Rumors of the SSDs involvemnt have been false.

Vader89

I was just checking those forums (and that rare cause they suck) but a member is claiming that his Mod team was informed by Petro. check it out....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=153391

Wheter its true or not is up to you, it makes me a little happier until i realize its from lec then i go back to normal...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I hear one more rumor that the Executor may or may not be in the game... Would it really matter whether or not if its in game? I mean, even if it wasn't in game it'd be one of the first units to be modded in. Come on now, what everyone just wants this thing to be is an ISD +5, which it really wasn't by most accounts. I really cannot see the Executor class SSD as an important unit in game, just a waste of time and resources. Wow, you got a big *** unit that you canceled 2 ISDs and a wing of fighters for... Oooops!! Ambush! Its gone now... Judging by a couple of threads in Lucas Arts and the one here, its also going to make at least a volcal minority want a counter rebel super star destroyer type thing. "OMG!!11! Thats so unfare!1! Y cant teh rebs get a big destroyer, its so un-balancing!!11!" More I hear about how this ship should be in game, the more I hate the bloody thing. :evil: Almost as bad is the B-wing and TIE Interceptors, be I can see those as being useful in game.

The whole point of the SSD is that it is too expensive and not practical. It’s like owning a 60ft yacht. Wouldn't a 40tf have done? It’s a display of power and threat rather than practical. And THAT is what the empire is all about. Control through fear. Thus, that is what star wars is half about.

But I must say that I fear that might be the last time we here from whatever poor bloke posted that info, he will likely disappear in the night and turn up down river several days later. And the LEC moderators, likely to loose their pinky fingers. Imagine trying to type a capital mid sentense? Oh well.

Can we unlock the topic in which we were discussing the SSD specifications please? The need for the discussion seems to have returned. Thank you here

Yea I agree, they shouldn't lock threads unless it involves flaming or inappropriate subjects. If a discussion has stopped it will sink to the bottom, we shouldn't be forced to end it. Who knows, maybe new info will arise and this discussion will start back up.

I was a bit confused as to who "we" was in regards to no longer needing that topic since it seemed to be one of the most active at the time. Maybe we can cut and paste the last few posts into a new thread since it had turned off topic anyway.

Btw, anybody know where my post on about censorship on this thread went? It seems to have vanished. Server error perhaps.

If I hear one more rumor that the Executor may or may not be in the game... Would it really matter whether or not if its in game? I mean, even if it wasn't in game it'd be one of the first units to be modded in. Come on now, what everyone just wants this thing to be is an ISD +5, which it really wasn't by most accounts. I really cannot see the Executor class SSD as an important unit in game, just a waste of time and resources. Wow, you got a big *** unit that you canceled 2 ISDs and a wing of fighters for... Oooops!! Ambush! Its gone now... Judging by a couple of threads in Lucas Arts and the one here, its also going to make at least a volcal minority want a counter rebel super star destroyer type thing. "OMG!!11! Thats so unfare!1! Y cant teh rebs get a big destroyer, its so un-balancing!!11!" More I hear about how this ship should be in game, the more I hate the bloody thing. :evil: Almost as bad is the B-wing and TIE Interceptors, be I can see those as being useful in game.

Blasphemy!!

Seriously though, I assume that the SSD be at least somewhat worth the while. It's probably going to be like the galactic equivalent to the Chinese Overlord Tank. Really big and clunky, but oh so worth it! Plus, we have no idea how well-armed Petro is going to make it. They may just arm it to the teeth and make it impervious to all but the largest Rebel offensive, or the most cunning sabotage.

And I hope that that Rebel minority stays that way. People need to understand that the Imps have all the big guns for a reason. It's equally that way to bring out the Rebels' strengths, as well - namely, their more pronounced stealth and espionage advantages.

ok SSD is still considered a rumor since its only been mentioned by Alucard but that might be just a thing to mess with out heads. Remember when I posted pictures about a SSD picture from Homeworld 2 ? It was a prank and it fooled 5 people. If it was emailed and i'm not saing it was but if it was it might of just been another prank just to stir up trouble. Now if you find a picture or video of it in there then you can discuss but until then all your going to be talking about is statistics so i'll lock it. Just trying to control rumors so.......

:arrow: Ohhh - I'm going to open this topic if you guys want to talk about this "rumor" / there is no chance that we can stop it now - but at least we can say that we tryed. But at least it should remain officialy a "rumor" until a picture is shown.

:arrow: Try to avoid polemics ...just that. Cheers.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

My mother always told me to avoid discussing polemics and politics, she called them peepee and said never pee on anybody it will only get them angry. Thank you for unlocking this Cain.

