OFFICIAL: Gameplay Questions

Bioshadow

Join the club >:(

Frankly I think the best short-term solution to this matter would be to implement a "SCUTTLE" order, as those of us who were going for a swarm strategy are stuck and helpless.

In my case (I had one AFRG and 150 TD), even if I had the time to refuel them, it'd still take 50 turns!

Now that warheads are working, fighters are taking a back seat to bombers - and bombers have a limited payload which affects them far more than the fuel limit anyway. So I'm unsure it's at all necessary to use such a harsh fuel limit.

Perhaps it could wait until there's more automation and we don't have to manually check each fighter and send them to refuel? Having a Space Station / Factory at each of our home sectors, where we can resupply our small craft, would also help immensely.

BTW, it would also be helpful to add "tractor beams" to capital ships so they can bring in nearby craft that are out of fuel (I have no idea how tolerant the DOCK order is right now). A range of a few hundred meters should be more than enough.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- remember, out of fuel fighters can still JUMP, so... JUMP them right on top of your cap ship.  I dont understand all the consternation...

And it seems like no one noticed that I put in FUEL break levels that automatically will break you out of your orders

And it seems no one noticed i put in a REFUEL order (and a REPAIR order) that will keep your ship onboard until it completes what you want it to complete.

So, really, I have completely automated a launch/attack/return/refuel sortie.  Does anyone notice this?

The fuel usage may be harsh but I think there is ample way around it now, dont you think?

I don't particularly like the fuel thing. It just seems too harsh in many cases (especially since it burns so fast), especially when you don't have a lot of spare time. It overly complicates fights and causes problems where you'd have ships left behind who can't jump when their carrier dies and if noone kills them, there isn't much that can be done. Also it requires you to micro your fleets. While possible at this stage, later in the game when we have (hopefully :) ) far larger fleets to our disposal, it'll become very tedious.

A better system would be one where you are limited by the resources you have. I.e. you can only have XX number of fighters based on the cap ships you got. (see Kob's post about a suggested way of having this)

Edited by Deathwatch

I appear to have lost a NFRG and a VULTRE. Both show up as being ordered in my report, and my remaining cash is what it should be, but both craft are missing from the map.

do a database refresh, (delete your U#.ini file and your U# directory), then login and see if it pops up.  if it doesnt it was a DB write error and I'll have to reset those ships.

Something I was able to reproduce - make a fleet inside another fleet and then move that fleet as an independant fleet will make this fleet hidden in your UI until you refresh your DB/have a turn switch.

Ok so I give some docked a-wings some orders, then send my entire fleet into a jump. But to my irritation the a-wings undock and jump seperately. Except now that the rest of the fleet has jumped the a-wings have somehow managed to re-dock with the ship they left in the first place. Whilst in hyperspace.

Ok so I give some docked a-wings some orders, then send my entire fleet into a jump. But to my irritation the a-wings undock and jump seperately. Except now that the rest of the fleet has jumped the a-wings have somehow managed to re-dock with the ship they left in the first place. Whilst in hyperspace.

lol, i love how you have described it.  Will take a look.  Thanks.

Hey, I've been looking around on how to join GalSim but I can't seem to find a way to sign up and get a username and pass. Can someone direct me to the links or the process I have to go through?

Hey, I've been looking around on how to join GalSim but I can't seem to find a way to sign up and get a username and pass. Can someone direct me to the links or the process I have to go through?

just email me at markb50k at gmail dot com

The various break launch levels in the docked CSP order, do they mean launch provided these levels are reached or dock when they are reached? If it's the latter do you then need to set up some break orders to get your small craft to repair and rearm mid fight?

the launch levels mean that the fighters must be at those levels or higher in order to LAUNCH after docking.

so the break levels tell them to land, the launch levels tell them to launch.  hope you understand.

ATM I have 12 XJWINGS (3 Wings of 4) onboard a CLFG that are fueled up and armed.  I am giving them a move order and they are not moving.  The order shows:

0 - Move

to a coordinate in Sector XXXXX,XXXXX

which is approximately 1504 m away

Speed: N/A

1. Is this whats causing them not to be launched?  I have even cleared all orders, so they just have a move.

2. Do I give each sub-fleet and order or do I give the parent FLT the order? (I have a FLT broken down into subfleets)

I found out that subfleets will dock, but they wont launch.  I had to make them all independent fleets for it to work.  Also, (just for laughs I will tell you this) I kept on trying to launch my LDR craft and for hours it would not launch.  I forgot to tell it to refuel.... oops!.

I've assigned a prowler to a fleet and then told it perform multiple jumps. Unfortunately it seems that the fleet object is able to jump before the prowler is ready, which then leaves the prowler attempting to rejoin the fleet on sublight.

Idle Scholar:

the fleet object will pretty much always move before the ships in it, but the real question is why is the prowler moving at sublight speeds to catch up.  My only question is what is the length of these jumps?  I have a minimum jump distance so people arent doing mini jumps that are really small.  it is set at 50km.  Are the legs of the jumps shorter than that?  If so, the ship will move at sublight.  if it is longer, let me know so I can look at the code.

It is longer than 50k. Interestingly my prowler did jump to 50100, 50100, but then it went a bit wrong and now it's run out of fuel. I have made new fleets and transferred it twice but that doesn't seem to have helped.

i think i figured your problem out.

your fleet should jump ahead and STAY in JUMP status, that will then make the ship jump to keep up.

the old code was jumping the fleet icon then putting it in IDLE status which would bring the ship out of JUMP mode.

I am now looking at Fury's problem with stuff not launching.