Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

budious

LucasArts put two videos about the technology driving this new upcoming title on their website. Pretty neat stuff they are doing here... virtual demonstrations provided in video links.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/gameinfo/news/technology.html

DMM -- exclusive to LucasArts for any game releases through September 2008 -- brings an unprecedented level of realism to the new generation of consoles by making completely interactive environments that react as they would in real life. From crumbling walls to shattering glass and even swaying organic plant life, in-game objects have material properties that behave realistically all in real time and without using a single frame of animation.

A revolutionary behavioral-simulation engine, euphoria simulates the unpredictability of real life where no two experiences are ever the same. For the first time ever, euphoria enables interactive characters to move, act and even think like actual human beings, adapting their behavior on the fly and resulting in a different payoff ever single time.

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

My old Rebellion site (very web 1.0) - Bud's Korner and Rebellion Strategy

Yeah Bob... looks promising... I haven't stolen a LucasArts title of the internet in ages. I will definitely be downloading this the day the torrent hits. If it lives up the hype I might even buy it 8O

"In the future it will become easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988. [u.S. Congressional hearing testimony on film preservation.]

I am very exited about this game... Maybe on the Wii, with the controller controlling the lightsaber!

You would think that with LucasArts investing so much money in the technology for this the game would also spawn a "glove" controller for the force?

That'd be some awesome gusto.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

I am very exited about this game... Maybe on the Wii, with the controller controlling the lightsaber!

You would think that with LucasArts investing so much money in the technology for this the game would also spawn a "glove" controller for the force?

That'd be some awesome gusto.

The isssue with that is that using a force power would require a movement of the hand which wouldn't accidentally occur- say, curving your hand as though around a neck- that hand motion can naturally occur if you have to pick anything up, such as a game controller.

Force motions would be unnatural, and ultimately frustrate fans. That's my two bits, anyway.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Oh man... a Wii glove... that would spawn so many other adult oriented game releases :D

Oh man... a Wii glove... that would spawn so many other adult oriented game releases :D

Hahaha.

If there was a glove it could be used in accordance with the buttons on the controller. Like b for some sort of force power and then using your hand to direct it.

It's a little overcomplicated but I think it would be fun.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Are you guys too young to remember the Original Glove and the horrible sales it experienced? .. hahaha.. i remember this thing... quite hope they do nothing of the sort to the Wii...

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

The P5 Power Glove is amazingly, horrible. I recently bought one as a joke and tried to use it and I came to the conclusion that I cannot. The sensor is so untuned that when you move your hand anything that you are controling with it will fly away, since I have two moniters -- usually to another moniter altogether!

And, isn't this Forces Unleashed game only for the consoles? Kindof a let down if I may say, StarWars should always be a PC genre too.

I assume it would be available on PC being it appears the tech demonstration videos are on PC. It says all next generation consoles and PS2/PSP/NDS so if they are coding for XBOX 360 it's not much difference going to PC before compile time.

Looks like a pretty good title in the spirit of other Knights of the Old Republic, but I'm concerned...

The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force by taking full advantage of newly developed technologies that will be seen and experienced for the first time...

When they start talking about re-imagining the Force and all of its facets just because of the new technology available, I can't help but scream "BLASPHEMY!"

Okay, so after getting kicked out of the campus library for apparently having a "loud outburst", I've thought more about it, but still can't help but...cringe. Basically, this is what they did with the Force (midieffinchlorians!) in the prequels. I mean, the Force was only manipulated for combat purposes in the original trilogy by the bad guys: Vader and the Emperor. Then in all of the prequels we see the Jedi using it like some sort of built-in finger gun to unleash insane attacks on opponents. Why? Well, the technology.

Maybe as I get older (and I'm not that old yet!) I become more nostalgic and stop enjoying all the rubbish they keep adding to Star Wars. Hell, I never thought I'd wish they'd stop printing Star Wars novels or would cringe at the sound of "George Lucas directing" in any combination, but it's the truth. This title just makes me worry even more about the franchise.

I didn't post it because I give a crap about Star Wars... the prequels flushed all that down the toilet for me years ago. I was just impressed by the new graphic splintering models and the environment aware npc stormtroopers.

• 2 weeks later...

Only four force powers though, seems a little... weak?

I'm sure Vader's secret apprentice would have learnt more, i mean look at Mara Jade in Allegiance and all the powers she uses.

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

• 2 weeks later...
As i traditionnally say in times like this:

I say wait and see.

Patience? Wisdom? Who are you and what have you done with the real Mad?

On the four force powers thing: Maybe Vader was being smart. The Sith are traditionally rather ruthless, willing to slay their Masters and whatnot, so why would Vader want his apprentice to be able to do anything he couldn't counter? If he can do four things with devestating effects but Vader can counter those four things, he still has a useful tool, and on top of that needn't worry about being attacked by it. Just my two cents.

12/14/07

• 3 months later...

Woo! I am Dr. Frankenthread! :roll:

I recently read through the NJO duology of novels Enemy Lines. Well, in it, there is mention of a Force nexus underneath the spot where the Jedi Temple had been located. It gave Irek Ismaren/Lord Nyax insanely cranked up Force powers. I wonder if the over-the-top nature of the Force in this game has something to do with a Force nexus... Perhaps the same one from Enemy Lines...

Er, right. So, for those of you who haven't yet seen the teaser trailer, here's a link to it on YouTube.

Here's another cool video on Force Unleashed, an interview. Enjoy. :P

However I am dissapointed that he didn't mention this coming out on PC at all. :x PC always gets the Star Wars games that are released for consoles! Sometimes they're a tad differant, but the PC damn near always gets those games! And now they aren't giving us cheapskates who only have PCs the chance to play? In the words of Darth Vader: N()()()()()()()000000000000000000000000OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

Oh well. My friend has an X-box Three Sixty and really wants the game. He said he'd let me go for it once he beats it. I can do that. Or actually apply for a job and save up to buy all that stuff... Nah. The first one is easier.

12/14/07

However I am dissapointed that he didn't mention this coming out on PC at all. :x PC always gets the Star Wars games that are released for consoles! Sometimes they're a tad differant, but the PC damn near always gets those games! And now they aren't giving us cheapskates who only have PCs the chance to play? In the words of Darth Vader: N()()()()()()()000000000000000000000000OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

Oh well. My friend has an X-box Three Sixty and really wants the game. He said he'd let me go for it once he beats it. I can do that. Or actually apply for a job and save up to buy all that stuff... Nah. The first one is easier.

That's because almost no computer could play it, it would need a dedicated system, I.E. consol, to run these things. DMM and Euphoria would use up simply too much power from the various processors, like the CPU or GPU.

Any mid-high end computer has the stuff to run it, especially if it has a PPU, the problem is that it isn't completely dedicated to the the game at all times, like a PS3 or 360. It has to run whatever programs in the background; even if it's only explorer, it's just too devided to run somthing like 'The Force Unleashed'.

Take for instance, my computer is better than my 360, in just about every way, but it still can't run Oblivion as well.

I'll probably be buying it for the PS3, because Mr. Omernick(Art Director for SW:TFU) said that it would look better on a PS3 than a 360.

But I can't wait for this one, it's up on the list with Halo 3, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank 5, Starcraft 2, and Sim City Societies. The end of this year, is going to ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/Dave-Mastor/Cluster6.jpg