Movies

Darth_Rob

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SWR Staff - Executive

Bourne Ultimatum.. I've heard good things about it. I liked the first Bourne movies, as much as I can expect from them. A lot of action of course... really no plot that matches the original Bourne books by Robert Ludlum. The books are amazing compared to the movies.

Opinions on Minority Report, decent movie.. I don't like Tom Cruise myself. But I have to give it to Spielberg for making an adaptation of a scifi classic.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I saw Soylent Green yesterday.

IT'S PEOPLE!

http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postp92215.html#92215

EDIT: Oops, that was supposed to be an edit of the previous post.

Moderator support please?

You know, when you made the last post in a thread (IE, most recent) clicking that little x in the upper right hand corner of your post deletes it. Then you could have gone back and edited away.

I thought that Minority Report was decent, and had a good plot, but it sort of dragged and focused too much on "Hey! This is really cool, isn't it! See, it's cool. Soooooooooo cooooooooool! You should look at how cool it is, see this high tech cool stuff?! Yeah, it's COOL!" and that distracted from it a lot (Flying car chase, anyone?)

I finally managed to show my friends Cube. I love that movie...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I thought that Minority Report was decent, and had a good plot, but it sort of dragged and focused too much on "Hey! This is really cool, isn't it! See, it's cool. Soooooooooo cooooooooool! You should look at how cool it is, see this high tech cool stuff?! Yeah, it's COOL!" ...

Parts of the hi-tech were cool, but ... the little ball that had to go around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and ... around until it finally dropped :roll: Good gosh! They should have had a real Rube Goldberg device; at least it would have been more entertaining! :lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Never seen Minority Report, even though it is a Spielberg film. :? I also liked War of the Worlds, which was film number two of the Spielberg-Cruise duo. Apparently they're planning a third. Hopefully it'll be another sci-fi thriller! :D

I also liked War of the Worlds, which was film number two of the Spielberg-Cruise duo.

I was horrified with War of the Worlds. I was excited to see it, and when I did, I was angry. It didn't "feel" right.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I guess I'm not the only one to hate Tom Cruise. :twisted:

I think it might be easier to see who DOESN'T hate Tom Cruiser :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I guess I'm not the only one to hate Tom Cruise. :twisted:

I think it might be easier to see who DOESN'T hate Tom Cruiser :wink:

How can anyone hate Tom Cruise 8O He's the smartest, most perfect person on the planet :roll: . . . . . he's a scientologist! :D

:P:lol:

[Tom Cruise speaks]AAAAHHHHH! Lookout! Thetans! The Thetans are after me! AAAAHHHHH![/Tom Cruise shuts up]

I just avoid him and anything he does as much as possible :twisted::D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Hm, I think this rather fits here than to the randomness-thread. So this may be hard to understand in times of "Transformers" and "Harry Potter", but there was a movie I´ve still remembered since I was a child. It was a french movie from 1977 called "Schach dem Roboter" (something like "Chezz against a Robot"), which was just shown once on german television somewhere in 1980. After that it never appeared anywhere on tv, nor that it made it on video or dvd. So there´s no copy to get anywhere! :?

While I began my research with google I quickly became aware that there are dozens of sites where people still talk about that movie and are glad that there are others who still remember it. Some desperately were looking for a copy for that movie and the only known source is the austrian television, which still has it somewhere in the archieves, where you can purchase a copy for 96 Euros. That´s too much for a bit of nostalgy for me. :)

That movie was so creepy that nearly a whole generation still talks about that. And even I, who saw large amounts of horror-movies, can still remember that film and I still find it very creepy at all. I guess I couldn´t sleep that night after watching it, but I´m not sure. Anyway, it´s about a young very talented pianist who´s ex-friend, a chess-champion, disappeared whithout any trace and there´s that scientist who is building robots who are able to do several things like, I´m not sure if I remember well, dancing and stuff. His newest and most famous creation is a chezz-robot! Someday that young lady is in the audience of a small chess-tournament between a chess-champion and that robot. Of course the robot beats the champion and while it´s moving the rook, the young lady recognises that it moves that rock the same way like her ex-friend did. Well I guess you got the plot. ;)

Now she´s beginning to investigate and for that is going in to a relationship with the creator of these robots, without any knowledge that this guy is planning to build a pianist-robot! Slowely she gets aware that the chess-robot is indeed her ex-friend. Who´s brain is now sealed in that robot-body, not able to talk neither to walk. After that she´s of course trapped in that house of that mad scientist, which is full of robots. Even the dogs who guard that building are robots.

This is a short clip of that movie, which is a kind of summary of the whole plot. Allthough it´s very short, it gives a sense of that atmosphere the whole movie had. Of course it´s a german dub, but they don´t talk that much, so it´s nevertheless easy to follow the plot. Some scenes may be creepy, so if you think you can´t stand that than just leave it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxdI3ZEdfY

Edited by Eagle
Who cares at all?! :roll:

Interesting concept, though, as you've said, the concept itself is more than a bit dated (The whole "robots coming for your brains" thing). However, it sounds like it was executed well, what with innocuous details such as the moving of a rook tipping off the friend and such.

I've only seen part of the new War of the Worlds, but I saw most of the original movie, and have the original book on my list of things to read when I have time. It's amazing how reading something like All Over but the Shoutin' will encourage you to read other books so much...

12/14/07

I didnt even bother with War of the worlds. I'd already heard enough before hand about changes they'd made from the origional story.

You know, when you made the last post in a thread (IE, most recent) clicking that little x in the upper right hand corner of your post deletes it. Then you could have gone back and edited away.

It only works it that little 'X' actually shows up. It *never* does for me. I've seen it once on a post of mine in the time I've been on the forum.

(I can send you a screenshot if you like. :wink: It's really not there for me. )

How many have actually read the H.G Wells novel? I'm curious. Remember, the original movie itself was a bastardization and utter crap compared to the novel.

Basically, the new War of the Worlds should be considered a modern interpretation of the original movie, and I believe Steven Spielberg delivered well and did justice to the novel. If you've ever played Half-Life 2 and experienced the pressure of having to constantly run and fear being captured, War of the Worlds delivers well on this feeling. Then again, a lot of people hate Cruise (I among them) and can't/refuse to see past his casting...

Hm, I think this rather fits here than to the randomness-thread. So this may be hard to understand in times of "Transformers" and "Harry Potter", but there was a movie I´ve still remembered since I was a child. It was a french movie from 1977 called "Schach dem Roboter" (something like "Chezz against a Robot"), which was just shown once on german television somewhere in 1980. After that it never appeared anywhere on tv, nor that it made it on video or dvd. So there´s no copy to get anywhere! :?

While I began my research with google I quickly became aware that there are dozens of sites where people still talk about that movie and are glad that there are others who still remember it. Some desperately were looking for a copy for that movie and the only known source is the austrian television, which still has it somewhere in the archieves, where you can purchase a copy for 96 Euros. That´s too much for a bit of nostalgy for me. :)

That movie was so creepy that nearly a whole generation still talks about that. And even I, who saw large amounts of horror-movies, can still remember that film and I still find it very creepy at all. I guess I couldn´t sleep that night after watching it, but I´m not sure. Anyway, it´s about a young very talented pianist who´s ex-friend, a chess-champion, disappeared whithout any trace and there´s that scientist who is building robots who are able to do several things like, I´m not sure if I remember well, dancing and stuff. His newest and most famous creation is a chezz-robot! Someday that young lady is in the audience of a small chess-tournament between a chess-champion and that robot. Of course the robot beats the champion and while it´s moving the rook, the young lady recognises that it moves that rock the same way like her ex-friend did. Well I guess you got the plot. ;)

Now she´s beginning to investigate and for that is going in to a relationship with the creator of these robots, without any knowledge that this guy is planning to build a pianist-robot! Slowely she gets aware that the chess-robot is indeed her ex-friend. Who´s brain is now sealed in that robot-body, not able to talk neither to walk. After that she´s of course trapped in that house of that mad scientist, which is full of robots. Even the dogs who guard that building are robots.

This is a short clip of that movie, which is a kind of summary of the whole plot. Allthough it´s very short, it gives a sense of that atmosphere the whole movie had. Of course it´s a german dub, but they don´t talk that much, so it´s nevertheless easy to follow the plot. Some scenes may be creepy, so if you think you can´t stand that than just leave it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxdI3ZEdfY

I had a little search for your movie. Turns out its actually a french movie but it seems like it was only aired in germany. The original title is "Le Collectionneur de cerveaux" which litterally means "The brain collector". I'll see If i can find it for you. :wink:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

That´s it, Mad! I wish you good luck for finding that movie. As far as I know it even didn´t made it on video in france. Therefore there also won´t be any copy in switzerland.

Just wanted to share some memories. ;)

Wow! Since I´ve posted this, I can´t watch that vid on youtube anymore. It seems to load and load and doesn´t start to run, while the counter is getting higher and higher. 8O So it looks like I´m not the only person who is still impressed by that movie. :D

So for those who couldn´t watch that movie, here are some pics of some scenes.

@Def: Huh. I'm going to pull the "You run Vista" card for your problems, even if I don't even have the tech savy to fully understand why it's supposed to suck so hard. :wink:

I saw The Astronaut Farmer yesterday on Par Per View, and it was actually a pretty decent flick. I'd give it 7.5 to 8.5 stars, somewhere in that general range.

While it's horrifically innacurate from a scientific standpoint (I'm going to shoot off a rocket from inside of a wooden barn that's about two hundred yards from my house and three hundred from my mission control RV) it's a heartwarming inspirational story, and the acting is top-notch. The little girls in it are so realistic, I sort of wonder whether their lines were even scripted or not!

Issues that anyone who's been to Kennedy Space Center/seen Apollo 13/read Lost Moon/knows anything at all about the Mercury missions will jump out like pedophiles in a room full of small children (What? It's an apt analogy!) but they still, remarkably, don't ruin the movie. You're pretty much glued in from the first half hour on out.

Final review of it: Funny, heart-warming, believable characters, horrible attempts at science.

12/14/07

I saw The Astronaut Farmer yesterday on Par Per View, and it was actually a pretty decent flick. I'd give it 7.5 to 8.5 stars, somewhere in that general range.

I saw the preview for it a few weeks ago. I didn't even know it was in theaters (or was it a direct to DVD movie). Anywho, I was skeptical because I don't like Billy Bob Thorton. He gives me the creeps. But the movie didn't look like his character was like that, so I had mixed feelings. Maybe I'll rent it one night, because if it wasn't Billy Bob I would have rented it sooner.

My Website

@Def: Huh. I'm going to pull the "You run Vista" card for your problems, even if I don't even have the tech savy to fully understand why it's supposed to suck so hard. :wink:

While it's horrifically innacurate from a scientific standpoint (I'm going to shoot off a rocket from inside of a wooden barn that's about two hundred yards from my house and three hundred from my mission control RV) it's a heartwarming inspirational story, and the acting is top-notch. The little girls in it are so realistic, I sort of wonder whether their lines were even scripted or not!

Issues that anyone who's been to Kennedy Space Center/seen Apollo 13/read Lost Moon/knows anything at all about the Mercury missions will jump out like pedophiles in a room full of small children (What? It's an apt analogy!) but they still, remarkably, don't ruin the movie. You're pretty much glued in from the first half hour on out.

Funny, but you just summed up the reasons I didn't see it. :lol:

While I was in NYC yesterday, I saw a movie titled King of Kong. I looked it up, and it is a documentary on two people who compete for a high score in the arcade game Donkey Kong. It is not playing in theaters everywhere, so I cant see it, but I want to...

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween today. I must confess, I've never seen the original, though my friend has, and he felt that it was rather similar to that original.

It was a rather scary, gory movie. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a solid 8.5. The beginning is truly horrifying (Dear Zeus Michael Myers is a creepy-ass child!), but the rest is sort of downhill. There are three (Count 'em, THREE) boob scenes (I think that Zombie felt he had to top 300) and one with full nudity, though not full frontal.

Spoilers:

The movie opens with 10-year-old Michael Myers, who'd mother does her best to provide for him, but works as a stripper. Her husband is a crippled jerk, who thinks his own daughter is sexy, and that his son Michael will grow up to be a queer. His (older) sister is also a bitch.

10-year-old Michael first kills a bully, beating him to a bloody pulp with a tree branch (Very bloody killing), then gets his father (Duct tapes him to a chair and slits his throat, watches it while he's wearing his clown mask. The clown mask is scarier than the rubber one.), then bludgeons his sister's boyfriend with an aluminum baseball bat, then stabs his sister (She had a boob-shot scene) seventeen times (Apparently the number is significant.).

Loomis (sp?) then shows up as Mikey's psychiatrist. Michael's mother shows up to visit him several times (He doesn't kill his baby sister, who grew up hot), but then he stabs a nurse with a fork (Not too too bloody, but bloody all the same) and gets her in the throat. Loomis gives up on Michael fifteen years later, and Michael then escapes. Dumbest scene in the movie: Michael breaks half-inch thick chains on both of his wrists with no help. Yeeaah. Well, no, not quite the dumbest thing ever (He also survives being stabbed straight down from the collarbone, being shot three times, once in the back of the head, and falling from a second story building to the lawn.)

Michael kills five cops and a nurse and a kind janitor, then goes to a truck stop and kills another guy, then goes after his younger sister, who is now seventeen years old and in High School with two very good looking friends (Both of whom have boob shots, one of whom I know for sure dies, one of whom I just assume dies). He kills her parents, both of her friends and their boyfriends, and two cops (just for good measure I assume) before going after her. Loomis steps in to intervene and shoots Michael three times, once in the back of the head. Michael, needless to say, lives. He then strangles Loomis. I'm not sure if he dies or not, there was no crunching noise, and nobody really said anything about him dying.

Anyway, he then goes after his sister, tackles her off of the second floor of his old house (The fights here were really dragged out too much) and his sister shoots him in the face. At least, I think she does. It sort of ends after that, with her very bloody and screaming.

12/14/07

Michael Myers started as a human psychokiller, but in the second part he started to become some kind of unkillable deamonical Monster ala Jason (allthough Halloween came before Friday the 13th). I don´t know how many times Michael has been shot or burned ( I can remember that Jamie Lee Curtis once even cut his head off), but he allways magically survives it to reappear in the next part. Now it looks like that there wasn´t any good explanation why he survived again, so why not start the whole story. I´m glad to miss this movie and all other movies who want to benefit from this 70s/80s-revival. Get some good new ideas, producers and directors, and stop destroying good old stories. :roll: