The Drayson Incident

Guest Scathane

Guest Scathane
If you're talking about ranks, SOCL, I hate to disappoint you but Midshipman isn't one of them...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're talking about ranks, SOCL, I hate to disappoint you but Midshipman isn't one of them...
Hey, Scath, I'm not stupid. Midshipman is the "rank"/title of an officer cadet in the Navy. I guess I should have made it clearer: I've decided to attend the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, USA and join the Navy as an officer. When I say I'll be a midshipman by then, I mean I'll be an officer cadet at the U.S. Naval Academy. :D

Guest Scathane

Hey, Scath, I'm not stupid. Midshipman is the "rank"/title of an officer cadet in the Navy. I guess I should have made it clearer: I've decided to attend the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, USA and join the Navy as an officer. When I say I'll be a midshipman by then, I mean I'll be an officer cadet at the U.S. Naval Academy. :D
Congratulations, SOCL!!! When are you starting there?

Congratulations, SOCL!!!
Thanks, Scath! You're the first person to actually congratulate me (except my family). I guess it has to do with the fact that I live on an Army base and everyone here either dislikes the Navy simply because of the Army/Navy rivalry or thinks that everyone in the Navy is a homosexual (even though, statistically there are more homosexuals in the Army than the Navy. . . .).

When are you starting there?
I start fall of 2004. I'm actually still debating whether to accept and go to Annapolis or go the Navy ROTC way. . . . What do you guys think?: should I go Naval Academy or Naval ROTC?

The Naval Return Of The Clones?!? What does it really stand for?

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

The Naval Return Of The Clones?!? What does it really stand for?
In another thread when I first joined I mentioned ROTC and I believe it was Scath who suggested it meant Return of the Clones. Okay, ROTC is an American military corps that trains college students to be officers in the military (not a forced class, but something you can opt. to take if you wish to enter the military as an officer). Using the ROTC programs gets your college paid for 100% by the military to any college you wish (you must, of course, be accepted to the college first). NROTC stands for Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps. AROTC is Army, AFROTC is Air Force, and MCROTC is Marine Corps. Did that clear things up?

Guest Scathane
I'm actually still debating whether to accept and go to Annapolis or go the Navy ROTC way. . . . What do you guys think?: should I go Naval Academy or Naval ROTC?
That's a question only you can answer, SOCL.

I'm actually still debating whether to accept and go to Annapolis or go the Navy ROTC way. . . . What do you guys think?: should I go Naval Academy or Naval ROTC?
That's a question only you can answer, SOCL.
True, but I would like to know you guys' and girls' opinions.

Guest Scathane
Well, I'm flattered, but it's your choice man... I dion't know enough about what the two comprise to have an opinion, really.

Well, I'm flattered, but it's your choice man... I dion't know enough about what the two comprise to have an opinion, really.
Oh, I see. Well . . . I could always explain them, but it would take be quite long and take some time. . . .

Time for the return of my explanations :twisted: . . . unless someone objects. . . .

I'll make it short and sweet.

The Naval Academy at Annapolis is where the best of the best midsipmen go, but it's a 100% military environment. It requires A LOT more paperwork at least one congressional appointment/recommendation to enter. At Annapolis get direct military training every single day and am obligated/guaranteed a commission into the Navy. It'll only cost me $1500 for the uniforms, the rest is free.

The Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) is a college program intended to train college students to be Naval officers, but at regular colleges. It's a voluntary class, of course, but with a NROTC scholarship, I can attend any college I want (that has a NROTC progam in it, of course) while I major in whatever field I wish. If I attend NROTC without the scholarship, I have until my junior (3rd) year to decide whether or not I want a commission into the Navy. With the scholarship I have an obligation to serve at least four years in the Navy. Along with that the NROTC program allows me to be in a civilian environment with military training along the side. The scholarship pays full tuition, board, etc. It'll only cost me $1500 for the uniforms.

So, what do you say? I gave the rough details, any specific questions: just ask.

Guest Scathane
Yeah, question here... At the Naval Academy, you wouldn't be able to major in a specific field?

Yeah, question here... At the Naval Academy, you wouldn't be able to major in a specific field?
Well, the Naval Academy only offers certain majors, about a total of four broad fields, all relating with engineering (which I dislike). I get to choose amongst those four.

Guest Scathane

Well, the Naval Academy only offers certain majors, about a total of four broad fields, all relating with engineering (which I dislike). I get to choose amongst those four.
Aren't there majors in psychology, medicine and law as well?

Aren't there majors in psychology, medicine and law as well?
You know what, I may have been wrong on what majors they have. I believe those are offered as well, but then again, the Naval Academy is really only for undergrad studies since most people only go there for their four years of college before entering the Navy, and unless they're returning to teach, never ever return (whether it's because they do not wish to or never have the time to do so).

Guest Scathane
How am I supposed to do that? Make up possible ranks for ElvisMiggell and post those as poll options? :roll:

How am I supposed to do that? Make up possible ranks for ElvisMiggell and post those as poll options? :roll:
:? What? You confuse me. I thought we were talking about whether I should go to the Naval Academy or go the NROTC way. I just meant for you to make a poll over that, but I think I know what I'm going to do....