Veto the Vong?

General--Veers

*Spams for a change*

Wow. I finally reached 500 posts.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/MDG/MDG249/425014.jpg

I got a promotion!

(What does Ctrl+Alt+Del have to do with the Vong?)

CAD has nothing to do with the Vong. I just was commenting on how often Mitth said "Guy". And congrats on the promotion- only about three of those posts are spam... So pretty much you have the same amount of spam as I have quality posts :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I think he's got less spam than you do quality posts.

*Analyzes post*... I fail to find the derogatory comment in there. Is this actual kindness? From MITTH?!?

12/14/07

*Analyzes post*... I fail to find the derogatory comment in there. Is this actual kindness? From MITTH?!?

That's not how it was intended Tofu. It was meant as a smartass comment directed at contradicting what you said earlier:

So pretty much you have the same amount of spam as I have quality posts :lol:

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

And congrats on the promotion- only about three of those posts are spam... So pretty much you have the same amount of spam as I have quality posts :lol:

Only three were spam by my estimation. Thus you are giving me a minimum of four quality posts. :D

Oh, yes, and I am also curious as to who Cade is... Ben's son? Luke and Mara's second child? Luke and Leiah's long-lost older brother?

12/14/07

Read that again Tofu. I was saying you don't even have as many quality posts as D16 has spam posts.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Cade would probably have to be Bens son since it is apparently 100yrs after the events we know and love so dearly...since from the pics that we can see he looks like mid 20's so that kinda x's out a long lost brother and probably not another son of luke and mara....

you'll come to find i like to write with lots of "................"

- But it was so artfully done..,

:arrow: I don't know that any of you will agree ... but for SW to make a huge comback someone will have to retire (GL).

:arrow: LEC is in the process of changeing it self ... but I cannot forsee if the changes will be good or bad. A lot of people left the company so now is your chance to apply for a job ;)

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Cade would probably have to be Bens son since it is apparently 100yrs after the events we know and love so dearly...

Actually he ends up being Luke and Mara's great grandson. If you look at the forum they talk about it.

Edited by Mitth_raw_nuruodo

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Mitth wrote:

Actually he ends up being Luke and Mara's great grandson. If you look at the forum they talk about it

Yeah i just got around to actually reading the comments on the web site..... i was overtaken by the sweet artwork....

- But it was so artfully done..,

Not even sure if Cade is a decendant of Ben or not...

Personally, I think that the Empire would have won a war against the Vong, but not as easily as everybody else seems to think. They are too slow to adapt, unlike the NR. But they still would have won in the end... :)

I really liked the NJO series. The authors were very good, I like the new view of the force, and as previously mentioned, they really draw the galaxy together. In particular, I'd like to see some more books focusing on the Chiss. Legacy is sounding good, though I need to read the few books after NJO sometime soon here.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

• 6 months later...
I agree the books started great, and some like the thrawn trilogy, x-wing series, were good. Courthsip of Princess Leia, Darksaber, etc stretched it a bit, but were still good. i read one of these NJO/Vong books. utter garbage. the author basically just spliced SW guys into his own story. Books have to be at least somewhat adhering to tradition.

Rebel Scum!!!!

Admiral Ackbar should be served with french fries and a lemon wedge

Leia should be wearing that metal bikini in the Emperor's court

Mon Mothma should just be shot.  period.  uptight, annoying, PC traitor

Luke s

• SWR Staff - Executive

I have to disagree there. While individual authors may have their own style, each NJO books fit really well into established story arcs and continuity. There is a lot of retcon where other characters get their scene back into Star Wars. The earlier standalone books like Darksaber were utter trash compared to the editing and storyline planning done by Del Ray and the Lucas editorial board.

I recommend starting with Vector Prime, as it kicks things off, and move directly into Star by Star. One of the best of the series and focuses on the Jedi children now that they are adults.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 2 weeks later...
Though a little late, I don't think we should be able to simply vote out what we don't want. We can't do that in real-life history and we shouldn't be able to do that with Star Wars. Interestingly, though, it seems a group of people within the Star Wars community has decided they are displeased with the current canon and have begun a sort of "alternate universe" spin-off canon called Infinities. This takes Star Wars in directions that would have been interesting. I worry, though, because typically when a series of any sort goes into the "alternate universe" genre, it spells the downward fall. Then again, there was The Phantom Menace and then... :roll:

I've been looking at the series in general again and yeah, the NJO was kinda as ar as they should have gone.

If anything Lucasoft went too far with NJO now that I'm looking at it with more 20/20 Hindsight.

If NJO hadn't happened, I may not have gotten to plan some cool battles, but the Expanded universe would have been better for it. (Actually, Children of the Jedi, The New Rebellion, and Crystal Star didnt have to be written either. *Getting off topic.* )

The NJO got away with a lot of stuff because they revisited a lot of problems and enemies that hadn't completely gone away since they were written in the 90's. The Vong were thrown into the mix and while adding a measure of desperation to the whole series it really just complicated things.

I'm one of the most pro-NJO people arround (or was) and I've starting to see it more now as the beginning of the end for the book series in general.

The fact that Lucas started his own book company instead of continuing with Bantam was a sign of things to come. A fact I already noticed and didnt care for when I bought my first NJO book. He wanted absolute control so that he could screw with what he wanted more easily.

Swarm war, though well written by a good autor, is rather poor in general. The Author did what he could to salvage what he was given.

I haven't even touched Legacy and I don't think I'm going to now. I may be done with the 'official' Star Wars from now on.

