pics of the characters

Guest JediIgor

Guest JediIgor
It's very good job Smonica, but the pic isn't drawn with the color table used by the game. If you will convert it, huge, strange colored pixels will appear in the middle of his face, and so on.. How did the artists get so excellent pix in 256 color, using the same table? Just look at any of the minor characters face.

I think, all faces where made from photos, but how?? Why do they look so good in 256 format?

Where do you get this infamous color table?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I didn't take the color table into consideration for that example, the conversion to the table is easier than most realize. if you check the link again, I've included converted versions of both Dooku and Han. The Rebellion-sized pics were converted to the color table. As you can see, you do loose a bit of smoothness, but overall the transfer isn't bad at all.

http://smokingfrog.net/conversion.php

-Monsh

Hey guys... you need an artist? I can help (probably).

http://www.geocities.com/lt_cmdr_thrawn/oldluke.jpg

Check that out. It's an image of old Luke I made. I don't have any actual sketches to show you right now, but if you're interested, I could scan some.

Thing is, I may not be able to work real fast, as I have a paper due Monday, and I'm sure more work will be piled on. But I can do characetr drawings if you want. And ships too... but this thread is about characters.

"People say that we kick at the ties that bind because it's just a part of growing up.

I don't think that's why we kick at all.

I think we kick because we realize that our parents don't know much more about the world than we do - that they've been lying to us all along. That there is no Santa Claus."

:arrow: I could draw some characters too. I have finished an Art school, cause I will work as Graphic designer in the future. But I think we could stay by Monicas solution. Don't get me wrong Poodles your pic is sure good. We could also get things together! I think we should use photos, scan them, simplify them in photoshop, and make some artistical changes on the faces..

"changes on the faces" 8)

What do you say?

:arrow: What filters did you use Mon?

Looks like maybe... posterize?

"People say that we kick at the ties that bind because it's just a part of growing up.

I don't think that's why we kick at all.

I think we kick because we realize that our parents don't know much more about the world than we do - that they've been lying to us all along. That there is no Santa Claus."

Actually...I used the paint daubs filter to break up the photo-like look, then applied a smart blur (both values were variable depending on the original photo). After that, I used the blur, smudge, and airbrush tools until I was happy with the final product.

Monsh, your alterations look different from the classic Rebellion look. I like it. :) Though Han's lower lip looks a little odd.

Poodles:

Site seems to be down. Could you send me your pic?

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

Yeah, some of the features are a bit exagerated, but for the scale it works pretty good. My intent was not to mimic the original style of the pics, but rather to create something uniquely ours. This is also another good reason not to use the pics from the New Essential Guide to Characters, not to mention that all of the characters are not present in the book, and as such we'd have a difficult time trying to match the style of the other pics (my assumption).

As an example of what we could do for the characters that don't really have a photo to start with, I worked over a celebrity pic to create a potential image of Thrawn... Please don't start shooting me mail about this-or-that being wrong with the pic/graphic - It's just an example NOT a final image. btw... if any of you can guess who the pic started as (it is a celebrity) I'll give you a cookie 8)

-Monsh

Could be one of the Fiennes brothers, though I'm not so sure about the chin. (Was Joseph the Shakespeare in Love and Martha, meet Frank, Daniel and Lawrence guy?)

Anyway, I welcome the new style. We want something different from the old Rebellion; maybe a bit more realistic.

It's all hopeless but otherwise not very dramatic. - Helme Haffax

Englishman: "What do you think of Modern Civilization?"

Mahatma Gandhi: "That would be a good idea."

I like where we're going with this guys. We could all star as people in our own game. I'll be Joruus!!! ;)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Obviously Luuke would be quite easy...

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

And obviously Tony Blair as Mon Mothma!

TONY BLAIR!!!

No, if you listen to the way Mon Mothma spoke in ROTJ, she was clearly based on the only woman in the world who actually speaks like that, our Queen! 8O

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

I wouldn't retire the Queen, and my photo will be instantly recogniseable due to my extreme ugliness!

THE QUEEN? "Pop up menu- Retire"

Careful brother! Cus not the last woman on earth who speaks so. Some of us common grumps get all our elocution lessons watching the news whenever her majesty is on, opening some day centre or the like.

'I hereby name this new Death Star, the Death Star. May the Emperor bless all who serve upon her!' Queen and handbag release bottle of Wyvern's reserve.

Tarkin and Darth Vader step forward.

'It would be pointless me trying to Knight you chaps,' utters her majesty, 'with a light saber I couldn't guarantee not decapitating you!' Brakes out into a aristocratic, but completely demonic chuckle...

...sort of thing...etc....

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif