Express your opinion on the timeline tech news here.

Teradyn_pff

Please select which statement reflects how the news that the game will basically end timeline-wise at ANH.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which statement reflects how the news that the game will basically end timeline-wise at ANH.

• I will buy the game because it is made by most of the people that made Command and Conquer.
    • I will probably buy the game because I want a decent Star Wars RTS and Empire at War will be a welcome upgrade to Rebellion, SSD and company missing notwithstanding.
    • I will wait to see if the game plays well enough with the demo before deciding. I was going to buy the game for sure before this news.
    • I will buy the game because it is Star Wars.
    • I will buy the game because it is an RTS set in Star Wars.
    • I will not buy this game. The timeline and/or exclusion of post ANH ships (except for Alliance ships like Mon Cal, etc.) is a deal breaker for me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars RTS.

I will buy this game. There isn't any reason behind it really other than the fact I still want it. To me that's all that matters. The fact it's star wars and an RTS does appeal to me but I'd like to make certain that I have many reasons still for wanting it.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Picked the 3rd...although what units are in game does not make or break a game for me...its the smaller details that will do it for me, like unit ai, formations, options, strategic options, etc...which i have many questions about some of these features...but as Delph-PG said be patient

Sparky

I picked option #3.

But I must say, I'm surprised if the Carrack Cruiser is not in (we haven't gotten the full list yet, right? :) ), and with all the ship designs in this time, I don't see much need any longer to introduce more ship designs in this timeperiod as it is. The more designs that are introduced, the harder it gets to justify it, create it's backstory convincingly. Why was it needed, what sparked the idea, who created it, what purpose does it serve, etc.... these kind of questions. Thinking mostly about the Broadside (please come up with a propper name for it :D it's a very descriptive nickname though ;) )

And believe me, Star Wars people are very scrutinous about such things. ;)

They don't take too lightly on the whole Star Wars universe and don't swallow stuff raw. They need a good reason if new things are added. :P

I should know. :D

So, having said that, I keep hearing the words "Star Wars lore" being brought up. How then do you justify the inclusion of the Century Tank (also nicknamed the TIE Tank and TIE Crawler), which was produced for the first time in the period following the Battle of Endor? If there is a place where new design is welcomed, because it's a much needed addition due to the lack of unit types, it is ground forces, in particulary tanks. ;)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

No SSD for you!

Anyway, Jan Gaarni brings up an excellent point. What is the deal with the tie crawler? It seems to me that the game starts when it says it does and then from that point on they take whatever units seem to fill whatever cookie they are molding for the 1v1 balance they are doing apparently. So we could end up with B-Wings and no Tie Advanced. Or Mon Calimari Cruisers and no Lancer Frigates. Or A-Wings and no Tie Intercepters.

This kind of drops EAW to the level of modding Star Wars on top of an existing RTS. I was hoping for something more inovative and complete.

If the modding support is what they say it will be (and I have doubts given this current situation), I will probably be doing some coding myself. Can't model or skin at all but have slung a few pointers here and there from time to time.

Anyway:

UselessPostCount++

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

How then do you justify the inclusion of the Century Tank (also nicknamed the TIE Tank and TIE Crawler), which was produced for the first time in the period following the Battle of Endor?

Easy, we have Tie Maulers developed before Tie Crawlers. It is easy to get them confused, as it happens a lot here.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

This kind of drops EAW to the level of modding Star Wars on top of an existing RTS. I was hoping for something more inovative and complete.

The game is going to be very complete and a lot of fun. But we are very aware that not everyone can be pleased. We'll do our best though. :D

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

I was wondering why the "TIE Mauler" didn't actually have the same construct as the TIE Crawler. Initially I thought you just modifyed the design. So it is a whole new unit. *cough*Plagerism*cough*
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

I was wondering why the "TIE Mauler" didn't actually have the same construct as the TIE Crawler. Initially I thought you just modifyed the design. So it is a whole new unit. *cough*Plagerism*cough*

:lol: @ Foshjedi2004

I wonder what the ratio of movie and "official canon" units vs made up units there will be here?

And it may not be possible, but any way someone could ask Petroglyph what the prompting was for setting the game in this limited (IMO) timeframe? From a developer's point of view, purposely leaving off established units to have to create new ones doesn't make much sense. Of course that may not be the case when you take into account the time saved by not creating a valid, story-true (which Lucas can't even do :evil: ), balanced side/economy vs side/economy instead of a unit vs unit so called "balance".

How then do you justify the inclusion of the Century Tank (also nicknamed the TIE Tank and TIE Crawler), which was produced for the first time in the period following the Battle of Endor?

Easy, we have Tie Maulers developed before Tie Crawlers. It is easy to get them confused, as it happens a lot here.

Ok, that makes sense I guess. I can buy that.

And it wouldn't really conflict if you claimed it was built by Seinar Fleet Systems (or a co-operation between SFS and another company more experienced with ground based units) either, as Star Wars lore states that the Crawler was the first craft designed and built by the Seinar Army Systems division of the Santhe/Seinar Technologies group, a company (and division for that matter) that still doesn't exist prior to ANH.

You would almost have to have this be a SFS design seeing they own the patent on the whole TIE cockpit idea. ;)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

We saw tech from the movie side so why cant we explore in the same timeline that happened in movies but before and elsewhere. See what it would have been like to acutally control what the Rebels and Imperials had on the drawing board or on the field. Why cant we play with tools they already had but not seen by us (Petro made units) ?

We saw tech from the movie side so why cant we explore in the same timeline that happened in movies but before and elsewhere. See what it would have been like to acutally control what the Rebels and Imperials had on the drawing board or on the field. Why cant we play with tools they already had but not seen by us (Petro made units) ?

Um if you mean what tools they used to make the units that go in the game, then that is something that is most likely commercially available, like Photoshop, 3D-Studio Max, etc. The programs are prohibitively expensive but there are several that do as well in most aspects that are relatively cheap or shareware. The unit description files are xml so it shouldn't be a hard matter to build your own, given you are good with colors and models.

The limitations are going to be whatever is in the game that is not in the xml configurations. Like for example, if it will be possible for you to leave debris after a ship explosion and have it be pulled into the planet or a large ship that is close enough due to gravity. :twisted: (You know what Ep VI sequence I will be creating if this is possible:) )

You missed my point, my point was that if the Rebels and Imperials had tech on THEIR drawing boards then we should be able to use them since they're on the field and ready to regain the galaxy with.

Ah, well that is an issue. The timeline for this game is supposed to be up to the end of ANH only. But they are grabbing some units from ESB and RotJ only to flesh out the sides. So what you see in the movies following ANH can be considered out of bounds for this game unless Petroglyph deems otherwise. But officially this game ends tech-wise at the end of ANH.

i take option 5

i buy this game because its star wars

Star wars is not a thing with you can see only a smart part. You must see Star wars completly.

i love Star Wars, especially the EU. I have read a lot of the books after episode 3. at the mom i read the new jedi order and after this maybe young jedi knights or jedi padawan.

Petro tryed to make a good game and we will see if the game will be really great. For me is this game annother part of the great SW universe. i dont really like the discussion about will be the SSD ingame or this unit. What will we do against this superunits and so on. Someone dont like the tie Crawlers or the new desigent ships. but you must see that a lot of the ship ar only EU!!!!

when we look at the movies we have only this ships

Imperial:

Super StarDestroyer

DeathStar

ImperialStarDestroyer and i think that we have seen in E3 an Viktory SD

the Acclamator

Tie Fighter

Tie Bomber

Tie Advantages (this one what Vader flys in the first SW Movie (Episode 4))

droid carrier

droid fighters

at the repel side

Mon Cal

Nebulan b Fregatte

Correlian Corvette

X Wing

Y Wing

A Wing

B Wing (you will see this ship at Episode 6. at the repel Hyperjump to the Endor System)

Millenium Falcon

Repuplik Fighters

Republik Transport (this one which Obiwan and Qui gon used to jump to tatouinne)

i think i have dont lost someone

at the ground troops you have only

imperial:

Droidika

Droids

DroidTanks

Imperialtrooper

Snowtrooper

speedbike

ATST & ATAT

the Banda in Episode 4

at repel

snowflyer (dont know which will be the real name of the things Episode 5)

ground units

guerellia Troops (Episode 6)

and the Jedis

all the other ships and troop are part of the EU. The games Xwing. Tie fighter and so one are all EU. So i say the first thing why i buy the game is, that it is only Star Wars. The Second thing is, i know the game will be great aso.

Why is English one of the most speaken languages? German is more better, it sounds better and i did unterstandt it ^^ but for you i will spoke english too, not good but you should unterstand me ^^

"Der Preis der Freiheit, ist ewige Wachsamkeit" Col. Blair Herz des Tigers