Veto the Vong?

General--Veers

Is it me or does it seem that the Star Wars EU hit a peek out the gates with the Thrawn Trilogy and has been going steadily downhill. Or perhaps it could be said to have hit bottom with the Vong and the New Jedi Order series? Seems like it really messed with the spirit of Star Wars. It really makes the good vs evil of the movies (in terms of Empire/Sith vs Alliance/Jedi) seem like a small footnote to this impending (inevitable) Vong invasion thousands of years in the making that was to completely change the galaxy. Seems like it marginized the fall of the Empire and Luke's redemption of his father and their defeat of the Emperor. Anyone else feel like there should be some say in some of these things. Perhaps the ability, if something is terrible, to veto it from being canon? haha, relegate it to a mere "variations on a theme of Star Wars" with some sort of warning sticker. How do feel feel about any of these ideas?

-The General

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SWR Staff - Executive

I don't think so. The Star Wars universe continues to grow.. that's what is so great about it. Trying to limit things to a Rebel vs Imperial conflict is just too constrained. How many times can you retell things in the galactic civil war era?

There are a lot of other areas worth exploring. Whether it is NJO, post-NJO, Clone Wars, or even KOTOR.. they all use the same themes that Star Wars is based on. But each has its own contributions to the Star Wars universe that make it richer, more interesting.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I agree with Evaders. Eventually you have to say, "Hey, where do the bad guys keep getting huge armadas of ships from? They've been blown up in the last fifty books!" The Vong series is a good one... I have yet to finish it, though I would like to... That stuff kept me up till five AM reading when I tried to read "Rebel Dream" as my first NJO book... And I got up at eight to finish it off. Ridiculously good books, in my opinion... I don't know about the new stuff, but general concensus is that it sucks.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I haven't read any of the New Jedi Order, and I doubt I will. It just doesn't seem to come across as Star Wars (I know that makes no sense, but each to their own). In a way it does seem that the Imp/rebel war was for nothing because the Vong would have gave the Imps a good kicking even if they had the Death Star/Super Star Destroyer. They come across as too over powered and look like the living dead. It just seems.......................silly :?:
http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

I could not disagree more...I have read all the NJO books and most of the books before that, but not all. I must say I think the NJO is the perfect direction. Sure it may make events precedeing it a little trivial but thats like saying its pointless to make the prequels before the Jedi purge makes it all pointless. The Yuuzhan Vong invasion is the same thing as the Imperial take over. All the books leading up to the NJO series were about small rebellions or large fleets...as Darth Tofu said, "Where do they keep getting these big fleets?".

Another thing, for the first time this really shines light on forgotten planets. This ties together most planets previously mentioned and sheds light on newer races. I mean, dont you ever wonder what happened to the Ssi-Ruuk after Truce at Bakura? Or the Chiss from which Thrawn was born? The New jedi Order brings the entire galaxy together...it introduces something new. It is the first tidings of a galactic order...a unifying of the Empire and the Alliance.

And from a Jedi point of view it opens a new, expansive view of the Force.

In closing I dont believe every single event in Star Wars histroy/future must have the over used theme of good vs evil. They dont have to knock over the head with analogies. I think the complication of things and coming away from the sinlge good vs evil and good triumphing is a great way to go. Though I am worried about what to do after the NJO series.

There is no peace, there is anger.

There is no fear, there is power.

There is no death, there is immortality.

There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

I am the Heart of Da

I must say the really good thing about the NJO is that for once the writers were actually rather good. Quite the opposite of some of the previous Expanded universe books.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

I just love that books. Most really good written, how Mad already mentioned.

You´re excited what is happening next, how will the Vong react, how does the story of the new-founded rebel alliance go on ? who will die ? and so on and so on.

You confused me ^^ the English titel is New Jedi Order ? The German means " The legacy of the Jedi ". Confusing, isn´t it ? I´ve been wondering all the time what they meant with the legacy. So at least I got it doesn´t matter at all.

In a way it does seem that the Imp/rebel war was for nothing because the Vong would have gave the Imps a good kicking even if they had the Death Star/Super Star Destroyer. They come across as too over powered and look like the living dead.

I don´t think so. If the Empire had beaten the Rebels at Endor they would be more powerful than you think. The fleet of the New Republic is nothing against the one the Empire would have built up. The Empire would have been strong enough to blow these ***** Vong out of the Galaxy. See what the New Republic could reach without a deathstar. Without more than two ssd´s. Without a stable government. And the Emperor was the mightiest guy ever been - more powerful than any Jedi living in the New Republic at this time. He would have foreseen it... and destroyed the Vong. Maybe he had been strong enough to FEEL them. To make them suffer. hehe...

