List and Observations in BETA testing

Planetkillerzz

I checked, was playing Star Wars Galaxy Lite...when you build the cap factory..the cost of the first two caps is 0. And they are highlighted as if you have the cash even though you dont. ( I guess thats cause their free?) as nr btw

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked, was playing Star Wars Galaxy Lite...when you build the cap factory..the cost of the first two caps is 0. And they are highlighted as if you have the cash even though you dont. ( I guess thats cause their free?) as nr btw

Yeah, Nova made that map, likely left the first capital free. *Checks* Yup he did. This is a standard feature in vanilla Sins, in SoGE it's been turned off (for the most part that is) as in SoGE capital ships are extremely powerful, all the supercaps fall under this catagory, and having the first one free guarantees that entire fleets of cruisers and frigates would be wiped out by capital ship spam.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

So your changing it or leaving it as is?

Well now that it's known what it does, let's see if Nova wants it changed, it is his map after all.

lol nah... something I forgot to change. You can change it. :P

k, done. I'll upload it to the SVN, along with a bunch of changes namely capital ship ones, once it's back up. Also, some of the map descs are cut off, for one reason or another.

Also Planetkillerzz, if you and your friends happen to have an open slot for your MP rounds, I'd love to join in, haven't had an MP match in awhile. ;)

Were always happy to take more people, mind you we play in a relaxed non-uber competitive way. Were a bit more into the immersion value than the win I suppose.

If that play-style is ok with you, you're more than welcome to join us.

We could add the allegence or titan as the middle ground cap ship.

There will be no middle ground capital ship. The lower tier supercaps already serve as a bridge between the larger supercaps and capitals. Besides this, this would mean adding in mid-tier capitals to every faction, when balancing current ships is still an issue, and there isn't any models for these, while some current ships lack skins and models, never mind star bases.

This makes me a bit sad, I disagree that it automatically requires all the other factions to get YXZ of caps. You say NR is supposed to be able to chew the SSD on one to one with their end-tier, which means they will have what I am suggesting Empire also have in terms of options. They have 5 cap choices being better at every tier than Empire, having a very powerful in-between cap and then the penultimate end-cap. Problem is all the cruisers are better too so what you end up with is a massive one-sided faction. Intentional or not but that is weak sauce.

The synergy between the NR caps is also notable. Shield regen, gravity wells, good to epic firepower pending on Tier, etc. If anyone should be firepower heavy it would be Empire. I may not be up to canon lore as much you lot but both films and the books ive read is about "might is right" for empire, so they should lack subtlety but be heavy on hammer meets anvil. In the current incarnation they're weak pants :)

The irony is I dont even play them much anymore but we would like them to be the mean AI. Speaking of which, we have never ever seen them build a SSD when in AI mode, despite some 50+ games on this mod over the years and even as we play in Unfair mode. Is this intentionally? a engine limit?

I do not agree on the Praetor explanation either. As much as it takes more cap slots that doesn't really translate into actual gaming terms as you cannot have SSD´s for all cap slots as your fleet supply runs out, and is neither a hindrance or a problem. And as much as you can take it down with less than all out assault, you cant when there is 3 of them. They waste anything ive ever seen.

mind you I think Republic is good but Empire is not in my humble opinion. NR seems over-the-top. Somebody must really dig those fish people :P, Republic, and CIS seems well balanced, Empire, Alliance seems to need a tiny bit of tweaking love to be up there.

Again just observational, your mod your rules.

• SWR Staff - Executive
SVN should be back up. I set up to load when the server starts up now

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

It would actually be cannon. The Empire relied more and more on ISD's and star cruisers as they lost more and more systems. The ISDII should be the best cruiser in the game bar none. ISDIIIs were the mainstay of the Imperial Fleet well into the Legacy Era. Cap ship wise I'm not sure why we need a tector capital and a ISD capital. Make the Tector a cruiser and make the ISD a ISDIII and add in the allegiance and something else. titan, sovereign, eclipse, tyrant, the elusive Super SSD (a slightly redone SSD would do the trick...).

Were always happy to take more people, mind you we play in a relaxed non-uber competitive way. Were a bit more into the immersion value than the win I suppose.

If that play-style is ok with you, you're more than welcome to join us.

This is how I've played my MP matches in the past. :P

This makes me a bit sad, I disagree that it automatically requires all the other factions to get YXZ of caps. You say NR is supposed to be able to chew the SSD on one to one with their end-tier, which means they will have what I am suggesting Empire also have in terms of options. They have 5 cap choices being better at every tier than Empire, having a very powerful in-between cap and then the penultimate end-cap. Problem is all the cruisers are better too so what you end up with is a massive one-sided faction. Intentional or not but that is weak sauce.

The NR supercap should be better than the SSD one on one is what I'm saying, not that the SSD should be instantly killed. The capitals are better than the Empire's indeed, but that is how they were designed, though in their current form it is a bit much at times, particularly the MC90's backup shields, which I'm fixing. As for the cruisers, the Nebula needs some fixing I will agree, and I've fixed up the MC60 a bit recently.

The synergy between the NR caps is also notable. Shield regen, gravity wells, good to epic firepower pending on Tier, etc. If anyone should be firepower heavy it would be Empire. I may not be up to canon lore as much you lot but both films and the books ive read is about "might is right" for empire, so they should lack subtlety but be heavy on hammer meets anvil. In the current incarnation they're weak pants :)

The Empire does have more firepower, this is why they have the firepower-oriented tech tree. From tier 4 onwards (aka. when you need 5 research labs), the Empire has more firepower upgrades, yet less shielding upgrades, than other factions.

The irony is I dont even play them much anymore but we would like them to be the mean AI. Speaking of which, we have never ever seen them build a SSD when in AI mode, despite some 50+ games on this mod over the years and even as we play in Unfair mode. Is this intentionally? a engine limit?

The AI doesn't build supercaps often, even on Unfair mode. I have seen an Empire AI build an SSD once before, I believe I still have a saved game from then, if you want me to check and show you pics.

I do not agree on the Praetor explanation either. As much as it takes more cap slots that doesn't really translate into actual gaming terms as you cannot have SSD´s for all cap slots as your fleet supply runs out, and is neither a hindrance or a problem. And as much as you can take it down with less than all out assault, you cant when there is 3 of them. They waste anything ive ever seen.

mind you I think Republic is good but Empire is not in my humble opinion.

Like I said, this boils down to personal preference. I've had games before where I have built multiple SSDs in one fleet, it was simply game over after then.

NR seems over-the-top. Somebody must really dig those fish people :P, Republic, and CIS seems well balanced, Empire, Alliance seems to need a tiny bit of tweaking love to be up there.

Have you tried a Vong AI? Now that's where you see something that's very obscene. Mind you, I've refrained from touching those guys with a 5 foot pole as they're unique from all the other factions, as they should be, but I don't know how exactly they damned work. Anyways, I've done some tweaking to the Empire... Tell me how it works out.

It would actually be cannon. The Empire relied more and more on ISD's and star cruisers as they lost more and more systems. The ISDII should be the best cruiser in the game bar none. ISDIIIs were the mainstay of the Imperial Fleet well into the Legacy Era. Cap ship wise I'm not sure why we need a tector capital and a ISD capital. Make the Tector a cruiser and make the ISD a ISDIII and add in the allegiance and something else. titan, sovereign, eclipse, tyrant, the elusive Super SSD (a slightly redone SSD would do the trick...).

um, what. Why should the ISD-II be superior to the Nebula SD, which was a more efficient and superior vessel, not to mention one designed specifically to take on cruisers like those of the ISD line? The reason the Tector is a capital is for variety. It's a different capital from the ISD Command, even more so after the ability changes I've done, which will notice. A reworked SSD would be a damned ton of work, and it would be far better and simpler to fix the SSD. Edit: Also, forgot to mention, the ISD I and II, in terms of sheer firepower, already have more than all the other faction's top tier cruisers, even the Vong.

Edited by Lavo

We must be in two different realities or maybe we are missing some information in mechanical understanding terms.

