Rebellion 2008: Remake of a new Source Engine.

Slocket

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1180/vsdfire4js2.png

A Sun is Born

800*600 The lower resolution you cannot see the star background. Free hosting loses 4x the pictur quality. I need to get my own website soon!

Added a real 3D Sun. Added Collision detection for models and laser fire bullets. Added basic AI path finding. Learned a whole lot of new stuff. Vector targeting. memory management.

Later after i finish, I am converting this to LUA embedded into VC++ for communtiy usage and moddding.

Stay tuned for REAL good movie in high relolution. Show a battle and decent FX.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! Keep up the good work! :D
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

• 3 weeks later...

10 meg low resolution? somewhat better. Or just download here, if anyone really wants to see it decent.

http://rapidshare.com/files/129498934/Rebellion2008_2008-07-13_14-54-04-71.mpg.html

ThX for reply (did the sound work?), and another update. Almost done with the 3D battle engine. Pretty ships and stuff can be added in later. :D The 2D strategic part will be a piece of cake compared to the 3D work. I added a functional shield and hull readout. More sound, 3D sprite explosions, a glow around the sun. Basic AI path finding. Targeting. Vid is better but still low res due to 3 meg and 20 second limit of free FRAPS. I really need a decent video capture and processor. Fraps runs the movie at half speed for some reason.

Shield hit by Turbo Laser.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7715/15550000ow2.th.png

Shield hit by Ion Cannon.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6314/16200000rz2.th.png

It looks good to me :D The only thing I can say (and I know it's just your initial go at it), is the sprite explosions seem too quick (it doesn't last long enough) and maybe a bit too small (in size). But that's just my opinion, and you can do what you want.

Keep up the good work :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I was looking for a quick flash type explosion similiar to the original game while the shield is still up. In reality, they are just placeholders until a finished game. I have random sprites for a finished game, I have not done the Hull hit sprites (larger to let you know your in trouble), nor Torpedo impact sprites (really nasty big hits). So they will get bigger as your ship is blown away. Capped by a final impressive explosion (with maybe a fading death clone object that last for a while).

The nice thing is you can modify them in the seperate folder that goes along with the EXE quite easy as it ever gets. They are 2-D plane '3D objects' with a transparent sprite billboarded normal vector to the camera. Easy cheap and quick. :) A finished game, people can modify them with what they like.

By changing the sync rate from 60 to 30, the flash will last longer. In game, the YouTube video quality is so bad. The flashes effect really do look cool in quick sucession from multiple hits from several attacks, like 4 on 1. Soon enough, I can release a demo of the battle engine so you can see it more clearly. Have you looked at the FRAP's movie download? It is alot better, but I am still looking for a real video quality software capture program that is decent (and free!).

• 2 weeks later...

In order to be helped to the coding, can you upload your engine, including model files extention used.... I'm not a genius, but I've some knowledge in c, c++. I use visual studio (express version). I use classical libraires for games (open AL, sdl ,dx.....). For models I use C4d, blender and other to convert files, so if you need help I can help you. what extention did you choose for the 3d models?

(sorry if my expression is not great, I'm french...)

Thanks for the information. I never knew exactly that website. The models were made using a free copy of Milkshape converted to X format. The models I have for now are from this very website. The texture maps are in a bin form and I do not know how to get the UV map thingy to work. I guess each triangle would have to be re-mapped back onto the mesh.

The engine is a easy to use DarkBasic Pro. But with all easy to use stuff, it has has some annoying limitations and bugs. It can be written into C++ , then compiled with MS VC 2008 Express edtion free. I sould do that, since most of what I wrote is your basic IF statements, and Timers. OpenAL and OpenGL would have been nice, and they are not that hard touse, but I have no expertise at those freeware tools. I believe just by getting a basic functional game working, then I can go back and convert the code over to something most people are familiar with.

