New Planets!

NovaCameron

Prison planet( would see huge prisons from space) and

Post apocalyptic world. ( off shoot of barren)

There are no "prison planets" in SW, the closest there is is something like Kessel, and that is merely an asteroid that houses a lot of prisoners for labor.

For post-apoc, there's really no point to this, besides the fact that they are virtually non-existent in SW. This is mainly due to worlds being able to be "rebuilt" or re-colonized even after a terrible event, such as when Taris was bombed in KotOR, or the terraformed half of Coruscant after the Vong occupation.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, Rocky or Toxic would be fine for those. (Which I do use. ex. Uba, Camaas, Honoghr are all toxic. Ithor is also Toxic (post-vong).) Or even Barren for Delta-Base-Zero or strong orbital bombardment, which would result in a volcanic type world like Humbarine post Clone War.

Ya, there really isn't much in the way of prison worlds in the effect that it would change the appearance or attributes of the world. I even thought about putting in Tibanna Gas or Spice, or even Nova Crystals, but these are not adequately programed into the engine and are just covered by the base planets fine.

Oh BTW I will have some nice surprises for you all in the next update... 8)

Edit: wbino will LOVE it... lol

Ooooo but this is a BIG update... It will take sometime. :P

So many things to add.... :lol:

I'm even going to release it as a mod on it's own when it's done. So it will pop up on the Sins forums to. It just has grown that big....

I'll just say there will be a some reworking of a few textures, reworking of the resources, adding of a tons of new stars, stars as planets (non-col), redone non-col clouds and storms, new clouds and storms, reworking on the eye candy asteroids, and the adding of somethings they said couldn't be done... I think you can guess. What haven't I listed? :mrgreen:

Yup! I got moons to work in the game.! :D they are just eye-candy but I can do so much with them! And not just moons, which is why I asked for artists to make space objects I can put in as well. Some textures will be edited so they are moon friendly

-'m just learning to mess with the asteroid files so this will push back the planet release but it will be epic. But this also means I'll release this all on the sins forums as well when it's done.

And not just moons. I can do star clusters and black hole clusters. Mix them with a particle and I'll be doing stars and black holes with accretion disks. Sins has just became the most epic game in history.

Since I know little about how these files work it will take some time to get the moons to act right. But it is possible!so find meshers for me and planets can have shipyards, factories, habitats, stations, anything you want to put in the game please make it and I'll put it in.

The stars will also be getting a overhaul along with the plasma and magnetic storms. More star types, colors, clounds, and storms will be put in. Also, binaries and multiple star systems have just became possible, but only as planets. Stars have major restrictions so only one star can be the main star and nothing can be added.

I'm hesitent to add planets on the basis of their moons for now. That may be done in the future after the planets, stars, and moons are done.

Interesting, very interesting. Looking forward to seeing these! However, I'd be careful with messing with stars, seeing as how they are the main "building block" in systems, so to speak. Also, I'm sure you could find some meshers on the Sins forums.

There's not much you can do with stars. I can change the color, texture, model, and well radius and that's about it. All those will be changed. So you will see a huge spectrum of stars. :P Also will be made in planet form. and moon form... lol

Nova, really love your work, but I never understood the fascination of moons in this game. I've seen your new moons they look great and really atmospheric. What I don't understand is what is the difference between having a smaller scale barren planet in very close proximity map wise to a larger planet an not call it a "moon"? I guess if fighters couldn't fly through planets it would be fun to hide behind a moon for a surprise attack. :lol:

I was playing a random game last night and in one instance the next closest planet was in high orbit with the well I was in. So close it appeared to be a moon, I understand not in the same well, but you can't orbit the earth and the moon at the same time either. If there was a way for two "planets" to share resources that could be a work around to moons.

If I weren't so busy playing this game I would love to learn some skills, or have the brain cells left to help you guys move this epic mod along. The first thing I would do is fix that mc60 and add a cap to the NR ......My new favorite side to play as...but from what I'm reading their overpowered in shielding. And I thought I was getting better.

Well moons are absolutely awesome just to have. Since I've cracked the files It also means we can have neutral structures hanging around planets. These and moons, and asteroids, and dust clouds can be placed ANYWHERE. They have great flexibility along with being randomly generated for each planet. They exsist out side the grav well, or in it if the numbers are small enough inside it. These are all rendered as part of the planet. Yet outside it. Think of the asteroid fields. Now with these files cracked I can put larger roids in, move them around in different configurations, and do ANYTHING I want to it. The possibilities are endless.

Do you have to consider performance issues?

He's been considering those, has been working with the textures to try and ensure maximum compression.

So you plan on releasing this to other mods?

As he's said before, the next release will be via the Sins forums. ;)

Performence has been maxed out on my planets. I've been messing around with the ship textures and I need to upload those so you guys can try to find any difference in quality cause I'm not much of a texturer. Lol. Moons won't add anything. I will add in a few more textures for some planets, night side mainly for new high planet types. And one or two complete new planets. Stars will eat up some more since there will be ten textures of different colors I think. roids will have new textures but those will be small. Same with clouds and storms. New models I hope won't take up that much since we can bin them down to 147kb each so I'm not too worried about star models eating up a lot more.

Last stupid question(s) for the day.......Currently your new planets only show up in the ones labeled as such? Are there plans or can they be thrown into any random map or put into the stock maps on the fly? And will ship graveyards be thrown into the random mix? Or this can only be built into a custom map currently? And why would that be......

No they work in the random maps. But they don't work with any of the stock maps. If you want to make some go right ahead. Ship graveyards will stay apart. They are a scenario planet only for the reason that it is unheard of. They should be rare. Ships rarely appear in graveyards unless it is a plot point for a story. Most ships stay in graveyards for centuries, would you really use a weapons cache from centuries ago in a current war? It is very easy to find things in space. There must be a plot point for new ships to appear in a graveyard. If any were found they would be good for scrap and that's about it. In reality they wouldn't stand a chance against newer weapons. So ship graveyards will remain a plot point only because it is unrealistic to expect anything else.

Plus there is the spookiness factor as well. No one is going to want to buy/serve/command/have anything to do with a 'cursed' ship. How did it get there? Why was it abandoned? Space battles would leave junk and would be well known enough that people could salvage/scrap the junk floating around. Plus factions would try to get intel on ship designs, codes, and orders. Anything that could help them. They wouldn't leave ships floating about. And surely wouldn't leave any of theirs. Plus it's a navigation hazard. There are tons of reasons why ship graveyards wouldn't really exist except for an 'unknown'. And no one wants an 'unknown' touched ship.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Moons are awesome. Star Wars isn't really the same without them... Yavin IV, Nar Shaddaa, Forest Moon of Endor... you get the idea.

Awesome NovaCameron!

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.