Ludo's House of Textures and Tweaks (Now Serving Rebellion!)

Ludo Kressh

Tech_Skin isn't the only file in question that needs modifying. In fact, I couldn't figure out which file contains the actual small button's borders.

Oh good, I thought I was missing something. It turns out I was, but company is most welcome. xD

Roger that! Don't worry too much about it then.

Very good!

Oh boy, this will be useful! Much thanks.

I would have thought you would have had it already; glad you can make good use of it! :D

Going to shoot this down right now as that means adding more assets to the game, and more rigging for me to do. The latter is unacceptable at this time; we're tight enough as it is.

A good point; no problem.

I've never actually seen the Wavecrest, but there's no canon model of it, no canon stats for it, and the TradeFed II is already rigged and functions perfectly for it's role. I don't see a need for the Wavecrest, not when the CIS roster is extremely well rounded and not lacking in any roles...Not sure how it's any worse than the Captor, or even the Lucrehulk, which is also a converted freighter. The CIS often converted trading vessels into combat ones, as they were numerous and easy to refit.

I admit, it's mostly a visual thing; a properly-skinned Wavecrest would look loads better than a TradeFed II. I suppose I remember playing Star Wars: Starfighter and raiding TradeFed convoys. Compared to the Captor and Lucrehulk variants, which had a potential combat role already in mind in protecting their cargo, the TradeFeds were never intended to be ships-of-the-line, and I don't think they were ever used as such. Perhaps as armed transports, but not as a front-line missile-oriented cruiser as we have ingame. It seems even as late as the eve of the Clone Wars, they were still dedicated freighters. After that, they seem to vanish, though I'd assume they excelled at troop transportation in lieu of landers or core ships as they could make planetfall quite easily and were decently-armored.

As far as the Wavecrest goes roster-wise, seeing that it was one of the ship models used in Operation Durge's Lance, which penetrated as deep into Republic space as Alderaan in 20 BBY, it's a significant ship with significant armament, likely a few turbolasers and ion cannon emplacements, and a few missile launchers, enough to pacify conquered areas along the Corellian Trade Spine even after the main force had advanced coreward. It, and other Givin-designed craft, seemed to zip through the asteroid-strewn route and kept it secure, at least until the offensive stalled and the Republic pushed back with the Outer Rim Sieges.

Personally, I say swap the models and icons and keep the stats and weapons complements, just for giggles and balance maintenance. It seriously looks like a CIS vessel, and a proper partner to the Recusant and Munificents as it was in OpDL, non-canon design notwithstanding. It's certainly unique! Besides, I believ the Geonosian SDN and several other model designs are also non-canon, and we seem to like it just fine. Just sayin'. :wink:

Though I know it's more work for you, I do hope you give it some thought! :D

Perhaps. In truth, I'm not too huge a fan of the current homing mine model, the vanilla one that is. Even the stationary model could use a replacement. That said, this looks like it could work well for the proximity mine. While an atmospheric mine, this one almost looks as if the top part is an engine, which could work for the homing mine.

Yes, the vanilla mine reminds me of a Sputnik-sort of satellite. I think I smell a crossover...commie Sith? :o

Anyway, I remember the mine from the first pic quite well; "Prisoners of the Maw" mission in Rogue Squadron II, just after Hoth. That model would look sweet. The latter is also quite nice as a homing mine, though the first was also a homing model. Either way, I like both ideas quite a bit. I do have a question: are the mine models 3D or particle-like 2D, because they do seem a bit flat when I zoom in on them.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the Wavecrest goes roster-wise, seeing that it was one of the ship models used in Operation Durge's Lance, which penetrated as deep into Republic space as Alderaan in 20 BBY, it's a significant ship with significant armament, likely a few turbolasers and ion cannon emplacements, and a few missile launchers, enough to pacify conquered areas along the Corellian Trade Spine even after the main force had advanced coreward. It, and other Givin-designed craft, seemed to zip through the asteroid-strewn route and kept it secure, at least until the offensive stalled and the Republic pushed back with the Outer Rim Sieges.

That sounds far too powerful to fit in the role that the TradeFed II is in.

Though I know it's more work for you, I do hope you give it some thought! :D

It would be months, if not years, away. As it would be so far down the priority list...

Anyway, I remember the mine from the first pic quite well; "Prisoners of the Maw" mission in Rogue Squadron II, just after Hoth. That model would look sweet. The latter is also quite nice as a homing mine, though the first was also a homing model. Either way, I like both ideas quite a bit. I do have a question: are the mine models 3D or particle-like 2D, because they do seem a bit flat when I zoom in on them.

If the RS2 mine is homing, that is even better. I wasn't sure if it was. As a result, it can be used for both roles.

Sins of a Galactic Empire staff.

Ah. I was under the impression you did not have THAT much yet to do...I thought the building of the mod was more or less complete and now is the time to tweak and refine, namely abilities and stat alterations. Huh.

Well, I laid it on a bit thick for the Wavecrest I think. It's a durable companion, group-oriented frigate with a punch that could be downgraded if needed to fit the roster, and it looks better than a retrofitted cargo barge with engines, IMO. :lol: Ah well; worth a shot.

I'll fire up RS2 tonight and play the mission; I'll confirm its homing capabilities if they're present.

Only ship stats are done. Ship rigging/UI art, and unique faction research trees, are far from completion. Also need to rehaul unit string descriptions, replace them with more generic, but informative, descriptions that outline their capabilities. Right now descs tell you jack about what a ship actually does.

I like the icons you made for the end game stats page. Could you by any chance make four more such icons, one with the Golan III (to represent star bases), one to represent scouts, one with the CR90 or Consular (to represent envoys), and one to represent colony ships? As if you can, this will complete the empire window's button set, and the entire UI in fact.

Will do, and please submit any further ideas you might have!

Also, do you think a SoGE music revisit would be welcome? I'm currently running an updated version I'm considering going through and optimizing specifically for the next release of the mod. My only fears are copyright concerns (especially seeing as it's Disney who now polices it all), as the tracks are .ogg conversions of CD tracks from my own library. If so, I will keep any new editions to myself and would gift to you, as a friend, free of charge for personal use ingame and nothing more (this is for documentation purposes).

Also, would you happen to have clean image renders of the ingame ships for use in the main HUD viewscreen (the ones with the faction symbol backgrounds of varying colors)? I'd like to go through them and get the symbol colors correct: light grey for the Empire; dark-ish blue for the CIS; scarlet red for the Republic; red/orange-red for the Rebellion and NR; dark green or purple for the Vong. Little touches add to the experience, after all.

I have confirmed firsthand that the mines from RS2 are indeed homing mines, and are particularly effective against BTL Y-wing starfighters. xD

An music improvements are indeed most welcome. I've gotten plenty of compliments over your excellent music collection over the years, and more recently, gotten praise from members of the STA3 team.

Vong I have, the other factions I unfortunately do not have clean for every single ship. Though these are not too difficult to get, so do have fun fixing these! Edit: Though, leave the Imps as being blue. Blue is a fairly Imperial color, and more importantly, putting a grey would be rather dull and would look uninspired.

Most excellent, thank you!

Ok, I'll begin work ASAP. I'm glad people are impressed with current one. I think it's an earlier iteration rather than the second-to-latest version I sent to you eons ago. Not my best work, but I am grateful. :)

That's too bad about the clean renders. Oh well. However, I dunno about the blue for the Imps. Their main colors were blood red, white, black, and dark to light grey it seems, not blue. CIS being the only blue (which is more of prussian blue) is much more appropriate. Still, I'll see if I can get another sort of blue going to make them different. IMO, leaving the Imps blue smacks of just as much laziness as making them grey, methinks. xD

Also (yes, I will beat the dead horse! *smack!*), here's a cool RPG entry on the Wavecrest that makes canonical sense:

http://rpggamer.org/page.php?page=3076

Here're the individual pics for the buttons you requested. I didn't know where to integrate them specifically, so I made them up individually so you can place them manually, assuming you know which ones as well. xD

http://speedy.sh/fpwXk/Buttons.rar

EDIT: Good news: Burntstrobe just replied to my PM. Here's the text:

I thought Warb gave Lavo my planets last year?

Warb took all my planets and corrected some issues with them. He had full permission to give them all to Lavo for use with the Sins mod. I thought he did, and have been wondering why you guys never used any?

Do you still need them? I have them all here and would surely give them to you guys.

As for textures, I am very busy with Yuuzhan Vong at War, we almost finished all our ship models. After that, I will then proceed to texturing. I have promised Lavo that I would return any EvilleJedi model that he gave me with my model edits and new textures.

These will be coming later this year, so keep an eye on our progress, and just tell me what you like (of evillejedi models)

All other models will be release for free after we complete our mod, for the authors want the first showing to be here before it is shared with others.

Tell Lavo to go on skype, and add me (burntstrobe), i will then send him all the planets in a file transfer.

Thanks,

Strobe

Leader of the Vong Project

So, that's it. He's more than willing to hook us up and fix-up some of our models. It's exceedingly generous of him. :)

You sure? I thought it was the latest. My bad.

As I mentioned, I can get clean renders, won't be too difficult I have clean renders for virtually all of the NR's stuff, and all of the Vong's stuff.

It's nice stats, it just doesn't fit into the TradeFed II's role, that's all.

The buttons actually go into Buttons_Screens_X, the place where you put the end-game stats buttons. Sizing is the same as well; they go under the TEC ships you see on the left side. Edit: So uh, what about the alpha channel? :V

Aye, Burnstrobe did give permission... What I need you to do, more than anything else, is simply figure which planet models/textures work for which type of SoGE planet.

You sure? I thought it was the latest. My bad.

Yeah, as I believe I heard the TIE Fighter battle music, which hasn't been used on my end for quite some time. I love TIE Fighter, but the 8-bit tooniness of it was a little out of place in a selection of fully-scored orchestral pieces (though I do have a remastered set I downloaded last night...perhaps they will weasel in somehow). That, and some pieces were not playing correctly or at all. Some simply loop, or the vanilla music would make an appearance.

BTW, what do you know of copyright and our use of the music? I'm just a little leerly about including a new set and then getting hit with a cease-and-desist order or worse from a trigger-happy Disney rep. That is, unless this is private and the current public set is what remains in the public release...I dunno, what are your thoughts?

As I mentioned, I can get clean renders, won't be too difficult I have clean renders for virtually all of the NR's stuff, and all of the Vong's stuff.

Oh, so you can get them! Then please do send them over. Here I was thinking I was going to have to take snapshots ingame and format them to kingdom come to make them servicable. Thanks! :D

It's nice stats, it just doesn't fit into the TradeFed II's role, that's all.

I see your point. Oh well. The Wavecrest shall live on! :v

The buttons actually go into Buttons_Screens_X, the place where you put the end-game stats buttons. Sizing is the same as well; they go under the TEC ships you see on the left side. Edit: So uh, what about the alpha channel? :V

Indeed, but I just didn't know which button pic was which. I thought I'd leave that to you, being better-acquainted with vanilla Sins (which I have to yet play) and which ships, buttons, etc were which. And they should be alpha-ed already; in Paint.NET, just paste them over the button set in a new layer, manually place and align them over the button you want to replace, delete the old button, and merge the layers before saving. I can see to it if you'd like.

Aye, Burnstrobe did give permission... What I need you to do, more than anything else, is simply figure which planet models/textures work for which type of SoGE planet.

Last week I went through the planets on showcase on his ModDB page and made a list. About the only thing missing was an ecumenopolis, which I then tried and failed to create before inquiring of him in my reply yesterday if he happened to have one on hand. Haven't heard back from him yet; when you contact him, could you ask him? :D

BTW, what do you know of copyright and our use of the music? I'm just a little leerly about including a new set and then getting hit with a cease-and-desist order or worse from a trigger-happy Disney rep. That is, unless this is private and the current public set is what remains in the public release...I dunno, what are your thoughts?

Even if we didn't include the music, we could be CTD'd at any moment for simply using SW models. Or for using voice overs from Galactic Battlegrounds, etc.

Oh, so you can get them! Then please do send them over. Here I was thinking I was going to have to take snapshots ingame and format them to kingdom come to make them servicable. Thanks! :D

That's exactly what I do actually... That being said, if you can open PSD files, the PSDs of the unit HUD pictures have all the ship renders as not being part of the "main" skin, if applicable.

Indeed, but I just didn't know which button pic was which. I thought I'd leave that to you, being better-acquainted with vanilla Sins (which I have to yet play) and which ships, buttons, etc were which.

Right. I slapped them in; not hard to do.

And they should be alpha-ed already; in Paint.NET, just paste them over the button set in a new layer, manually place and align them over the button you want to replace, delete the old button, and merge the layers before saving. I can see to it if you'd like.

A white box seems to work fine for these. That being said, PNGs don't save alpha channel info, but it's fine anyways.

Last week I went through the planets on showcase on his ModDB page and made a list. About the only thing missing was an ecumenopolis, which I then tried and failed to create before inquiring of him in my reply yesterday if he happened to have one on hand. Haven't heard back from him yet; when you contact him, could you ask him? :D

Well we don't have to replace all the planets in SoGE, though the Ecumen, of all planets, is the one that could use a replacement. Will ask however.

Well we don't have to replace all the planets in SoGE, though the Ecumen, of all planets, is the one that could use a replacement. Will ask however.

Well, most need a switching. The standard terran planet, for example, is just a sliver of land in a huge sea. Generally speaking, that'd be more of an oceanic planet like Dac than a terran one. Just sayin'. There are plenty of decent ones though.

Here's the list I came up with based on the ModDb planet screens (though if you can get more, do so):

Ingame planet type.......Burnstrobe planet texture

Agriworld......Ruan

Ecumenopolis......"SinsPlus" "Urban"(?)

Oceanic......"Ingame"

Temperate......Agamar

Temperate forest......Obroa-Skai

Tropical jungle......Ord Biniir

Tropical oceanic......Ruuria

Barren......Brentaal IV

Desert......Bonadan/Ingame

Arid......Dubrillion

Crystal......Iego

Urban......Belderone

"Junkyard"......Yag'Dhul

Volcanic......Riflor

Acid......N'zoth

Industrial......Eriadu

"Shipyard"......Fondor

"Tundra"/"Arctic"......Sernpidal

"Mountainous"......Bastion

Toxic......Duro

Ice......Arkania

Swamp......Nal Hutta

I do have a question about some of the types, though: wouldn't planets with economic or cultural features like a shipyard or academies, or climatic ones such as an acidic atmosphere, be a randomly-generated planet bonus than a bonifide planet type? It might cut down file bulk a tad while spreading the characteristics over a wider range of planet types, making it a tad more realistic. Heck, what did happen to those planet characteristics? They were pretty nifty! xD

That's exactly what I do actually... That being said, if you can open PSD files, the PSDs of the unit HUD pictures have all the ship renders as not being part of the "main" skin, if applicable.

Likewise, but if it could save me some work, I'm game. Still, I'll just go through the .dds files and make them workable. EDIT: 6 factions with 15-20 ships a pop isn't so bad.

Even if we didn't include the music, we could be CTD'd at any moment for simply using SW models. Or for using voice overs from Galactic Battlegrounds, etc.

True enough. May as well run with it, then, while we can. :\

I do agree most need a switching, not contesting this. What you call the Junkyard is actually a representation of a decaying Ecumen; I forget which SW planet Nova said they represent. It's basically an Ecumen that costs more to upgrade. Sins Plus' textures are rather terrible for the most part, lower quality than what we have now.

They could work as planet characteristics, in some instances, but not all. Though population bonuses are too random for those to work effectively, and as a result are harder to balance. Planet bonuses were thrown out the window, and replaced with planet characteristics, as there are far too many planets to put planet bonus in for, and it would be even harder to balance them. Additionally, planet bonuses were used as a substitute for planet variety, which is something SoGE has plenty of.

That being said, things such as Shipyard and Academy planets, and their variants, are very much their own planet type, and not a "bonus" sort of thing, representing planets such as Sluis Van, Fondor, and Cardia. On top of that, their ship build speed feature cannot be made as a planet bonus; it can only work as an ability.

Likewise, but if it could save me some work, I'm game. Still, I'll just go through the .dds files and make them workable. EDIT: 6 factions with 15-20 ships a pop isn't so bad.

You really should open the PSD instead. Using the DDS won't work well... Alternatively you can just make the new faction background and send it to me to slap into the PSD and put up the fixed file.

