Things you hate in Star Wars

Eagle

One would imagine the battle between Yoda and Palpatine to be one of Force mastery. After all, is it not Yoda who first tells us that "Size matters not," and Palpatine who shows us just how much more useful some powerful Force-lightning is than a flashy lightsaber?

Heck, we have Vader's fight with Luke in The Empire Strikes Back in Cloud City where Vader nearly took Luke out merely by throwing objects at him through the Force, without a single lightsaber swing! A battle like that would have been great in Revenge of the Sith!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would imagine the battle between Yoda and Palpatine to be one of Force mastery. After all, is it not Yoda who first tells us that "Size matters not," and Palpatine who shows us just how much more useful some powerful Force-lightning is than a flashy lightsaber?

Heck, we have Vader's fight with Luke in The Empire Strikes Back in Cloud City where Vader nearly took Luke out merely by throwing objects at him through the Force, without a single lightsaber swing! A battle like that would have been great in Revenge of the Sith!

Or not. :roll:

Personally, they simply should never have put Yoda and Palpatine fighting anyone. The mystery and mystique of their skills would have remained, but having them fight is like waiting for Episode I to come out, expecting something great, and then getting Jar-Jar Binks! :x

"Look I so old to you?" The idea behind this would be that what we see is only a fraction of the battle; the vast majority of it is in the realm of the Force, and invisible to us.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

You know, before the Prequel Trilogy came out I believed that Yoda and the Emperor were so powerful in the Force that they had both outgrown the need for lightsabers.

That's a cool idea about their battle being invisible to the eye, and in the realm of the Force.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

In the Star Wars CCG game I used to play, the Yoda and Emperor cards were not allowed to equip lightsabers, based on the premise that a Jedi Master did not use sabers, but the Force itself.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

In the Star Wars CCG game I used to play, the Yoda and Emperor cards were not allowed to equip lightsabers, based on the premise that a Jedi Master did not use sabers, but the Force itself.
My point exactly.

I have no problem with that younger Palpi and Yoda using light-sabers. It´s more than 20 years before the incidents of TESB and ROTJ, so they still may have learned more in using the force. But I´ve got a problem with the agility of those two. :roll: How old was Yoda when he died? About 800 years or so? So he was about 780 when he was fighting with Dooku and Palpi. Or is Yoda´s age counted like that of a dog? ;)

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Im sure that Lucas would defend that by saying that Yoda was crushed by the loss of all the Jedi, Anakin's conversion, Palpy's victory, and his personal exile to Dagobah. As for Palpy, the Dark Side ate away at his body and what not.

But in all truthfullness, both Yoda and Palpy show a huge aging difference between RoS and the OT.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

How old was Yoda when he died? About 800 years or so?

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you'll not, hmm?" :wink:

Remember that Yoda was an alien, so his aging might (Ok, did. He was 900 years old!) progess at a different rate than Palpy's. Palpatine was human, or a variant of one, so twenty to thirty years would take quite a toll on an already aging body. I'd peg him at about fifty-five to sixty years old in RotS, so he'd be damn near ninty by the time RotJ happened.

Also, with Yoda, you try living in a swamp for thirty years and tell me how you feel. :wink:

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I liked seeing Yoda and Palpatine fight in the prequels. Well, Yoda anyway. I didn't like Palpatine's fighting style much. Yoda's made perfect sense to me. The thing I hated in AOTC, like I said before, was how Dooku and Yoda trade force powers and THEN fight with sabers.

In the OT Palpatine only ever had the opportunity to fight at Endor, and he chose to let Vader and Luke do the slugging. No matter what happened, Palpy would win. Luke kills Vader and turns, becoming the new apprentice. Vader kills Luke and earns the right to stay. Vader turns Luke, THEN Palpy has Luke kill Vader or something equally evil. The only thing he didn't expect was for Luke to turn VADER... At any rate, not fighting was totally in character for him. His fight with Mace was all staged to turn Anakin in the first place...

As for Yoda in the OT, we have to assume that he trained Luke with the saber on Dagobah. Why we don't see it is obvious: because he's a puppet. I for one ALWAYS thought Yoda was the ultimate badass. It goes back to that archetype of the unlikely looking old master who secretly is capable of amazing skill.

I don't think Yoda would let old age or depression get him down, he just had a different focus in the OT. He knew his time as a hero was done and his role at that point was to train the next in line to take down the Emperor and to pass on the Jedi way. I'm betting he could still hand out the beat-downs, it just wasn't what the Force had in store for him anymore.

http://www1.fanforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/weg/htteshuttle.jpg

Where's the toilet?

Edit: Nevermind, it's the thing appropriately labeled "Head"

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Never heard anyone say, "I'm going to use the head"?

To my limited knowledge it's used by the American military, or at least the marines .. and that's coming from TV :wink:

EDIT:

Ah, this'll make things a little clearer Toilets: Heads

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I could not help but think that the roomy compartment of the lambda class shuttle is an evolutionary step up from the Dodge Caravan with the addition of some of the luxuries of a Winnebago. Then again, maybe Lonestar and Barf had it right to start with.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

This is what I mean when I say that whiny Anakin is totally believable.

Seriously, imagine THIS guy with all the power of the dark side and Ani's midichlorian count...

He would've made Vader seem like a model of stoic restraint. The whole glaxay would've been sobbing right along with him.

The goon from that video has his own reality TV show deal now... unbelievable or not... Ripley's?

Was it that popular? I'd never heard of it until Eagle put it here. :?

Sorry for that. Just wanted to do a joke. ;)

Seriously, imagine THIS guy with all the power of the dark side and Ani's midichlorian count...

ROFL

Who cares at all?! :roll: