Rebellion 2008: Remake of a new Source Engine.

Slocket

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you sent up pictures in plain jpg or bmp the game uses so I can see them? I cannot get RebEd to function correctly on my new computer. I cannot see the rcc resource. I am sure the pictures will work. Simply re size and place into the picture folder in Rebellion Remake. I am not encrypting them into the executable, so they will simply appear in game. There is no limit on recruiting total number of characters right now. I figure 60 would be plenty for now. I would like some characters to be recruit-able by both sides, and character can be bribed to be traitors too in game, or if they get caught on a mission, or "influenced" by other major characters. Thanks!

Nice idea about the characters to can be bribed or convinced to change side :D

Okey, i will save the pictures from RCC's in that size as they are in the authentic Rebellion game.

Don't forget, these characters are not my high quality characters, they are from Rebellion RELOADED mod.

However, i have my good quality pictures for my planned mod, i can gather them as well, and you will see them too.

Will be good, if i will upload the pictures on 4SHARED site ?

The site is fine for download. You can use the higher resolution pictures since I am where I can. The originals were for a game with only 480*640, this is 1.66x bigger at 1024*768 so I can use that higher resolution. You can download a beta of the GUI over at the other thread for testing.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27919

tell me if the cut scene works, and the default is windows mode which you can stretch to any size h or vertical.

I should say as far as pictures go, I have to re size ALL pictures to make them fit the higher resolution pictures. i hope that makes sense. :) But all the art work is 4:3 and not 9:16 (not yet any way for wide screen monitors which are almost every where by now).

I have here the gathered pictures,you will see several types of pictures, yesterday i've made a selection.

So,if your game will be in 1024*768 resolution, this will mean, that a picture in the old Rebellion wich size is 65x32 - in your game could have (65x32)*1.66 resolution ? (108x53 then ?).

That would be more good, since some pictures simply have a bad color, and is hard to make a good picture for the game, but if the picture is bigger maybe we can se the character well.

Tell me, what the hell is that ARC extention ? :mrgreen:

How i can desarchivate or what i have to do with it to can launch your game ?

I've found a program the PeaZip, i've posted in that forum where can download the file.

Here is the link for the pictures, is compressed with 7zip.

http://www.4shared.com/file/MI2Wccjz/CHARACTERS.html

You will see a guy with cruel face, he is a friend, he should be admiral Thrawn ;) we allready made his face blue :D

It is FreeArc it works really good, though not a popular as 7z. http://www.freearc.org/Download.aspx

You can download it there. it does compression very well better than 7z, but does not do everything 7z can. See if you can unzip it. It works just like any other archiver. Then you simply click on rebellion.exe inside the folder, it is self standing and need no installation.

if you cannot get Free Arc to work for some reason, I can place as a 7z file, though the size will be bigger. and yes, bigger pictures it can handle and makes them look better. The original planets were only 37*37 I use 60*60. Please tell me if you can get it to work, so far no one else has check it out yet...

Here it is in plain old 7z which is more popular.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ecqu6ja4jcuhci7 RebRel000.7z :D

Dark Basic Pro does need DX9 to run. I am a bit behind or older in technology. I do not have a IM Yahoo account (I never used one in my life), or anything like that I am sorry. I am not even on Facebook. :oops:

But you can test it when you can get to a DX9 capable video card windows computer later today. I am here on the forum quite a bit. I have my own computer I can roam with. It will not work on Linux.

I just download your pictures and going to look at them. How many characters should there be per side, and how many can or should be recruitable from both sides, 60 total with 20 side agents? Of course that should be in another thread.

I did not want to deviate too much from the original game, but plenty of gameplay code modding using plain old text script I made myself. Even easier to use than LUA. :D

Well, bad that you doesn't use any chat program, but here we can communicate for sure.

I have to work 4 hours from now, after that at home i will try your program.

About the characters : i think we must have at least 2 fighting characters / system, the rest of the characters should be officers (my oppinion), of course officers could fight too, but with not so high efficiency.

We need also diplomats, and researchers.

I didn't like that too much leadership difference between the imperial and rebel officers.

The difference should be 20 or 30, but not 50, that is too much.

It is possible to insert a new stats for each character ? That should be the incite and subdue revolt skill.

The imperials should have high Subdue Revolt skill, but low incite revolt skill.

The rebels should have inverse :D

It is possible to insert a new stats for each character ? That should be the incite and subdue revolt skill.

The imperials should have high Subdue Revolt skill, but low incite revolt skill.

The rebels should have inverse :D

I agree. Why in the original the Empire get high bonus for both missions since both are controlled by leadership skill which in the vanilla game controls both missions.

I would give an extra hidden bonus to the Rebels for inciting a revolt, and bonus for Empire to put down a revolt. Empire still gets its leadership effect from the Emperor being on his throne, but maybe only 30 instead of 50%.

The hidden bonus for each character can be edited, and it gives each character a bit more RPG. I would like to give some a special skill they could use on missions. I want to show how a major mission turns out in a fight

instead of just a simple after action report, if the player wants to watch it and get involved with missions or ground assaults.

