So, now what

Warb_Null

I joined up when i saw my blue diver pass by on the sins forum. VaderEclipse told me i'd be welcome even if i don't test much.

So here i am

For those who don't know me, i'm a modeller mostly for Empire at War. I'm a complete noob when it commes to sins modding.

I hope to lend my assistence in the modeling and skinning department.

So, the important question : how can i help. what is needed ?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Models and skins (the color/CL texture, aka. main one, and if you can make them, detailed light/DA). Hands down the one thing that we really lack, and the one thing I can't make or do myself. A partial list:

High Priority:

BTL Y-Wing (from scratch)

Your Harrier Frigate (lights need to be merged with the main material [plan to use it as the Agave's model])

Mediator (lacks proper UV/skin, current skin is a filler; engines fine however)

Viscount (lacks proper UV/skin, current skin is a filler, engines "spots" are non-existent on the model)

Praetor SD (lacks proper UV/skin; engines fine)

Lower Priority:

Tector Star Destroyer (from scratch)

CIS star base (can be anything that fits the look)

I'll complete this list later this week, after the final I got, though everything else is truly flavor and minor things, these are all the "big" ones so to speak. I'm also planning to slap in your amazing Republic Station (level 5) as the Republic's star base, and miniaturized versions of the level 2 and 3 as the civilian and military research stations, respectfully, for the non-Vong factions.

When it comes to what I can do, I can rig up models for Sins (assuming there's no complex material merging to be done), make normal maps (NM), make basic DA maps, and convert .mesh to .max. The first and last of these are detailed on this site, if you wish to read more on them, though I can do all of those if you'd prefer to focus on making the models themselves (in the case of reskins I just need the model). The aforementioned site also has tons on Sins modding in general.

Here's how to make NM textures. Nvidia has a normal map filter for Photoshop (included in their DDS plug in). This can be used on/with the CL texture. Once you fire up that filter, play with the settings to get the most noticeable lines in the 3D preview, and hit okay. After alter it to black and white (Photoshop's Black and White adjustment does this well), and copy the red channel to be your new alpha channel. Ideally that's all you have to do, if the CL doesn't have a lot of color variations sometimes you need to mess with the base texture to make the differences more pronounced, I have yet to need to do this personally however.

I'll post up a "how to" for basic DA maps later, one example is a basic DA map is the Blue Diver's DA maps, CRUISER_NRBLUEDIVER_DA.dds and CRUISER_NRBLUEDIVER_BRIDGE_DA.dds. Virtually all of the CRUISER DA textures are solid examples of a complex one, such as CRUISER_IMPDREADNAUGHT_DA.dds.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Oke, i'll start with merging the lights on the harrier.

I noticed a lot of the window lights were missing on the blue diver too. As for the bumpmap on that one, i put a bunch of smaller blisters in the bumpmap. they're not on the model or on the texture I'll see about putting them back. Also i modified the UV map to fix a nasty texture seam.

The Y-wing is not the clone wars one right, just the normal rebel one. Fighters need to be very low poly right?

for the CIS starbase you could use the one from RaW. I can't clear it with Z3r0x right now since he's gone missing but i doubd he'd object since we're using lots of SOGE models.

A reskin of the Preator is underway. I've asked Arvis Taljik to do it last week. We needed one for RaW too :)

Oke, i'll start with merging the lights on the harrier.

I noticed a lot of the window lights were missing on the blue diver too. As for the bumpmap on that one, i put a bunch of smaller blisters in the bumpmap. they're not on the model or on the texture I'll see about putting them back. Also i modified the UV map to fix a nasty texture seam.

Awesome. As for the window lights, imo it looks nicer with just the bridge lights, though that's your call.

The Y-wing is not the clone wars one right, just the normal rebel one. Fighters need to be very low poly right?

Yup, the Rebel one. Fighters don't need to be low poly, it's preferred though, a stock EaW fighter works too.

for the CIS starbase you could use the one from RaW. I can't clear it with Z3r0x right now since he's gone missing but i doubd he'd object since we're using lots of SOGE models.

They're using something other than the vanilla Rebel base now? That could work. Yeah, I tried contacting Z3r0x when the Malevolence's skin was put in, got no reply, but I pressed ahead with it anyways.

A reskin of the Preator is underway. I've asked Arvis Taljik to do it last week. We needed one for RaW too :)

Excellent! :D

Thanks for the Harrier! The CIS station looks really nice, however, I wonder how well it would scale down, in terms of size, to the Golan platform. Though, I assume the picture you included is the level 5 station? If so, you wouldn't happen to have screens of levels 3 and 4 would you?

Edit: Well crap, seems Sins hates your Harrier for some reason. It looks fine in Softimage but not ingame. I'm going to ask around as this seems like a Sins issue.

I read Myfis0's reply to what could be the cause. My model does have 5 sided polys. Here is a new version with triangles only

http://speedy.sh/5bgsF/Harrier.rar

I hope that will work better.

The level 1 through 4 CIS station pics also included.

The Y-wing is almost done, i'm skinning is right now.

Awesome, thanks! Edit: Yup, that did the trick, working as intended now.

The Mediator is done. It's still a masive blue blob but but it looks better now.

http://speedy.sh/zR8YZ/Mediator.rar

I modified the UV a little so you'll probably have to re rig it. sorry

The Viscount is going to take a bit longer. I plan to redo the whole mesh from scratch. No disrespect to the original creator but i think i can do better.

In the mean time i'll pick of some other items from your list.

"Tector Star Destroyer (from scratch)" Why from scratch? why not modify the ISD. afaik the only difference is the no hangarbay.

also you mentioned my republic station. is that the Kaliida shoals station? or the Jovan station ? I can get the mesh and textures ready for you if you want.

And what about that CIS base, do you want the RaW one ore would you rather have something else.

Are the trade stations and freighter going to be replaced too. If so, i have a couple of freight stations (remade from XWA) and a bunch of freighters.

The Mediator is done. It's still a masive blue blob but but it looks better now.

http://speedy.sh/zR8YZ/Mediator.rar

I modified the UV a little so you'll probably have to re rig it. sorry

Excellent! Re-rigging is fine, I planned to do that regardless, as the Mediator really lacked weapon points.

The Viscount is going to take a bit longer. I plan to redo the whole mesh from scratch. No disrespect to the original creator but i think i can do better.

Not a problem, I eagerly look forwards to seeing what you come up with!

"Tector Star Destroyer (from scratch)" Why from scratch? why not modify the ISD. afaik the only difference is the no hangarbay.

If you think you can modify the ISD instead, go for it! I'll upload the mesh in 3DS for you. And yeah, the only difference is the lack of a hangar bay, and the "lack" of an external reactor core; it was buried under a ton of armor.

also you mentioned my republic station. is that the Kaliida shoals station? or the Jovan station ? I can get the mesh and textures ready for you if you want.

I'd be referring to the Kaliida Shoals. The level 2, 3, and 5 are what I need. Edit: After looking at it, if you have a Jovan station done, could you rig that up as well?

And what about that CIS base, do you want the RaW one ore would you rather have something else.

Level 1 of the RaW one works perfectly; it should scale down well. Edit: I'd like to request the level 5 station as well. After thinking about it, the level 1 would fit well as a hangar defense (as the XQ line was made in the GCW), and the level 5 as a proper station, all while at the same scale.

Are the trade stations and freighter going to be replaced too. If so, i have a couple of freight stations (remade from XWA) and a bunch of freighters.

Yeah, it's something I hope to do in the future. Admittedly I haven't put much thought into it, trying to get the combat ships and research done first. I'd love to see what you've got!

Sorry for not replying to this quicker; just finished exams yesterday.

You're putting out models faster than I can rig 'em. :P I'll get onto these right away. I'd like to request the "station-1", "station-2", and Jovian level 5. Need to mull over the freighters, though I will be using a bunch, there's more than enough there to give each faction, sans the Vong, both a trade and refinery ship. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the "Familybase"? Once again, I can't thank you enough for all of this. Edit: Would like to request 1, 4, 2, 9, 5, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 17 of the freighters.

You're putting out models faster than I can rig 'em. :P I'll get onto these right away. I'd like to request the "station-1", "station-2", and Jovian level 5. Need to mull over the freighters, though I will be using a bunch, there's more than enough there to give each faction, sans the Vong, both a trade and refinery ship. Out of curiosity, what exactly is the "Familybase"? Once again, I can't thank you enough for all of this. Edit: Would like to request 1, 4, 2, 9, 5, 12, 13, 15, 16, and 17 of the freighters.

Family base is the Azzameen's station. From X-Wing Alliance.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Azzameen_Station

Well these models are all allready made, just a mather of getting them ready. When it comes to building them from scratch ít'll take a bit longer.

The familybase is from XWA but i've added some structure to it so it could be a five tier station for use with EaW.

Edit : Here are the Jovan and station 1 http://speedy.sh/j6a3H/Jovan.rar

Lavo, don't you think the empire could get an Allegiance Star Destroyer instead of the Imperial SD Command capital ship? If Lavo agrees, could you (Warb_Null) model one? That would be damn impressive!

Ref pics:

http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/front_c4.jpg

http://www.shatteredequinox.com/wiki/images/1/1e/AllegianceDestroyer.jpg

http://wwwdi.ujaen.es/~lgonzaga/cursos/animacionflash/ejemplos/1/Allegiance%20Star%20Destroyer.jpg

Oh and Lavo, maybe you could use the Azzameen family station as the trade port? Or perhaps an XQ2 station, if available.

I'd rather stick with the ISD mesh for the ISD Command. The Allegiance was never a class of it's own; it was the name of an SSD in the service of the Reborn Emperor and an ISD-I in the service of the NR.

As for the Azzameen, it's a beautiful mesh, but it doesn't fit well as a fortified station. However, it could work as a trade port. Hrm... Originally I was thinking of using station-1 and -2 as trade ports for the various non-Vong factions, with refineries to come later. Though now that you bring up the subject, perhaps it would work as the Alliance's refinery?

Here is the station 2

http://speedy.sh/tq9Qn/Station-02.rar

I think the Allegiance IS in a class of it's own. SSD is too general, everything over an ISD gets called SSD. From allegiance way up to executor. It would make a nice command ship.

EvilleJedi allready made a beautifull model of it (your first pic) so there is no need to redo that.

Just my opinion though, don't let it cloud your judgement Lavo ;)

I would, personally, very much like a new second-tier capital for the Imperials - nobody uses the Torpedo Sphere anyway. I see no reason to remove the Command ship or the Tector, and instead make the Allegiance a bridge to the Executor (more firepower than the Command or Tector, SUBSTANTIALLY less than the Executor), etc. We can generally say from the Dark Empire comics that the Allegiance was roughly 3 to 3.5 km long (let's call it double an ISD, for ease) with much more breadth and depth. It'd make a good third capital ship and first supercap for the Empire, and make them more capable of competing late games without an Executor.

Let's face it, the Empire faces a handicap no other race faces - their one decent supercap is prohibitively expensive for most games, and any other race's first, moderately powerful supercapital can lay waste to their fleets. The Allegiance, already gorgeous in its own right, would fill a needed role.