What are your favorite strategy games besides Rebellion?

igorimp

I'm interested in your thoughts here. I love older turn-based strategies (disliking RTS because I have poor reflexses :lol:) and would always welcome a good suggestion. :wink:

Here's my list (Rebellion, naturally is a must-have):

Warhammer: Dark Omen

Master of Magic

Panzer General

Share your favorites. 8)

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

There is only one EMPEROR'S GRAND PLAN.

By the way, the Emperor's not dead... he's just resting...

Besides wondering how you can dislike real time strategy but name Rebellion and Dark Omen as your first picks here´s what I´d really like to know: Did you manage to win the final battle in Dark Omen? If so I´d like to compare strategy with you. Didn´t that game have an internet play option !? I´d go back to that game in a heartbeat!

Also (like I said elsewhere already) my pick for best strategy game ever (ok, since 1953):

Diplomacy

(boardgame played by email, not PC version)

Here goes nothing! - Lando

So, a fellow Dark Omen fan.

Dark Omen is an exception to RTS because their is no rapid building & research involved (i.e. I have no fear of still researching the Spearman while the enemy attacks me with Space Battle Crusiers). As for Rebellion, at least you can SLOW IT DOWN!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I've passed the entire Dark Omen, and the last mission was probbably the wackiest thing I ever did. The Mummies that come out of the Pyramids always caused me the greatest damage, but I've managed (after some 50+ attempts) to kill the Dread King and then avoid melees until I could bring the power to equal.

How I killed the Dread King, you wonder?

I ran over him... Really, I've kind off happend to have enough luck to lure him towards my main line and then moved the Steam Tank forward and happened to smash him before him ran away. Needless to say, the ending animation was rather funny to see, as the Dread King just died when he should have been a pancake by then... :lol::lol::lol:

How's that for strategy?

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

• SWR Staff - Executive

I love a good RTS. Tests your strategy under a controlled-time environment... always a lot of thought involved as you know the enemy could be coming for you at any moment.

I love the classics:

Starcraft - Protoss: Power Overwhelming!

Homeworld - ships, space... awesome graphics and storyline. Plus the Star Wars mod makes it all the better.

Age of Empires: the whole series is amazing. Granted, Age of Mythology didn't fill me that much, its still a fun game.

Warcraft: ditto the AOE series. I love it.. great improvements to storyline, though I hate playing WC3 multiplayer. Its all "rush-rush" and no strategy anymore.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

ok heres my list

Rebellion

Age of Empires

Total Annihilation

Max2

Force Commander

Command & Conquer

and i think thats about it...actually come to think of it, these are just about all the RTS games i own 8O

Darth_Ramoth

Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the dark side will be complete

How's that for strategy?

Well, anything that floats your boat, right ? Although I had rather expected something along the line of: built up my fire mage throughout the game and used him to blast the mummies and didn´t move anything in the final battle until the cannons had obliterated *everything* in range (takes some 30 minutes, enemy doesn´t attack unless you move).

Anyway that´s what I did. Congrats anyway for winning a very difficult battle. :D

Here goes nothing! - Lando

In fact, I've lost the Mage in the battle against that Vampire Carstein. But, to agree with you: first heavy bombardment and then my post-artilary strategy was mostly "move 'em in... move 'em out". Also known as hit-and-fade (with the emphasis on fade...) :lol:

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

Which reminds me of forgeting a few important games in my first post:

Master of Orion series (I really liked the first more, I think the Duce lacks the same kind of athmosphere from no. 1), I hoping to get my hands on no.3 soon (PS. if you liked it, try Master of Magic);

Heroes of Might and Magic serial (the III was brilliant, but I hated the IV, for the same reason as Orion 2, lack of athmosphere and ruining all the good elements of the last part);

Civilization series... Need I say more?

There is only one life;

There is only one truth;

• 2 weeks later...

well the usual strategy games

Command And Conquer (I've got htem all)

Star wars galactic battlegrounds (Clone Campaigns)

Force COmmander

I find your lack of faith disturbing - Darth Vader-

Wipe them out, all of them - darth Sidious -

It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice - scooter-

If you see the flash, but don't hear the bang, you're dead-Drill Sergeant-

Check my Forum india.messageboard.nl/4095

Most posts are dutch but english is allowed

• 1 month later...

I only have a few strategy games I'm rotating with atm, all of those real-time types. In no particular order in this rotation: Star Trek Armada II, Master of Orion III (I haven't really gone back to it post-patch yet), Rebellion & Force Commander.

Of the non-real-time types or turn based, the original X-COM from '94 is still one of my all time favorites, though unfortunately I need to downgrade to a proper PC to play it. I think one of the Playstation systems came up with a console version of it, I may have to break down and get one. Its a shame when the only reason I can think of to get a console is for one game I'm very nostalgic for. :)

That whole first year I had it, I must have only switched between that game and the original X-Wing flight sim. Possibly the first Master of Orion game if it came out in that time frame as well, but as I remember, '94-'95 was pretty much dominated by X-COM. Killed many an hour with that one.

I'd really love to see an up to date version of the original X-COM, but for current PC standards. Preferably turn based again since I sucked at its successor X-COM Apocolypse (though that one gave us a choice which was nice of them, it had a turn based option as well as a real time option). I'd be happy either way.

AoE Series

GB Series

AvP Extinction

Are all good fun. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• 1 month later...

I'm a tad late...oh well.

Age of Empires
    Age of Empires - Rise of Rome Expansion
    Age of Empires: Age of Kings
    Age of Empires: Age of Kings - The Conquerors Expansion
    Praetorians
    Total Annihilation

I would have listed STAR WARS: Galactic Battlegrounds, but I was a tad disappointed with that particular game (especially since I spent more than $50.00 on the damned game at the time of its release!).

I was a bit disappointed as well, but it was a fun game. I'm still hoping for someone to make a Yuuzhan Vong mod to replace the Gungan with....

The AoE series, they are great, I remember when we (some friends, a teacher and I) would play it in school in the afternoon. BTW, have you played Age of Mythology, SOCL?

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I was a bit disappointed as well, but it was a fun game. I'm still hoping for someone to make a Yuuzhan Vong mod to replace the Gungan with....
That would make it a whole lot more fun, I must say.

The AoE series, they are great, I remember when we (some friends, a teacher and I) would play it in school in the afternoon.
The whole series keeps a pretty accurate commentary on history (the history given for one to read during the campaigns, at least).

BTW, have you played Age of Mythology, SOCL?
No, I can't say that I have, but I've heard it's quite good.

T minus 15 posts and counting....

I have no other preference for a RTS game over Rebellion. Call me an obsessive, star wars freak (and I'll nod my head) but I have little interest in the other games. Star Wars was the greatest sci-fi story in my opinion, with the exception of John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burrows (I wish they'd do a movie of that or have they??). He wrote the original Tarzan books too. Haven't read about Carson of Venus, but would like too. These books are ancient, more than 50 years old I think and not in print anymore.
"You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master." - Vader

Here is my two ha'penny's worth:-

CivI, II & III

Railroad Tycoon II

Talonsofts Battle of Britain

Imperialism II

Hearts of Iron

Europa Universalis II

Uncommon Valour

Silent Hunter II

Panzer General II

But at the top of the list by ALONG way is Supremacy ( Rebellion in the rest of the world!! )

I also played World in Flames in my youth ( no jokes SOCL 8) ), but now stick mostly to computer moderated games.

Edited by Imperator

You have failed me for the last time

What is Life? Life is the Nation. The Individual must die anyway. Beyond the Life of the Individual is the Nation.

It a long list but I will keep it to let's say a top 10.

1. Ofcorse is Rebellion.

2. ST: Armada II

3. Homeworld 1, haven't played two.

4. C&C Generals

5. C&C Red Alert 2

6. ST: Starfleet Command III

7. Haegemonia

8. Conquest America

9. Stronghold

10. Cossacks

R2D2 Where are You.

I also played World in Flames in my youth ( no jokes SOCL 8) )
What?! :? What's that supposed to mean?! :?

This, I think...:

World in Flames Classic Game

Description

World in Flames is Australian Design group's international award winning game that is the strategic game of World War II. Five full-colour maps portray all the theatres of war: Europe, Russia, Africa, the Middle East, India, Asia, the Pacific, the Atlantic and (most importantly) Australia.

1400 counters represent the armies and corps, the aircraft carriers, the naval task forces and the air groups that took part. Everything you need to re-fight the greatest conflict in history.

Two to six players make the strategic decisions that decide the fate of nations. What forces to produce, where to commit them, when and how? No two games of World in Flames play the same, no strategy is foolproof, any decision may have unforseen, long-term consequences.

World in Flames contains 1400 counters, 5 maps, 2 combat charts, one Production Circle and the comprehensive ©2003 rules and scenarios booklets, that have been extensively updated and revised based on 2 million playing hours of the world's greatest game.

If you want to change the world then World in Flames is for you.

And....

World in Flames and all their components and kits, in both their electronic and printed forms, are Copyright 1985 ~ 2002

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Ok. So here is mine:

1. Rebellion

2. Dune 2 (wooo yay :D )

3. UFO

4. Seven Kingdoms II

5. Shogun

6. MOO2

7. Civ2

8. Imperium Galactica (proud little hungarian development :P )

I don't like Age ofs and Starcraft, Warcrafts, Red Alerts.