I am going about this in a backward way for development. I can make this rather simple complete game working using the DarkBasic engine. It is quick and fast (but dirty and a bit wonky to work with) it teaches me something about game design and what works and what does not work -a big picture understanding. After that education, I was studying the use of OpenAL for sound , buffers, 3D , the libraries, a more robust and controlled enviroment (plus OpenGl and a more flexable render engine, LUA for modding scripts and data, then convert interpreter engineEXE to C++). I wish sometimes it was 25 years ago when computers really were around, I would have majored in Computer Science instead. :)

But of course any help in the future is welcome...I was busy doing a few other thing IRL right now. My code for DarkBasic looks just like something you would find in BASIC. DarkBasic Pro does allow for it to be written in VC++ and compiled that way to be much faster. It is showcased on MS website. The code I wrote using the DB syntax is not very readable in a sense. I need to clean it up (replacing "object number 3000" with "capitalShipNumber.health"). :|

EDIT:

For 3d models I've found a web site, I suppose you know it.

http://www.scifi3d.com

Models use a lot of memory but I've reduced some of them. Those textures are the best I found for star wars models, but all rebellion ships are not realized. (there is not dauntless, bulvark )

those model are very nice. Are they free? Does the authors wish to get recognizition for their work? Can they bve comverted into Direct X model format? DB will only use X format, unfortunately, not 3DS straight off. Maybe inport the model into say Studio Max then export it into Direct X output? Thanks :P

sci-fi.com: Those models are free for not commercial solution.

For programmaing I pocess VB and a version of dark basic (the name is Game creator pro).... I pocess independant special effects (some about lighting, explosion...) in those languages and they can esaly added in an other program, so if you want I can help you on this point. I will be away from saturday to August 20th. So if you send it during the week I can start to try, or if you publish the work later I will wate. As you Wish

SOrry §I forgot to tell you that you can convert them in x files. but you have to dell some polygons because in .x format, it's exepensive in ressources. But if you donload the .3ds files you can convert them in .x files. A free program (they they that is sharware but it's free)=>accutrans 3d

But be carefoul with .x files, accu trans has two solutions: in binary or an other... I suppose you use binary has the original game but I'd like you to be sure about that

THX. I will check it out. 8) I been thinking about maybe using those free higher polygon ships. I want fewer, but very tough ships. I think for gameplay; military is important but not overbearing. Missions, characters, special forces, esponiagne sobatoge and diplomacy missions really are important. Plus an improved ground and planet defense. Hopefully I can make a basic invasion assault similator to watch (something that was not in the original game).

I want the ships to have more complex systems and firing arcs similiar to Starfleet Battles board game, or Starfleet Command computer game. This way having a more complex ship you do not want them to get destroyed so easy. More tactical decision in battle. I think 100 or 200 capital ships in battle per side for a galaxy of 200 planets (maybe a few sectors more) is plenty. Using about 1000 or 2000 fighters.

But be carefoul with .x files, accu trans has two solutions: in binary or an other... I suppose you use binary has the original game but I'd like you to be sure about that

If you're using DirectX helper classes for loading X files (or if that Dark Basic uses them), it shouldn't matter which format (binary or plain text) you decide to use, both formats are "official".

X File Format Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173014(VS.85).aspx

-rebellion2 enthusiast-

Terra Reconstructed

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, nothing yet. I took a vacation. I am having some problems with my finger nerves from type 2 diabetis. I had to slow down off my computer. Hopefully I will get back to it next month. :(

I used accutrans from above to load the ISD model. I then saved as into folder both direct X formats. Inside that is the isdbump.x with the jpg and bmp pictures for textures, but for some reason Dark Basic will not load the .X model in either format. DB does not give a reason, it compiles OK, but then a run time error upon EXE is started.

I wonder if DB can handle this. Maybe I wil try this other program. It seems that 3ds format is a more modern, compact format for size using jpg and such for smaller memory size. I wonder if Direct X format, the only thing DB will handle even though they claim it will accept 3ds (the website then retracts that statement), is .X data file and BMP only. So if I convert those jpg into BMP...I do not know. Another program convert3ds will do it but only the mesh comes out, it has to be bmp maps.

maybe DB is not very good for handling the superior 3ds format. It would have been nice to see a high detailed textured model in the game using only 1.9 megs of memory. Then again, the original game mission statement was not to be a fancy RTS space shooter, really more of a stragedy game with a half decent 3D battle engine to watch the ship duke it out.

I will keep trying. I need sorely to rewrite and originize my code. I fell into the trap of not doing proper documentation and object oriented class names to keep track of multiple ships, sub systems, turbolaser fire bolts. It is a bit of a mess.

Sorry, nothing yet. I took a vacation. I am having some problems with my finger nerves from type 2 diabetis. I had to slow down off my computer. Hopefully I will get back to it next month. :(

I hope you had a nice vacation Slocket, anywhere interesting? And I do hope your fingers enjoy their break. Don't over do it. Do you have some sort of outline or task list for your program, and what's been accomplished, what's left?

Keep up the good work. Thanks for the updates :D

Yes, I have some test being done. Maybe it is just arthrisis or carpal tunnel. I guess if you type enough, it happens. Thanks for the sentiments. I guess getting older is not so fun sometimes. :|

I am presently re-write the code for several ships at once. I need to think how it will be with multiple ships, which equals "Good logical documentation and Naming Scheme" , something of a discipline of book keeping I need to do to keep thing orginized. Plus making functions to call to simplify reading and calling repeated routines.

Then I can worry about getting more nice textered models into the battle engine. My it really is alot of work, even using as simple engine as DB. I can imagine the work DavidAdis and his team are doing, and Moribundis. To do it correctly for all OS is a big under taking. I can understand why devs really get pee ood at software piracy! It is work.

One thing I wonder about is what exactly should the tractor beam do in game. Should it be more effective than just slowing down a ship? Such as decreasing the targets firing rate? A longer reach to catch one ship at a time better?

I also wanted to experiment later with adding the port and forward side guns do make a difference in the firing arcs, with damage similiar to those old Starfleet Battle games. Nothing too fancy, but more than the original game, would make the tactical battle more "tactical". Ships with more Hull will have more hits by chance than to its guns and recharge rates. Maybe add a warp core for that lucky shot that powers the ship. Adding a crew such as fleet or imperial regiments for pilotimg the ship and storm troopers to guard the ship.

By adding a simple but representative ground battle phase viewer only, the ship in real time could bomb the planet and assault with ships and fleet troop ships. While ground batteries firing upon the invading task force. Would be nice than just a summary page as it is now.

• 2 weeks later...

EvilleJedi's mods for Homeworld 2 are the best source for game-ready Star Wars meshes. I've already done a good deal of the gruntwork converting them into .x format (and trimming the fat on a few) for a now-defunct Space Empires V mod. PM me for details.

I tried to watch your 10MB mpeg video and it crashed Windows Media Player 11, but the Youtube version worked. I would thin and lengthen the turbolaser blasts at some point; they should look more like needles. Overall it looks great. Keep up the good work.

EvilleJedi's mods for Homeworld 2 are the best source for game-ready Star Wars meshes. I've already done a good deal of the gruntwork converting them into .x format (and trimming the fat on a few) for a now-defunct Space Empires V mod. PM me for details.

I tried to watch your 10MB mpeg video and it crashed Windows Media Player 11, but the Youtube version worked. I would thin and lengthen the turbolaser blasts at some point; they should look more like needles. Overall it looks great. Keep up the good work.

THX Noble713, I would be interested. I sent you an PM, but I do not know if the PM system works. I can play the movies on WMP 9, I should check it out by upgrading to WMP 11. Using XP.

I downloaded the Warlords Mod. I need an extractor to look into the .big file. It seems that FinalBIG version 0.4 does not work. At any rate, it seems you did already convert much over to .X format. That is good! I could not get a decent automatic convertor software to do it. If you know how to convert the files over by manually, that is alot of work you did.

Those turbolaser are just plain basic primitive cylinders I threw in there as a place holder. :mrgreen: Indeed, thin out at the ends like a needle and more skinny would look nice. :) I used Milkshape to create via export .X, and those models seem to work fine in DarkBasic's engine. Though DB is rather picky about the .X format to be exact. I could not get the models from scifi.com to work inside it.

The ones in the pictures are from this website for use in the original Rebellion game. Though the original textures will not work, so for now a simple overall basic covering I am using. I would need to make a new UV texture maps.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is nice. :P Here is a capital ship from Noble713 translation work from the EvilleJedi's mods for Homeworld 2.

DB is so picky, but with a little mesh rotation and scaling...is this what it should look like? The ambient light and other things can be adjusted.

Home Again - Imperator

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8461/imperator2db6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...