Q&A Round 2!

Delphi-PG

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are some I thought:

1) Are there going to be more heros than the ones we already know?

2) After a hero is dead, can they clone back to life like the emperor did on the novels?

3) Is there going to be a time period to build another Death Star after a first one has been detroyed?

4) Can Heroes do special missions?, like Boba Fett hunting Han Solo or Han and Chewie stealing imperial technology?

5) On Star Wars Rebellion we saw jedi and sith heroes training other non jedi heroes to use the force, are we going to see this on empire at war?

Some of these have already been answered (correct me if not).

2. Heros can be brought back after they die, only not in the same skirmish.

5. People can not be trained to be jedi, so no Jedi Luke in this one. They stay the way they start in the game.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Teradyn is right about those and 4) has been answered as well. yes Han and Chewie can steal from the empire, Technologically R2-D2 and C3-PO steal the Technology from the Empire.

5) (Extention on Teradyn's answer) we may see a Jedi Luke in the Official Expansion that maybe released and has been hinted at by Delphi.(I would Quote him if i could remember what he said but there was a reference to Mustafar that couldn't be explained as he had said that it wasn't in the game but would serve its purpose.)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

2) After a hero is dead, can they clone back to life like the emperor did on the novels?

3) Is there going to be a time period to build another Death Star after a first one has been detroyed?

4) Can Heroes do special missions?, like Boba Fett hunting Han Solo or Han and Chewie stealing imperial technology?

5) On Star Wars Rebellion we saw jedi and sith heroes training other non jedi heroes to use the force, are we going to see this on empire at war?

I think that #1 here is too open ended to warrant using one of our 5 questions on, but #3 may be an excellent question to replace my #5. Maybe it could read:

"If the empire loses the Death Star in the galactic 1v1 multiplayer is it possible for the empire player to build another one? If so, will the time to build it be the same as the first time?"

What you think?

sorry ghostly didnt see your question i like your number 3 question (although i won't play it online as im not allowed but i generally think that it needs asking) and number 1 is worth asking at some point.

but i think number 2 has been answered i'm sure it's been said only Chewie can steal Vehicles but the infiltrator may.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

1) Will it be possible to mod in another faction without replacing the ones already in the game? For Skirmish maps and Campaign?

2) Can you steal more then one Imperial vehicles with the Rebels or only Chewie can steal only one?

3) Will multiplayer games be hosted by pure Gamespy or will there be plans to remove gamespy and put in a Lucas or Petroglyh server? Will there also be a direct IP?

Heh, sorry GS, missed these. #1 is a problem because he said in the last answers that he can't release more info on moddability. I really would like to know the answer to this one for a couple of reasons though.

#2 Is a good question, but I think that it was said that only chewie can and only an AT-ST. (correct me if I am wrong on this)

#3 Is a good one if he can answer it. Direct IP is an absolute must for this game. No point dealing with the cruddy (better word would be filtered :wink: ) Gamespy system when you are just playing with 1 other person...

Here's another question that is probably on all of our minds:

How is your relationship with Lucasarts? Have they forced some unwanted changes upon EAW? (maybe different wording, but you get the idea)

ALSO:

Why did you set such low system requirements for EAW? Does it really scale that well, or is it the low requirements that have mandated things such as the small population cap to be used. (1GHz processor=not many units on screen, less particle effects etc.... Honestly, who still has a 1Ghz processor!!!?? :oops: You could buy a 2 GHz for less than EAW will cost!)

"Wipe them out...All of them"

Another question on some peoples mind is why was the game pushed back even more.

Let's not even start on that one. Think optimistaclly people! This is like the Great Depression all over again!(don't comment on that, please)

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

I think that #1 here is too open ended to warrant using one of our 5 questions on, but #3 may be an excellent question to replace my #5. Maybe it could read:

"If the empire loses the Death Star in the galactic 1v1 multiplayer is it possible for the empire player to build another one? If so, will the time to build it be the same as the first time?"

What you think?

Cool with me. Althought I still think that #1 is a cool one too, but its up to you guys.

With the recent news I think we should ask if the game can be moded at all or not.

Guys, most of these questions have been aswered, or strongly hinted at. These are the answers as I understand them to be. (Or in some cases, what seems very evident based on what has been said and hinted).

I think technically the Hypervelocity gun could pose a serious threat to the Death Star, except I think the Death Star can destroy the planet at a distance that the Hypervelocity gun could not reach it. None of that matters though as the Hypervelocity gun is Imperial only.

Units can't fire at the DS and the DS cant fire at units. The death star wont even have a hull/shield rating.

Do fighters affect cap?

Squadrons won't effect pop cap at all. They are anticipated by the capital ship pop cap. (i.e. ships that carry more fighters will have a higher pop cap)

Which conduce me to think that each unit count as 1, one example is the avatar we have in the upper left corner of the site, we can see a fleet of 10 or 8 Star Destroyers and a lot of ties, maybe each unit count as one, if it is that way, then there is not much problem at all.

I suspect that those screenshots are made on good systems. I suspect (Said this in another post) that LA went to PG and said "You have to make the game run on these specs" after the engine had already been made, and most of the models. At that point, PG's arms were tied as far as unit caps and found 20 to be the highest they could good and still meet LA's system requirements.

Will it be possible to mod in another faction without replacing the ones already in the game? For Skirmish maps and Campaign?

No. The coding for that would not be in the XML. Its hardcoded. It would take some very advanced C++ tinkering to change such a thing. And in light of the new information about modality, not very likely.