Well, it not must to be hidden, simply must have 2 + stats all characters : incite revolt and subdue revolt.And if a mission is successful, the character receive +1 skill point.

If we have the incite uprising skill at rebel characters, let's tell Mawshiye, his leadership is let's tell 30, wich mean, that he isn't able to lead regiments, or capital ships, but if he have the + skill, the incite uprising, wich will be let's tell 90 or 100, we will be able to put him to lead such missions, and the officers we could keep for leading troops or ships.

In the case of the leadership : well, simply we should set the normal values of the imperials to 70(105)-84(126) or 86(129 or 130).And the rebels should have between 90-100.And if the rebels succeed to capture Palpy, the imperials will be confused, will be disorder, they lost the 50% bonus, and their officers now will have 70-86 leadership , facing the rebels who have 90-100 leadership.

Wich kind of hidden bonus should the characters receive, and how you will be able to present that fight ?

About testing your program : it's doesn't matter if i choose imperial or rebel side, the intro (when you fly with the shuttle) is the same imperial intro both cases.

If i click on the red imperial robot he speech, that is working.

I've found by moving the mouse 2 or 3 systems/sectors, their names only seen if u move the cursor above them.

When you open the sector the window appear but inside i didn't seen any planets...i've seen nothing, but the closing button works.

Any else thing doesn't function, cannot click on personnel, nor at fleet, sistem etc buttons.

When you open the sector the window appear but inside i didn't seen any planets...i've seen nothing, but the closing button works.

Any else thing doesn't function, cannot click on personnel, nor at fleet, sistem etc buttons.

The other buttons are shut off disabled, personnel, fleet, system. I am only testing the main GUI.

You should see ten planets when you click open on the sector window of Slius, Sesweena and Corellian ony. then that is a problem. The other tester seen the planets as shown on the main thread.

Can you show me a picture of the sector open such as Slius and see the ten planets? Are you running Dx9 video (you should or nothing would display.) What operating system, it will not work under Linux or Mac.

Can other tester verify what is happening?

Pea zip, make sure the planet pictures are there inside that folder such as PlanetPic486.bmp Peazip does not unzip correct. Please try the 7z download.

The other buttons are shut off disabled, personnel, fleet, system. I am only testing the main GUI.

-OK, i understand, i've thought that all buttons functioning...

You should see ten planets when you click open on the sector window of Slius, Sesweena and Corellian ony. then that is a problem. The other tester seen the planets as shown on the main thread.

-Well, the galaxy color and gray background doesnt work, i mean, i didnt see the sectors, only if i move the mouse to that place where the sector is located, then i see the sector's name.I didnt see the planets, only the blue background...

Maybe you have right, the decompressing doesnt worked well, now i've downloaded the 7z version, i will try again, but only monday i can communcate the new experiments since at home i didnt have net.

Can you show me a picture of the sector open such as Slius and see the ten planets? Are you running Dx9 video (you should or nothing would display.) What operating system, it will not work under Linux or Mac.

-WIN XP, DirectX 10 i have, i think...

Can other tester verify what is happening?

-Let's ask them :D

Pea zip, make sure the planet pictures are there inside that folder such as PlanetPic486.bmp Peazip does not unzip correct. Please try the 7z download.

-The planet pictures are there, however cannot exclude a desarchiving error.

BTW. did you taken a look on the pictures ? Yesterday i've found a very good picture about Pellaeon, i was happy

(i have tons of SW pictures, only must select the usable ones)

Do you liked the guy who should be Thrawn ? :D

Character pictures look great and you can always place them in the game very simply.

As for your problem with the demo, try not to start GalaxyMapper.exe since that is what places the planets pictures and stars in the universe main interface. If you have the loyalty stars in the correct place, the planets should also be in the correct place plus you should also see their names too. There is a planet order to the sprites that tell it to display in front of the stacking order of the sector background window.

You had right, with the 7z all things worked, i see all systems, and planets inside.

I have two questions : can you modify in the base settings the size of the pictures ? In the base game we have a 61x25 picture.Can you reset these values lets tell to 122x50 ?

The second question is, that you can change the picture's 8 bit quality sistem to 32 bit quality ?

If you could do these changes, would be more easy to make high quality and very good looking awesome pictures for your game.

The pictures I am using are 60*60 at 32 bits color (it never has been 8 bit color) original planet icons were 37*37 pixel 8 bit... You can use larger pictures in other part of the game such as the information panel. Or when you click upon the system level planet icon to get more detail, I am taking a better approach to show the bigger planet picture, ground picture and system assets such as planetary shields, lasers, factories, etc. and combat troops buildings shipyards, Fighter bases, the next layer down further are the individual agent and , characters, spec forces, ground assets, anti-vehicle/personnel blasters, etc. There a nice planet picture in full glory can be placed for each planet. I also have the higher resolution big pictures for those when that planet level is open to display (similar to Master of Orion 2 you can see the planet picture above and enemy ships, star base defenses, ground assets, you can watch a ground assault/bombardment mini-game occur and have some influence on it if you wish to just watch or play it out.).

