New Planets!

NovaCameron

Ok this will be my new planets thread with all my plans, progress, and information for the new planets. I also hope to upload them to the beta, once I figure that out, as each one is done. First things first a list! It's split into each planet type I have so far with a short discription of them.

Terran Type Planets (easy planets):

Terran: Like Terra, duh, with multiple climates, in game already. (I'll rework it anyway, maybe or maybe not a new texture.)

Pangea: One massive continent. Half Terran and half Desert. ex Bandomeer

Savannah: Plains and Forests with seas. ex Bothawui and Dantooine

Forest: Forest with Plains and seas. ex Endor, Gamorr, and Kashyyyk

Mountain: Mountains ex Ossus, Rishi

Tropical: resort worlds

Low Terran: low population in the millions/uncolonized

Desert Type Planets(medium planets):

Desert: Desert... already in. Remade! ex Tatooine, Rattatak, and N'Zoth

High Desert: Geonosis

Tundra: Tundra with ice caps and some forests

High Tundra: Orob-saki

Jungle: Jungle with seas. ex Yavin, Thyferra, and Rodia

High Jungle: Kalee

Arid: Plain, Seas (maybe), and Deserts. ex Ord Mantell, Ansion, Nubia

Agricultural: Farms, lots, and lots of farms. Have to feed the ecumenopolises of the galaxy some how. ex Chandrila, Ruan, and Taanab

Ice Type Planets (hard planets):

Ice: Ice sheets. ex Hoth, Ilum, Rhen Var

High Ice: Csilla

Oceanic: Water world. Mannan, Kamino, Rakata Prime

Swamp: Swamp and seas. ex Dagobah

High Swamp: Nal Hutta, and Toydaria

Rock: Barren of life, wasteland.

Crystal: Shiny crystal planet. Mygeeto (low population)

High Crystal: ex Christophsis

Industrial Type Planets (centralized planets):

Ecumenopolis: All glittering city. ex Coruscant

Rusty: Run-down ecumenopolis. ex Metellos and Nar Shadda

Urban: All land is urban but has oceans, usually highly industrialized. ex Taris and Eriadu

High Terran: These are the centers of culture, commerce, ect. ex , Entrallia,

High Terran Economic: Brentaal

High Terran Cultural: Alderaan

Low Industrial

Industrial: Polluted factory worlds (maybe split up... industrial/foundry ). ex Fondor (maybe rusty?), Bonadan

High Industrial: High tech industry. ex Corillia, Kuat

Academy: High Military worlds. ex Anaxes, Cardia, Foerost

ORD: Ord Trasi

Aquatic Industrial: Aquatic worlds with industry. Mon Calamari

Volcanic Industrial: Volcanic with industry. Sullest

Volcanic Type Planets (extreme planets):

Volcanic: In the game already. (Remade!) ex Mustafar

Gas Giant: In the game. (Remade!) ex Bespin

Ice Giant: Smaller gas giant. Just for variety. More Crystals.

Toxic: Polluted from industry or environmentally unfriendly to humans. ex Duro, Raxus Prime

Barren: No atmosphere.

Acid: Corrosive atmosphere. ex Vjun

Asteroid Types

Asteroid Shipyard: Bilbringi

Comet: Crystal roid

Asteroid: Metal roid

Post comments and ideas. :P

Done planets with maps!

Yay! Second version out! (srry for re-uploading the whole thing, i forgot what files i changed)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20018806/SOGE%2BNovanBeta2.rar

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20022621/Large_Urban.mesh

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20024414/patch.rar

Have fun! Check back sometimes for new maps and scenarios.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Sins will crash (highly likely) when you first install this. This is because sins doesn't read the new galaxy file. It references the old one and freaks out. Once it crashes it will reload the new one.

Thanks to NASA's Blue Marble project for the textures and Celestia modders for the cloud textures.

Map List:

Star Wars Galaxy Light 70+planets

The Centrality (small map 15 or so planets)

Kashyyyk and Neighbors (medium map 40 or so)

Arkanis Sector (small map 20 or so)

Speacial!: A taste of what is to come.

Two scenarios over Sith space set during the Great Hyperspace War! Play as either the Sith or Republic in conquering or defending the Sith Empire from Naga Sadow's folly.

1 planet each side. The Sith must reunite themselves and the Republic must establish a foothold on korriban to continue the invasion. Small local map.

Currently working on: The Conquests of Xim the Despot

Play as either Xim and the Tionese Empire or the Hutts as Xim invades the Hutt Empire!

Edited by NovaCameron

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SWR Staff - Executive
I always thought Mon Cal was a water world, Sullust either a desert or arid world. Maybe I'm wrong, since you did all the research. Looks cool

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Well the problem is that they are both high industry. Both are major shipyards and should have shipbuilding bonuses. Mon Cal is water, and Sullust is volcanic actually. Which neither will have building bonuses to ships.

Grr I'll add Aquatic Industrial, and Volcanic Industrial. I don't want to, but it makes no sense not to. If I start adding individual planet type for each planet it will become unmanageable.

• SWR Staff - Executive
If I start adding individual planet type for each planet it will become unmanageable.

True... but it will certainly make it the most unique planet mod ever! :)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Also, how big should I make the textures? 5, 10, 16, and 21 MB are the levels. Loosing clarity you increase.

Editz: ah nvm, it seems to like the high compression textures and it doesn't make any difference. dang.

At 10 megs a planet you're looking at 300 megs in textures for thirty planet types if you're not using duplicates for some of the types. That's an awful heavy load for a game that keeps everything in memory.

I will use duplicates, no textures, and re-meshing. I seriously want to remesh the planets, but I have to learn the edit the mesh. Which might take some time... I'll mesh it so the texture doesn't have to be so big and see if I can lessen the taring at the poles. And change the mesh so that it shows clouds on the dark side. That always pissed me off... So ya, this might take awhile but it will be so worth it.

I've made a new planet mesh. yay. But... I've killed the cloud textures in the process...So if anyone has an idea on how cloud textures are applied to planets I'ld love to know. I think it has to do with the GS_Planet.fx but I have no idea. It maybe a seperate texture layer on the mesh but I doubt it.

Edit: Nvm. I fixed it. Yay! I now have a completely new planet mesh, that works. Onwards! I'll make a Terran, Ice, and Volcanic texture first and then start working on the others. Or... we'll see. ^^

Oh and I hope to ax some brushes. since there can be only 1000 textures (hard coded limits, brushes included) and planets as they are take up 271. 8O But I'm not sure how many of those are duplicates... not many I bet. So I think Eville will be happy if I push that down. :D Then he can add more ships and even new races.

Note: Ocean and Acid done. They were simple ones. lol Now to do Brushes...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, almost there! kinda... not really.

Meshes: 95% need a few more planet sizes. And tweaking.

Textures: 99%! yay! one or two need tweaking but otherwise awesome.

Brushes: 20% long way off on this one but it should be fast.

Strings: 50% need to add in different planet sizes.

Entities: 5% need different planet sizes... and they need to have info put into them.

GalaxyInfo: 20% Dunno. All the Planet-size ones are in. Need more.

I have a question: What size should the planets be? I have them at 2.5 the original size. Should they be even bigger? 5X? I don't want to go larger than that. Might break it (the game). Since I scaled the planets accuretly. The Gas Giant is HUGE but it's at half it's (maximum) size right now. (might put in the maximum size for fun.) And you have to go around the planets... larger they are, the larger the grav well.

I'm also doing the stars, at a different ratio of course. I'm worried about scaling those.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a very nice mod.

Are you using the Star Wars Atlas as a reference? Is has loads of tips on the major hyperspace lanes, which can double perfectly as phase lanes.

• 3 weeks later...
Not meant to offend, Nova, but this may just be too many different types that will create too much of a strain on the game. What I would prefer to see done is the implementation of Uzii's Sins Plus - 11 new planet types and ~70 new planetary bonuses. I've been playing vanilla with it and it's a VERY solid mod that really adds to immersion.

Im currently 90% through a map using uzi's sin plus mod based on the star wars galaxy, should include around 800 planets based in large sectors currently 100 or so (sectors and systems merged based on location) and the two mods (sinsplus & soge) merge and run no bother. Hopefully I will get it finished soon and release it.