Can you steal more then one Imperial vehicles with the Rebels or only Chewie can steal only one?

I suspect hero's have a "mana" system allowing them to only use their special abilities so often in a certain amount of time. Once a ship that chewie is in has been destroyed, he appears on the ground next to it. If he has enough energy, he can take another.

Will multiplayer games be hosted by pure Gamespy or will there be plans to remove gamespy and put in a Lucas or Petroglyh server? Will there also be a direct IP?

There are no plans to remove gamespy. LA has likely entered into a contractual agreement with gamespy. By making EAW gamespy only, gamespy is automatically promoted with every copy of EAW sold. In return, gamespy gives favorably reviews and free website promotion for the game. This is why they took SO long to get us any info about multiplayer. They were still trying to negotiate with several parties.

However, there will likely be a direct IP and the mod community would be able to develop their own third party software that can sniff out EAW games and allow players to connect to them via IP.

Is it possible, that my own ships hit themselve?

No

Do the fighters self repair?

Yes, but not during battle. If they survive the battle they are instantly repaired. Fighter damage is not persistent. Any fighter losses will also be replenished upon the finishing of the battle.

Are there boarding Craft?

No boarding craft. Though there may be a hero that can steal small ships.

Can we create heros or just purchase heros like luke, can the Hypervelocity gun reach the death Star and affect it?

Heros are purchased in Skirmish mode. In Campaign mode and galactic mode, your available heros are based on which planets you control. Planet A will have a hero or two for the imps and for the rebs. If an imp player takes the planet, that hero becomes theirs. If the hero dies and they do not control the planet, they will not get the hero back until they reclaim the planet (Assuming he has been dead long enough to respawn)

What happens if I have a fleet that is 15 size points attack an enemy and have a fleet of 10 size points set to show up after the battle. What happens? Does the game prevent you from telling the 10 size point fleet to go to that planet in the first place?

Galactic map freezes during combat. No new fleets will arrive. If your fleet is larger than 20, then the rest will be placed in reinforcements and can be called upon once you have lost a ship in the battlefield.

Can Heroes do special missions?, like Boba Fett hunting Han Solo or Han and Chewie stealing imperial technology?

Nope. Bounty hunters can be hired to try and track down heros and abduct them. They are also available based on what planets you own. But they are NPC. Player controlled heros simply have "special abilities". Oddly enough, Boba Fett is not a bounty hunter, he is a player controlled hero.

I've seen alot of those questions answered...but a few it seems like you were simply making educated guesses on. For instance, the faction adding, LEC and Petro havent commented on this to my knowledge.

This was to Avaris

I've seen alot of those questions answered...but a few it seems like you were simply making educated guesses on. For instance, the faction adding, LEC and Petro havent commented on this to my knowledge.

This was to Avaris

Ya the faction guessing is a wild guess since they did say modding should be easy and well people would want to add more then one faction to the game such as Hapens, Chiss, and any other Star Wars race I cant think of while posting.

Yeah, i'll look for it. And I didn't say its "impossible" only that it would require some serious recoding in C. Far beyond what people do for normal mods. It would be a task more on the lines of Counter Strike (If not more complicated). Its not XML though, I can tell you that just from my expereince in coding. But, off i go, ill see if I can find his post. (or maybe it was from the chat log)..

Yeah, i'll look for it. And I didn't say its "impossible" only that it would require some serious recoding in C. Far beyond what people do for normal mods. It would be a task more on the lines of Counter Strike (If not more complicated). Its not XML though, I can tell you that just from my expereince in coding. But, off i go, ill see if I can find his post. (or maybe it was from the chat log)..

Ok if your right then whats the point of modding the game then if the stupid things will be moddable? I wont start swearing until I actually get the proof 8)

Umm, I made a post but it apperently vanished. Hmmph. Retyping this will suck, I'm making a much more condensed post this time (Prolly best for everybody else).

Things we know "heros dying" "experience" "gui" can not be easily changed. Suggesting that the tings that can be changed are mainly data driven. (units, prc, weather, etc)

The problem with adding a faction is that it will change victory conditions, change planet bonuses, and several other "faction specific" things. Now, I don't mean to say we cant change planet bonuses from a "numerical" standpoint. I'm saying that is we can't "add" planet bonuses to a third faction, then there are problems.

for example: If Byss has a population bonus for imps and rebs, we can easily "change" that pop bonus. But can we add a pop bonus for a new faction? That would have to be predesigned most likely, depending on how intigrated many of the faction elements are. If The reb faction is denoted by a "1" and imps "2", trying to tell the game to assign a bonus to faction "3" might not do anything at all.

So, I would say that unless they built it with the intention of "more than 2 factions, while only using two slots in their release" then we may be out of luck. However, we don't know if they did. Or if they did not, if they can make that change for us without too mcuh work.

Like i said from the beginning though, nothing is impossible with the right amount of decoding and recoding. But the amount of work would be remarkable if you had to change all the C code which was setup to only support two factions. Lets hope that isnt the case.

I got an idea, lets ask this question next time Pg offers us a Q&A. Oh wait. damnit.

PS: A, this is a highly simplified explanation, so please don't get on my case about certain aspects of my point from a programming standpoint. I didn't want to bore anybody. And: Skirmish mode may not have any faction related elements or conditions, and may be easier to add a faction to.

I disagree with the Gui being unable to be modded, generally of course since we don't know what they have done to purposefully done to block it. They said that they use LUA which is what WoW uses and there are more gui mods for that than you can shake a pointer at.