-Prequels

-Special Eiditions

-Lucas Books

I'm hating where Star Wars has gone from what it once was. The day Lucas dies, is the day he can't mess it up for me anymore than he has.

8O *Whew* That was dark. I think need to go take an anti-depressant.

Your take on the NJO is interesting. Indeed, I think the NJO served to wrap up all the lose ends from the original EU (Bakura to Vision of the Future) along with setting the stage for the future. I actually think that the Legacy era is probably among the best things to come out of LucasFilm since the old-school Tales of the Jedi comics, but that's just me...

Additionally, I don't really understand why people hate Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight, Crystal Star, and the Black Fleet Crisis so much. I actually rather liked them. All of them, for that matter. But then, I can't stand Stackpole and, for most, the "standard" is apparently set by him...

Heh- we're minorities, here, SOCL. I love Stackpole, but hate Zahn. Everyone else apparently loves 'em both. :roll: Go figure :)
I'll agree. Zahn's books have gotten proportionally worse since Heir to the Empire. But, um, I do not like Stackpole.

• SWR Staff - Executive

I think some of favorites are still the X-wing books. Go Stackpole!

NJO was indeed about change. The universe isn't the same as in the movies, I admit the movie puriest have that point. But its not meant to be. Star Wars products can standalone and still maintain continuity within its own universe. I am really looking forward to Legacy and what happens. Without another set of movies, the future of SW is really with Legacy now. (Unless you consider the TV series, but I hear that's planned for post-ROTS and pre-ANH era anyway)

I think the Lucas editors have done an amazing job. Getting really great writers and connected storylines. Otherwise, it would read as every Star Trek book... dull and pointless :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Is the Legacy series worth reading?

I haven't started those books yet and I don't want to waste time if they are not worth reading.

The NJO books are good for the EU. The Empire could not have been the main protagonist forever. Eventually they would have had to realise they had lost. The NJO allows the Empire to stop being just the bad guy, without a giant space battle that completely destroy the Imperial Navy.

Disregarding all new evidence everywhere.

I must say. I think the first one was bearable. The second was ok... Do you see where im going with this? Their getting worse. I read the sample of temptest.

I can not f**king belive they brought back that motherf**king Twi'lek again!

The damn authors, Not Allston, but the other two, im my opinion have taken way to many libertys with their characters. :D

"The Chimaera is at your command, Admiral."

—Captain Gilad Pellaeon

Allston is one of my favorite authors in the EU. He seems to capture that perfect balance between humor and sincerity--take a look at his X-Wing Wraith Squadron novels.

As for the authors of the Legacy novels, I think they're a pretty good crew, but they each have their own seperate backgrounds. Of course, we know Allston and his SW background.

Traviss, though, comes from a completely non-Star Wars background and has, herself, admitted she takes no interest in any of the other Star Wars novels, taking no interest in reading them in preference to being "briefed" by LucasFilm about the overall plots. Traviss's writing, though, is very distinctly science fiction and, as she has stated, she writes Star Wars from a sci-fi perspective, not a fantasy one, which makes her writing quite different from the movies. Sci-fi in these terms is used in the older definition, that is to say, near-future/future technology perspective. Star Wars is distinctly fantasy in that it has nothing to do with our universe; it is only sci-fi because it incorporates what we consider to be "futuristic technology" (despite taking place a "long time ago").

Denning, for his part, is near polar opposite of Traviss. Whereas Traviss comes from a sci-fi/journalist background, Denning comes from a fantasy/novelist background, so his writing is bound to be vastly different from Traviss and even Allston. He, though, is an important figure at LucasFilm and for the EU in general since he has basically taken over the reigns of managing the EU following Stackpole's apparent "semi-retirement" from Star Wars; indeed, Stackpole has written very little since the Dark Tide duology in the early NJO.

Despite not being one of the Legacy authors, I'd also like to say something about Tim Zahn. Zahn comes from a sci-fi background, but his works are very closely related to the original Star Wars in that they use many, many, many elements of fantasy in the underlying themes and storylines. This is likely why he was chosen to write the first Star Wars novels, but for all his popularity is a rather sporadic member of the "EU author club" and mostly remains within his own little sub-universe of Star Wars, rarely going outside it. I think that the Hand of Thrawn duology was really the closest he got to exploring others' works, and that was only in using his friend, Stackpole's, characters and plots and then went on to criticize the other authors through conversations between Luke and Mara Jade. Following this, I think his status has got to his head--according to friends who have met him, he seems to be rather arrogant and thinks quite highly of himself and his plots and characters. In any event, I would say that he, like Lucas, was once good, but has grown progressively worse.

Well, those are my few cents.

I still claim that the Heir to the Empire trilogy was way too predictable, and that his writing style was tremendously chunky...

I have yet to read the legacy books, yet, but then, I still have yet to read the rest of the NJO books... Can't find Dark ****ing Journey anywhere but online... :x Damn you, limited library!

12/14/07

• SWR Staff - Executive
Dark Journey was just a weak attempt at Jaina flaunting the dark side... sorta pointless, just move on

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

I still claim that the Heir to the Empire trilogy was way too predictable, and that his writing style was tremendously chunky...

I have yet to read the legacy books, yet, but then, I still have yet to read the rest of the NJO books... Can't find Dark ****ing Journey anywhere but online... :x Damn you, limited library!

Just a heads up Tofu; two (well at least I think it's two) of the stories are e-books: Ylesia and ... can't remember the other. When you look at the timeline on the first few pages of the next book, they should be designated by an *. I checked Amazon, they have them to purchase, but according to the reviews ... just skip them. :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?