Difficult To Understand

HerrGeneral

After waiting what seemed a lifetime for Supremacy to arrive by post I start reading the manual. Now, maybe it's just me, but it comes across as clear as mud. I read about a third in and couldn’t take any more. You'd have thought they (lucasarts) would have made it a bit simpler to understand. Anyway, I decided that I’d play the game regardless and pick things up as I go. However, I can’t seem to do what it is I want i.e. build mines, platforms ect ect and I don't understand why? On top of everything else diplomacy doesn’t seem to work. I just have to leave him/her there until the planet is fully swung and even then you don't get a report back!! And as for space batlles.....I won't even go there!

Did anyone else have this much trouble when first starting?

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do remember that I hated reading the manual when I got the game. Let me know if this helps you at all.

EDIT: OK, scratch that idea. Go to http://www.gamefaqs.com then search for Star Wars Rebellion under the PC platform.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Supremecy? This is SW:Rebellion we're talking about, right? If not, then disregard my post...

I tried reading the manual. Gave up not long after I started.

For me, it worked much better to try playing an easy game, small galaxy. Do whatever you want, and when you can't figure something out, then look to the manual. It makes for a nice Q/A book, but not much of a tutorial.

To build mines or anything else, you need to have a planet with free energy available. There are several bars beneath each planet, one represents the free energy available. In addition, to build a mine there must also be free raw materials available, represented by a seperate bar beneath each planet. The manual has a picture identifying which is which. You can right-click on a construction yard, select destination, and click on another planet you control to build somewhere else, like a planet that does have available energy.

For diplomacy, you should select the character, send them on a mission to a planet, and after they've been there for awhile you should get a report back. Also, if they are doing a diplomacy mission and something besides them effects the planet in your favor (like another person doing diplomacy there), and this makes the planet like you to the maximum amount, then they will end their mission without reporting back to you.

Hopefully this helps... as for space battles, figure out the rest first and work on tactical combat after you've got things down. I know it took me awhile to really get tactical combat down, and since you can have the computer do it for you its easier to focus on one thing at a time.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Xan speaks much wisdom. I found that the best way to get better in this game was to just play it. If you get your ass handed to you then make certain you learn from your mistake. You will eventually get to the point where your biggest/most frequently occuring mistakes are not saving often enough.

Good luck and may the Force be with you. :)

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Master_Xan wrote:

Supremecy? This is SW:Rebellion we're talking about, right? ...

Star Wars Rebellion is the American title for the game, and Star Wars Supremacy is the UK title for the game. It is the same game, just different titles.

Most of the stuff in the manual is pretty basic, so some of the times you have to "experience" events to catch on to what they were trying to explain. And if you have specific questions about something, try the index. Of course that doesn't mean you'll find an answer or if you do, a satisfactory answer. That's what the forums are for :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I figured that it was a different name for the same one when Mitth posted a link for Rebellion info, but wasn't sure.

My biggest problem with the manual is that it tells you most everything you need to know, but its like reading a technical manual. Too much information delivered in a boring way; I found it easier to learn it myself than to read the manual and try and remember it all. However, once you get the hang of things, go back and read through the manual. You'll find lots of little tidbits of information you hadn't caught onto yet, but because you already know the basics you actually stand a chance at remembering them.

• SWR Staff - Executive

There are numerous strategy guides that help. Between those and the manual, you'll want some patience too. Rebellion is not an easy game to learn :)

I started with Prima's strategy guide myself.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

That's how I learned the game, read the strategy guides. They help alot. Be patient my young padawan, you will learn the game.
The force is strong in my family. No, Luke, I am your father.

Guest Scathane
I can tell you that it will be easier if you slow down the game speed when handling your own actions... It is located in the top left of your screen (for the Rebellion at least)...

I can tell you that it will be easier if you slow down the game speed when handling your own actions... It is located in the top left of your screen (for the Rebellion at least)...

Also, the hot key for this is holding down alt and pressing either the '+' or '-' key, which speeds up and slows down the game respectively.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

I tried to play the game, got myself screwed, read the manual, and found it increadibally helpful. I think I actually wrote a lamen's manual in a "Question from Newbies" topic called "Online manual"... i'd check that if you want a quicker, grammatically incorrect version :wink:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

After you get the basics down, check back here as I'll have a comprehensive faq/strategy guide going up soon... once you have some game experience under the belt, it will probably help with some tactics and fill you in on the lesser-known oddities.

(Speaking of which, when I get it finished is there any chance of having it uploaded into the download section? At the rate its going, it will certainly be large enough to deserve a spot...)

Just to keep you updated then. I now have a grasp on most things except Tactical Fleet combat. I'm just about to start reading through that part of the manual. I do however have just a few small questions to ask though:

1. When sending out a character on a Recruitment mission will they always find the same person on the same system again if you were to restart a new game?

