Balance and ideas

EvilleJedi

• SWR Staff - Executive
Who actually plays with resourcing though .. everyone just uses injections :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally find the game more interesting if you use resourcing. Perhaps not exclusively, but it gives the game a great deal more depth for me if I use low or nonexistent injections and have my primary cash flow be through my resourcers.

(snip) making the only strategy (not tactic) the frontward smash.

I think that Shasla sums it up fairly well. One of the major defects of the engine is that there isn't lots of room for intelligent tactics, just building mass fleets and killing stuff. Only if they have an equally massive fleet does the game become at all cerebral. I don't know if Eville can think of a way to fix that problem, so I'll go away.

I also realize that I tend to complain a lot. It's not meant out of malice, or dislike of the game. I'm trying to put forth ideas, perhaps Eville can make something useful out of them.

EDIT: In CLONEWARS there's an option to turn of hyperspacing, but not so in WARLORDS. I rather like this option, is it possible to enable it in WARLORDS as well? (I have .45, I don't know if it's been added in .4997)

~Resident Warlords Curmudgeon

To keep this from devolving into a personal taste debate, I'll just say that it's not realistic at all to expect a mining pod to be able to take more punishment than a small military corvette. If I were Eville, I'd change it. As I'm not, I'll leave it up to him.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, awesome mod :D Without a doubt one of the best...ever. One of the small things I think could be improved is the age restrictions on ships. I think the interface would seem a lot cleaner if some ships were made obsolete (unbuildable) at certain ages later than the one in which they saw the most use. In terms of realism, its quite possible that some of these ships were still around several 'ages' after they saw the most use, but by the end of the timeline represented in the game, surely no force would still be using many ships from the Clone Wars period, or ships even older than that.

I feel that the interface, and the game, would be that tiny bit nicer if one didn't have to scroll through ancient starship designs to get to the more modern and useful models. Not only that, but it might make a more immersive single player experience if ones opponent wasn't swarming around in extremely outdated ships and instead relied on the ships we know they favoured from the movies and the EU.

Just my 2 cents :) Kudos again on the awesome mod, loving it, cant wait for the next release.

• 3 weeks later...

When I'm playing Clonewars from the Separatist side, I'm always confronted by mass walls of fighters. Now, don't get me wrong, fighters are great. But the Speparatists lack a decent counter to the Aethersprite and Actis Jedi fighters, such that I've had my entire military operation destroyed by them before.

Now don't get me wrong: the Jedi fighters should make an appearance. But I'd suggest putting them in a separate class from the normal ships much like the Separatist Droid Fighters. In this case, you'd be able to build a very limited number of them, perhaps four squadrons. Since Jedi were never very common, I don't think that the republic should be able to concentrate twenty four of them in one place, let alone have replacements when those die.

That'll give Separatist fighter wings a fighting chance, and eliminate the rather silly problem of having an entire fleet held up by two dozen Jedi in ships.

If this post is at all unclear, pardon me. I need sleep right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Yeah, this mod is a great one. Resource ships should not be heavily armed or armoured, they should be susceptible to military raids, even fighters. Commerce raids is a good way to whittle down an emeny before going all out on his base. I'd like to see some ships designed solely for hit and run purposes though, as that is a major part of some strategies.