Rumors of the SSDs involvemnt have been false.

Vader89

Actually, Vader used a prototype TIE, called the Advanced X-1, which is very similar to the later finished product, also referred to as the TIE Avenger (a nick name that the Imperials labeled it with and it stuck), but at the same time it's not 100% identical. another fighter that was born from the research on the X-1 was the TIE Interceptor.

As for the Death Star II, why on Coruscant would you want a half-finished Death Star floating around? :D

A finished DS II would look almost identical to the first DS, only much (much much much) larger.

The SSD doesn't have to be in. And the number 1 reason it doesn't have to be in has nothing to do about when it was introduced, but that it is a very powerfull ship. With around 616 heavy turret batteries (each batteri having 8 guns, totaling to 4928 guns) alone, where a glansing hit from a bolt is enough to destroy a fighter, just screams overpowered. :D

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SSD not being in due to balance reasons is bull IMO. The balance can be maintained with Alliance fighters, cheaper Mon Cal, etc. And also by the cost and production time required.

As for Vader's ship, it was the prototype and the A-Wing was developed after the battle of Yavin, not just finished like the SSD was.

I am saddened at how much is going to be done out of timeline for

balance
. :(

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

As for the Death Star II, why on Coruscant would you want a half-finished Death Star floating around? :D

A finished DS II would look almost identical to the first DS, only much (much much much) larger.

Meh, you are right on that part. I think it would be cool if the ships are built in the open where you can see their wireframes being constructed.

A big difference between the DSII and DSI was the fact that an attack like the one at Yavin would have not been possible. The only way that the Alliance was able to kill the DSII was because they were able to fly directly into the superstructure when all of the defenses were not in place due to its being in construction. Also, the DSII had a better reactor and firing mechanism so it could target small things like capital ships and fire faster.

Given what we have seen so far in the movies and with the SSD being out... we will not be seeing the DSII from Petroglyph in this game. From what I could tell, the Death Star in EAW is not a complete separately modelled ship. If it was, you would be able to select a target for it... unless it has turbolasers and the system destruction is a special feature tacked on to it. If this is the case, there may be hope for taking pieces of that to construct a mod DSII. Who knows.

Ok ok dont wear out the topic :shock: What if I told Petro to take out A-Wings would you be any happier ? Bad example but its just looking like a crying and spamming thread now since everybody is yelling at one another.

Common we have enough toys to play with and your crying ? We also have tons of places to play on :) Theres'll be either an expansion, EAW 2, or maybe both or one or the other. I mean no harm but just the way eveyrbody is crying about the SSD is just sad.

The Executor itself wouldn't be un-balancing (being the over-rated ship that it is), its just when you place it with a fleet of ISDs and those gravity-well SDs is when the problems start. Also it has been stated that the Rebs start off at a planetary dis-advantage, which leads me to believe they won't do as well finicially in the beginning. This allows the possibilty for the Imps to get a step or three ahead in the research count which in turn cause them to put out a SSD and supporting fleet before the Rebs could get out Mon Cals in sufficient numbers (or at all.) If the reb player focused on cap ship research its possible they might not even have the A-wing at that point. With that the case, the imps could hit with a force that even if the rebs did manage to stop it they couldn't possible recover from the assault (unless the imp commander is completly in-competent.) You can retreat, but after awhile, you'll be out of places to run to.

From what I could tell, the Death Star in EAW is not a complete separately modelled ship. If it was, you would be able to select a target for it... unless it has turbolasers and the system destruction is a special feature tacked on to it. If this is the case, there may be hope for taking pieces of that to construct a mod DSII. Who knows.

Actually it is, but it is not designed to fly around a tactical map like an X-wing, Mon Cal, or Imperial SD. The DS takes time to position in galactic and is slow to move in tactical.

Heck if you want to make it a DS II go into the XML and adjust the size by half. Instant DSII. :shock:

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

If they put the Executor in and made themselfs the first game company in history to do it justice, then I guarantee you it would be a major un-balancing ship, unless you add in the Bulwark Battlecruiser for the rebellion.

At 17-19 km (the most thoroughly measurements suggest 17.6), and bristling with guns, not to mention the shields withstanding 3 imperial star destroyers exiting hyperspace right into it and survive, makes me firmly believe this. ;)

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

From what I could tell, the Death Star in EAW is not a complete separately modelled ship. If it was, you would be able to select a target for it... unless it has turbolasers and the system destruction is a special feature tacked on to it. If this is the case, there may be hope for taking pieces of that to construct a mod DSII. Who knows.

Actually it is, but it is not designed to fly around a tactical map like an X-wing, Mon Cal, or Imperial SD. The DS takes time to position in galactic and is slow to move in tactical.

Heck if you want to make it a DS II go into the XML and adjust the size by half. Instant DSII. :shock:

Ok Delphi-PG, you just pulled out the big guns on me there. Anyone who wants to can look at the time stamps on my other posts before this one to confirm, but I am officially ending my campaign of armagedon.

If this level of fidelity is available in this game, it will give the modders (one of which I will be becoming code-only, can't model or texture), the ability to make this game what we want timeline-wise.

I know you don't owe me and may not be able to say, but I am hoping you can answer two questions in relation to your last post.

1. Does this

Actually it is, but it is not designed to fly around a tactical map ...

mean that the Death Star is a unit in the game logic just like a star destroyer, with hardpoints, laser/ion/etc batteries, fighter complements, troop capacity, etc, but with extremely low movement speed and maneuverability? (with the obvious exceptions of only having one {modable?}, the countdown/distance timer, and superlaser)

2. The superlaser that we saw on the films, is there a way it can be targeted at capital ships and/or station by a modder? (I understand so far that in the release game you can not do this.)

If these two questions are both in the affirmative, then I think we have ourselves alot of work ahead as a community, modding-wise, but overall it should be a very good game because of that.

And maybe, just maybe, the timeline that this will ship with will sell enough copies to the Episode I-III fans that Petroglyph can afford to do EAW2 or at least provide updated mod tools and game patches to allow us to bring EAW to its full potential.

Here is to hoping.*Fingers Crossed*

*warms up notepad*

"Lets mod this thing"

*realizes its too soon* *walks off stage*

Oh, btw, I'll be looking for coders around January!!!!

Well, when you are, look me up. I will be waste deep in xml and whatever else I can extract *legally* out of the demo files. 8)

Is XML difficult or simple? From what i gather it is not difficult but i could be wrong...

Best way to describe XML is that it is a very good standard for holding information, but how complex or deep that information is is up to the creator of the file.

It is also helps alot if it is formated well, but that is just like HTML, or any other scripting or programming language for that matter.

C++ can be written virtually all on one line if the given line is long enough, but makes it hard to debug. That kind of thing.

Get some fighters and target the shields and bomb it. Bye Bye.

lol, yeah, right. :D

It took anywhere from half a dozen to 2 dozen Mon Cal ships blasting everything they had on the Executor for a good few minutes before the shields failed at 1 place, and you say a couple of fighters has the same amount of firepower as several Mon Cals? :D

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Hmm... How unbalancing would a fully equipped SSD be in game?

Lets look at some stats from the Warlords mod:

Executor class Super Star Destroyer:

250 Heavy Turbolasers

250 Turbolasers

250 Ion Cannons

Mon Calamari Star Cruiser (MC-80):

48 Turbolasers

48 Ion Cannons

This means that about 10 Mon Calamari Cruisers can tackle an Executor. Just ten 1.2 km long converted space liners could challenge this 19km long behemoth. I'm sure that an SSD would be allot harder to produce and much more expensive then its opposition. Really going to show just how absolutely pointless the craft really is.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke