Grand Admiral Thrawn not following dress code?

Sinister

I was looking at some pictures of our favorite Grand Admiral (Thrawn) the other day and thought: All of the other Imperial Officers wear covers (caps, hats, etc.) with their uniforms. Even when they are indoors, or on the bridge of a Star Destroyer they wear covers. Yet, in all of the pictures of Thrawn I've seen, even the ones of him in comics, he never wears a cover, not even outdoors. It could be that it is not part of the Grand Admiral's uniform, or that simply they have enough power and authority that they can actually get away with not wearing one.

In any case, I was just curious if anyone else noticed this.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's something to do with his rank. I don't recall any other Grand Admirals wearing caps.

I don't recall any grand admirals in the movies, but that's just me... :)

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Actually, there is a Grand Admiral in Episode IV. He's in that scene on the Death Star where Darth Vader finds an Imperial Officer's lack of faith disturbing. In that scene, if you watch carefully, you will see that one of the officers is wearing the white uniform. The uniform only seems to lack the gold shoulder pads, but it would appear that he is a Grand Admiral.

Bevel Lemisk? :lol: Or whatever that guy's name is... Though you bring up an excellent point- Grand Moff Tarkin is above the rank of Grand Admiral (I think), and yet he wears a cover- same with Piett.... Very confusing- I'll write that one down as another thing to vehmently despise Zahn for...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Bevel Lemisk? :lol: Or whatever that guy's name is... Though you bring up an excellent point- Grand Moff Tarkin is above the rank of Grand Admiral (I think), and yet he wears a cover- same with Piett.... Very confusing- I'll write that one down as another thing to vehmently despise Zahn for...

Maybe it was proper etiquette to appear in formal imperial dress when in the presence of Lord Vader?

Vader exits stage left... boards lamda shuttle!

Admiral: "I thought Dark Helmet was never going to leave... now I can take this damn thing off."

Admiral tosses cover aside

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

• SWR Staff - Executive
It was actually an ISB agent - Colonel Wullf Yularen

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I think it's something to do with his rank. I don't recall any other Grand Admirals wearing caps.

Comics; also Zaarin in TIE Fighter. Maybe the NEGC has pics of more Grand Admirals as well.

See this is why I love you guys. Because someone can make a vague reference to a character seen in one of the movies, and you fellas can identify him. That makes my day.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

DarthTofu wrote:

... Grand Moff Tarkin is above the rank of Grand Admiral (I think), and yet he wears a cover ...

When? I don't recall ever seeing Tarkin (Peter Cushing) wearing a cover in ANH.

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I knew the guy was a Colonel, thanks to his card in the Star Wars CCG!!!

I do believe that Tarkin outranked Thrawn, but Tarkin never wore a hat (if that's what you mean by cover). Now my question is this: did Tarkin outrank Vader? Because you see Tarkin talk to Vader in such a way that no other Imperial without a deathwish would.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

Now my question is this: did Tarkin outrank Vader? Because you see Tarkin talk to Vader in such a way that no other Imperial without a deathwish would.

I've often wondered that myself. I talked with others about this, but have never really come to a solid conclusion. I've often thought that Tarkin was probably loyal to and served under Palpatine before Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. Therefore, Palpatine probably trusted many things to Tarkin, and also respected him. He obviously trusted him enough with the most powerful weapon in the Imperial millitary. So, even though Tarkin is not a Sith, he may have alot of favor with the Emperor. Because of this, Vader probably also respects Tarkin. Vader may also respect him simply because of his genius. For all we know, after Episode III, Vader may have been mentored by Tarkin. Perhaps he taught Vader strategies, and how to command fleets. As far as talking to Vader in a commanding tone, I think it may be because the Death Star is Tarkin's territory. He's in charge of it ultimately, by authority of the Empreror. As long as they are on the Death Star, Vader probably respects Tarkin's authority. If they were anywhere else it might be different. It should probably be noted that Tarkin also has respect for Vader, as he actually refers to him as "friend" in Episode IV.

I know alot of what I have said is just speculation, but I think some of it could be possible.

Tarkin is in a unique position of having both a military and political rank, giving him command over a sector as well as military forces. With regards to Grand Admirals, he would be subordinate to them. Grand Admiral is the highest rank attainable in the Navy. I have yet to find any official sources suggesting a Grand Marshal or equivalent in the Army, so it might be safe to assume that Grand Admiral is the highest rank period.

With regards to Vader, he didn't have an official poistion. He was the Emperor's apprentice, nothing more. So, Tarkin would have had sway over his movements assuming he was not acting at the behest of the Emperor.

As for the hats, I think once you hit a certain rank you get a few more options when it comes to dress code

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Just what i thought. Once you are a high enough rank why would you care about if you shoulod or not wear a hat.

Tarkin I guess would be about the same level as Xizor. He has such power that he is not obligied to comply to Vaders wishes unless those emanate from the Emperor.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Hmm, Tarkin outranks Grand Admiral, Tarkin get's blown up because he's too stupid to run, yet Thrawn manages to send the New Republic into total dissary... BTW, who are the other twelve Grand Admirals besides Thrawn? I know Palleon becomes one and that Zinj wears the uniform for the hell of it, but I have no clue who the other twelve are...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

In the Zahn books, Grand Moff Pelleon was under Grand Admiral Thrawn's authority.

PellAeon was a captain in the Thrawn Trilogy and a Grand Admiral in the Thrawn Dulogy. Which Zahn books were you thinking of? Pellaeon was never a GM that I can recall.

Edited by Mitth_raw_nuruodo

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Mith, don't have a hernia... Perhaps he made a small error in words???
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

As I understand it, Sinister is pretty correct. At 0 BBY :P Vader was the Emperor's apprentice and his "Hand", nothing more.

That all changed when Tarkin and his Death Star got blown into itty-bitty pieces. I'm think there's something about how Tarkin was a check on Vader to keep him from doing anything too rash, but I'm not sure.

Hmm, Tarkin outranks Grand Admiral, Tarkin get's blown up because he's too stupid to run, yet Thrawn manages to send the New Republic into total dissary...

Militarily Thrawn outranks Tarkin. However, if you're looking at it from a political point of view, Tarkin has mor authority. I can't think of any real-world examples. Tarkin and his fellow Grand Moffs join the military and government in one position. He would have authority over every person of a military rank lower than Grand Admiral. Search for the website by Dr. Saxton, it gives an accurate list of ranks (give or take).

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

BTW, who are the other twelve Grand Admirals besides Thrawn? I know Palleon becomes one and that Zinj wears the uniform for the hell of it, but I have no clue who the other twelve are...

Grand Admiral Martio Batch

Grand Admiral Nial Declann

Grand Admiral Grant

Grand Admiral Josef Grunger

Grand Admiral Ishin-Il-Raz

Grand Admiral Afsheen Makati

Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon

Grand Admiral Danetta Pitta

Grand Admiral Pecatti Syn

Grand Admiral Miltin Takel

Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

Grand Admiral Zaarin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Admiral_%28Star_Wars%29

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

BTW, who are the other twelve Grand Admirals besides Thrawn? I know Palleon becomes one and that Zinj wears the uniform for the hell of it, but I have no clue who the other twelve are...

Grand Admiral Martio Batch

Grand Admiral Nial Declann

Grand Admiral Grant

Grand Admiral Josef Grunger

Grand Admiral Ishin-Il-Raz

Grand Admiral Afsheen Makati

Grand Admiral Gilad Pellaeon

Grand Admiral Danetta Pitta

Grand Admiral Pecatti Syn

Grand Admiral Miltin Takel

Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik

Grand Admiral Thrawn