If you to experiment , just place in a bigger 80* 80 picture in place of one inside the demo, it will display bigger.

Oh yes glad to see you got the demo working better. :D I have a new one coming up later today to fix a possible close sector bug (have you this hard time close the sector window? made a lot of small changes added in Option Main menu hot key and ability to set Loyalty random/manual and ownership before galaxy starts up for a new game or just use the manual settings one you can create using GalaxyMapper editor. Added more stuff you can see in the change log.

That is good that we can insert bigger pictures, and they are in 32 bit, not in 8.

I will try to insert bigger pictures, but first i have to ask you to put at least one character's picture in the game, i mean, i want you to put 1 person at any sector's planet to see how looking. Also i want you to indicate wich picture i have to change to a bigger picture to see the difference between a 61x25x8 bit picture, and a newly inserted 122x50x32 bit picture. (face of any character/person down on a planet)

Yes, it seemed that the window not closing at first click, need to click twice, if i remember well.

I have a question : with wich program i can take screenshots in Rebellion ?

Yesterday i've tried different sized pictures, i've replaced a planet picture.

I've tried a 230x120 picture, that was too big, after that the original 61x25, this was too little, then i've doubled the size 122x50, this also seemed a bit big, then i've tried a 100x40 picture, this seemed to have the perfect size for your game.

I would be grateful, if you would make at least one planet window, to can test better the picture of the characters.

Make let's tell Coruscant to can click on it and to appear an empty window, but put any kind of picture in this window to can change it.

Use IMP22 picture. Rename or convert yours and rename it to IMP22.bmp it is a bitmap. It is about that same rectangle size. If you look, character are going to appear in that square window next to where IMP22 is standing at. The picture is in the folder.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27448&p=545252#p545252

How about can you run 1280*960 resolution? That way I can make planets from 60^ to 75^. Later peeps can replace the 1024*768 artwork that I can stretch out to the ratio of 1.25 bigger as a place holder. You can still set the res in the option.dat to whatever you monitor will support.

IMP22 pic is a good spot to test (200*100) since that is where characters will report in on their missions, and it is the spot where your target will appear when you select a mission. This is to make the game more intuitive and less click fest. Plus it is cool to see your characters show up on the monitor down there in the corner.

Update: Here I stuck a code in so you can place a character picture at 200*100 with a [later use black background is invisible] and the character will more or less show in IMP22 monitor window.

well, here it shows Palpatine...

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6145/agentpic1280960.th.jpg

I didn't know if my monitor will allow the 1280*960 resolution.

The monitor card i have is an NVidia 9500, so it will allow for sure if my monitor supports it.

I see that Palpy picture, but i want to test the 61x25 picture (planet surface and fleet picture of the characters), not the 200x100 (wich you put now).

Dont forget to tell me !, wich program u have used to take screenshots...

I have a program, but doesn't work with rebellion.

I think this resolution is better than the 1024x768, your picture now looking as the rebellion one, i mean the proportion/ratio.

I take a picture of the entire screen use 'print screen' key on the keyboard. Next open your Paint program that comes with all Windows and simply use "CNTRL+V" key combo to paste it into the paint program and save as a bmp image (some allow for jpg or png format).

Finishing up the galaxy core stars and pics, added in hot keys for save game, return to main menu to start, adding in loyalty bars under planets in the sector view. This weekend 2-25-2011

Next weekend 3-4-2011

Then I want to make the Character Missions! It is a good test and easy to do on the 2D screen strategy screen since there is no 3D to contend with. You can do missions and have troops on the planets. I think you will like using your pictures and such here if they have the higher resolution. So there will be a basic AI to have fun with. RPG style. Just no ships or facilities, just Characters and such. Diplomacy, Espionage, Abduction/Assassination, Incite/Subdue Revolts, etc. Characters will fight each other like a card game based "planet scape" for now. Each character has a special ability for fun. You can control manually or auto. :wink:

The hardest part was the initial Interface. How to show 200/300 planets source to target down four levels was a tough choice and hard to program that flipping windows. The rest of the game GUI is going to be MUCH better funtionally and will deviate for the good for selecting your facility, troops, ships , Laser batteries, etc. Plus nice pictures to look at. Each planet will look like a real colony; somewhat similar too, but much better than, what they did in Master of Orion 2, but more control and stuff to do.

Zoom In as was in Sins of a Solar Empire just would not cut it for that much level of depth. Maybe in the future, but for now I went this direction.

Not all planet pics outer rim are done (the Core worlds of the Vanilla game setup ARE done), many are waiting for the public to fill in. I just use a place holder on then for now.

You can make the real SW galaxy too up to 300 planets and 30 sectors using Galaxy Mapper Editor and flipping the background galaxy 180 degrees. DarthTex worked on such a Mod for original game. Would be interesting..