Not meant to offend, Nova, but this may just be too many different types that will create too much of a strain on the game. What I would prefer to see done is the implementation of Uzii's Sins Plus - 11 new planet types and ~70 new planetary bonuses. I've been playing vanilla with it and it's a VERY solid mod that really adds to immersion.

Been meaning to post this for a few days, I'll admit its the main reason I came to the boards, is that I've been working on combining SoGE 1.0e (with Ludo's unofficial music pack) with or without the minidumps fix, with Sins Plus (v1.02 I believe, the same version Chimaera has). I've made some great progress thus far, and it's actually near completion. However, I've run into a slight problem (I got LogOutput and ShowErrors set to TRUE), while I've always had a failure when I try to enable the mod, now my logs are ALWAYS blank and the only thing, and I mean the only thing, that pops up in the error windows is: "Failed to convert '' to an enum value.". Even if I tell SoaSE to skip it, the game crashes, and I really have no idea why. I've tried getting rid of GasGiants (and related files) and BuffDominion, to no effect. With or without them, I get the same thing (which I'm assuming means they aren't screwed up). I've also not included any of the research things from Sins Plus (any planet with a special research path, aka. GasGiants, has had that changed to "Asteroids", and is set to colonizable). I've also totally rewritten the entity.manifest file from scratch, tried running it with SoGEs strings, Sins Plus', a combo of the two made by myself (Sins Plus stuff added to SoGE), and no strings at all.

If anyone has any idea what's causing the "Failed to convert '' to an enum value." error, input would be greatly appreciated, and I'll happily post up everything I've done if anyone wants to take a look at it themselves, or if this wants to be included in a beta release of sorts.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

800+?

I really don't think that would be playable, lag wise. Unless you go all lowest at 640x480

Been playing a test on a rough completed version and well it started ok but after about say 80 planets or so it became very laggy.. almost unbearable with this in mind Im going to cut the number of planets and sectors, I also found there to be too many phase lanes which will also be cut, not sure as to allow lanes to the stars (sectors) and allow travel between them.

• 3 weeks later...
This mod is the size of uzii's, and looks MUCH better. Still working on it but it should be ready soon. And I've reworked every planet from scratch. Nothing has remained untouched. Ironclad's planets don't exist in-game anymore. They were 120MB by themselves.

• 1 month later...

Oi!

You need to say what beta revision this is with!

Presuming it mods the entity manifest...

And when referencing files in the mainifest, they do need to exist... there's no GameData folder with that download!

Sins of a Galactic Empire Mod Team Staff

I'm going to give that mod a look, see how it compares to Sins Plus (and if I like it, slap it in with or replacing the Sins Plus planets in the addons, for my usage that is >_>).

Edit: There's no actual code for the planets in this... Just the meshes, random SoGE stuff, WIP maps (which look pretty nice, if I may add), and other misc graphics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Umm there is... it's in complete working order for what it is.

Ahhh... I see now, bar the maps, this is a purely gfx/skins/models mod (for now anyways). ...Should have realized that earlier.

Tried to get this working, but all it gave me was a Kashyyk map that ended up crashing (causing an instant loss) on start. I really like the idea though.

edit: Ok, so some planets are implemented. When zoomed out the planets disappear, and the included maps don't seem to work, but there's a bunch of SW planets included. Though Yavin is an astroid instead of a gas giant.

• 2 months later...

Srry haven't been working on this in a while. But now that I have figured out all the bumps that were causing me to put this off, code-wise and RL-wise, it's moving along at a good clip. Soon I'll put them all in game and do some final tests.

Notes:

I have removed all 'bonuses'. This is because they are a pain and they make no sense in relation to the SW galaxy and with my planets. If you can think of new ones for me to code in I will do so. (Besides the Trade, Culture, and Building bonuses which are balanced and almost finalized.)

If, when the final thing comes out, you think a planet type should have another size please tell me and why.

Sector maps and a few light galaxy maps will be provided with the release.

Questions? Comments? (Yes I WILL finished this thing soon...)