44 members have voted

1. 1. Should heroes die?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a strategy game, and one strategy is knowing where and when to place your troops and if someone dies because you made a mistake, then you should not be able to get them back (for he remainder of that game).

Think about if, if Luke died at the hands of Vader in ESB at the end Luke would not jump out of a bacta tank and say, "hay that stuff dose work good, you cant ever tell what i was slices in half from the waist up" or such not.

Still kinda odd if you can recover him/her after he/she was on a planet that the Death Star blew up.

:lol:

*Leia mourning Lukes death from being on a planet destroyed by death star*

*Luke pops in*

Luke: Hey Leia!

Leia: I thought you were dead!

Luke: Nope, perfectly fine

Leia: How did that happen?

Luke: Respawned.

Leia: Oh.....

Luke: Wanna Make out?

Ahh, incest. :shock:

Anyway, that doesn't answer my question. Has or has not Delphi confirmed that respawnability can be modded to keep them dead?

Delphi:

I hope we can at least mod it so heroes can stay down for good.

Have at it!

So it doesn't sound like it will be an ingame option but the ability sounds like it will be there.

Blahh, vagueness. He sounds more like he is saying "yes, that would be a cool option for those inclined," than "yes, that is possible." There's a big difference.

Still though, I'll be more hopeful and less negative...this time. :P Petroglyph are a bunch of cool dudes, so I think that these seemingly dissapointing developments are less negligence towards the gamers' needs than simply a strong adherence to what they imagined the game to be.

By far the best compromise between the two is making the game very mod-friendly, and if EaW can be modded to the pleasure of the most obscure desire, well...then they just get browny points, don't they. :lol:

They have said that they are making the game very moddable, and they haven't gone and changed their tune on that one point, YET. So I think that until that happens, we can be relatively secure in knowing that this game can be modded to the point that it resembles the game that most of us expected.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

For the few of you who want no respawn, you can just set the timers in XML to 9999999. Poof heroes do not return.

I understand you guys may not like the idea of heroes returning, but in our play sessions we just found it to be more fun. :)

I believe I added an option in multiplayer to turn heroes off for a truly sterile game-play experience, but I can't remember. I am at home typing this and have not had any coffee. :P

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

You know, after them showing the Darth Vader cutscene in the trailer, maybe the game is as open ended as we hoped. Maybe you can change star wars history but not that much. Perhaps heros can't die because they need to be in cutscences later on in the game (can't have darth vader in a cutsceneif he is dead).

I hope this isn't the case, I hope it is more open ended than story driven.

His home is his office! They have built in coffee machines and bathrooms so they never sleep or leave, but his coffe machine broke. :(

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

For the few of you who want no respawn, you can just set the timers in XML to 9999999. Poof heroes do not return.

I understand you guys may not like the idea of heroes returning, but in our play sessions we just found it to be more fun. :)

I believe I added an option in multiplayer to turn heroes off for a truly sterile game-play experience, but I can't remember. I am at home typing this and have not had any coffee. :P

Turning off heroes, as in their respawning, or their existance?

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

I have been thinking on this question for a while. If one of your heroes died on a planet blown up by the DS, would you want to get it back? I would. As long as Petroglyph makes the time a pretty substantial amount, or the money a lot, I will probably be fine with heroes respawning. I also think respawning is a poor word to use, but I don't really know what to replace it with.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Well, if they were on a planet that the DS blew up it would probably be a true resurrection spell.

For those of you not in the know, true resurrection is a level 9 cleric spell from D&D. With it you can resurrect the dead without needing a body, provided you can unambiguously identify the person you wish to bring back.

....well did the he not answer the question?....look

"For the few of you who want no respawn, you can just set the timers in XML to 9999999. Poof heroes do not return.

I understand you guys may not like the idea of heroes returning, but in our play sessions we just found it to be more fun.

I believe I added an option in multiplayer to turn heroes off for a truly sterile game-play experience, but I can't remember. I am at home typing this and have not had any coffee."

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg