Rebellion 2008: Remake of a new Source Engine.

Slocket

Thx for the informations.

I am eager to see how you progress :)

Until you not decide for 100% the resolution of the game - throughout testing, i will not remake any character picture.

But if you will make the planet window, i can set the right size of the pictures.

Btw, i want to make a list with the imperial and rebel characters, to can decide how much persons to put in the game.

I think we should allow characters from the New Hope until the Thrawn Era, and maybe after Thrawn...

This thing is also must be decided.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started playing Rebellion again recently and am so glad to see a project like this in the works. Thank you Slocket, and those helping, for working on this. I will try to do my best to help test each release.

One question/request. Are you planning on making everything widescreen friendly (particularly the command center)? It would be great to potentially open 3 windows side by side or just one or two and still be able to keep an eye on the GID. If widescreen capabilities are beyond the scope of the project, it would be preferable for the main windows aspect ration to be locked.

I just started playing Rebellion again recently and am so glad to see a project like this in the works. Thank you Slocket, and those helping, for working on this. I will try to do my best to help test each release.

One question/request. Are you planning on making everything widescreen friendly (particularly the command center)? It would be great to potentially open 3 windows side by side or just one or two and still be able to keep an eye on the GID. If widescreen capabilities are beyond the scope of the project, it would be preferable for the main windows aspect ration to be locked.

Very good question, this version works on ALL screens. I wish everyone had or has a wide screen since it would have made it much easier to navigate the Galaxy with more windows. But when I started this, two years ago, I went for a compromise more or less 4:3 since it will play on older screens and new one. The original art work is 4:3.

But for the future, much easier to do once all code has been written, together with others talent in C+ Using Dark GDK it will be made for 9:16 screens only and a much more sleek GUI can be made. But that is in the future.

The game is best played by default in the Window Mode ON. You can stretch the window bigger vertical or horizontal just like any window, and move it around on the wide screen. If window mode if off, the game does not support ALT-TAB.

Always need testers! THX :wink: The game is only bug free as much as testers can find quirks that do not show up for me on my particular computer setup.

look a new version

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27919&p=545380#p545380

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7986/rebstrat0001.th.jpg

Next I am adding in characters and missions, plus new planet side artwork, and a basic AI to play against using your characters only. 8)

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8298/nebulonbmirsst.th.png

A new model found, a Nebulon B Frigate spotted off Mrisst in the Fakir sector.

Very good, now the planets have support indicators.

That Nebulon-B looking very nice.

Becouse i am playing now with the Empire at War, what do you think, would be somehow possible to import EAW ship models into your game ?

Yet i didn't had time to begin to make a list with the possible heroes/characters list.

Nah, the EaW models looks often undersized. Unless they are resized, they would not correspond. I especially don't like the Imperial Star Destroyer models, which looks just plain wrong. The models on this website are way better, in my opinion (though they have their problems too, unless these problems are strictly linked to the engine....)

Maybe they are undersized, but this was mainly the programmers fault.

Ex : Ackbar's flagship was very little compare to the ISD's, but in the Forces of Corruption this was solved, now the ship is very big, twice of an ISD.

Im my Rebellion MOD, i've changed the ship's original models to new ones from here.In Rebellion sometimes this thing causing problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I changed the game to 1920*1080 resolution. that is the gold standard once this is finished. Now I can go to town with the graphics and a half detailed universe. I basing off three maps I have found, they kind of agree, there is no agreement at all in X-Y detail, so I will wing it. You guys can make changed with the editor if I get planets or sectors screwed up.

As for sectors, her is no limit on how many now, plus I also changed to code so you can have from ONE planets to whole bunch in any given Sector independently. It will auto scale when you open that sector's window. The true co-ordinates will be for real on the galaxy star map.

So you are not stuck with exactly 10 planets per sector, easier to emulate the true universe. Though I would not go above 14 planets in a given sector for displaying the new extra shipyard, troop, construction Icons next to the planet. It shows shields/double shielded, and laser batteries at a glance. For now I have 300 planets total, but that is not the hard limit. That should make for an interesting long game.. 8)

Three maps for source are Dark Horses, Hages, and Modi. I have to combine them for some consensus.

Mulling over new option feature to add hyperspace lane effect. If you are traveling along near one your speed is much faster, but you can still go anywhere at any time, just a lot slower. The hyperspace trade lanes will be the cannon six lanes or so I see on the map. Such Corellian Run, Parlemian Way, Hydian Highway, etc.. Just be aware if you are near an enemy planet along one of these hyperplane trade routes, and the enemy has an interdictor ship or or planetary gravity well generator, you can be knocked out of hyperspace and feel the pain. :mrgreen:

That all sounds really good and exciting. Glad to hear your going for high res widescreen. I also love the idea of hyperspace lanes, so long as there aren't too many of them and there are potential risks or reasons not to use them. I like the idea that you could be detected or intercepted if using the lanes. As with all new features, it would be able to turn off/on the lanes when first starting a new game. I really like the idea of being able to play the original game with much better graphics.

When can we expect the next demo?

Yes, I am adding them in, Chriss, hapes, Jovent, etc. :) Funny there is no one map that depicts the SW galaxy in agreement at all, so I guess I will take some liberty and follow DarthTex's lead with very good rendering with 200 planets and 20 sectors, I just bumped that up to 30 sectors and 300 planets. I changed the code so you can have any number of sectors, and any number of planets 1 to 14 for space (there is no maximum just room to show icons)max per sector. not just 10 exactly.

The galaxy can be made any way you want. the first two was the original vanilla map, core with outer rim 20/200, then cannon style like the real SW galaxy 30/300. Peeps can place the planets and sectors where ever they want. I like the idea of limited hyper space lanes for fast travel especially on big maps. For my version, you can always hyper jump any where. It is just faster if you follow the trade lanes, at the risk it entails, or benefits of the much faster speed. it is not hard to code it in at all, and it is an option to turn on/off. rez bumped to 1920*1080 a week if all goes well to show the new rez and map. New detail factory icons around planets, then build menus the next week after.

the last one had six sectors The Core, not four like the first one, there has been two updates in the first link. The next will have about 300 planets and as many sectors it takes, 30 or so. All the planet art is not done, but I am going to assign random pics from the 80 pictures I have.

so 9 core world sectors, 21 rim sectors. Later those will be (deep, core, colony, expansion, mid, outer, wild).

• 1 month later...
Fine, I took some time off for PT. I am making it revamp to pure wide screen 1080 monitors and graphics. Solves a lot of the GUI layout problems and better display of planet information. I did not realize a problem with displaying two planet level surfaces in the same sector. So I am making the window pop up somewhat like a zoom in function when placed over a sector. Similar to a magnifying glass. semi-2D-3D look and feel

• 2 weeks later...
I am not able to use the map editor as well as I'd like. Could you help me out? I am currently making my own star wars galaxy in rebellion and would like to do-it with your engine, but cant seems to get to it...

• 2 months later...

Good news and 100 dollars to get Game Studio . It is more like C language and does a lot more than DB. I am converting the code over for it. Should not take long. I need to be able to use Windows Native API win32 lib to do thing such as real scroll windows text display and to display list of information easier ( plus 'radio' buttons etc). I do not wish to remake DARK WINDOWS from scratch, it took MS decades to make theirs. So this engine should and does have those nice functions in it. That was my impasse.

Phidevil...I am making the planet and galaxy mapper a whole lot easier to use now ( and more pretty user friendly), that I have a more advanced gaming engine and script language. You can see the full code open source, just modify if you wish, then compile with their free GameStudio A8 version. I think you guys will really like what is coming up. I was off for 3 months due to the Floods here in the Midwest Iowa Missouri river.

