The hated topic : SSD - Super Star Destroyer

Cain

A lack of Interceptors, B-wings, and Defenders could just mean we're seeing footage earlier on than when any of that is developed. It could just be they havent showed any footage from the Return of the Jedi porition of the war.

The Super Star Destroyers were meant to be sector command ships. They werent meant to be built in mass but they were more or less factored to be the flagship of entire Imperial naval groups, while the Death Stars were designed to command entire portions of the galaxy. I mean, honestly, the Empire by no means was small. It encompased hundreds of worlds, trillions of citizens, resources and building techniques no one has ever explained..technically there are three Death Stars, one prototype, one fully constructed, one partially constructed. Then you have ships like the Eclispse Star Destroyer..which from the source books could single handedly take on an entire Republic fleet by itself.

If the SSD is expensive, than so be it. I'm pretty sure the Imperial player will be able to buck the cost, and the upkeep easily.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the two Eclipse class and I think four Soveriegn class SSDs... Mmmmmm... Super laser fun. I rather have those than the Executor class, for they can be effective command vessels and kick rebel arse single handely. Not to mention they have a fairly constant and un-changing discription, where the Excutor class description has changed at least 3 times and some theory suggest there is no Excutor class, but a bunch of similarly shaped (and sometimes sized) ships. There are so many consistancy problems with these ships... And I still can't see a pratical use for them, unless they give some great fleet bonuses.

The lancer frigate I believe will be replaced by that Carrack/Dreadnought/Lancer thing. As for the fighters... Well we can mod them in.

Guest JediIgor

Modding is never out of the question, but I would like my $50 to be spent on something that at least truly depicts the movies (by including the SSD, TIE Interceptor, B-Wing) before I try spending my time modding in more things!

On the other hand, while I hope the Imps get an SSD, I hope the Rebs don't :).

Modding is never out of the question, but I would like my $50 to be spent on something that at least truly depicts the movies (by including the SSD, TIE Interceptor, B-Wing) before I try spending my time modding in more things!

On the other hand, while I hope the Imps get an SSD, I hope the Rebs don't :).

JediIgor, why on earth would the rebels get a SSD. The rebels never believed in one thing to show off their might. That would lead to corruption and systems similar to the Empire. Although they had a number of SSDs in their possesion: Lusaynka, Guardian, Indomitable, most of them and the Sovereigns were all scrapped to ensure that one person did not control such a massive array of weapons.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

I think maybe the SSD can be avalable to you only after your income is very good then its research will become avalible and it may cost 1/3 of what a Death Star will cost, so people won't build a huge super fleet of SSD's, instead maybe 2, 3 or 4.

and if there is unit moral, maybe make the SSD a large moral booster for the empire and strike fear into the enemy and causing a few of them to even retreat.

I strike again!

Well, for consistency's sake, they'd better have an SSD. If the Rebels get Calimari Cruisers, that must mean that EaW (whether the creators are fluent in the SW universe or not) features some time after Episode IV, because the Calimari didn't revolt against Imperial occupation (promptly offering their ships to the Rebel cause) until after the Death Star was blown up. Since this goes past the Episode IV timeline, SSDs must be a part of that too, since everyone saw the Executor in # V.

SSD's should and hopefully will be in along with B-Wings, Interceptors and the like. I think there should Definitely be some Lancer Frigates in there cause they are the most efrfective at taking out the reb's superior Fighters. But what about the bulwark battle cruiser, i have read that it is more powerful than an SSD, is this true?

Thanks Fosh i thought that was off, i guess the damn books wrong, oh well, more reason for me to be the Empire. Hopefully i'll get SWR within the next few days.

I'd be greatly surprised, really greatly even, if the super star destroyer isn't included... it's one of the most popular starships from the whole star wars galaxy, it's impossible to include the 'oldie' victory destroyers and so on and then skip the mother of all capital battleships... The only question is whether it will be buildable or only available as a special appearance Hero ship. I'm inclined to think the latter, as the Executor from Ep.V-VI is made to look pretty unique, Vader's personal command ship.

On the issue of size discrepancies, yes, there are several classifications of what a Super Star Destroyer is. The most original, from Empire Strikes Back, where by literally comparing the established 1600m long ISDs with the looming giant they're shown patrolling, we arrive at something in the 19,5 km range. This has been backed up by some EU stuff, but some say this was only the Executor's size, not the 'usual' SSD, which is usually listed at 8km long. Then there are all sorts of huge villain megaships that fall under the SSD category, such as the command ships from the Jedi Knight games, and then ships such as the Eclipse and Sovereign Destroyers can be viewed as SSDs, while their superlaser abilities might beg a different classification...

INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER!!!

The Executor-class Stardestroyer (super stardestroyer) was only 8km. It was 5 times the length of an Imperial Star Destroyer.

The Sovereign is 12km and the Eclipse was 18km. The Sovereign and Eclipse are not normal ships they are Superweapon Platforms built around the SSD.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

The Executor-class Stardestroyer (super stardestroyer) was only 8km. It was 5 times the length of an Imperial Star Destroyer.

The Sovereign is 12km and the Eclipse was 18km. The Sovereign and Eclipse are not normal ships they are Superweapon Platforms built around the SSD.

From the official site:

The size of a Super Star Destroyer has vacillated in numerous publications, starting with an eight-kilometer length in 1984's A Guide to the Star Wars Universe. The latest measurements peg the craft at about 12,800 meters. The miniature used for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi was 282 centimeters long.

and it does look bigger than 5 star destroyers.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/zs/tesb/exechoth4.jpg

From the official site:

The size of a Super Star Destroyer has vacillated in numerous publications, starting with an eight-kilometer length in 1984's A Guide to the Star Wars Universe. The latest measurements peg the craft at about 12,800 meters. The miniature used for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi was 282 centimeters long.

that thing is purdy

Its a trap! -Admiral Ackbar

From the official site:

Oh come on, you guys know very that if they include the SSD they will make it micro machine size, more bigger that the regular star destroyer, but smaller. The fact of the matter is that the SSD have to be on the game, it is a must. Also the empire needs a fighter that can match the a-wing on speed, like the tie interceptor.

Of course it'll have to be micro sized and I was on my way to mentioning that but you hinted on that.

Well seeing as how you can change the scale it doesn't bother me and a micro SSD doesn't bother me. It could be the length of 2 SD end by end and thats no problem from what I can tell the map is big enough for that, True scale isn't everything.

It would be nice if it was true size but also it'd be way to big,. In SWR it is about 2.5 times the size of a standard ISD, but packs a whole lot more! :twisted: