Heroes Dying

Dorkthehunter

Should heroes die?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should heroes die?

• Yes
    • No

He becomes upset if things get a little off topic is all. Since the question has been answered by an official source, he is trying to head off any off-topicness.

Excuse you who are you to tell people what i feel noob. Learn some manners, i was just asking if we should close it, because the question was answered calm down...and dont get me started with you Swiftdraw. SO MANY things i can say about you...

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not calling you anyhting... You do get a little picky if things get off topic. If I wanted to call you a noob, I would do so. And I really don't care what you call me, you probably couldn;t think of anything I haven't heard already.

edit: Ahhhh, I see where this is going. Off topic and all kind of flames... You'll probably get your wish anyhow.

I'm not calling you anyhting... You do get a little picky if things get off topic. If I wanted to call you a noob, I would do so. And I really don't care what you call me, you probably couldn;t think of anything I haven't heard already.

edit: Ahhhh, I see where this is going. Off topic and all kind of flames... You'll probably get your wish anyhow.

He's right. You are getting off topic. I was asking if you think heroes should be respawned we know that they can, but do you like it. It was not really a question of if they can or not, it was your opinion.

I hope none of the mods jump to conclusions too early and get rid of the respawning ability too soon. Wait till the game comes out until you change it! If it really is as fun a Delphi calls it, don't change it!!! Let the game be! You don't have to change nearly every aspect of the game if you don't like it. Make your own game! (not your own mod--your own new game)

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Yes, but due to your question people went off-topic, and some started to ask if they would be re-spawnable... :wink: And someone did answer the question...

p.s Swiftdraw, all i said was can we close this now that we know if they'll be re-spawnable, how is that going off topic? good god, your saying i don't like when people go off topic, who ever did?

Yes, but due to your question people went off-topic, and some started to ask if they would be re-spawnable... :wink: And someone did answer the question...

p.s Swiftdraw, all i said was can we close this now that we know if they'll be re-spawnable, how is that going off topic? good god, your saying i don't like when people go off topic, who ever did?

Maybe someone who isn't on right now has a question on heroes being immortal? Keeping this open would prevent 50 "heroes can't die thread????".

But yea it will probably close now that you ruined it.

Well since the mods are running off of the game's code I do believe you would be able to enable hero respawn if the mods do get rid of it. Probably some will even use the same XML code for it, unless the mod developers have something special in mind, in which case you'll probably have to harass them about it.

Well since the mods are running off of the game's code I do believe you would be able to enable hero respawn if the mods do get rid of it. Probably some will even use the same XML code for it, unless the mod developers have something special in mind, in which case you'll probably have to harass them about it.

Well if you harass you won't get nothing since people get harassed return the favor :) If heroes goin to be godly and annoying (its ok if they're annoying but not godly) then I want their powers turn down a tad to even things out 8) I wonder if any unit can snipe troopers in one hit and wonder how much of hero powers you can use.

The only main reason I can see in favor respawn is a slight matter of balance. I suppose it might be considered in terms of 'fun' depending on how you look at it.

Basically consider an equal battle. 50/50 exactly. The two armies clash, and there is no clear winner, both have few units left over. The heroes clash. Now say if your one hero gets taken down and your enemy on 1hp then retreats his a short ditance again to heal. Now the balance is a lot more in his favor. So much so that all hope of regaining the upper hand is gone instantly without being able the chance of getting a hero back.

Then again this does depend on how much damage normal units do to heroes, but still it might get frustrating fast. One error of 2-3hp and you lose a game. Petroglyph want it to be about tactics and skill of a player, and if that means they can have a respawn to help pull back from that defeat then I can see their reasoning.

Still, I can also see it being my fault if I lost that way for not taking better care of my hero. I'd much rather see them truely dead. They aren't gods. I wouldn't want them to be.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Basically consider an equal battle. 50/50 exactly. The two armies clash, and there is no clear winner, both have few units left over. The heroes clash. Now say if your one hero gets taken down and your enemy on 1hp then retreats his a short ditance again to heal. Now the balance is a lot more in his favor. So much so that all hope of regaining the upper hand is gone instantly without being able the chance of getting a hero back.

Problem I see with that is when you have equal forces, strategy should decide the fate of the battle not respawnable heroes.

Heroes should be an ace in the hole, not a constant on the battlefield.

The heroes don't spawn right after they die. Or anywhere near that battle. It just adds some more strategy and fun to the game.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

I think it depends, if they die in a skirmish, i think they should stay dead. It is the players fault there are madics i believe so it isn't like you can't heal your hero, also i hear that heroes are extremly hard to kill as it is.

p.s when ever you mkae a reply, do you have to reply to that person showing what they said? (quote) :wink:

This makes me wonder: Delphi said that there is a timer for bringing back dead heroes.

Is this timer something that you can only activate DURING a battle, or is it something that you activate on the Galactic Map? If it it something that you select in a battle, does the timer restart when you start a new battle, or is it frozen in its state of progress?

I think we should be more specific.

I think for single player campign and one on one campign, the heros should die if it comes to that. Like they can't escape and death is the only way out.

For a skrimish type match, you should be able to create more then one (but only have one).

Also depends on how powerful the heros are on the battlefield.

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg

finally, the end......after 20 minutes of READING!!!!!

jeez, chatterboxes

my view on this whole shebang is yes, the heroes should be able to die, but not like a normal unit. there has to be some star wars "luck" if you can call it that. we cant just have vader fighting obiwan with 1 health and then getting killed forever by a stray blaster shot....

they need to strike a balance on how far you can push a heroes life while still maintaining the heroes presence as a strong charachter, not invincible like in W3

I've have you now - Lord Vader

Echh; let me articulate myself better. :o

Does the hero respawn timer happen on the Galactic Map, or in battles, Delphi? If it's in battles, does the timer progress from battle to battle (like I get Darth Vader back 50% in one battle, and in the next battle, the 50% has carried over), or does the timer start all over again in the next battle if it didn't reach 100% in the previous battle?

Why would the timer start over? I think it should go on the Galactic Map as well. If ships can be built there, then why can't heroes be....whatever they are doing--respawning?

If heroes respawn on the Galactic Map, then it would be only a matter of time before they came back.

In that case, is there another way to outright pause the hero respawn rate rather than putting the value at 99999? Such as deleting the line altogether in XLM, or perhaps disenabling a toggleable option? Like "heroes respawn = true" to "heroes respawn = false."