Katanna Fleet (Dark Force)

SOCL

Question

Has anyone other than myself actually ever attempted to build the ~200 Dreadnaught Katanna fleet? I have actually done it before and it is GREAT! Imagine 200 Dreadnaughts suddenly appearing in orbit over your system and take out your fleet within seconds, then bomb the hell out of your planet! foaming at mouth . . .

It's great to be an Imperial. :D

• Answers 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You are quite right, Commodore Trejivanat. I never meant to imply that the STAR WARS ranking system is the same as that of any country (I thought I made that quite clear, but apparently my examples or real-life situations confused the readers), but I what I have posted on this forum as the ranking system is about as close to canon as you're going to get. I have done extensive research (I mean HOURS upon HOURS of research), along with the combined research of others (i.e. Dr. Curtis Saxton and MANY, MANY others).

About Wedge's promotion: I was simply saying that by the time of Anderson's trilogy he was a general, in no way did I mean he was promoted at that time. I try to choose my words carefully and hope that readers would read them carefully.

Colonel Scathane, you are quite correct. According to interviews and e-mails and "snail"-mail I have read and interacted with the different STAR WARS authors, they did get different answers from different people. In regard to the ranking system, most of them couldn't find a clear concise answer from anyone at LucasFilm, so they took their best guess (most basing the ranks off the U.S.'s own, which I have NOT done with what I wrote in these forums).

Simply put: What I try to do with my research and writing I spread is do what Dr. Curtis Saxton attempts to do with the STAR WARS Technical Commentaries site and that is "[use] the methods and language of science to consider the question: 'If the STAR WARS universe were real, how would its phenomena be understood?' "

By the way, congratulations, Trejiuvanat and Scathane, on your respective promotions. :D

Guest Scathane
You are quite right, Commodore Trejivanat. I never meant to imply that the STAR WARS ranking system is the same as that of any country (I thought I made that quite clear, but apparently my examples or real-life situations confused the readers), but I what I have posted on this forum as the ranking system is about as close to canon as you're going to get. I have done extensive research (I mean HOURS upon HOURS of research), along with the combined research of others (i.e. Dr. Curtis Saxton and MANY, MANY others).

About Wedge's promotion: I was simply saying that by the time of Anderson's trilogy he was a general, in no way did I mean he was promoted at that time. I try to choose my words carefully and hope that readers would read them carefully.

Sometimes, it's the readers themselves who are somewhat out of key with regard to plain reading, Corporal SOCL, so don't eat yourself up about it. :wink:

Colonel Scathane, you are quite correct. According to interviews and e-mails and "snail"-mail I have read and interacted with the different STAR WARS authors, they did get different answers from different people. In regard to the ranking system, most of them couldn't find a clear concise answer from anyone at LucasFilm, so they took their best guess (most basing the ranks off the U.S.'s own, which I have NOT done with what I wrote in these forums).
Good research, Corporal SOCL, I thought as much! :D

Simply put: What I try to do with my research and writing I spread is do what Dr. Curtis Saxton attempts to do with the STAR WARS Technical Commentaries site and that is "[use] the methods and language of science to consider the question: 'If the STAR WARS universe were real, how would its phenomena be understood?' "
To be honest, I still think he's right. Moreover it would be pretty cool to have a good and sound ranking system. I bet we'd be one of the few web communiteis to have it. 8)

Note to Trejiuvanat:

Quit beating this guy up about him comparing ranking systems from the real world and the Star Wars universe. You yourself often make reference to real-world issues, such as J.L. Borges, Buddha, etc. Corporal SOCL is doing a good job!

I think I should start this post off with an apology. I didn't mean to suddenly appear and start blaring and acting belligerent. I just wanted to try to bring facts to the STAR WARS community to help correct errors and common mistakes and assumptions people generally make. And what I put out is comprised with research and facts, not speculation and guesses. Along those lines, I realize that everything in STAR WARS does not have to make sense in accordance to Earth, but our languages, sciences, and mathematics are all we have, so I do what can be done.

. . . I'm merely trying to be the voice of reason . . . and help.

Guest Scathane
I think I should start this post off with an apology. I didn't mean to suddenly appear and start blaring and acting belligerent. I just wanted to try to bring facts to the STAR WARS community to help correct errors and common mistakes and assumptions people generally make. And what I put out is comprised with research and facts, not speculation and guesses. Along those lines, I realize that everything in STAR WARS does not have to make sense in accordance to Earth, but our languages, sciences, and mathematics are all we have, so I do what can be done.

