Grand Admiral Thrawn not following dress code?

Sinister

Yes, I was wrong. I thought Pell was a Moff. I guess I was thinking of the way he bullied Moff Disra, and assumed he couldn't do that unless he was of equal rank, but looking back, it was Pell's position as head of the Navy that gave him the authority to deal with the Moffs as an equal, but one who has a very big stick to back up his words.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was wrong. I thought Pell was a Moff. I guess I was thinking of the way he bullied Moff Disra, and assumed he couldn't do that unless he was of equal rank, but looking back, it was Pell's position as head of the Navy that gave him the authority to deal with the Moffs as an equal, but one who has a very big stick to back up his words.

Errrr, Pelleon was head of the Empire as a whole, not just the Imperial Navy. The Moffs were just sector controllers, and in the end, they answered to him, although he could not remove any of them from power. The Empire has been led by Admirals ever since Daala purged the warlords and took command.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

In the NJO series, Palleon became Grand Admiral, and leader of the Empire Remnant (as far as I understood, he never seemed to answer to anyone else). He is also the only GA from that time period I'm aware of.

Tarkin would hold a similar rank to, say, a governor. Its a political position giving him power over whatever territory he is assigned. However, Tarkin also held a military position (not possible in the US political system, so no real world examples come to mind). So in addition to his political power, he had military power. It made for quite the combination. As for his relationship to Vader, I always saw Tarkin as having the higher authority, as Vader has no official rank. Vader is more like the head of a secret service, with powers and authority unknown. As such, most lower ranking officers don't want to run the chance of stepping on his toes, whether they actually could do something or not, and when the Emperor puts Vader in charge of something, he has more power then even Tarkin. But Vader wasn't in charge, Tarkin was.

Edited by Master_Xan

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

In the NJO series, Palleon became Grand Admiral, and leader of the Empire Remnant (as far as I understood, he never seemed to answer to anyone else). He is also the only GA from that time period I'm aware of.

Pelleon was given control of the Empire after Daala resigned in Darksaber. If I am correct, the Moffs had lost control of the Empire long before this, probably when Thrawn showed up. If they didn;t lose power then, they most certainly did after the Dark Empire trilogy, and the warlords reigned supreme until Daala took over. Then Pelleon took over, until he retired after the Vong war ended.

Pelleon left retirement during the Garogg incident, when he took over command as the Supreme commander of all GFFA forces after the death of Admiral what's-his-namedue to a mid-air collision. I can only assume he retired again after the end of that crisis.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Dark nest trilogy, written by Troy Denning. Cover art by Cliff Neilson. Book titles are The Joiner KIng, The Unseen Queen, and The Swarm War.

If it weren't for the fact that you have to read them to know what will be happening n the next series, I would advise avoiding them at all cost. Worst trilogy of the EU, by far.

Dark nest trilogy, written by Troy Denning. Cover art by Cliff Neilson. Book titles are The Joiner KIng, The Unseen Queen, and The Swarm War.

If it weren't for the fact that you have to read them to know what will be happening n the next series, I would advise avoiding them at all cost. Worst trilogy of the EU, by far.

I think I saw those books in the store awhile back. Doesn't one of them have Luke on the cover using Force lightning? Was he just showing he could do it, or was he actually using it to fight? Now, now Luke, remember Master Yoda's teachings.

It's kinda funny how the EU and canon don't match up. Jedi are not supposed to know passion, love, etc. yet Mara and Luke are married. I know it cannot be helped, but its still funny. I thought they should have left the Emperor dead. IMO, bringing him back to life cheapened Vader's sacrifice in ROTJ.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

I actually think it makes more sense for jedi to be married. Really, its better to have it out in the open then have those who would hide it *cough* Anakin *cough*. And because the Force runs in families, it makes more sense for jedi to have kids.

I think I saw those books in the store awhile back. Doesn't one of them have Luke on the cover using Force lightning? Was he just showing he could do it, or was he actually using it to fight? Now, now Luke, remember Master Yoda's teachings.

You have to remember though that the Jedi of the NJO, and most importantly those that survived the YV war, now have a new/defferent view of the Force. Luke uses Force Lightning in the final battle w/ Shimrra on Yuuzhan'tar/Coruscant.

Now, as far as the Dark Nest Trilogy is concerned, I didn't think Joiner King was all that bad. When I bought that one the Barnes & Noble that I went to didn't have the other two. I'm kind of disappointed in myself. I've seriously fallen behind in my SW reading. I shall try to rectify that situation.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I thought they should have left the Emperor dead. IMO, bringing him back to life cheapened Vader's sacrifice in ROTJ.

I've said this before, and I will say it again. Dark Empire was a damned good trilogy.

Bringing back the Emperor didn't cheapen Vaders' sacrafice at all. Bringing back the Emperor was just a way of showing just how strong he actually was. Also, GL strengthens this in the prequal trilogy, when Phalpatine was talking to Anakin on how a Sith Lord had found a way to beat death.