Sachsen-Anhalt : Wir stehen früher auf !

• SWR Staff - Executive

Each post era is going to make the others seem insignficant. There was the old Jedi and the conflicts with the Sith Empire, next the Rebels and the Empire, and then the New Republic and the Yuuzhan Vong. In the post-NJO era, there will be a new threat. It's just the way it works.

Snake90, I'm not sure about the German. Because Legacy of the Jedi is the name of the post-NJO era. It is not NJO.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

hm in the books is written : well... find a better word for appear which you can use for books... maybe you can help me

I try to make it understandable :

The American original version appeared (maybe "was released" ^^) under (which preposition is right ?) the title "Star Wars : The New Jedi Order"

And of course the title of the books follows. But seems to be the same.

I agree that these books were far more suspenseful. After Chewbacca died you suddenly went, "Holy crap, anyone and everyone is game!" I liked the references to characters and items in previous books (Eye of Palpatine {Consequentially, what the Hell was that?}, Sun Crusher, Qrrl or whatever the hell his name was the lived on Yavin, etc.) This added to it emmensly as this was no longer "And there's Luke Skywalker who fought the Emperor reborn. But in this novel he gets to do something completely different that has no holding with that!" They tied together in such a way that the previous novels were all a sort of foreshadowing...[/i]

12/14/07

I think all of the NJO was extremelly well written. You cannot do away w/ the Yuuzhan Vong. They have become an integral past of the EU.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Thank you all for your input. I was thinking out loud and giving voice to a sinking feeling I had about the direction the SW universe was taking, but I see that it is probably a good direction. Perhaps the NJO/Vong will not be my favorite section of the saga, but I see now how it can fit into the larger SW continuum. I do enjoy the Clone Wars era (especially the comics), KOTOR era, and many of the post-ROTJ novels, so I am not an "EU-hater." Though perhaps there is a certain fondness for the "Old School" Star Wars from when I was a kid. Evaders99 was right in saying that each post era will have a new threat that will make the others insignificant, otherwise without suitable conflict there will be no truly interesting stories in which to see characters develop and make difficult personal choices. I guess everything is change in the end, so I might as well get use to the idea of the NJO/Vong era. I hope the new "Legacy" era of Darkhorse's comics with Cade Skywalker is as good as their creation of the KOTOR era.

I don't think I gave the NJO novels much of a chance, maybe I should try again.

Though I would have liked to have seen the Empire take on the Vong, which sounds like a great comic book "Infinities"-style story.

What are people's ideas about the directions the EU should take?

-The General

I don't think I gave the NJO novels much of a chance, maybe I should try again.

Though I would have liked to have seen the Empire take on the Vong, which sounds like a great comic book "Infinities"-style story.

-The General

Oh no, please, don't, have mercy! We've had over seven pages worth of this stuff with Defender's prodding of the topic! :lol: Sorry, some of the old(er) hands have seen this stuff rise and fall with new members and such. I believe it eventually was reduced to "pwned by teh D347h 574rz!" (Owned by the Death Stars)

12/14/07

Actually I was thinking of writing a short story scequence where dogfighting coralskippers and TIE's fly through the inner superstructure of a Death Star. :D ROFL.

The Vong as enemies are heavily dependant upon the author writing them. An Author with a good grasp of the whole thing can have the Vong cut their way through most any problem with time. The same can be said of the Empire though.

Congrats on the 500th post D16. Do share that story w/ us if you write it guy.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20030618

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20030621

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20031227

That is what happens if you keep saying "Guy"... Its just weird. Is it a Wisconsin thing?

12/14/07

*Spams for a change*

Wow. I finally reached 500 posts.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/MDG/MDG249/425014.jpg

I got a promotion!

(What does Ctrl+Alt+Del have to do with the Vong?)

My 'prodding of the vong topic' was so that I might get an acurate feel of what would happen in a long drawn out war with the Empire to better write stories set in it. Unfortunately it became difficult to try and predict any course to the war (other than the Empire totally pwning) so I gave up.

Vong Vs Empire would be a great 4 part comic mini-series in the "Infinities" vein. The Empire at its height would probably have made short work of the Vong and thus fit well into a comic mini-series. Darkhorse should consider it. Although there might not be a big enough market for it. Maybe an online comic or a fan comic? All in pure speculative fun--similar to the "What if?" military books.

-The General

I may have said this before, can't remember...the Empire would've lost the first few engagements, just like the NR. After that they would've kicked Vong a$$.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I hope the new "Legacy" era of Darkhorse's comics with Cade Skywalker is as good as their creation of the KOTOR era.

Who the f*** is Cade Skywalker ?

It means he asking the exact same question, without having to ask the exact same question. :wink:
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?