. . . I'm merely trying to be the voice of reason . . . and help.

No reason to apologize, SOCL! First of all, you have done this quite enough since you've been on these forums. And Second, these forums are a platform where one can express his/her opinions. If others don't agree, then they can choose to debate or they can ignore the topic. A keen mind and a sharp eye for detail are always good to have around!

Goopta mo bossa, peedunkee!

Guest Scathane
COL Scathane, if you don't mind me asking, do you agree with Dr. Curtis Saxton's Technical Commentaries?
I'd have to check, lemme get back on that. :)

I think you shall be quite pleased by it, Colonel. Much of my research came from their and most everything I state is what he writes or based on such. It's quite extensive, though, and may be overwhelming if you try to read it all at once. I would suggest that every STAR WARS fan (like us) read it and take time to digest it all. Please, sir, read it with an open mind and be ready to read many facts that may, at first, seem wrong. Even so, it's worth reading! :D

Guest Scathane

I've sort of browsed through it, realising that reading it entirely is going to tae at least a year! I must say that Saxton's work (and that of others, as he graciously admits through his acknowledgements) is quite impressive. And I'm using an eufemism here!

With regard to mixing reality with the Star Wars universe: I think it's a good thing for someone like Saxton to have an article about the Endo Holocaust by the demise of the Death Star. Even the Star Wars universe cannot ignore that!

"What happens when you detonate a spherical metal honeycomb over five hundred miles wide just above the atmosphere of a habitable world? Regardless of specifics, the world won't remain habitable for long."
    Source: Endor Holocaust: Ewok extermination due to impact of battle station debris - by Dr. Curtis Saxton
    Full article: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

I agree 100%! His research is so well done and on so many facts and canon that you can basically not argue with it.

And, yes, Colonel Scathane, it does take about a year to read it all (I have a little left before I've finally read every word of information on that site). I would suggest reading the sections on "Military Organisation" and "Insignia and Uniforms", concentrating on that of the Galactic Empire (respective links: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/order.html, http://www.theforce.net/swtc/insignia/, and http://www.theforce.net/swtc/insignia/empire.html). Those three links will get you directly to the "meat" of the information I've been posting like a mad man around this forum. You'll notice some subtile differences between our research into the area regarding rank, but close to none at all.

Guest Scathane
His research is so well done and on so many facts and canon that you can basically not argue with it.
That is seldom true, SOCL. In fact, it is a known technique to dazzle people with facts to hide the questionability of your theories...

That is seldom true, SOCL. In fact, it is a known technique to dazzle people with facts to hide the questionability of your theories...

Quite true. As a matter of fact, I used to do that and weasle my way through research papers way back in middle school, always blowing the teachers away and getting A's for doing nothing more than repeating the same thing over and over again, but with enourmous words. No need to worry, though, I do not do that now. In addition, I seriously doubt Dr. Saxton's research is like that (considering I have double-checked what I thought to be questionable and found he was true). After all, what would a doctor in theoretical physics--I believe it is--have to gain from that?

Guest Scathane
Quite true. As a matter of fact, I used to do that and weasle my way through research papers way back in middle school, always blowing the teachers away and getting A's for doing nothing more than repeating the same thing over and over again, but with enourmous words.
I believe that! :D

No need to worry, though, I do not do that now.
I doubt that!! :lol::lol:

In addition, I seriously doubt Dr. Saxton's research is like that (considering I have double-checked what I thought to be questionable and found he was true). After all, what would a doctor in theoretical physics--I believe it is--have to gain from that?
One never knows, one never knows... 8O

In addition, I seriously doubt Dr. Saxton's research is like that (considering I have double-checked what I thought to be questionable and found he was true). After all, what would a doctor in theoretical physics--I believe it is--have to gain from that?
One never knows, one never knows... 8O

I hope you're joking because such a highly educated person has nothing to gain from such a thing, especially in the realm of STAR WARS.

Guest Scathane
But I doubt Dr. Saxton would do that, nonetheless (not saying that you think that he does, but simply stating such).
Based on what?

Well, there is not apparent motive. I can not think of a single reason why someone with a doctorate in theoretical physics would want to do such a thing. Looking at it even closer, need for approval or acceptance into the STAR WARS universe are almost out the window (since he has a well-credited STAR WARS website, is known by many, and has written a STAR WARS book . . . not a novel; he wrote the cross-section book for Attack of the Clones). Realistically speaking, there is no true motive that would fit his characteristics to do what has been suggested.

It'll be very hard to explain the physics of star wars. Because there is none, otherwise you wouldn't see tie in flames in space or hear them.

