Fan movie: Thrawn Trilogy

Evaders99

• SWR Staff - Executive

http://createstarwars.org

A group dedicated to making the Thrawn Trilogy into a 3d fan-made movie. I think they can pull it off with the proper screenplay, reducing the tons of material into a plot designed for movie-viewers

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

That is awesome. The only way to make that awesome trilogy into a film would be through computer. Im happy to see such dedicated fans. I cant wait til the first one is complete!

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I find it strange that people can be enthusiastic about this when they're so very critical of George Lucas for his over use of CGI in the prequels. I think the only way to do Star Wars is with models and real actors, none of this computer generated crap. :?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Sadly I don't think you'll find good actors who will work FOR FREE!

Look at all the various fan creations, pretty much all of them have lousy acting. Prop up with a decent plot and kickass graphics, you've made a decent Hollywood movie :)

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

I find it strange that people can be enthusiastic about this when they're so very critical of George Lucas for his over use of CGI in the prequels. I think the only way to do Star Wars is with models and real actors, none of this computer generated crap. :?

^this

Not much needs to be said in response. Which three films do you hold more dear, or hold up as groundbreaking works of film-making?

Sadly I don't think you'll find good actors who will work FOR FREE!

Look at all the various fan creations, pretty much all of them have lousy acting. Prop up with a decent plot and kickass graphics, you've made a decent Hollywood movie

:lol: Yes arf!

One of the more famous fan-films I thought was actually quite entertaining (and quite right after the soul-destroying download), but I doubt they'll get their mittens on GL's CGI technology :roll:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Make it with stick figures and MS Paint. It'll be brilliant.

Didn't care for Thrawn in any way, shape, or form, as I've already said. He was just invinsible. "Oh, you drew a pony. Now I know that a twenty degree latteral spin with the forward turbolasers firing while our fighters attempt an attack on a location thirteen decimal two eight meters from our own attack sight will make you run!

... And anyone that happens to be the same species as you, or from the same planet as you, as well. Unless you're a main character from the original trilogy."

That and I always got the feeling that he was slightly racist, describing every non-human character as a posession of a human character, or by species, with one of Karde's (sp?) friends saying something to the effect of, "That Gotal was my friend!" after the guy died in a firefight, without even giving a name (a name which, like most of his other ones, would likely result from whacking the keyboard with a cat) to this fellow's "friend."

He just added too much material with too little build-up for it (ala the Katana fleet that isn't even mentioned in passing in the first book and is the central plot of the second) and it failed miserably in my opinion. He is not the undesputed Tom Clancy of Star Wars! I dispute him! :evil:

[/rant] :roll:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

My point was that the CGI in the Star Wars movies was at least good, whereas most of this )except for some of the space clips) is simply amature. I'll stick with I.M.P.S.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

It wouldn't load in my FreeBSD FireFox web browser but I'm guessing it ends with a furry midget slitting Thrawn's neck on the bridge of the Chimera. :roll:

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Me too. But I guess that one reason why it´s totally made with computers is, that they may use the faces of Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill etc. Just watch the movie poster.

And it´s one thing to overload a movie made with real actors with CGI, like Ep. 1 - 3, and another if the whole movie is made with CGI like for example "Shrek".

Who cares at all?! :roll:

Tofu, Tofu, Tofu. I still think you need to be shot for blaspheming Thrawn.

I'm looking forward to the trailer downloading and actually playing.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Well what´s up to me, I´ve never read any of these novells. So I do not know anything nor that I´m also not very interested in the character of Thrawn. But a good SW-Fan Movie is allways nice. 8)
Who cares at all?! :roll:

I had bought the novels when long ago when they were released and read through them once or twice way back then. I dug them out of the attic and read them one chapter at a time as I crapped last summer. The first two novels are pretty good works but the last leaves a lot to be desired. Zahn rounded out the last book too swiftly. Thrawn got reckless when he had otherwise been a great tactician and then he gets slaughtered in a rather unclimatic ending. Regarding an animated version of the trilogy, it should be down ala South Park style. No cgi or actors.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

... I dug them out of the attic and read them one chapter at a time as I crapped last summer.

8O Budious, what ever did you eat that took a whole summer to crap? 8O:lol:

... Regarding an animated version of the trilogy, it should be down ala South Park style. ...

[/stan's voice]The bastard!! He killed Thrawn!![/voice off]

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I crapped one chapter, sometimes two, at a time... maybe more if I had BBQ baked beans.

Yeah, The Last Command did end rather swiftly. According to Zahn, he had essentially written himself into a corner, by which I mean, Thrawn had been developed to a point that he was almost impossible to defeat. Thus SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

...his assassination at the hands of his bodyguard. It seemed like the only logical conclusion given his inability to be tactically defeated. I know you think this is all rather far-fetched, Tofu, but there have been numerous examples in history of military commanders who were never defeated tactically, but rather something minute and truly unexpected ended it all.

We have to also consider that this was the first novel series to ever be released as a post-Return of the Jedi plot. Now, had Thrawn been developed in 1998/1999, we'd have a series equivalent in size and epic in stature to the New Jedi Order, the New Republic pitted against Thrawn in a series of twelve, or maybe even twenty novels. In truth, I think that may have actually been more beneficial and done Thrawn's campaign and demise even more justice. I can dream...

UPDATE: I just saw the trailer, and I have to say, I think it looks pretty bloody fantastic. I mean, I don't much about computers or CGI, but given that this is a free production with the fellows making it inducing all the costs, I think it's pretty darn fantastic! I'm very much looking forward to it and I hope it doesn't fall apart like many other much-expected fanfilms.

• SWR Staff - Executive

Sadly Thrawn has been mostly under Zahn's control. His background has been hinted in a number of short stories, he has a bit with Vader in a Zahn/Stackpole short story but I believe Thrawn's scenes were still all done by Zahn. But Zahn has given a number of characters for other authors to use and really expand the SW universe. Mara Jade, Rogue Squadron, the Solo twins (though they don't feature prominantly until the Jedi Academy books), the name Coruscant of course..

The only character to match Thrawn as an enemy leader in recent books would possibly be Shedao Shai. He was the Yuuzhan Vong commander who tried to learn from Elegos A'Kla. Sadly he didn't get many military victories and only was in two books.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Oh, jeez, I just realized something. The intro bit to the trailer says "Heir of the Empire"...when in fact the title of the first book is Heir TO the Empire!! This is thoroughly distressing if it's a sign of things to come. :(

UPDATE: Oh, and they spelled married as "maried".

I think I'll send them an email saying, "Nice graphics and all, but you might want a spell-check on the staff."

Can anyone say "BEAK"? :lol:

Yeah, The Last Command did end rather swiftly. According to Zahn, he had essentially written himself into a corner, by which I mean, Thrawn had been developed to a point that he was almost impossible to defeat. Thus SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

...his assassination at the hands of his bodyguard. It seemed like the only logical conclusion given his inability to be tactically defeated. I know you think this is all rather far-fetched, Tofu, but there have been numerous examples in history of military commanders who were never defeated tactically, but rather something minute and truly unexpected ended it all.

Still though, it was a lame ending for an otherwise great first two novels. What would have worked better would been for Capt. Pellion to lay down his life for Thrawn against Ruhk, he gets killed, Ruhk manages to stab Thrawn before stormtroopers shoot him down. The novel ends with Pell dead and Thrawn left in an unknown critical state in Chimera's medical ward. Cliff hanger style for future novels. Capt. Dorja gets promoted to Chimera's new captian in the meantime.

Many other lame aspects of the novel, Solo and Lando stopping the moles from stealing the rebel ships. Thrawn as a tactician in the novel would have disabled the software controls since each was being manually piloted by clone trooper assault teams anyways.

Jedi Master whatever his name was... Thrawn just should have saved Luke the trouble and killed this guy for his insubordination.

The delta source inside rebel HQ. Buried in the ground under a tree. LAME. It could have been used as a "decoy" for the real delta source who turns out to be Leia's assistant as everyone suspected the entire novel. In the end, she manages to snag one of the twins and to escape with the imperial special forces team leaving another cliff hanger with no follow up. After Thrawn's partial demise, Imperial forces fall off the radar and the New Republic doesn't know where to find them.

Still though, it was a lame ending for an otherwise great first two novels. What would have worked better would been for Capt. Pellion to lay down his life for Thrawn against Ruhk, he gets killed, Ruhk manages to stab Thrawn before stormtroopers shoot him down. The novel ends with Pell dead and Thrawn left in an unknown critical state in Chimera's medical ward. Cliff hanger style for future novels. Capt. Dorja gets promoted to Chimera's new captian in the meantime.

Many other lame aspects of the novel, Solo and Lando stopping the moles from stealing the rebel ships. Thrawn as a tactician in the novel would have disabled the software controls since each was being manually piloted by clone trooper assault teams anyways.

Jedi Master whatever his name was... Thrawn just should have saved Luke the trouble and killed this guy for his insubordination.

The delta source inside rebel HQ. Buried in the ground under a tree. LAME. It could have been used as a "decoy" for the real delta source who turns out to be Leia's assistant as everyone suspected the entire novel. In the end, she manages to snag one of the twins and to escape with the imperial special forces team leaving another cliff hanger with no follow up. After Thrawn's partial demise, Imperial forces fall off the radar and the New Republic doesn't know where to find them.

I agree with you 100%, except for your alternate ending. Not sure if killing Pellaeon would have been the way to go. Pellaeon was something of the symbol of Imperial prestige, the average Imperial military officer just doing his duty, trying to get along. Killing Pellaeon off would be equatable to killing off the Empire as Pellaeon, in many ways, is the symbol of the post-Endor Empire.

And Dorja to command Chimaera? :?:?: He already commanded the Relentless. It's not like warships, even flagships, have a chain-of-command. It's the personnel, not the ship itself...

Yes, but traditionally the second highest ranked officer assumes captain duty aboard the fleet's flagship, in this case Chimera. If Pell was dead and Thrawn injured and unable to assume command then he would want his most competent man at his side to coordinate fleet operations. I assumed from the book that both Pell and Dorja operate as Captains of their respective ships but each has a rank similar to Rear Admiral, as Thrawn often in the book makes communications to Dorja and he often leads the second assault force in the simultaneous attacks that Thrawns plans throughout the battles.

Yes, but traditionally the second highest ranked officer assumes captain duty aboard the fleet's flagship, in this case Chimera. If Pell was dead and Thrawn injured and unable to assume command then he would want his most competent man at his side to coordinate fleet operations. I assumed from the book that both Pell and Dorja operate as Captains of their respective ships but each has a rank similar to Rear Admiral, as Thrawn often in the book makes communications to Dorja and he often leads the second assault force in the simultaneous attacks that Thrawns plans throughout the battles.
If you say so. I, personally, have never heard that line of hierarchy before in any navy. In this particular case, I would have assumed that Thrawn favored those captains, and by extension those vessels, in his immediate command, namely his armada, an image of which can be found here. Given also in the first chapter of Heir to the Empire wherein Thrawn instructs Pellaeon to communicate with Captain Harbid aboard the Death's Head their intention to leave the Fleet for a few days, I would have assumed this meant Harbid was the de facto third-in-line (if Pellaeon is second and Thrawn is first). Besides, there's a comment in Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future that explicitly states that Dorja never worked directly under Thrawn's command, which seems to imply he had some sort of step between. Granted, there is a scene in The Last Command where Dorja receives orders directly from Thrawn, I'm still inclined to put Harbid in that next slot before Dorja, and then Brandei (Judicator) after Harbid and before Dorja, as well.