2. Is it possible to 'move' a construction yard from one planet to another?

3. How do I get to kill/capture an enemy character that is on a shielded planet?

4. How do you know what characters are able to 'Research' certain areas of your forces? Do they also need to go to a specific planet? How long should one allow them to research for?

Thanx

Woo, I can answer all of those! Okay, I'll get them in order:

1) No, characters will recruit random people, and they can all be recruited from the same planet whether it be Coruscant, Hoth, Sluis Van, whatever the hell you want it to be, they will always recruit at random. You can not exhaust recruitment options until you run out of characters to recruit.

2)No, it is not. You can build them in one location, but you must have it so that as soon as they are finished they are sent to another planet. That's what the "Destination" button is for. Click on that, then click where you want a construction yard or whatever. :wink:

3)With decoys. Just select a kill/capture mission and send the character on down to start attacking. Though taking out the shields would probably be a better idea- then you can just bombard whatever troops are down there.

4) For starters, you could read their galactic encyclopedia entries... But let's face it- that's way too tedious. Thus if you right click on the character, select "Status" and scroll down to the bottom of the new window that shows up you will find a list that will essentially say

"Ship Design: Yes/No (One or the other will appear, never both)

Facility Design: Yes/No

Troop Training: Yes/No"

To embark on each of these missions the person must be on a planet which has the desired item of upgrade.

12/14/07

1.Can only certain characters 'recruit' certain people? For exmaple, can person X only recuit Trawn?

3. Is it possible to Capture/Kill on a system that supports the enemy? The only way to take out a shield is via sabotage though yes?

4. Now and then I get a report back saying that Troop Training is going well. How long do I keep them researching? What will eventually happen?

Cheers BTW

1. No, any major character can recruit everyone

2. Yes, as long as you know where the character is you can send a character to kill/capture them however the chances of failure are much higher on enemy planets. For shield generators you can either Sabotage them or bombard them with a large fleet.

3. Dont take them off researching, every once and a while they will unlock something, and when everything is researched they automatically take themselves off.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg

Guest Scathane
3. Dont take them off researching, every once and a while they will unlock something, and when everything is researched they automatically take themselves off.
Although the recurring notificatons can be a bit annoying... :(

Just to help you out, there are two characters capable of researching in each category (two for ships, two for troops, two for facilities) for each side. There is also one character who can research all three. I usually put this guy to researching ships, as there are more ships to research then the other categories so that area needs the most help. I'd suggest researching on planets you have well protected, as an enemy fleet that blockades the planet will interrupt the mission. Also note that each advancement happens in a certain order, every time. If you aren't researching an area with somebody, you will eventually get that advancement, but it takes much longer. Just keep researching, the advanced things are very important to get as soon as possible.

Recruitment missions succeed more often when done on a planet that fully supports you... so get the diplomacy done first, then recruit.

Killing/capturing characters can happen in these ways:

1) Send your characters on a mission to do so

2) Assault the planet where the enemy character is

3) Destroy the ship the enemy is on

4) Foil the mission said enemy was trying to perform on you.

If you have the forces, it is easiest to sabotage the shields and defensive batteries on a planet, do a military bombardment to destroy troops, and then assault the planet. Very few characters are capable of escaping from this situation (only those with very high combat ratings, like Vader, stand a good chance, though it is possible for everyone), so this is often the easiest. If you can't do that, then send several characters with high combat and espionage to do the job. Make one or two with the highest combat be team leaders (left side) and the rest be decoys (right side). If they can't get it done, try to sabotage troops on the planet first. You should almost NEVER send anyone to kill/capture someone if there is a fleet of any size orbiting the planet. Fleets, even only a few ships, are VERY GOOD at foiling missions, especially with Admirals.

To 'move' a construction yard, what you do is have construction yard "X" build construction yard "Y" at the desired location using the destination option. When the yard is completed (and I suggest you wait until it actually arrives as well) then you go back to X and scrap the facility. Takes awhile, but its possible.

Yeah, my post was a bit hard to understand on the last question... I was running out the door when I wrote it. :lol: Just felt that I needed to explain that... Are certain characters more likely to succeed in research missions? IE Bevil Lemisk over Thrawn in ship design?

12/14/07

Yes. Check out RebEd's entry on the research characters, there's a number assigned to each research category, designating their ability to research. Actually, if you wanted to you could make other characters capable of research, or alter the speeds that the existing guys do...

Or increase the number of characters capable of research... or decrease the research required by their stuff. Heck, while I'm mentioning ways to make things difficult, bump up their diplomats stats so they convert planets faster, maybe even add a few diplomats.