Gl did not do an exhaustive research of physics to create star wars, he just had a story and built it into the space-era.

Waht Dr. Saxton does, is treating Star Wars like an ofshoot of our reality, not as anotehr reality itself.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

It is the same reality, Trej. The galaxy is not in a parallel universe amongst the multiverses, but is, instead, "in a galaxy far, far away", which means within our own universe. Because it is within our own universe, the physics still apply (especially those of quantum, not only Newtonian). Yes, we would never see TIE fighter exploding in space due to a lack of oxygen to cause such an explosion, but if you read through the Technical Commentaries you will find an explanation for not only that, but the sound of the explotion in space . . . all explained through physics. That's right, physics. I've also double and triple checked most of those findings and can confirm that they all seem correct, unless my physics professor is incorrect, as well as most of the physics department. But then again, the whole point to this is not to argue over astrophysical concerns.

Now, I never said Mr. Lucas tried to make everything in STAR WARS scientifically accurate, but that isn't the point to my research and what I post. The point to it is to make it make sense in accordance to our Earthly sciences, mathematics, and languages.

Now, of course, I'm keeping an open mind. I've done my research and choose to believe that what I have found is as close to canon as one can almost possibly get. If you disgree with me, that's fine, for that's the point to forums. But I present well-researched facts and theories that are nowhere near the speculation the average fan makes. Therefore, if you have any compelling evidence of canon (meaning, almost straight from Lucas' mouth), then bring it forward . . . I encourage it . . . I go so far as to say: I implore you to do so....

I honestly believe, Trej, you missed the whole point to everything that I have attempted to explain, as well as the entire point to Dr. Saxton's Technical Commentaries.

It isn't the same reality, Star Wars is a reality that exist in our mind. The attractiveness of star wars comes in part because of the epic part, the magical part you'll only find in literature. It depends on each person's point of view how much he/she wants star wars ressemble reality. You and Dr. Saxton try to make it as real as possible, you want to take physics and maths and science into consideration. It's exahustive work, and it's good that he allows sw fans of all around the world to check them out. But i'll stick to see sw as a reality not as a galaxy far far away in our same universe. I'll have to remind you that the SWTC aren't cannon either.

It isn't the same reality, Star Wars is a reality that exist in our mind. The attractiveness of star wars comes in part because of the epic part, the magical part you'll only find in literature. It depends on each person's point of view how much he/she wants star wars ressemble reality. You and Dr. Saxton try to make it as real as possible, you want to take physics and maths and science into consideration. It's exahustive work, and it's good that he allows sw fans of all around the world to check them out. But i'll stick to see sw as a reality not as a galaxy far far away in our same universe. I'll have to remind you that the SWTC aren't cannon either.

Guest Scathane
Q:How long ago is a long time ago? And how far is the galaxy that’s far, far away? Was this ever decided or is the concept just left open to our imagination?
A: Unlike hard science fiction such as Star Trek, where the action clearly stems from a civilization on our own planet and takes place in a definable future, Star Wars is a fantasy. As such, it doesn’t have to obey any of the laws of physics, of space, or time. George Lucas deliberately left it vague and open to fan speculation--that’s part of the fun of Star Wars. It’s other-worldly, yet somehow familiar. It’s futuristic, yet somehow anachronistic.

George could answer a lot of the fans’ specific questions, either in the films or spin-off fiction, but deliberately doesn’t. Some of the answers are in his notes and binders, others are in his head. But speculation, he believes, is healthy. It helps to create a broader, denser Star Wars galaxy and gives fans more of a sense of ownership--rightly so.

Being less restrictive also lets individual’s creative juices flow and pushes their imaginations. Over the years Star Wars films and spin-offs have inspired creativity and creative careers in countless men and women all over the world.

Source: http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20000515.html

I must say that I like a little of both: it's good to have some physics but on the other hand, don't kill the legend with too much laws of physics. For instance, for me personally, it was a total turnoff to have Qui-Gon test Anaking on midi-chlorians with a device. I'm more from the old school, where a Jedi Knight or Master says things like The Force is strong in this one purely on feeling that.

nevertheless, I agree wit Trejiuvanat that this is a choice every Star Wars fan makes for him or herself. :)

Scathane agreeing with my Yuuzhan-Vong-induced logic and thoughts??? I thought that impossible.

Yes, that thing with the midi-chlorians sucks. I always liked more the Force is an energy field that all creatures create, it binds the galaxy together, was more mystical and in the end more attractive.