Transports

Eduardo

Star destroyers will burn in orbit. AT-ATs will crush Rebel forces on the ground below. And it will all happen at the same time, in a persistent universe.

I wish they would stop saying this if it isn't true. And if it is true, how? The sequence of battle is one thing that still confuses me. If it is linear, how do reinforcements show up? If it is real time, could you drop troops on the ground before the enemy is taken out in space? And if that is possible, could you have orbital bombardments happening from both fleets on the ground?

Too many issues with this part of the game. :?

Delphi, could you shed some light on this question? I assume that the game is too far into developement for this to be changed from how it is currently implemented, so there should be some kind of answer available that is set in stone for release.

It could be that you are only allowed to land a set number of troops on the ground at a time, but as you lose them, you can call down more troops that are in orbit?

That's one possibility

Trouble is, we don't know what he meant by pop cap. Is he referring to a ground/space pop cap or does he mean a galaxy pop cap. I am very interested in this aspect myself but I think as for fixing it goes, this is one value that should definately be modable, given its nature.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trolling?

This is exactly the type of post I think he is referring to. What the issue is, is that it seems that all of your posts are either one-liners or small sentence fragments. They give the appearance of being post-count boosting. Every once in a while a small responce is all that is needed, but the conversations on the boards are better served by longer, more thought-out posts.

A couple days ago, your post number was around 60.

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

We do not want it to degenerate to that. One thing I like about these forums vs LEC is that we usually have well thought-out discussions. We obviously will have alot of people start showing up here as a result of the live chat announcement, but we all need to keep the same level of involvement that we had before and continue to post thoughtfully and constructively.

Back on topic! :roll:

I assume that a pop cap, either way, would be easily moddable. It's just a fixed number, after all. If nothing else, Delphi said that it would "barely noticeable."

I am still concerned about the modability of transports issue. I hate to keep pressing it, but I would rather have an ideosyncratic, otherwise useless question answered by someone like Delphi here than waste anyone's time on next week's chat. Hense the annoying tenacity. :oops:

Back on topic! :roll:

I assume that a pop cap, either way, would be easily moddable. It's just a fixed number, after all. If nothing else, Delphi said that it would "barely noticeable."

I am still concerned about the modability of transports issue. I hate to keep pressing it, but I would rather have an ideosyncratic, otherwise useless question answered by someone like Delphi here than waste anyone's time on next week's chat. Hense the annoying tenacity. :oops:

Since this is supposed to be very modable, and since it makes sense from a design standpoint, the ability to carry troops will be a value, or attribute of a particular ship. You can either change a value in the ships XML description or if it is not there you should be able to add it in. Either way, you could probably change a simple value to give, say an ISD the proper troop complement. The only limiting factor to this is the interface with which the troops land. If the carrying vessels is the one you actually select to come to the surface then having troops on an ISD will be an interesting issue since even in Canon, the ISD can not land.

I'm sure that ground battles just automatically have transports as the de facto troop drop off.

After all, you technically have no "fleets" with which to drop off your soldiers in ground skirmish battles, and transports are how you get your troops there.

I'm sure that ground battles just automatically have transports as the de facto troop drop off.

After all, you technically have no "fleets" with which to drop off your soldiers in ground skirmish battles, and transports are how you get your troops there.

This is a good point about the skirmish battles, but how will they do tie or y-wing bombardments in skirmish? There may be a different dynamic completely for the campaign portion which still leaves the issue of the transports. They have mentioned before that the ships you drop troops off with are the ships that are in the fleet above. And we have seen the models for the transports that are dropping troops and equipment off in the ground battle represented in the space arena.

So it would seem that this modding for space battles would be sort of tricky if the transport you saw in ground battles directly corresponds to the same transport in space.

Do you think that there would be any way around this?

An insightful quip from Delphi would be ever so helpful, right about now... :wink:

Yes, maybe. But I think that what he has currently shared with us has been at his discretion. He may have had someone at LEC say stop, but I doubt they even are aware of this forum or have time to peruse it over the chaos of the LEC forums.

It could also be that they requested someone from Petroglyph deal with us when we were in the middle of our SSD frenzy. He did say then that he was planning on showing up here at least twice a week.