

Yeah i've noticed that with the ai as well (i play it on expert ofcourse, hard aint a good enough challenge), though im quite glad for it because executor=death to the rebels. JediIgor for some strange reason the a.i is the most balanced on expert. I noticed like you on hard that the ai would just build dreadnaughts (and the occasional SD). Tis just a pity i have to play it in the pre-njo order or i cant win as the rebels :lol:

Jacen Solo: "What happened to the war?"

Pellaeon: "It went away."

Guest JediIgor
I had the time to play against 5 AI on Expert today. When I finally built the Executor (and it takes a LONG, LONG time, even with 40 miners!) the game crashed shortly after I zoomed out to get a bigger picture :(.

ok a, do you have a super computer or somethin, at full details and best resoultion(the games too pretty not to put options at full) i can only run 1 ai possibly 2 without it becoming imensely choppy, and b, unlucky that it crashed, and im impressed with your resolve to mine and not just use resource injections

• 2 weeks later...
  • SWR Staff - Executive

turn off NLIPS in the game options to make the corvettes smaller.

as for laser lengths. this is what they should be, heavy turbolasers ar nearly 1 km long and even smaller lasers are 100 m or more (at least according to the movies :-P )

I agree with bobandrubert - the old laser length was great! The knew lasers, while looking awesome, are far too long for the game. I played it only for a little while, though my RSD was dwarfed by its own laser fire.

So far, everything else in the game is great! The new ships (the one's I've tried at least :wink: ), fairer prices, the pics for each ship and the description's for all the ships (some don't work - I'll post a list later on which don't work for me).

well all the destroyers have had name changes plus theres quite a few new ones. Lots more frigates(worried how a 10,000 creds frigate cant remember the name does somethin like 3000 and an assault frigate whcih costs 13,000 creds only does 600 damage). Not sure about corvettes or fighters

Firstly, great respect to Evilejedi for making a mod with such a rich sample of the SW universe while cutting out as much of the horrible RPG/PC game fallacies as possible. The mod is a joy to play, and *finally* playing a SW game with ROTJ style battles, huge and powerful heavy turbos, and even no size or shielding errors makes me wonder why Lucasarts never made a game like this :)

Since is is the 'balance and ideas' thread, I'd like to suggest (counter to what most posters seem to expect) that prequel ships be added almost exclusively to the Empire. The Rebellion, and later the new Republic, build almost entirely new designs, and didn't use Acclamators, or Praetors, or whatever. The logical place for the Republic fleet is in the Empire. And I don't expect the new Republic to get many additional heavies, because until very late in the Republic they just didn't have any.

Apart from occasional crashes, the only real issue I've noticed is appalling accuracy, particularly against MC80s and destroyer shipyards. On one occassion, 3 ISDs were firing at an MC80, and all fire was directed at a point behind and in front of the MC80, missing completely. The ships seem to be deliberately targetting a point outside of the target ship.

Advice to players having trouble playing as the alliance - your fighters have hyperdrives, use them. Stay Away From The Heavy Turbos On ISDs. Hit and run ;)

Again, props to EJ. I particularly like the rating system for weapons, and I'm frankly amazed you've got such an effective shield system, where (finally) fighters cannot damage caps without salvos or caps to blast the shields down for them. I even noticed smaller ships getting hull damage before the shields were down... excellent. Pefectly captured sense of scale.

EDIT - actually, the prices for the MC80-series could use some tweaking, simply because they aren't very good.

On one occassion, 3 ISDs were firing at an MC80, and all fire was directed at a point behind and in front of the MC80, missing completely.

Thats was something i noticed in the last version (0.29) but i havnt heard of it since. I have seen the lasers miss (not all have to hit) but it could be to do with the laser sizes sometimes looking outta place (ie a laser the same size as a ship goes straight through it, with smaller lasers that would be less noticeable).

I've had the same problem - it appears to be mainly with Mon Cal vessels, perhaps the shape :? Though, I've had it for a Neb-B and a refinery ship as well in version 0.30. When this occurs, I move my ships elivation up or down from the target - which generally causes them to hit. I've also had it happen for a single salvo for a Titan, nearly all shots missed the hull by less than 20 metres (judging by fighter length).