EAW Precise ship scaling for FOC

Centurin

Yes true, ships should not be bigger than ships they're smaller than, but overrealistic scalings, like J_C said, Gaint engine glows, or make them too small (like a tiny orb inside a giant engine). not to mention some textures look horrible when upscaled.

Well, yes there needs to be general scaling, but not down-to-the-last-meter scaling...that's a little....overkill?

lol...somehow, I actually like the fighters that big O_o. I can see them! (Yes I'm half blind - even with a 19" monitor, I can't find fighters, and if I try to zoom I can't find my bigger ships lol). I see icons, then little dots...and when the icon dissapears because of dumb glitch...you know what happens. I lose the fighters. De-scaling (sp?) mods so I can see fighters is rather...tedious. lol.

I agree with Revan and JC

Revan? DS you mean....?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kc1991/droid803sig.jpg

"That was fun"

That's realistic scale though...scaling is a pain...un-scaling is a bigger pain >.<

Well, goes to show the saying "looks is everything". Doubt the AI cares XD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/kc1991/droid803sig.jpg

"That was fun"

Can anyone help me to scale these ship props? I have no idea about right scaling...  :-[

I want some ship props to put in land maps (like a dock map), so I put a few, but they scale may not be currect:

<Props_Urban Name="Tartan Cruiser">
	<Text_ID>TEXT_NONE</Text_ID>
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>EV_TartanCruiser.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>3.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Corellian_Corvette">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>RV_CORVETTE.ALO</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.5</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Corellian_Gunboat">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>RV_GUNSHIP.ALO</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.3</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Crusader_Gunship">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>UV_CrusaderClassCorvette.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.5</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Marauder_Cruiser">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>rv_missile_ship.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>4.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Merchant_Freighter">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>NV_Shadowclaw.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>	

The SSD is difficult, but it can be a little bit easier if you decrease the zoom on the maps. The Ship Addon 3.0 mod does this.

The problem with trying to scale land ships is that most of them are out of scale as well. Scaling space ships is enough work as it is. Pretty much, you use the tag to put all the ships at the same depth so they can be accuractely measured onscreen. Take one ship (ISD for example), and use it as a base line for scale. Measure it, and calculate cm per km. For example, since the ISD is 1600km long and if it is 8cm on screen, then the cm per km is 200km/per cm. So using that, you can calculate what the other ships should be assuming you have their actual cannon lengths. You then play around with the scale value to get it close to that number. It is a very time consuming process and one I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks by your explanation.

I wanted the ships to be only props, but it's "impossible" to really make the Tartan for example, has it's correct scale, because it would take half of a small map  :P

I used the Millenium Falcon, IG-2000 and Houd's Tooth landing models as a scale, but as you said, they're probably out of scale (or the bomber models are out of scale)...  :-\

yeah, they're way out of scale. I honestly find the best bet for scaling is by using the ISD as the baseline and assuming that it's in correct scale. This way the SSD doesn't get TOO big and while fighters are the size of gnats, it's not a problem in cinematic mode or if you zoom in.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/NightshadowDragon/RyuuKageSIG.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/NightshadowDragon/AoSW-JCW_Banner.jpg

Yes true, ships should not be bigger than ships they're smaller than, but overrealistic scalings, like J_C said, Gaint engine glows, or make them too small (like a tiny orb inside a giant engine). not to mention some textures look horrible when upscaled.

Well, yes there needs to be general scaling, but not down-to-the-last-meter scaling...that's a little....overkill?

lol...somehow, I actually like the fighters that big O_o. I can see them! (Yes I'm half blind - even with a 19" monitor, I can't find fighters, and if I try to zoom I can't find my bigger ships lol). I see icons, then little dots...and when the icon dissapears because of dumb glitch...you know what happens. I lose the fighters. De-scaling (sp?) mods so I can see fighters is rather...tedious. lol.

Revan? DS you mean....?

Thats the problem with scaling things down too much. I was saying to LOS that there should be some compromise on the smaller ships. Otherwise you will just get little blobs in a selection circle you can't select very well. I am finding the realistic rescaling for my mod a bit a pain. Believe me I have been asking other people about this too..

I will look into the layer z adjust thing though..

JC

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/drone_pilot/JC_Sig.jpg

Sote Mod Website @

http://sote-mod.com/forum/index.php?act=home

I agree. Using the ISD for scale seems to be the best option.

And the Corellian Corvette, with ISD you can do a realistic 150 meters corellian corvette and next with it you can put the correct size to many more ships.

A fighter as a xwing with 14 meters or more would not be invisible on screen.

"Nada escapa a mis dominios".

Clan Nomada Web Site

FirefoxCCMods Web Site

(Only www.FirefoxCCMods.com is a English web site).

I added the Space Layer tag to a couple of Starfighters (TIE Fighter etc) and it seems when I zoom in on them now they are more visible that you can see what your looking at. My scale for the fighters in my game is 0.3 I used the Capital space layer to test this out. Other wise they are normally too small to see them clearly. With them being scaled at half the size they normally are.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/drone_pilot/JC_Sig.jpg

Sote Mod Website @

http://sote-mod.com/forum/index.php?act=home

Can anyone help me to scale these ship props? I have no idea about right scaling...   :-[

I want some ship props to put in land maps (like a dock map), so I put a few, but they scale may not be currect:

<Props_Urban Name="Tartan Cruiser">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>EV_TartanCruiser.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>3.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Corellian_Corvette">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>RV_CORVETTE.ALO</Land_Model_Name>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Corellian_Gunboat">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>RV_GUNSHIP.ALO</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.3</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Crusader_Gunship">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>UV_CrusaderClassCorvette.alo</Land_Model_Name>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Marauder_Cruiser">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>rv_missile_ship.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>4.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>

<Props_Urban Name="Merchant_Freighter">
	<Icon_Name></Icon_Name>
	<Land_Model_Name>NV_Shadowclaw.alo</Land_Model_Name>
	<Scale_Factor>2.0</Scale_Factor><!--<Is_Sprite>No</Is_Sprite>--><Is_Decoration>Yes</Is_Decoration>
</Props_Urban>	

umm...

If they have the same names as units, either the units will overwrite them, or they will overwrite the units.

"I feel fantastic and I'm

Still Alive

and when you're dying I will be

Still Alive

and when you're dead I will be

Still Alive

STILL ALIVE"~GLaDOS

Anybody who thinks Palpatine is a sepratist knows NOTHING about star Wars

When in doubt- rocket it.

Dowload The Underworld's Might beta from Filefront!

I added the Space Layer tag to a couple of Starfighters (TIE Fighter etc) and it seems when I zoom in on them now they are more visible that you can see what your looking at. My scale for the fighters in my game is 0.3 I used the Capital space layer to test this out. Other wise they are normally too small to see them clearly. With them being scaled at half the size they normally are.

What value did you use for the tag? Fighter? I used .2 and .3 for my fighter scale values since that is what the rescale mod did for EAW.