The hated topic : SSD - Super Star Destroyer

Cain

:arrow: All of us remember that this topic was all over the LEC forums to our horror :) anyway my intuition is telling me that the SSD will be in the game.

:arrow:The question is : What do you think Petroglyph's Designers will design to be the SSD oponent on the rebel side ?

http://www.swrebellion.com/hosted/cain/Previews/9991.JPG

:arrow: I don't think they will take the SWR Bulwark Battleship and put in EAW - so they probably designed a new ship on paper and will add it one day soon.

:arrow: I don't think that with the DS and SSD on the Imperial side they will let the rebels will no super big ship - its not their stile.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think they might add it in like a midget like ships but still big enough. Or maybe the size of 3 Star Destroyer lengths. Size doesn't have to be perfect and that should solve the size of it :roll:

Counter to the SSD? Overwhelming cost... Lose even one or two of these things and your going to be hurting for the rest of the game. Really, if you had the choice between (maybe) four ISDs or 1 SSD what would you go for? Personally I'd go for the ISDs since I tend to like to have at least numerical supiriorty and mobility.

I really don't know what the ships are going to be like, ever since I saw the stats for the Mon Cal and ISD (A Mon Cal has more firepower than an ISD?!?! WTF!!!) I really have no clue anymore. Also the Lancer/Carrack/Dreadnought things are a tad confusing. Maybe the rebs will get something, maybe not.

First off i want to thank you cain for getting some new threads up here, i was about to do the same thing cause i was sick of arguing of the whole decimator thing.

Anyways to the point. I dont know if the rebels will get a super big ship, i doubt it perhaps a very fast frigate or cruiser that we havent seen yet, cause we still havent seen the SSD of course if it isnt in the game it will be a major disapointment. Although as mentioned above the whole price thing is a major concer, i dont really care i'll still build alot of SSD's.

Maybe the Alliance will get the MC90 or the Star Defender or the Republic cruiser or the Republic Star Destroyer. At the moment we can only speculate that there will indeed be the SSD anyway and its overall role. I think there will only be one per fleet MAX as they are Command ships!!
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Well, hopefully thats NOT the case, i know your a Rebel fan so when your fighting the computer i dont think you'll have to worry about it. I pray we can build as many as we want! Even though that wont be very many cause they'll be ridiculously expensive.

Counter to the SSD? Overwhelming cost... Lose even one or two of these things and your going to be hurting for the rest of the game. Really, if you had the choice between (maybe) four ISDs or 1 SSD what would you go for? Personally I'd go for the ISDs since I tend to like to have at least numerical supiriorty and mobility.

I agree. Numerical superiority provides strategic flexibility. Definitively more my style too.

ever since I saw the stats for the Mon Cal and ISD (A Mon Cal has more firepower than an ISD?!?! WTF!!!)

Where did you see that??? This is completly ahistorical, based on the SW universe

Things are not as they seem,

nor are they otherwise

I think in the SWR stats the MC cruiser has in total more weapons however they are not all as powerfull as the SD's Weapons. The MC has a greater Laser Cannons to Turbolaser ratio than the ISD.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

I agree, SSD's should cost a bit more, but be able to build as many as u can afford, providing u meet the build requirements (example, requiring kuat and fondor systems)

As for a counter, the MC90 would be nice. It's not huge, but it's a powerful crusier, capable of matching Imp Star Duces, and in numbers, counter SSD's. I agree it's not "rebel" to have huge ships, like the SSD, at least not in this time period. Even when i'm rebels, i'd be fun to challage an SSD with MC80's and 90's and fighters. Very star warsy. And would be very fun 8)

-You seem to have an over developed sence of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble some day.

SWEAW Petroglyph Fan Forums

Click for EaW Countdown Timer!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/Foshjedi2004/Empire.jpg

Heck even if they put in the Bulwark Battlecruiser an SSD could still beat the crud out of it, I mean the Bulwark Battlecruiser is obsolete, smaller, and less well armed. So what if the Rebels had a couple, they still aren't the uber powerful SSDs, and who says you have to play the Rebels the way the rebels fought, you could mix combat styles after all.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Well the Rebels could imply that the empire is compensating for somthing by building huge ships and the Empire could destroy them saying "No we're not."

For me a high cost with the restriction of one per force but having as many as you can scatttered across the galaxy would be cool enough for me.

The Ion Cannon could work wonders too.

Alienware PC: 6000 galactic credits

DSL: 26 galatic credits

EaW: 50 galatic credits

Watching Darth Vader get eaten by Rancor because you never told him to move away and then throwing your computer out the window yelling NOOOOOOOO in your best Vader voice: Priceless

If Petroglyph decides that the SSD is a hero unit, then its counter could be The Rogue Squadron. The Rogue Squadron would be a hero unit for the Rebels. The Rogues would always be seen in groups of three or in five fighters. Again, unlikely, but I would like it.

Edit: Well, maybe they would not exactly be the counter of SSDs, but the best resistance to it that the Alliance has.

Go Leafs go!

Just becuase its RTS doesn't mean the rebels need the same ship to counter it. Quite the opposite in fact. All the rebels need is a few Mon Cals and some fighter squadrons to take the beast down. Fighters to take out hardpoints while the ships are used as decoys. Once the shields are gone its bye bye.

I don't see why people like copy-and-paste balancing so much.

I don't see why people like copy-and-paste balancing so much.

Thats so they don't have to think on how to deal with the problem, its already laid out for them. Also its ensures "balance" in game if you have two sides that are basiclly the same.

See, thats a common mis-conception. A lot (if not all) RTS aren't really strategy, they're tatical games. Strategy is laying down an over-all war plan, setting up points to attack/defend, over seeing troop and supply movements and pretty much trying to make the war machine run as smoothly as possible. You don't handle individual battles, thats for your commanders to do.

And really, I'm not for cookie cutter teams either because it gets boring really quick. Starcraft probably did the best job (of all the games I played) creating distinct teams and yet be mostly balanced. As for this game... I'll have to wait for more details to come out. They

should be two completely different sides, but it may not work out that way. I mean, look at these new units that are appearing, do we know what they do exactly? Heck the rebs may get a unit that can counter a SSD (if its in game) in one fell swoop, we really don't know.

Tactically and strategically the 2 sides should play differently and not be cookie-cutter sides like you said.

Lets see, how differently will both sides actually play...

The Imperial get larger capital ships, and the Rebels get better intelligence and starfighter designs, does that make it so one side plays differently from another? No, it doesn't.

In a combat engagement between a standard imperial Task Force and rebel Task Force (MC80 + 3 Fighter Squadrons + Support ships vs. ISD + 6 Fighter Squadrons + Support ships) both sides really end up playing the same, they send fighters against fighters, bombers against caps, and caps against caps.

In the strategic setting both sides can conduct hit and run, both sides can assault a planet, and both sides need planets to gather resources to build ships to assault more planets... Sure the rebels may lean toward hit and run, and the imps may lean toward assault, but thats just tactics and tactics can be used by both sides. Heck an Imperial Star Destroyer can be just as or more effective at hit and run attacks as a Mon Cal Cruiser.

The only way massive differences in play between the sides will occur is if the Rebels are forced to use smaller amounts of units then the imps and can aquire resources from imperial worlds (Smuggling) so that they don't have to occupy large swaths of the galaxy. Neither of these is going to happen I think.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Actually an ISD is more efficient as equipped with Defenders or Interceptors and Bombers an ISD would woop the Rebels as the Bombers can launch missiles at the fighters with the interceptors closely following it.