Re: Are You Still Planning on Buying Game After Demo/Mods

Nevets

Planning on buying the game?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Planning on buying the game?

• Oh Yea! Best Star Wars game ever. I'm going to get it first day!
    • Definitely getting it, looks like the best star wars strategy game out there.
    • It looks to be on par with Rebellion, will probably get it.
    • I had my full with the demo and mods. I may or may not get it.
    • It sucked, wont buy it at all.
    • Not sure yet.

Wo voted for "It sucked, wont buy it at all." ?!  >:(

*away for trying to get some tar and feathers*

Gee, I wonder... ::)

>>>http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=1937.0

It's a shame all some people can do is complain without any positive feedback whatsoever. The game isn't perfect, but it doesn't need that crap. That has to be the most negativly depressing thing I've read since The Raven.

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural."- Darth Sidious

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2268/tfomegag25vz.jpg

Negetivity and lack of respect ruins communities. It may take time, but the C&C community is nothing but a shell that is full of disarray. I've been in the C&C community for 9 years. I have put alot of heart and soul into it, and now, I hate what it has become. Everyone bickers, disrespects, and flames. There is seemingly no structure and no life to the C&C community, and I for one do not wish to see that happen here.

At PFF, the admins and mods need to tighten down on the non-constructive idiocy from the very start. Otherwise we'll have a community made up of mostly disrespectful scum like the C&C community. Do not let anyone, anywhere turn to the darkside.  ;)

Keep in mind that perhaps only 15% of the overall buyers of the game use star wars or petroglyph related forums at all... and I think many of the other 85% didn't play rebellion or aren't star wars fan boys. Everyone knows that the reaction of fanatic fans (no offense, I'm one of these fans myself) might differ from the common opinion about a game/movie/book...

*DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way trying to say you should buy EAW, just thought it was cool to post*  ;D

My brother just sent me this link, it looks like EB games is also giving away a Death Star Desktop Ball with the game.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/260507.asp

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

*DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way trying to say you should buy EAW, just thought it was cool to post*  ;D

My brother just sent me this link, it looks like EB games is also giving away a Death Star Desktop Ball with the game.

I pre-ordered and didn't get this ?  :o I think I got ripped off.

Not just that Delphi :o Based on info from EBgames the Death Star comes with a Special Stand and is electronic with death star superlaser sounds etc :D

I think the battles are a bit too fast paced and there's hardly any time to relish the key moments. Galactic Conquest(from what I could see from the demo) is amazing, although a bit contrived. Master of Orion has the same interplanetary element, but without the cool battles. Definitely the best Star Wars strategy, but that's not saying much. There has never been an exceptionally good Star Wars RTS...and this one should fill that empty seat. :-\

"Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Old Klingon proverb.

http://www.shearers.com/images/product/showcase/porkrinds_original2.jpg

Does it blow things up too? Is it voice activated so if you happen to say "Red 5" you here the firing of torpedos before it self destructs? No? Never mind, but still a cool thing to have  ;D

I am quite sure it's much less than 15% that read these forums.

Although I can't speak for him, I don't think JediIgor voted for "It sucked".

Didn't say that these 15% read PFF or much or less related boards  ;) I just think that perhaps 15% might get their information through lucas/star wars fan boards and/or are related to star wars communitys. As for the other 85% you will have to obtain a neutral position towards the game. They might not have played Rebellion or Battlegrounds, perhaps they didn't even see all SW Movies and most of them never have read a Star Wars related Book. I think it would be pointless to try to convince an average "non star wars fan boy" gamer that a game like Battlegrounds, Force Commander or Rebellion has some content that is possibly better than comparable game content in EaW.

What I want to say with this : EaW is a great game with lots of good ideas, a exciting gameplay and graphics that are mostly much above average. But Petroglyph never tried to make the ultimate SW Fan Game. You can't make money with such an idea in the game industry because game development is to expensive to sell a well designed game just to a small group of hardcore fans. Additionaly there are so many different views of what is canon or non canon and even more opinions on "what is cool" in the SW universe (one likes darth maul, another one hates him. one thinks the Nebulon-G is a great ship, another one thinks its just non canon crap) that you won't ever manage to satisfy them all.

Edit: keep spelling and gramma for yourself ;) just fucking tired ATM

Hee hee, this site doesn't censor swear words. I thought this was the bas****(I'll censor it myself) child of Lucasarts, guess I was wrong. Anyway, forums consistently get clogged and screwy, I'd say this site's better than most, though....Clog wise. Good plumbing.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Old Klingon proverb.

http://www.shearers.com/images/product/showcase/porkrinds_original2.jpg

After observing Delphi's obsession with Nerf...I know what to get Delphi next Christmas now  ;)

What's the betting that Delphi and a few of the team go down to the local toy store in Vegas and buy all the Nerf Stuff for in-studio battles? Actually I wouldn't be suprised if they haven't already  ;)

Staying true to the topic  ;D Yes ill be buying the full game, as the modded (don’t get me wrong you modders are fantastic and thanks for the mods btw) demo has little to offer compared to a full game. I don’t mean units, I mean maps etc (the complete package is always better than getting your box of leggos with lots of bricks missing). Well thought out maps make a game more interesting, everyone will be able to make what ships/troops they need (like in the modded demo). Im sure that you Modgods will eventually be able to make maps for the demo, but playing on varying maps will make the full version the one I want. And yes the allure of a plastic Deathstar on my monitor will also clinch the deal lol

Think I lost myself somewhere there heh heh heh…

"maximum firepower"

About the demo,

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of RTS. I played a few along the years but I'm not a hardcore RTS player. Two notable games I played: Total annihilation and Warhammer 40k: dawn of war. Those game rocks IMO, and they had a lot of character. The game universe are rich and compelling. By the way, I wasn't a big fan of games like C&C, Empire Earth or AoE.

I'm a huge fan of the star wars universe, and I feel it was properly integrated into the game/demo, based on what I've seen.

Space battles in the demo were cool. They offer a much simplier system than the one in Homeworld, which is definitively a plus, and it's so satisfying to finally have a game were you can control the coolest spaceship of all: the imperial star destroyers (even if in the demo, you can only control a smaller variant of it). Love it.

I played SW Rebellion countless hours. The game was simple and effective. However, the tactical space battle were so-so. Still, it was nice and is still on my HD after all these years.

So from a space battle perspective, the demo deliver a great game experience.

However, the ground battle leave a lot to be desired IMO. In short, I didn't like them at all. The feel for the graphics and the environment brought me back memories of C&C and their countless clones. That wasn't a good thing for me.

The system where you cannot build new units during a battle is interesting, but it only reinforce a simple fact: the side with the biggest army will win if played smartly. Most human player will be able to achieve that: playing smartly. However, I wonder how aggresive the AI will be and how effective it will be at playing offensively: attacking your planets. Like most games, it will achieve this by doing a simple thing: cheating. The AI will probably know what planets are poorly defended and it will conduct invasion against them, leaving you, the human player, very frustrated. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt it.

What I also fear with this system is the sheer repetitiveness of it through a game. In the galactic conquest mode, how many planets will I have to invade? With the same units over and over. And fighting against similar foes over and over. Repeating a similar land battle over 30 times in a game is not what I have in mind.

Space battle offer more tactical flexibility. They offer the classical rock-paper-scissor unit design approach but with a twist: you have capital ship and fighters. And not to repeat myself, but controlling big capital ship is just cool. Controlling a squad of tank units or rocket infantry is not. To me at least.

The demo doesn't give us a clear indication about the gameplay difference for the 2 factions. They mention it a few times, but I would prefered to experience it more. They do show us one of them: the rebel can steal money from empire controlled planet using smuggler/heroes. The empire can defend against this using bounty hunter. Wow! I'm soooo impressed (being cynical here). I just hope there's more of this and not just 1 or 2 features like this.

If you ask me, if there's one feature they could implement/add/modify that would make me buy this game is this: allow me to skip tactical battle on planet. I press a button and I get the result. This way, I could focus on space battle only, which I liked a lot in the demo, and controlling my faction through the galactic view giving me a strategic experience.

Conclusion: I'm not sure yet. Will wait and see before buying the game.

Things are not as they seem,

nor are they otherwise

Congratulations, you get your wish.  Being able to skip the land, or space tactical battle by autoresolve will be available, but as with any such feature... it is not recomended.

On the ground battles, I believe that the units and the way they are implemented work for the current map sizes... which means I wish the maps were bigger to allow room for some more ground units/variations etc.  This is a double edged sword, though, as the longer a ground battle takes, the longer the whole campaign will take.  We want an epic struggle, but most of us have jobs, or at least school and need to be able to finish a galactic struggle in less than a month... at least there is a save feature.  ;)

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png