Fully researched trees the lower tier Imperial caps are nothing like some other caps low tier in this game when we look at in-game stats anyways, and as I said some NR cruisers ie not supers outmatch or closely perform to them.

I am starting to get the feeling im missing something in terms of understanding :P but if we look at the stats on the ships in numbers it doesn't make sense.

The NR cruisers have overpowering shielding and shield restore rates. That's their main strength. The ISDs have underpowered shielding, even if they have good firepower. I wasn't disagreeing that the ISDs make lame cruisers, honestly I prefer any of the other faction's top tier cruisers to them pre-patch, I was saying that they do not lack firepower. Edit: When I talk about stats, I talk about the stats in the entity files. The ingame weapon ratings are misleading as the weapon damage they give is an average of sorts of the four weapon banks (front, left, back, and right), even though most of the time ships fire from their most powerful banks (left and right, at times front as well) as seen by when they face the left or right or in some cases front.

The NR cruisers have overpowering shielding and shield restore rates. That's their main strength. The ISDs have underpowered shielding, even if they have good firepower. I wasn't disagreeing that the ISDs make lame cruisers, honestly I prefer any of the other faction's top tier cruisers to them pre-patch, I was saying that they do not lack firepower. Edit: When I talk about stats, I talk about the stats in the entity files. The ingame weapon ratings are misleading as the weapon damage they give is an average of sorts of the four weapon banks (front, left, back, and right), even though most of the time ships fire from their most powerful banks (left and right, at times front as well) as seen by when they face the left or right or in some cases front.

Ahh gotcha.

Makes sense then.

Couple of questions, let me know what times is good for you for MP games, and secondly is the Yuuzhan Vong AI capable ? I mean can I play against them or only as them?

Also awesum job at the SVN Update log, I didn't want to mess up the updates thread so <3 from this one!

Also I have started looking at the files with notepad trying my way forward in the darkness that is my absence of skills or greater understanding, but at least its a start :P

Couple of questions, let me know what times is good for you for MP games, and secondly is the Yuuzhan Vong AI capable ? I mean can I play against them or only as them?

For times, this week I can do pretty much any time, as I'm on spring break. I wouldn't play as the Vong as they're really cheap. As an AI they are the toughest AI on average.

Also awesum job at the SVN Update log, I didn't want to mess up the updates thread so <3 from this one!

Thanks!

Also I have started looking at the files with notepad trying my way forward in the darkness that is my absence of skills or greater understanding, but at least its a start :P

This is the best way to learn tbh, it's how I've learned everything I know personally.

I always play phase lanes/names off, only hitting alt when I need to see what I need. Last couple of updates when I hit alt the game slows to a crawl. Never happened before, I'm thinking new planets w/ extras? The funny thing is with phase lanes and names on it isn't bad. When you hit alt every ship in the galaxyes icon comes on, thats part of the problem.

I always play phase lanes/names off, only hitting alt when I need to see what I need. Last couple of updates when I hit alt the game slows to a crawl. Never happened before, I'm thinking new planets w/ extras? The funny thing is with phase lanes and names on it isn't bad. When you hit alt every ship in the galaxyes icon comes on, thats part of the problem.

Yeah, hitting alt lags the game to hell. It's useful for doing mass selections and seeing fire arcs however.

The workaround would be if phase lanes and icons even when on, would fade away zoomed in. Is there a way to change the icon/zoom ratio? it's good to see where everything is, but zoomed into a well the fighters are still annoying icons.....any eta on a finished m60 model? I won't build them yet...... :lol:

The workaround would be if phase lanes and icons even when on, would fade away zoomed in. Is there a way to change the icon/zoom ratio? it's good to see where everything is, but zoomed into a well the fighters are still annoying icons.....any eta on a finished m60 model? I won't build them yet...... :lol:

Nope, and no eta, I'm a coder, not a model maker. That's one of eville's jobs.

In a mod that's 99.9% perfect....it sticks out....

I'd love to see an MC60 model as much as you do, nothing I can do to make it happen though.

Ignore my ignorance ? But couldnt you not being a modeler, swap it out for another ship?

I've tried that, for some reason this screws with the ship's weapons, as it fires less for some reason.