List and Observations in BETA testing

Planetkillerzz

For that time count down between when a ship's considered "in battle", do you know where that is exactly zoommooz? I admittedly can't find it. There is a modifier called "considerBeingDamagedTime", but this is related to how long it takes for a ship to "feel" the damage from being hit by a laser or missile.
Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will these changes to repair rate in combat your talking about make the ai easier to beat because the ai will not know when to withdraw?

Somewhat. Incombat hull restore rates won't do much to save an AI's rear if you are hitting it with overwhelming firepower anyways. With the AI, once it's shields are down, it's gone period. Even if it has 0.7 hull restore per second rather than 3.5 hull restore per second, this decrease will only do so much (this example being from a Vong supercap, which has the highest hull restore rates currently). To further put this into perspective, this is of 168 hull per minute "less" than before. One shot from a Nebulon-B's main guns does more damage than this.

For that time count down between when a ship's considered "in battle", do you know where that is exactly zoommooz? I admittedly can't find it. There is a modifier called "considerBeingDamagedTime", but this is related to how long it takes for a ship to "feel" the damage from being hit by a laser or missile.

Are you sure? As I thought this line related to how long a ship is being considered to have been attacked for 'in combat penalties. In my game I have this set to 300 seconds and I just checked, damage is done as normal, with the effects instantaneous (well, the normal effects of the damage being given at the end of a particular volley as set in weapon type info). Also, the flashing red effect of a ship icon, when the ship is under attack and you are zoomed away remains long after combat, the lenghth of time being the 300 seconds I set for the above considered being damaged line. Lastly, the lines position, in the gameconstanst file suggests that it ties in with with both lines above it (In combat hull repair, In combat fighter build rate). On a separate note, my in combat fighter build rate is definitely affected by this timer also.

Will these changes to repair rate in combat your talking about make the ai easier to beat because the ai will not know when to withdraw?

In my games I have seen the ai withdraw when it has started taking hull damage, but I have set my hull point and shield point at +125% higher then the standard game, so, there is actually time to withdraw and have a chance to warp out of danger. I especially found the Vong good at this, with one of their capitals escaping on me about 5 or 6 times. I had to make a concerted effort to 'hunt down the Bismark'

Are you sure? As I thought this line related to how long a ship is being considered to have been attacked for 'in combat penalties. In my game I have this set to 300 seconds and I just checked, damage is done as normal, with the effects instantaneous (well, the normal effects of the damage being given at the end of a particular volley as set in weapon type info). Also, the flashing red effect of a ship icon, when the ship is under attack and you are zoomed away remains long after combat, the lenghth of time being the 300 seconds I set for the above considered being damaged line. Lastly, the lines position, in the gameconstanst file suggests that it ties in with with both lines above it (In combat hull repair, In combat fighter build rate). On a separate note, my in combat fighter build rate is definitely affected by this timer also.

I'm not entirely sure. However when I set it to 0, ships instantly took damage from shots, or so it seemed. I'm likely wrong on this. It needs testing; much more testing.

Can you guys increase the probability that the ai will withdraw along with decreasing its hull repair rates?

AI's that withdraw (to me)appear to be more alive.

No, AI hardcoding.

Wow. If only all beta testers actually... tested like this.

I'll keep you guys up to date on balance-type stuff... Make sure that while you're messing around you don't screw something else up lol...

And Lavo, do you want me to make an in-game icon for the NTB-360? (or whatever it is...) I can try to make one here (no idea how to add it tho... but i can make it... that centax icon bugs the crap outta me)

Sins of a Galactic Empire Mod Team Staff

Wow. If only all beta testers actually... tested like this.

I'll keep you guys up to date on balance-type stuff... Make sure that while you're messing around you don't screw something else up lol...

Don't worry, we can always revert back to an old revision.

And Lavo, do you want me to make an in-game icon for the NTB-360? (or whatever it is...) I can try to make one here (no idea how to add it tho... but i can make it... that centax icon bugs the crap outta me)

I already made a mainview icon for it; I don't know why you aren't seeing it. It isn't too great an icon though, so if you can whip up a good one I'd be happy to slap it in. I'll make a HUD icon and picture soon; don't worry about it.

I've been play mostly as NR and have a slight recommendation.

Names of various techs are Torpedo volley, Heavey Ion volley, and volley fire.

That's alot of vollies :D

Even though they are different, there has to be a more descriptive way of naming these techs without the volley in each.

• SWR Staff - Executive
What would you suggest?

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Well for starters:

In the tech tree you research Heavy Ion Cannons, but on the ships its called Heavy Ion Volley ; It should just be Heavy Ion Cannons.

Heavy Ion Blast could still be the sub category of Heavy Ion Cannons. Or take it out in place of something else.

In the defense tech tree you research Maximum firepower,to unlock Volley fire; It should just be Maximum firepower on the Starbase.

I guess you could leave torpedo volley as the last of the volleys. :)

In the tech tree you research Heavy Ion Cannons, but on the ships its called Heavy Ion Volley ; It should just be Heavy Ion Cannons.

Heavy Ion Blast could still be the sub category of Heavy Ion Cannons.

This is named due to the fact that the tech item applies to both Ion Blast and Ion Volley.

In the defense tech tree you research Maximum firepower,to unlock Volley fire; It should just be Maximum firepower on the Starbase.

Eh. This doesn't really mesh well mainly as the ability is in fact a variant of the capital Volley Fire ability.

I'm open to suggestions on the change however, if something fits you can be sure it'll be in right away.

Electromagnetic pulse weapon?

Ion particle cannon?

Also it would be cool to use the tractor beam graphic from SOA2 as a way to differentiate? between ion blast and ion weapons.

It would be split second lasting, not like the tractor beam pulling version. Just a quick flash.

As I have nothing better to do.... I was thinking is it possible in the Sins game to create a race that would never destroy enemy ships but just to render them useless for LONG periods of time? (10 min) This would have a great impact as the other side would lose the use of its ships ,plus their fleet level would never go down.

Btw just ideas..very low on the list.

And I'm to busy playing to learn how to do anything productive. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
NR hangar defense still uses the old fighters (X, Y wings tier 1; A, B wings tier 2) and researching "advanced fighters" does not unlock tier 2 fighters.

Will fix the Hangar Defense; seems for whatever reason I forgot to add the NR's Hangar Defense from my working copy. Will look into the advanced fighters thing... It should be working fine. Unless you mean for the Hangar Defense, in which case that's expected as the NR doesn't have the tech to unlock Rebel fighters.

noticed that the AI will spam capital ships now from rev 667-670 ish. i used to like to fight 2 AI on hard but now I have to use normal. not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet, just an observation.

noticed that the AI will spam capital ships now from rev 667-670 ish. i used to like to fight 2 AI on hard but now I have to use normal. not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet, just an observation.

Been noticing this as well; I'd say it's a good thing as it makes the AI tougher.

Maybe this has already been reported, but playing as the Vong, I have two research I can't make because the prerequisite is absent. I want to develop Deep Space Trade, but it says I need to research Golan III first and I can't find-it anywhere... Known issue?

Maybe this has already been reported, but playing as the Vong, I have two research I can't make because the prerequisite is absent. I want to develop Deep Space Trade, but it says I need to research Golan III first and I can't find-it anywhere... Known issue?

Nope, I did not know this, I will fix it as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up! Edit: I will take this oppertunity to note that today I noticed that the AI was able to build some of the research forcing frigates, due to an oversight/lack of knowledge on my part. I will get around to fixing these as well.

I have been playing a lot recently and I think that that AI cap ships should start at level 1 instead of 3 by default. They are way overpowered in my opinion, especially because the AI tends to spam them now. I don't mind facing an AI rush from 3-4 cap ships, but my level 1 ships have no chance. I guess the answer would be to increase the map size that I play on so that I encounter the AI later in game, but I don't like to play long games.

I usually choose the random medium (enlarged, extra planets) and play vs 2 normal AI. That takes a couple of hours but recently I have been losing when they gang rape me with 5 capital ships each. Even if they were all level 1 I might still lose.

I have to disagree with a reduction back to level 1, one can take on rushes effectively with tactics and, if one is the defender, defenses. Missile Defenses are relatively cheap but they do a damn good job in small numbers early game. In fact, 3 Missile Defenses plus 6 Turbolaser Defenses will swat down 2-3 AI capitals with relative ease. I've even managed to take on fleets with 6-7 capitals, one of them a supercap, to my 4-5, none a supercap, and have been able to beat the AI back thanks to using good tactics and not standing still. Additionally, if the level cap is changed, the AI won't build capital ships as it is now.

However, I will consider a reduction to level 2 and, if that does not significantly change the makeup of AI fleets, then I will implement it permanently if that is the case. I'll upload the change to the SVN later today.

ok i understand what you're saying here. i was also able to beat 2-3 capital ships with 6 missile defense platforms, although i had to rebuild 1 or 2, cant remember exactly. hopefully at level 2 it will feel more balanced. i noticed the AI doesn't tend to link it's trade network, so once i get mine up and running it's pretty much game over.

i noticed the AI doesn't tend to link it's trade network, so once i get mine up and running it's pretty much game over.

Unfortunately, the AI is absolutely shoddy at empire management; it never moves it's homeworld to an urban planet as it should.