Elements/weather

Jmaster3265

Well due to the most recent trailer, we found out that each planet has it's own elements and weather affects. So how do you think the weather will affect the gameplay? Do you think you can toggle the weather off, like most RTS games?Take AOE3 for example, i have heard from many people that with the weather toggled on it makes the gameplay harder, and easier when it is off
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'd want it to be toggleable (don't think that's an actual word :) ) but yes to it having a purpose on the battlefield. I figure Petroglyph is going to get this one right, from what we've seen so far, it's really given me an appreciation for the effort they are putting into their maps.

I do have one fear regarding weather and similar effects. In games such as BFME, having weather effects could slow the computer down to a crawl, and even on more powerful computers would come to a crunch for 4-5 seconds while it worked out what it had to do. Modern weather effects and older computers aren't a combination you'd naturally equate to one another. I'd be interested, seeing how amazing the weather and scenery effects are, what their effect on computers is in terms of slowdown.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

It would be funny to see some infantry units get randomly fragged by lightning or something. Or if the weather is bad enough you can't use speeders, though not allowing bomber strikes could be annoying if the opposing team has their shield generator in some isoslated area that your units can't get to.

Would be nice to see the heavier vehicles get stuck in mud during heavy rainfalls, like in the Battle of Jabiim comic. Would change tactics somewhat. 8)
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

Not really. Whats a couple dozen soliders in an army of thousands anyhow? :) Anyways, it'll teach you to keep your troops in cover and transports. I like the heavy vehicles stuck in mud idea, I mean you really couldn't send an AT-AT through Yoda's swamp now could you?

Nope. And not just because of rain and muddy lakes, but from what we've seen, the terrain is too dense to allow vehicles the size of AT-ATs through. (For other examples, see Endor in ROTJ, where they could only stick to pre-made paths.)

Which is why I'm advocating AT-TEs and the like in EaW. With less room to manouver, you'll need more compact assault vehicles, and the AT-TE is like a mini-AT-AT in most respects.

It would be funny to see some infantry units get randomly fragged by lightning or something. Or if the weather is bad enough you can't use speeders, though not allowing bomber strikes could be annoying if the opposing team has their shield generator in some isoslated area that your units can't get to.

aah run away from the jedi!

*luke raises his lightsaber in triumph*

ZZZZZZZZZSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!

now that would be hilarious lol

I've have you now - Lord Vader

........not funny

feel a little tension around the throat nathan?

good, i thiought so :P

with the weather, could it affect your landings too? like lightining storm could potentially strike 1 of your transsports full of ATATs and the such. and speaking of weather/enviorments, could lava on mustufar and other lava planets pplay a role in tatics?

I've have you now - Lord Vader

I think the AT-AT would be large enough and well grounded so that the most lighting would do is leave little burn marks on it. And would lightsabers make for good conductors? The handle probably, but the energy beam itself I'm wondering about.

Mmmmm.... I just had a lovely little mental image of a chaotic battle going on around the base of an erupting volcano.... Dynamic enviroments could be such fun!

If AOTC and ROTS is any indication, lightsabres protect their wielders by absorbing Force Lightning, at least.

I think that lightsabers actually deflect the force-lightning rather than absorb it. Lightning sounds like a cool feature, but since we haven't seen anything other than just rain in videos and trailers I'm assuming that weather and such will just be eye candy and probably won't affect (too much) the battles themself.

Take AOE3 for example, i have heard from many people that with the weather toggled on it makes the gameplay harder, and easier when it is off

This would have the same effect.

Now I don't understand you guys, you get insistent about heroes dying as it feels more strategic, but want a toggle to turn off weather. :? Boggles my mind.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

weather can be considered a "detail" , not a major gameplay element. But Heros, you're hitting Star Wars aspect, and one of the gameplay major element. That's why we're according much more interest on Heros and what they can do.

Weather can be a major gameplay element. In C&C Tiberian Sun, Ion storms can control how you play the map. In many multiplayer maps there were regular storms. And of you know what Ion storms an do, then you know you should not you MRLS all that much. Also infantry in groups are bad ideas to use on a Ion storm map.

Now with a game like EaW, weather can have even greater effect on the game and how you play it.

I must not fear

Fear is the mind-killer

Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration

I will face my fear

I will permit it to pass over me and through me

And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing

Only I will remain

-- The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

from the novel Dune by Frank Herbert

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/images/hierarchy_banner1.jpg

weather can be considered a "detail" , not a major gameplay element. But Heros, you're hitting Star Wars aspect, and one of the gameplay major element. That's why we're according much more interest on Heros and what they can do.

Weather is a detail!?!?! WTF!!! Major battles have been delayed becuase of un-favorable weather, kings have been overthrown due to changes in climate, THE FRIGGIN' R/C AIRSHOW I WAS GOING TO FLY AT WAS CANCELED DUE TO HIGH WINDS!!!! Weather isn't important my arse... I think is some situation weather would be more important than heros.

Now I don't understand you guys, you get insistent about heroes dying as it feels more strategic, but want a toggle to turn off weather. :? Boggles my mind.

Same here....

Republic armored vehicles got stuck in mud during the CW campaign on Jabiim. In the same story, communications with orbiting vessels broke down due to interferring storms and several dropships were lost when flying down.

A group of AT-ATs broke through a glacier on Hoth, resulting in casualties.

All these instances are due to weather-conditions. So, yes, in real life and in SW, weather matters.

I hope it's as effective on gameplay as possible, as well as being predictable - so if you're on Hoth and have sent airspeeders all over, and suddenly a blizzard comes through... the airspeeders will be grounded rather hastily and violently. Units should slow down, infantry should have reduced hit points, and nobody should see as well - for snow. In rainy weather, mechanical units could rust out a bit and become weaker; in electrical storms, machines could randomly get zapped and become disabled; etc.

Would make the game that much better.

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

I hope weather is in but is carefully balenced. The last thing I want is to get hit by weather effects every single time I land on a planet. About how to predict it, maybe some type of building can be built that helps predict weather or some warning effects. Such as snow fall increasing rapidly could be a sign of a blizzard on its way.