Edit: Ah yes, the "Junkyard" planet represents planets such as Nar Shaddaa.

I'm using the DDS as I speak and it's looking rather nice. Unfortunately, Paint.NET won't open the PSD, so I can only view it via Quicktime. I'm getting on well enough despite it. Do send the NR and Vong renders when you can.

The SinsPlus option was there in lieu of not finding a suitable replacement for the current texture. I don't prefer it either, but there's little available up to snuff or free for use.

I see your point about the planets. I had understood the Urban type to represent the most decaying ecumens and those in between, like Nar Shaddaa or Taris. The "Rusty" type looks like a Raxus Prime TBH, and not a Nar Shaddaa, and there were several of those sorts. The shipyard and academy planets just feel like doubling up with the various subtypes, especially knowing how much of a lag they are on RAM. Yes, the planets were notable for their insitutions, but when you set them up against an oceanic or arboreal world, the syntax of "academy planet" implies the planet itself is an academy with academy features and terrain rather than a "X"-type planet with a famous academy on it, you see. But, you're the designer here, however; it's as you want it, and if the mechanic prevent it, then so be it. Still, I'd rather see "acid/caustic rain"/"acidic/caustic atmosphere" than "acid planet".

What about some of the more specialized terrestrials with features like "pangea"? Is variety the main focus there? Again, if some planets types are not totally necessary, I recommend nixing them and making their feature, at most, a planet bonus, to eliminate some file bloat.

Really I'd much prefer you make the faction backgrounds and send them to me; it wouldn't be hard for me to slap them into the faction file proper. Also, are you planning to make a different background for the NR and Alliance, or are you leaving them both with the same one? Asking mainly as the former will mean some more work on my end.

Individual planets aren't that bad a resource hog... In truth, I'm not entirely certain planets are the biggest source of SoGE's RAM use. I noticed that, in a few tests I ran, that nixing the DA texture of planets seemed to have little effect on RAM use, which seems odd seeing as how that was a drastic reduction in terms of pure space. What I do know however, is that certain features of EJ's models, all the little notches he's put in, absolutely kill Sins. It may very well be that our high RAM use is entirely due to those unnecessary details.

In truth, I'm not the main designer of planets; that would be Nova. I personally prefer having variety in planets over variety in planet bonuses, and besides that, the thought of having to put planet bonuses in the various planet entities is a slightly terrifying thought. Shipyards however cannot be replicated as a planet bonus; it's just not possible. Academy planets I can see their rather... Uselessness, shall we say. Only real point in favor of keeping them is that they are balanced well. I can second your thought about Acid planets; I can't say I know what exactly those represent.

Variety and balance are the main focuses I'd say. As it is, planets are arguably fairly well balanced, and I'm weary of doing drastic changes to the planet setup for that very reason.

I am happy to report the successful modification of the CIS unit pics: http://speedy.sh/3ThKu/Unit-Picture-CIS.rar

As to the Alliance and NR: the former will remain, while the latter will be changed; the logo is just too different, and even a different color (blue as well, I think, with white stars). Though the color may not change, the logo will, and will differentiate itself from the Rebels.

I can imagine the pain of going through and making planet bonuses on just a large scale. I understand you completely. We can revist the issue of planets at a later date then. However, nixing acid planets is something to consider. I suppose Vjun is the inspiration there, though it's a sorta-barren temperate world with acid rains rather than a completely caustic atmosphere and the like. Plus, I can look into planet coding, and lend a hand or do it myself if need be. I like this project too much to let something like that phase me. :)

Interesting how the details of the ships may be the main culprit in the RAM usage and not the planets. Oh well. The models are too nice to jettison. xD

I've integrated your new unit picture into the CIS' unit pictures. Not all of them has the background yet, as that DDS has had a reduction in quality for several of the models; I will be getting clean renders for them over time.

Reason I asked is due to the fact that a bunch of NR units are actually Alliance units (mainly structures). Though it is true, the NR did have it's own logo, guess I just have to face the music! :D

I'd like to handle changes to planets, if they are to be done, which I am still extremely hesitant to do. For acid planets, I'd prefer to do a name/mesh swap out, rather than redoing it's stats. If this swap is going to occur, I would have absolutely no opposition to virtually anything you have in mind.

Oh, I'm not saying to jettison. Look at the VSD-II and ISD-I, and how they have been modified. Or better, look at the ISD-I versus the ISD-II. From afar they look the same, it's only if you really zoom in that you see a big difference, and even they still have the details in the texture itself, they just aren't sticking out as before.

Dang. I'll look at it again. Perhaps I was careless in the compiling. I know that several were being unused, so I ignored them. I'll review them again. I did add a glow to them to help offset the jagged pixels of the cut-out renders, so perhaps that's what you're talking about. I know the vulture droid was a pain, though...

Any and all planet stuff is all you, bro. I gladly submit to your expertise in all things planetoid and asteroid. xD

And don't get me wrong, I love the models, and the new fixes. I was just saying, the RAM issues are something we must live with given how awesome the culprits are.

Don't worry about it; I've been planning to do better renders at some point anyways.

Agreed on the models bit, just I think that might be the source of our RAM woes.

Also, can you make a new icon for Flagship Victory, using the Allegiance or MC80B as the ship? It would replace the KOL Battleship icons in Buttons_Screens2_Normal.dds which are just to the left of the Executor.

BTW, what happened to Warb? I miss him! xD

Nice to know i'm missed. lol. At the end of the year real life always seems to take over, reducing modding time to near zero. Looks like i missed a lot of great stuff here too.

I read through the posts and here is my small contribution.

The mines. http://lilfile.com/pHMVhw These are the two mines you posted plus a third one from "starfighter" (proximity mine) I made them as low poly as possible with a very small texture.

The Planets. Burntstrobe gave permission a while ago to use his textures and i made bunch myself since then. http://lilfile.com/OYZI9Q Take what you need. There is even a urban planet and some nice terran planets.

That's it for now.

WHOA. Welcome back, Warb! We did indeed miss you and your awesome work. I do hope all is well on your end. RL can be a burden more often than not, especially when there's REAL work to be done here. :lol:

Thanks for the planet textures and the models; I will check them out post-haste.

Again, bro, welcome back. :)

EDIT: The planets.rar file seems to be corrupted somehow: "...unknown format or damaged...". Just to let you know. :)

EDIT: Here are the flagship victory icons you requested, Lavo, as well as some new Unit_Main icons for the mines: http://speedy.sh/qM9r2/Mines-and-Stuff.rar

Glad to have you back Warb, thanks a bunch for the mines! I'll use the Jedi Starfighter mine for the stationary mine, and the RS one as the homing one.

For those planets, I assume you made a set of DA maps for 'em? Burntstrobe sent me his textures earlier today, and they look amazing. The few I've tested so far also work perfectly with the planet meshes we already have in place; they're just missing the dark side. That said, unfortunately the upload seems to be corrupt, or the site is borked, as it keeps downloading a 0 kb file, instead of the real rar.

Ludo, those icons are much appreciated! With the flagship bit in, we've now tossed out everything from the vanilla Sins UI that truly did not fit in with Star Wars.

What a cool feeling to achieve that. We've come a long way since SoGE 1.0, even 2.0 that's for sure. Kudos to ya for all your hard work! :)

Still working on the HUD unit pics; about 65% done with the Republic. You were right about the renders being in need of do-over. Some, like the Mandator, and so featureless that they have no definition when selected or even darkened and sharpened. The end result is a jagged, pixelated cut-out which makes me cringe. I am sorry I can't do more with them. :\

Speaking of the Mandator: I noticed it is still effectively textureless - any plans to address that, especially since supercaps are the emphasis with Rebellion now?

Oh yes, it's been a long, long road since 2.0. The release of Rebellion let me do a bunch of things that simply would not work well before, namely the capital conversion project and supercap system.

For the HUD, I beg you to just give me the faction background and let me slap it in myself. I would both prefer that, and it would be quicker to do, in particular for the ships I have clean renders of.

I'd enjoy addressing that at some point, but you must understand that's entirely out of my hands. Models/skins isn't my forte at all, however, the Yuuzhan Vong at War team has a really great rework of the Mandator going on. They will texture it properly, at some point, and they will let us use whatever edits they do.