Im moving this over from the other thread that was locked (I hope that is ok with everybody - modified it to support "The SSD is only a rumor" theory) I put together some numbers to show how strong the SSD is actually suposed to be. Far more than 2 ISD + Fighterwing.

They never build it properly to scale. They don't even know what the proper scale is to begin with. In rebellion it was about twice as big as an ISD. I suspect Petro were to put it in game, it would be about 3-4 times the size (Or about 1/3 of what it should be). There are limitations to system requirements. If it were actual size, the model itself would have to give up a lot of detail.

I would say if the SSD made it into the game, it would definitely not be as big or as powerful as it is on all the statistical records.

The RPG accounts say that the SSD has 250 turbolasers, heavy turbo lasers, ion cannons and missile tube. These numbers are based off of the miscalculation of the ships length, meaning the actual numbers should be about 3-4 times that many.

But we’ll use Starwars.com’s as the official numbers. They have the SSD length at 19k meters. Weapons: 350 Heavy, 350 Regular, 250 Ion, 250 Missile Tubes.

They have the Mon Cal 80 listed at 1.2k meters. The weapons are generally listed at: 0 Heavy, 48 Regular, 20 Ion.

The MC80 has 3 times the shield generators, though each is weaker than an ISDs.

I’ll have to go back to the RPG for the shields: SSD= 96000, MC80 3840(x3=11520) And the damage of Heavy vs Regular TB at 10/7. (Though I suspect the Heavy is more than 45% more powerful than a regular)

SSD Shields: Approx 8 times a MC80 (Being generous with the backups)

SSD Weapons: Approx 22 times that of a MC80

On paper I would say one SSD could take on at least 10 MC80s, more likely about 14-15. A far cry from rebellion, in which I think 3 MC80s would match a SSD. (Though I haven’t played in awhile, maybe it was stronger than that)

You guys will get the chance to ask about the SSD at the upcoming live chat on October 28th

DMUK

The Lucasfan Network

www.lfnetwork.com

Empire At War - the new RTS

www.empireatwar.net

Star Wars Battlefront. Real online SW gaming

www.swbattlefront.net

Creative? Show off your creations at the only officially endorsed Lucasarts Mod/download site

www.lucasfiles.com

Live The Saga: Star Wars Galaxies

www.swgalaxies.net

The weapons count of the Executor is a gross understatment to put it mildly.

The amount of guns that is said to be on the Executor is too far spread out to give propper coverage.

Curtis Saxton has studied pictures he has taken of the modell of the Executor, and counted the bumps on it, which is about the same size as 1 of the Imperator class' 8 eight gun batteri turrets. He came to the conclution, if those bumps truly represent a heavy 8 gun turret battery, that there are around 616 of them covering the surface of the Executor. And that's just of the really heavy kind of guns.

How many turbolasers, lasercannons (if any), and ion cannons there are on it is anyones guess really. But if you multiply the amount found on an Imperator class with 77 (616 \ 8 = 77) I don't think you would be too far off. :)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

I agree. I was ussing numbers that can't be disputed. Like I said, I suspect the real numbers are much higher as well. But even with dulled down number of guns and a gracious 3X shields for the Mon Cal, it still is 10-15X more powerful. If I were to make a blanket guess, I'd day an SSD could take out about 30 Mon Cals, but that would be very hard to deal with in game.

I do however think it can be given the stats I suggested. As powerful as 15 Mon Cals and Expensive as 20? As long to build as 25?

At the moment it is myself, Alucard, Cain and it has been sent back to Mike for analysis. Some heads may roll over this topic.

This topic will be closed to prevent any more Petroglyph secrets from being spilled!!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the long lapse in posting. We’ve been crunching like maniacs to get the game complete and polished. But let me tell, the game is looking and playing SWEET! Moving forward, I’m going too make it a point and visit at least twice a week. This way I can keep you guys updated and dispel rumors. =)

Now onto the SSD!!! =)

Because EAW adheres to Star Wars lore (3 years pre Episode 4 – Battle of Yavin) the SSD (Super Star Destroyer), more specifically, the Executor is not present in our game. The Executor did not come off the assembly line until sometime between episodes 4 & 5. With that said, it does not mean it couldn’t make it into the game down the road for multiplayer or future expansions. With that said, you will have access to Imperial Star Destroyers which are very powerful and require a lot of attention to bring down. Of course if you’re Rebels and have some Alliance Assault Frigates MK II and Mon Cals handy, you’ll give the Imperials a run for their money. =)

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much said about the units, missions, upgrades and abilities in our game. I do apologize for this, but I guarantee that it will change very shortly. =)

Thanks for all the support guys! Patience, more info is on the way.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com