Another great part about the Dark Empire trilogy was that it showed Luke growing immencely in his knowledge and power in the force. He comes to understand that the dark side cannot be beaten from the inside, an any attempt to do so will result in failure. I percieve this as a major stepping stone to the Jedis' understanding of the force in the NJO that there is no Dark side or Light side to the force, it all comes down to how a Jedi/Sith uses the Force. Hence the reason a Jedi (Luke for example) can use force lightning, and not fall to the darkside.

Granted, a few things in the Dark Empire trilogy went a little overboard, like the Galaxy Gun, but overall it was probably one of the best trilogies ever written for the EU.

Also, it as all done in watercolor, adding a +5 modifier to its' coolness.

Bringing back the Emperor was just a way of showing just how strong he actually was. Also, GL strengthens this in the prequal trilogy, when Phalpatine was talking to Anakin on how a Sith Lord had found a way to beat death.

I thought that was mostly just to get Anakin thinking about the Dark Side as being a viable way to save Padme's life (he was having those nasty dreams/visions, after all).

That is a quote worthy of awards. Hall of Fame!

Bringing back the Emperor was just a way of showing just how strong he actually was. Also, GL strengthens this in the prequal trilogy, when Phalpatine was talking to Anakin on how a Sith Lord had found a way to beat death.

I thought that was mostly just to get Anakin thinking about the Dark Side as being a viable way to save Padme's life (he was having those nasty dreams/visions, after all).

It was both, at least as far as I'm concerned. It may not have been GL's intent, but it did work out that way for me. (At least now that someone has gotten me to consider it in that light...)

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Mitth_raw_nuruodo wrote:

... Luke uses Force Lightning in the final battle w/ Shimrra on Yuuzhan'tar/Coruscant....

I don't remember that :? , but it's been sooo long since I read those books ...

I remember Luke fighting Shimrra, then Jacen and/or Jania bypassing the fight to get to Onimi. And I remember Luke using two lightsabers (the other was Anakin Solo's I believe) and decapitating Shimrra, I just don't remember the Force Lightning from Luke. Oh well, time to dig that book out and re-read that section again ... :wink:

Edited by DarthTex
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I remember Luke using two lightsabers (the other was Anakin Solo's I believe) and becapitating Shimrra, I just don't remember the Force Lightning from Luke.

Do you mean decapitating?

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

STANG!!! Tofu beat me to it. Jaina went ater Onimi. Shortly after that Jacen went after her.

One of Shimrra's bodyguards was goin after one of the twins, can't remember which one at the moment and that particular book got left at home when I came to college. Luke noticed this and in an effort to protect said twin unleashed Force Lightning at said bodyguard, sending him flying across the room and out of the fight, at least momentarily. It's been about a year since I read that particular book so I can't remember all of the details...

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Hmm, Tarkin outranks Grand Admiral, Tarkin get's blown up because he's too stupid to run, yet Thrawn manages to send the New Republic into total dissary...

Militarily Thrawn outranks Tarkin. However, if you're looking at it from a political point of view, Tarkin has mor authority. I can't think of any real-world examples. Tarkin and his fellow Grand Moffs join the military and government in one position. He would have authority over every person of a military rank lower than Grand Admiral.

Exactly, talking about wether a grand moff outranks a Grand Admiral doesn't make any sense. It's like asking whether an American Governer, outranks a four star general.

I've said this before, and I will say it again. Dark Empire was a damned good trilogy.

Bringing back the Emperor didn't cheapen Vaders' sacrafice at all. Bringing back the Emperor was just a way of showing just how strong he actually was. Also, GL strengthens this in the prequal trilogy, when Phalpatine was talking to Anakin on how a Sith Lord had found a way to beat death.

Another great part about the Dark Empire trilogy was that it showed Luke growing immencely in his knowledge and power in the force. He comes to understand that the dark side cannot be beaten from the inside, an any attempt to do so will result in failure. I percieve this as a major stepping stone to the Jedis' understanding of the force in the NJO that there is no Dark side or Light side to the force, it all comes down to how a Jedi/Sith uses the Force. Hence the reason a Jedi (Luke for example) can use force lightning, and not fall to the darkside.

Granted, a few things in the Dark Empire trilogy went a little overboard, like the Galaxy Gun, but overall it was probably one of the best trilogies ever written for the EU.

Sorry. Don't get me wrong, I liked Dark Empire. I even have some of the comics. I'm just partial to Vader taking the Emperor out after having been used and manipulated by him all of those years. I thought it was poetic justice.

That Eclipse SSD was awesome, and Luke looked cool as hell. He had certainly come along way from being a simple farm boy. And there was that part where the Emperor shattered Leia's lightsaber with the Force.

http://www.geocities.com/xenogears23/Jokersinsigmgs.jpg

"Life is hard. After all, it kills you." - Katharine Hepburn

As far as Vader and Tarkin are considered you learn a lot more about the beginning of their working relationship in the new book " Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader" by James Luceno. I have already read this book three times since I bought it- I preordered it. The first time I stayed up all night and finished it before six a.m. I highly recommend this book if you want to learn more about Lord Vader.-Grand Moff Conway