Script is lite C and can be done with MS free Visual C++ 2008 compiler. Lite C is just a kindergarten version of full C++ for nubs like me :mrgreen: after two years of programming. A person needs this unless you spend 4 years in college learning Direct X hard core programming. This product does that for me but has the detail and power to the low level stuff.

That is a planetary landing assault, very crude, to show it can be done. I need a Lambda Shuttle model! plus some storm trooper models. The new engine is much easier to work with. C language is more powerful than BASIC. Here is a space side picture. This is from a working demo of the Tactical Engine side of the game.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/396/reb2tactical.th.png

Hoth on Patrol

I want to give a demo soon with a space battle so you can look around. I release them , so you can try them and make sure they work on your computer. Made for 1080 monitors, but you can set resolution by F5 key button by default or use ALT-ENTER to go to window mode. I did a tactical demo using Dark Basic three years ago, but I like this new Game Studio 3D engine better. :D

I really need feedback to see if people still have an interest in this game being remade and fully modifiable all the way. You can see the script language and change every line of code. The basic compiler and engine is a FREE download. :P

I wish I had toys and tool like this when I was growing up years ago....much faster to remake the game now. Wow. I am excited!!!

In the demo, a VSD will show up and blast the corvette away.

That is a planetary landing assault, very crude, to show it can be done. I need a Lambda Shuttle model! plus some storm trooper models. The new engine is much easier to work with. C language is more powerful than BASIC. Here is a space side picture. This is from a working demo of the Tactical Engine side of the game.

Lambda's a little classic and not the better Vessel for planetary assault. How about the Sentinel or the Delta DX-9? If you don't have the models, PM me an e-mail and I'll send you the files ;)

I want to give a demo soon with a space battle so you can look around. I release them , so you can try them and make sure they work on your computer. Made for 1080 monitors, but you can set resolution by F5 key button by default or use ALT-ENTER to go to window mode. I did a tactical demo using Dark Basic three years ago, but I like this new Game Studio 3D engine better. :D
Sure, go ahead, this is going to be good!

I really need feedback to see if people still have an interest in this game being remade and fully modifiable all the way. You can see the script language and change every line of code. The basic compiler and engine is a FREE download. :P
By all means, there is interest, still gotta know if there's gonna be time though!

I wish I had toys and tool like this when I was growing up years ago....much faster to remake the game now. Wow. I am excited!!!
So am I!

In the demo, a VSD will show up and blast the corvette away.

In the words of James Hetfield: Oh yeah? Oh yeah?!!!!

I sent my e-mail . Can I ask, where and how do you get those models extracted from Warlords or Phoenix mod? I can really use models peeps would let me use. I am limited to what I have. A decent ATR trsnsport landing would look really nice!

Im definately still interested in seeing rebellion being remade, I only wish that I could help be apart of this remake...but I have no skills capable of being assistance lol. I have always loved this game, and still play it now and again. Iv been watching the forums, looking for your updates, the pics u put up look cool. I think we can all say, as fans of this old classic, we appreciate what ur doing an the time ur putting into this. Keep up the great work

Thanks for the kind words. :D

You can help! You can test the demos as they are released and see if it run on your computer; such as resolutions, keyboard mouse movements, crashes. Beta testers are very important. Check back here or the other "Demo release" thread to see releases. This is not a complete game yet, these are just Code parts of the full game being made make sure they work.

This one in particular is the new Game Studio A8 engine with C language script. I am a bit confused by the lite-C language it uses, but I am learning fast!

Thank you for the interest and help! I am still slogging along, many have quit sadly, feedback (positive or negative) is very important for moral. We work for free. :mrgreen:

Oh yes, tell your friends and spread the good word a new 3D real strategy space game is coming. :wink:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8214/threeamigos.th.png

Three Amigos

Planet Mrisst, because we like a fair fight.

@MrPhildevil thanks for sending the models, I will try them out and place a photo ASAP. :P